When it comes to blind bags/boxes do you...

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
reederboy117

When it comes to blind bags/boxes do you...

Postby reederboy117 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:10 am

With some of these blind bags or mystery boxes being pretty expensive (6-8 bucks normally) Do any of you check the box or bags before you buy? or do you take a chance on it?

gxwhyelle

Re: When it comes to blind bags/boxes do you...

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:14 am

The mystery minis? But what's important is what's inside, I don't understand. I don't care about the state of the outside box, I can't wait to tear them open anyways.

reederboy117

Postby reederboy117 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:25 am

gxwhyelle wrote:The mystery minis? But what's important is what's inside, I don't understand. I don't care about the state of the outside box, I can't wait to tear them open anyways.

What i mean is like does anyone try to peek inside before you buy to see if its what you want or not? Ive noticed alot of my walmarts have a few open boxes...

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:31 am

Opening boxes is tacky.

I will however feel/hand weigh blind bags. People look at me weird when I do it. But, Im usually pretty accurate when I do feel the bags.

gxwhyelle

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:35 am

My shops here have all the minis wrapped in plastic so it's harder to open and also since most of the minis are next to the cashier counter they can glare people away if they try to open. So no I don't try to open them, but I do try to feel up the boxes if I can, and I SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE like there's no tomorrow. Shaking the boxes are half the fun for me. In the beginning I just grabbed one and hoped for the best, but since that was when I started I was guaranteed almost no dupes anyway. Now I shake them and judge the size of the characters I want to estimate how heavy they are.

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 am

I've heard of people online sharing the weight for each character in the box of a single line/series at which point people will go into stores with a small pocket scale and figure out which ones they buy. I've actually been waiting a day or two until someone here posts the box placement in a fresh case and use that to find what I want. Sometimes though I'll gamble and just pick a random box or two. If it ends up something I already have I recoup some money by throwing it on ebay or trading it for another mini with someone.

Pro-tip: Some Gamestops actually have a small display case on the wall that they will fill with random opened blind box figures that you can buy for the same cost as a sealed one. Some will even let you trade for something in this case if you pull something from a blind box that you don't want/already have. I actually found quite a bit of my Fallout ones by going to various stores looking for opened mystery minis and found several of the Gamestop exclusive ones long after the blind boxes disappeared from stores. Only a few stores in my area do this so I'm sure it's very YMMV, but its worth a shot to keep your eyes peeled.

gxwhyelle

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:42 am

What does YMMV mean? Also some of my shops have opened ones on display you can buy too, though they mark it up if it's a harder to find ratio or a more popular character. Like Hulkbuster. Kind of d***** for the Hulkbuster one, since it's not exactly hard to find, but as the shop they can pick out all the Hulkbusters and mark them up so you've no choice unless they miss one or something. Might explain why I don't have one yet.

gxwhyelle

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:43 am

Omg doo-shee is a censored word I didn't know

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:43 am

Wish my GStop would do that! My local comic shop does it but nothing that I want usually.

Heard plenty of stories about the people that use scales. Never seen it live but I am sure id get a hell of a laugh if I did witness it.

Grace, YMMV = your mileage may vary aka your personal experience may differ depending on store policy, etc...

Pretty positive I can cover you on that HBuster mini. U just need to remind me prior to SD. <3

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:10 am

Never try to peek....it takes away the point of it being a mystery lol
That being said, if there is a series that I only want a limited few of, I will look for a case layout to keep from getting something I don't want. On the flip side, if I want most of the series I will just order a case.

Broad St Gooner

Postby Broad St Gooner » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 am

Battastic wrote:Never try to peek....it takes away the point of it being a mystery lol
That being said, if there is a series that I only want a limited few of, I will look for a case layout to keep from getting something I don't want. On the flip side, if I want most of the series I will just order a case.

Thats basically how I go about it too. I'll shake the box up too, if I think it'll be a noticeable difference like Godzilla or Mr. Freeze. Breaking them open is a trash move. I have only seen this at Walmart or B&N where the cases/boxes are a bit out of the way or sight of anyone noticing.

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 am

Follow the layout / shake the boxes is how I go about it. Echo the "don't open a sealed package" sentiment.

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:37 am

I usually buy a full case if I'm going for the whole series. If I just want a handful I'll pick up a few boxes at a time until I get the ones I want. I don't like using case layouts to cherry pick, why it costs me more in the end I think it ruins the fun for not only myself but others as well. However I don't judge if that's how someone else wants to buy product.

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 am

I'd never go so far as to try and peak inside the box by tearing it open a bit or something like that. See that a lot with the few minis I run into in my area and to me, that's just cheating. But, knowing a case layout or that certain ones are a bit heavier than others is definitely something I'd do. Mainly for budget reasons. Got a limited income, so if I can use a few tactics to make the chances of my getting the ones I really want a bit better without actually cheating the blind box idea, I don't see much harm in it. Basically, anything goes as long as you don't outright damage or open the package before purchase.

gxwhyelle

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am

Geescube wrote:Wish my GStop would do that! My local comic shop does it but nothing that I want usually.

Heard plenty of stories about the people that use scales. Never seen it live but I am sure id get a hell of a laugh if I did witness it.

Grace, YMMV = your mileage may vary aka your personal experience may differ depending on store policy, etc...

Pretty positive I can cover you on that HBuster mini. U just need to remind me prior to SD. <3

Aww <3 <3 <3 thank you I shall remind you if I don't find one by then. I'll let you know once SD is confirmed. And thanks for the YMMV clarification!

Also, as someone who has accidentally bought opened minis (poorly resealed but I was too excited to notice) just let me say IT SUCKS so yeah please don't do it.

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:41 am

I hate having extra minis of characters I don't like. I only go one of two ways - either I buy the specific characters I want second hand, or I just buy an entire case so I at least know that I'm casting a wide enough net to get mostly ones I want. I'm a terrible blind box collector lol

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 am

gxwhyelle wrote:Aww <3 <3 <3 thank you I shall remind you if I don't find one by then. I'll let you know once SD is confirmed. And thanks for the YMMV clarification!

Sure. You know where to find me.

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Definitely agree with Geescube - opening them is tacky.

I usually have to order mine as I live in the boonies with no stores selling Funko products. But on the occasion I get to a HT - I just do eenie meanie miney moe :) (is that how spell THAT?)

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 pm

I just risk it. There's always trading if need be.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:04 pm

If I like all the characters included in a mystery mini case I'll pickup quite a few in the store. If there's only one or two that I really want from a case I'll just buy them online.
Grayson/Gray :freddy1:

emk194

Postby emk194 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:31 pm

In terms of blind boxes, Bearbricks for example, I buy them online, because I don't usually like all of the ones in the series. I guess in terms of mystery minis, I would just grab a couple and hope for the best.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

Maserati777

Postby Maserati777 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Just curious, would anyone here buy an opened box from a store if it had a new or rare figure inside? I've definitely seen opened blind boxes before but always worry they will think I opened it at the checkout...

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes... I would. Then i dont have to worry about buying a double. If a box was opened and i saw inside a rarity, I would def scoop it up. No reason not to.

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:41 pm

If I can tell it's a 1/72 figure that someone else opened the box, I'm most certainly buying it. I know I didn't open it, and if it's a local store that I frequent a lot, they'll believe me.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Maserati777 wrote:Just curious, would anyone here buy an opened box from a store if it had a new or rare figure inside? I've definitely seen opened blind boxes before but always worry they will think I opened it at the checkout...

This is why I am glad my Wal-Mart has a self checkout.

HA.

Though to the topic at hand, I would never open one before buying, that is the point of being a blind box.

I go to Toy Wars occasionally (they are near me) and if you open it there, they do have some in shop to trade with. So that is pretty cool.
Fundays 2014
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night 2016
Fundays 2017
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2019
2020 & 2021 :smt089
Fundays 2022
FDO 9 San Diego

reederboy117

Postby reederboy117 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Bernie wrote:
Maserati777 wrote:Just curious, would anyone here buy an opened box from a store if it had a new or rare figure inside? I've definitely seen opened blind boxes before but always worry they will think I opened it at the checkout...

This is why I am glad my Wal-Mart has a self checkout.

HA.

Though to the topic at hand, I would never open one before buying, that is the point of being a blind box.

I go to Toy Wars occasionally (they are near me) and if you open it there, they do have some in shop to trade with. So that is pretty cool.

yea thank god for self checkouts, Thats how I snagged a display box lol I bought a mystery mini and just took the display box with me and threw it in the bag no one said a thing lol

kiptrip

Postby kiptrip » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:24 am

I hand rattle a lot especially when I know the figure is small. If the box is already open then nothing wrong with peeking, but ripping open a sealed box in store before purchasing is pretty inconsiderate IMO.
ISO: Chase Error Batman, Walmart Toothless, HT Thor with Helmet, Metallic Nightwing, Glitter Celestia, Glitter Luna, MM Blue Trixie, MM Santa Jack

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:32 am

I have terrible, terrible luck with blind boxes. I pulled 5 Bruce Waynes and 4 Alfreds before I got Armored Batman. I kept getting duplicates, so I just bought a couple cases, and went to eBay for a select couple. Listed my dupes.

My $π!t luck is why I don't collect any blind box/bag products. When it came to the Arkham series, I used a case layout. Turns out, case was disturbed, so I only got 2/4. To eBay I went.

I'd never open a box, though. I've shaken and weighed boxes by hand, but opening them ruins the whole point, and is super lame.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:11 pm

I can't get to stores easily and I only just started buying MM's, but usually I grab them from work on my breaks or lunch. We don't use cases so it's mostly me just grabbing one on my way to the cafe. When I do manage to find a way to a store, I typically just grab randomly, especially since I only try to get from series where I like and know the characters.

The only secondary ones I've gotten have been from this forum and I can't afford a full case. But it's fun to be surprised!

Also, I'm not sure how it's supposed to be handled, but if anyone came up to me at the register with an open MM box and they are aware it's open, I wouldn't question it. Like, as long as you're okay with it. Sometimes the boxes do get popped open but I've looked and 50% of the time it's because the glue just wasn't that strong. Most of our Funko Minis come plastic wrapped, so it's usually like the Tokidoki and Moofs? The little milk carton shaped ones.

Honestly, I'd love to go mini hunting with someone who used a scale. I want to see how they manage it lol

Cryptic Thought

Postby Cryptic Thought » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:02 pm

There's a Toysrus near me where the boxes get busted open all the time.. I secretly hope that someone opens and leaves a Rajah so I can buy it. I can afford the occasional MM purchase, but I do shake a lot and I now like to know the layouts of the boxes. This is something new to me but its helped me get some of the rarer MMs, which helps after you've already dropped enough dough to purchase a whole case. Other than that the weights help a lot (especially for things like Disney Princess Companions).

I have a scale in my house but I've never taken one into a store! I'm sure some stores don't really care while others kick you out! :D
I'm Jon
ISO: Pascal, Meeko, Rajah MMs

fuzzba11

Postby fuzzba11 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:59 pm

I try guess based on the weight, but usually you have to have opened one in the set to guess how much another figure might weigh!

For the sci-fi minis I got a Cylon the first time, I was looking for Godzilla, so I tried finding a heavier one...and I got the Alien Queen (which looks awesome so I was happy). When I was trying to get the Diablo Cute But Deadly I managed to avoid getting Murlocs because they are so much lighter than the other boxes.

So my hand-weighing method is pretty inaccurate for some boxes, but can work when the figures are different sizes.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:15 pm

I usually just grab a few and go. Never opened any in the store or tried to weigh them lol
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 am

I just see if theres a case layout and then pick the ones I want if its a fresh case. If I am dealing with a messed with case, I guess by hand weighing and shaking. I never try and open the boxes...theyre all shrink wrapped for a reason.

Blind bags are a different story. I try to feel them out and guess which character it is. Especially with the Thomas the Train ones that I get for my kids. I push the trains to the top where the bag is white so I can see the design on the train and see if its one we have or not.

TurboBacon

Postby TurboBacon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 pm

I noticed some minis aren't shrink wrapped, they weren't tampered with just no shrink wrap. I bought a bunch of alice minis and they didn't have it. Weird, didn't really bother me, the boxes usually tear when opening due to how they are machined and sealed.

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 am

TurboBacon wrote:I noticed some minis aren't shrink wrapped, they weren't tampered with just no shrink wrap. I bought a bunch of alice minis and they didn't have it. Weird, didn't really bother me, the boxes usually tear when opening due to how they are machined and sealed.

For some reason, the display case for Alice was shrink-wrapped, and the individual minis were not. Everything else I've seen has been the normal way of sealing each individual box.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

MyLittleFunkos
HoF 2016 & CotY
HoF 2016 & CotY

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:15 am

On two rare occasions I actually took the risk and bought minis without knowing a case layout...One was at a B&N at SD while SDCC was going on. They had the Disney minis and I really wanted to pull a metallic Wall-E. The other was the GPK minis. I loved all the designs so I knew I'd be happy with any that I got. Other than that, I wait for a case layout or resort to eBay for the pieces I want. I'm not a fan of the mystery :-D
I'm Abe

Return to “Blind Bags”