Share your Mini Displays and brag a little! I need ideas! ;)

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Noctu

Share your Mini Displays and brag a little! I need ideas! ;)

Postby Noctu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 pm

When I first began collecting, my minis just lined up in front of my books, like a rally of zombies against literature. This was not always convenient (I do actually read those books) and it sort of felt like I was not doing my minis justice. They may be little but they aren't insignificant (imagine a rallying cry here).

That led me down the dark path of displays. I hemmed and hawed, did a bunch of googling and finally settled on a bookshelf that I could add foam board risers to (thank you hot glue gun for providing the structural integrity with minimal effort on my part). I have been debating buying some plexiglass and making a door to keep the dust out while also preventing the tiny hands of miniature sized humans who come to visit me from playing with my collection. They eye me dubiously when I insist they aren't toys.

I just think it won't take long until I outgrow it and need more places to store my collection. Right now I have a small mix of off-brand interlopers, and some vintage toys from youth added in to fill space around my actual Mystery Mini collection. (My apologies, but this picture came out really dark, and when I lightened it the pixels were not happy but the point is more just to share the display specifically for minis than to highlight my obsession.)
I have limited space, so I kind of think the only correct choice of action (when my collection grows enough) is to move. That said, I am terribly curious how everyone else handles their displays, be they large or small! So feel free to chime in and share… who knows, you may inspire someone to change up their display!
Last edited by Noctu on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Lyn. I know, confusing because I'm also Noctu. In real life I have a whole face too. Your mind blown yet? If not, keep talking... It's bound to splatter. XD

Shavedcrx

Re: Share your Displays and brag a little! I need ideas! ;)

Postby Shavedcrx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Chris
ISO: Kylo Ren and Wreck it Ralph Protos

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I did actually look there, perhaps I shall edit the title to focus just on minis and narrow the scope a bit. But thank you! ;)
I'm Lyn. I know, confusing because I'm also Noctu. In real life I have a whole face too. Your mind blown yet? If not, keep talking... It's bound to splatter. XD

ShyGuyPal

Re: Share your Mini Displays and brag a little! I need ideas

Postby ShyGuyPal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 pm

I like your display! I just have mine in front of my television, off to the side. It's starting to get bigger, so I might put them above my television set now. What stands are you using for the second row?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 am

I took some foam board (black with a white core) and cut it into strips sized to fit in the shelves. Then, using 3 strips, I glued the top one onto the remaining two... The flattened U shape was strong enough to support the minis and I liked the way the white core made a line of separation between my rows. Without the risers it would have been such a waste of space, and space is at a premium. They're pretty easy to make actually, and they look good (if I do say so myself).

Cthulhu Mythos

Postby Cthulhu Mythos » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:14 am

First off really cool set up Noctu. I also clicked the link Shaved shared and wow that post goes back to 2011. I just started collecting funko, mostly minis and a few pops, about 6 months ago. Since then I have tried to complete the sets that I like as they come out (GoT, WD, Sci-Fi, DC and Marvel). Looking at some of those posts though is just overwhelming with all the convention exclusives, chases, etc etc. I almost wish like I could time travel back 5 or so years so I could pick up some of those amazing vinyls at non-Ebay prices.

studioki

Postby studioki » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 am

Check out the figure display case from container store (www.containerstore.com) It can fit an entire series of minis. They stack. They are enclosed so they dont get dusty or invite the unwashed masses to play with them. They are $10 each.

ZartansBro

Postby ZartansBro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:47 am

studioki wrote:Check out the figure display case from container store (http://www.containerstore.com) It can fit an entire series of minis. They stack. They are enclosed so they dont get dusty or invite the unwashed masses to play with them. They are $10 each.

That's awesome! When you say they can fit an entire series of minis, how many minis are you picturing? I know some series have as few as 12 figures while others have 20 or more.
Wanted Minis: Stone Zuul/Terror Dog, Grady Twins, Scarred Chucky, GITD Pennywise, Zombie Ed, Guitar Crow, B&W Alfred Hitchcock, Spider Leg Pennywise, Henry Bowers, FYE Eddie, FYE Beverly, HT Bill, HT Ben

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 pm

I use the Copco kitchen shelf racks to display my minis (I.E., see my signature). They were displayed one the shelves on my computer desk, but now that I'm moving I'm hoping to have a little more room to display them better. I'm trying to avoid putting them in bookshelves, just because my wife and I already have so many other bookshelves for, you know, books.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 pm

studioki wrote:Check out the figure display case from container store (http://www.containerstore.com) It can fit an entire series of minis. They stack. They are enclosed so they dont get dusty or invite the unwashed masses to play with them. They are $10 each.

I got two of those today, and one was able to hold all my current Sci-Fi and Horror minis (14 at the moment) plus room for two more! I would post a picture but I can't do that at the moment. It looks great though, and very professional looking (as professional as figurines can look!).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

DeannaF7

Postby DeannaF7 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:55 pm

I am going to be building a wooden wall display shelf in the next two weeks. It is going to be 24" x 48" so it'll fit plenty of minis. I'll post pictures once I am finished and instructions also if anyone is interested.

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Noctu wrote:When I first began collecting, my minis just lined up in front of my books, like a rally of zombies against literature. This was not always convenient (I do actually read those books) and it sort of felt like I was not doing my minis justice. They may be little but they aren't insignificant (imagine a rallying cry here).

That led me down the dark path of displays. I hemmed and hawed, did a bunch of googling and finally settled on a bookshelf that I could add foam board risers to (thank you hot glue gun for providing the structural integrity with minimal effort on my part). I have been debating buying some plexiglass and making a door to keep the dust out while also preventing the tiny hands of miniature sized humans who come to visit me from playing with my collection. They eye me dubiously when I insist they aren't toys.

I just think it won't take long until I outgrow it and need more places to store my collection. Right now I have a small mix of off-brand interlopers, and some vintage toys from youth added in to fill space around my actual Mystery Mini collection. (My apologies, but this picture came out really dark, and when I lightened it the pixels were not happy but the point is more just to share the display specifically for minis than to highlight my obsession.)
I have limited space, so I kind of think the only correct choice of action (when my collection grows enough) is to move. That said, I am terribly curious how everyone else handles their displays, be they large or small! So feel free to chime in and share… who knows, you may inspire someone to change up their display!

Love your collection! I am having the hardest time figuring out how to display my minis too. I have the shot glass case from Michael's for my Vinylmation so might go that route for my minis too but don't have too much spare wall space so am interested in other ideas!

And IS THAT A LIFE SIZE R2 UNIT??
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Looks like the Pepsi cooler. Mine's in a little worse shape :-/
Marty
Funklub member #1093

danzaddiction

Postby danzaddiction » Tue May 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Noctu wrote:I did actually look there, perhaps I shall edit the title to focus just on minis and narrow the scope a bit. But thank you! ;)

I hate when people do that. It can be a similar topic without being a duplicate on a thread with 1000s of posts on it.
See below for my current display, which I am not all that pleased with. I am supposed to move soon (assuming that a 3rd buyer doesn't back out...there's still time for yet another person to back out after they've signed contracts) and I plan on doing a display for my Minis as well. I own a few Pop! items, but I much prefer the Minis. I too, would also like ideas for a display.

That said, the case I got from Michaels was quite nice, and there's always a 40% off coupon online that you can use in store in addition to the usual big discounts. They have ones designed for Shot Glasses that are quite big.

Cthulhu Mythos wrote:First off really cool set up Noctu. I also clicked the link Shaved shared and wow that post goes back to 2011. I just started collecting funko, mostly minis and a few pops, about 6 months ago. Since then I have tried to complete the sets that I like as they come out (GoT, WD, Sci-Fi, DC and Marvel). Looking at some of those posts though is just overwhelming with all the convention exclusives, chases, etc etc. I almost wish like I could time travel back 5 or so years so I could pick up some of those amazing vinyls at non-Ebay prices.

Totally man, I only kinda collected and didn't even know there was a community for these things. I just thought they were random items I saw at Comic shops. I missed out on quite a few cool series. And since I live in San Diego and I've never even been to Comic Con, I miss out even more!

yellowrice
HoF 2014 & Spirit
HoF 2014 & Spirit

Postby yellowrice » Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm

If I was planning to display my Minis in a nice way, I would go this route:

I saw this in Vegas. I would probably do some variation of this, change the background colour to suit a certain series, probably widen the squares cause certain minis are bigger etc... you get my point.
James
Suit up! For tonight is going to be Legend... wait for it...

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Wed May 06, 2015 12:41 pm

I have a ton of minis, but all are just shelf grouped by series. I want to step it up and fix them properly and nicely.
2012 Rookie of the Year

hunterc

Postby hunterc » Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Yeah I need to find a new display as well. Have way to many now. Haha got out of hand quickly. Doesn't It drive you crazy when you cant get A common or two no matter how many you open!!!
Pops-221
Vinyl -15

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Sun May 31, 2015 9:30 pm

DeannaF7 wrote:I am going to be building a wooden wall display shelf in the next two weeks. It is going to be 24" x 48" so it'll fit plenty of minis. I'll post pictures once I am finished and instructions also if anyone is interested.

I definitely think you should post pictures… it's kind of awesome seeing how everyone handles their collection of minis. :D

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 pm

a99kitten wrote:And IS THAT A LIFE SIZE R2 UNIT??

Heh, that is in fact life-size. But before we get super duper excited, he is technically a cooler (you reach in through the front of the dome and pull your bottle off the ice… which requires drainage, which I do not have in my living room, and thus he obediently holds spare blankets). I made a killer halloween display one year with him, set up a projector inside of his head… I might go a little overboard with Halloween though. You know, that should really be my catchphrase. "I might go a little overboard with…"

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 pm

And now for a mass reply… I got all busy and didn't get to check back in. Bad me! May a great shame fall upon my home! Lol. My battle with displaying always comes down to a semi nomadic lifestyle and space. If you move every few years, it is kind of hard to build speciality things to hold your obsession in… plus renting often means not wanting to drill into the walls. I adore the Michael's units, and that fancy wall hanging chess display. If I wasn't potentially running off again, I would have fantasies of building displays onto the wall like that, then boxing them in with a light acrylic or some such to fight off the dust. For me, post opening the boxes in a glut of pleasure, I really do enjoy admiring my hoard.

I too did not realize the scope of the community that existed for us. I somewhat blame that on geographic location. I never seem to live where it is hip/happening/the scene/or perhaps more aptly stated I live no where near where Funko is based. :D I get envious whenever I realize there are places where people can meet face to face and actually swap their duplicates. I just have mine sitting in a box in the hall, all full of hope that maybe I will figure out how to sell them or trade them or something.

studioki: Hah, unwashed masses! Bravo!

Cthulhu Mythos: I find it dangerous digging through old links of things I can not (or maybe should not) afford. I get all vinyl lust driven. I want everything.

RogueSolo: So… along with my vinyl problem I also have a book problem. I have 3 shelves running for books (and many more in boxes that I have yet to unpack, long story no pun intended). Trying to unload like 170 romance novels I do not intend to read (bulk bought a pile of books to cherry pick what I wanted) just to clear space for things I actually want on my shelves. I did not really want to sacrifice more room area for a unit for my minis, but it was the only logical thing I could come up with. After having put it up, I do not regret it… I just wish it were taller. Funko is horrible and keeps making things I want to collect! How cruel of them! Heh. 0:-)

hunterc: Haha oh gosh, I do not think I have the issue of not getting commons. Although, I tend to buy a display unit or two (or uh three or more, wow do I have a problem) so they pile up. I have a little army of Rick Grimes' so every box I open that he's in now induces a small personal rage.

danzaddiction: That is always the problem… space. Which is kind of why I hoped a thread like this would come in handy, we could feed off of each other's ideas creating new and better things to specifically fill a need for our minis. ^___^

yellowrice: I do really like that design, although I think personally I would push away from the checkerboard pattern. That way I would not have to worry about visual balance if things needed to be adjusted on the shelf. I definitely like the idea of swapping the background to pair up with series, but you'd have to be careful to make the colors play well together. I think it's quite lovely looking though!

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Sun May 31, 2015 10:26 pm

If you look hard enough, you can actually see the books on the bookshelf ;)

I actually am in the process of ordering more shelves so I can shelve the paperbacks properly, so as to not waste space. That will also give me more room to display various and assorted collectibles on them as well. I have a whole box of Star Wars Bust-Ups that will probably make their grand re-appearance on those shelves since they fit in so well with the books.

My wife and I just moved into our first home, so I'm hoping to come up with a slightly more permanent setup for my minis; I'll post pictures when I do. So far the house is still a jumble of boxes though :rolleyes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marty
Funklub member #1093

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Sun May 31, 2015 11:46 pm

Here is my collection as of now! I have all of the Series 1 Horror and Sci-Fi minis I wanted (with one on it's way), so I'm very pleased! I may dive into the Disney Heroes vs. Villains next, or just save up for Series 2!

I'm using the Container Store display cases (pictured without the protective casings) which were $10 each. They all fit very well in there, meaning I will probably buy 2 more of these display cases in the future. I put the Xenomorph figures with the horror ones since I consider the first movie more of a horror movie with a sci-fi setting.

Oh, and I should mention that I have them on top of a bookshelf near my bed in which they are displayed next to each other. Anyone trying to rob me will have a hard time fighting of Predator, Xenomorph, Martian, Spock, Pennywise, Freddy, Chucky, etc. :razz:

ZartansBro

Postby ZartansBro » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am

Nice display, ShyGuyPal. I'll have to get those tiered display containers for my Sci Fi and Horror collections.
Wanted Minis: Stone Zuul/Terror Dog, Grady Twins, Scarred Chucky, GITD Pennywise, Zombie Ed, Guitar Crow, B&W Alfred Hitchcock, Spider Leg Pennywise, Henry Bowers, FYE Eddie, FYE Beverly, HT Bill, HT Ben

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Noctu, your display looks awesome!! I have been collecting small things (mainly models) for decades now and I'm constantly battling with how to display my ever-growing collection. I will say this- collections of small items in the open are a HUGE PITA to keep clean and safe. If you don't cover them up then over years the dust just piles on and the only way to clean things is to completely remove everything and dust each piece and wipe down the shelf, then replace it all. When you have as much on display as I do it's a huge undertaking. Plus when things are on an open shelf, kids and adults alike seem to think that's an open invitation to play with everything. So, you mentioned maybe covering your display to keep things tidy and keep small hands off, yes it's a very good idea. Especially as low to the floor as yours is. If you go the plexi route just keep in mind plexi can scuff and scratch, so only wipe it down with a clean cloth. Glass is way better and more "clear", but more difficult to remove and replace to access your collection (due to weight and fragility).

As for my minis, I have a modest collection so far. I just completed my Justice League collection with the addition of Black Flash (yay!) I have it housed in a small model car case sitting on a shelf with a foam core riser for the 2nd row. The nice thing about these cases is they are available with a clear base and can be stacked. When they're stacked, the clear bases allow light to get through so the bottom case doesn't look dark like it does if you get the cases with black bases. I'm at work now but will take a pic when I get home :-)

Edit to add: I get the cases at Hobby Lobby. I think this is the one:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/15- ... se-243048/

They come in clear, mirror or black base so you have to look at the box to see which of those is "checked" so you know what you're getting. Also if anyone buys these at a store, open the box and check the case corners. I got one home once only to find one of the corners of the base was broken off.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

wengderful

Postby wengderful » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Here's the display case from The Container Store. Finally found Chucky as well \:D/
Fundays 2015:2016:2022:2023

treswright

Postby treswright » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:21 am

I still haven't managed to take a pic of my display, but here's one at my girlfriend's place. We just finished it today. There are a few empty shelves because these are all the NBC figures she has so far. I bought a case of 24 for her and everytime I go visit I take one to her as a little gift, she loves it! The print is something I bought for her at Comic Con in Dallas, the artist signed it when I bought it.

image.jpg

wengderful wrote:Here's the display case from The Container Store. Finally found Chucky as well \:D/

That's very nice! What did you make the black risers out of?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:39 pm

treswright wrote:I still haven't managed to take a pic of my display, but here's one at my girlfriend's place. We just finished it today. There are a few empty shelves because these are all the NBC figures she has so far. I bought a case of 24 for her and everytime I go visit I take one to her as a little gift, she loves it! The print is something I bought for her at Comic Con in Dallas, the artist signed it when I bought it.

That's a nice looking display piece, I like it! And that's really sweet of you!

wengderful wrote:Here's the display case from The Container Store. Finally found Chucky as well \:D/

Congratz! That variant Chucky is hard to find. The NES Jason is becoming harder to find as well. They all look good together!

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner… had a massive family emergency and am just getting back to things now.

This post is even more relevant for me as I just bought a sealed box (so potentially 12 more minis) and my display is pretty full. I doubt I can prevent myself from opening them before I figure out more storage. :-/ I stumbled across this matchbox car DIY display, and now I keep looking for shoe racks hoping to find something with a wider gap. http://www.aloandbeholdlife.com/2014/01 ... arage.html No luck so far, but it tantalizes me so.

RogueSolo, I have lived in a world of boxes before, so I feel your pain. I originally had my minis in front of books too, which got to be irritating as I sometimes actually use those collections of printed characters as books for reading. Hopefully things are less box like at your place now! :)

ShyGuyPal Do you like the container store displays? I did debate it, but I just saw that adding up and still requiring a place to sit. I still want to push my display further but just have not had the time or the tools available to alter it.

treswright Excellent points about the acrylic vs glass. I imagine someone breaking the glass here, and so acrylic seemed lighter and safer… plus easier to replace if the need arrived. Of course, I have not gotten anywhere near updating and upgrading it so I am simply using the force to protect everything. So far so good. >.> Also, gold star for you with the gifts for your lady, that's just a smooth winning move right there. ;)

wengderful Oooh nice chucky! They sure do fit a lot of characters in the container, which is also impressive.

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:00 am

Yes, I really like the Container Store displays. I wish they were cheaper, but they do the job. I currently have them grouped on my bookshelf since as soon as I shake the display case, one or two will fall over causing a domino effect. Not the display's fault though, just a bit of a balance issue with some of the figures (I'm looking at your Tron).
They look good just sitting on my extra wide shelf though.

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:38 am

I just bought 2 entire cases of Mystery Minis and that Container Store case looks like EXACTLY what I was hoping to find. Thanks for the tip guys :)
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

hawkswin2008

Postby hawkswin2008 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:02 am

Glad to see this post as ive had trouble finding a good way to display my minis. It's particularly tough for the sets that have 15-20 in them. The container store containers look nice, but might not be large enough for the larger sets. Anyway I've had success using picture frame mounts -- now the game of thrones were on a set from target and are too small. However I found some great depth sized ones at Ikea and they come in 2 sizes .... with the larger size shown.
John :freddy3:

Mystery Mini Collection - 411 total

Full Sets - Walking Dead Series 1-4 , Fallout & Fallout 4, Blizzard HOTS, Arkham Games, Disney Frozen, Game of Thrones Series 1-3, Game of Thrones In Memoriam, Horror Classics Series 1-3, Sci-Fi Series 1-2, Best of Bethesda, League of Legends, Gears of War, World of Warcraft (Why though?)
In Progress - Lord of the Rings

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:53 pm

ShyGuyPal wrote:Yes, I really like the Container Store displays. I wish they were cheaper, but they do the job. I currently have them grouped on my bookshelf since as soon as I shake the display case, one or two will fall over causing a domino effect. Not the display's fault though, just a bit of a balance issue with some of the figures (I'm looking at your Tron).
They look good just sitting on my extra wide shelf though.

I used some earthquake putty on the bottoms of some of mine… Rick is a total drama queen with his "hat that's too big to stand while wearing" so he may have taken a header onto the carpet. That doesn't happen anymore though thankfully. It still can be a nightmare if the shelf gets bumped overly hard of course.

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 pm

hawkswin2008 Ooh I do like the way that looks (reminds me of the inner shelves in my bookshelf, but free of the constraints of utilizing floorspace). I have seriously been thinking about moving to the walls, but my apartment has plaster walls which necessitates the drilling first of pilot hole before trying to install anything and my laziness is warring with my desire to display and protect. Well, that and I would have to line everything up perfectly or it would drive me bananas.

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:16 am

I mentioned this case earlier in the thread and FINALLY remembered to take a pic! It's a model car case. I made risers for the back two rows out of black 1/2" foam core. Fits 18 figures although they don't have a lot of elbow room :-)

image.jpg

Noctu

Postby Noctu » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 am

treswright that does look good, but I am going to admit to being a snob in that I want the little fellows to have more personal space. (I know, issues on my part lol.) I currently have my supernatural minis in a box (oh the shame of it all) because I have not decided on my next display plan. It is moments like these that I wish that I had a wood shop, or would have endeavored to make friends with people who had one. O:-)

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:51 pm

It's a little crowded for my tastes too. But at least they're protected and dust free ;-) After I put the whole set together I found out there were two more Hot Topic exclusives that I didn't know about (Harley with cane instead of mallet- regular and metallic). I've since acquired them but there is no way no how that they will fit in that case with the others. So I may look for a bigger case. Michael's has a 50% off sale running now on display cases, I think I'll check that out.

Return to “Blind Bags”