Steven Universe Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
GrayJay65

Re: Steven Universe Mystery Minis

Postby GrayJay65 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Ok gang I have a stupid question. I just bought the 3 GS exclusives from Gamestop using the layout and it was right on. Here is my question however. The Pink Lion is shown on the back as a GITD one but it don't look like it glows to me. The box shows it as a 1/12 so it definitely has to be him right?
My question is can you get a regular Lion in a GS case? Does it really glow?

Thanks
Rob

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 pm

GrayJay65 wrote:Ok gang I have a stupid question. I just bought the 3 GS exclusives from Gamestop using the layout and it was right on. Here is my question however. The Pink Lion is shown on the back as a GITD one but it don't look like it glows to me. The box shows it as a 1/12 so it definitely has to be him right?
My question is can you get a regular Lion in a GS case? Does it really glow?

Thanks
Rob

No, regular Lion (along with Connie and Amethyst Steven) is only available in regular cases.

And yes, it glows. I was confused as well until I put it under my lamp and turned it off after a few minutes.

GrayJay65

Postby GrayJay65 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Ok I tried again and I see it now. Thanks :-)

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:19 pm

And I got the case, I ended up paying 40 bucks for the case after applying their $5 deal, the coupons, and a $20 bill I found on my way over there.

Also, the resale prices are pretty good right now, the 1/36s and some of the GameStop exclusives are selling for 25-30 bucks on average while the more common ones are selling for 6-15 bucks.

GrayJay65 wrote:Ok I tried again and I see it now. Thanks :-)

No problem.

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 am

So for Peridot in the GS case, is it safe to say she'd be interchangeable with Greg in that top layer left front spot since they're both 1/36? Just checking to make sure before I go hunting. ;)
Praise be to Tanq! The best SDCC good luck charm a girl could ask for!

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/collection/slightecho/AXDWZ0UUFAXG7CUV/

1st Pop: Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph
25th Pop: Goggles Rey from Star Wars TFA (HT exclusive)
75th Pop: Chase Eleven w/ Eggos

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 am

And I opened my case last night, The layout was the same as the leaked one but with the 1/36 and 1/24 positions swapped.

slightecho wrote:So for Peridot in the GS case, is it safe to say she'd be interchangeable with Greg in that top layer left front spot since they're both 1/36? Just checking to make sure before I go hunting. ;)

Yep, but there's also a chance you might get Onion instead. Peridot, Greg, and Onion are all 1/36s in the set.

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:27 pm

Bahhh none here in NY yet. Went today to check :(

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/collection/slightecho/AXDWZ0UUFAXG7CUV/

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:22 pm

slightecho wrote:Bahhh none here in NY yet. Went today to check :(

You should've called ahead and asked them if they have any in stock and if they could hold onto a few until you got there, some folks have been buying out a store's entire display case due to GameStop being the only supplier of Steven Universe Mystery Minis at the moment.

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:33 pm

TheMerchantMan wrote:

You should've called ahead and asked them if they have any in stock and if they could hold onto a few until you got there, some folks have been buying out a store's entire display case due to GameStop being the only supplier of Steven Universe Mystery Minis at the moment.

If I lived somewhere that had a high-selling market for funko products, I would. However, no one here collects mystery minis. Pops are JUST KIND OF picking up popularity here. Like the Harry Potter mystery Mini case stayed full at my GameStop for three days before I eventually bought some

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:23 am

slightecho wrote:
TheMerchantMan wrote:

If I lived somewhere that had a high-selling market for funko products, I would. However, no one here collects mystery minis. Pops are JUST KIND OF picking up popularity here. Like the Harry Potter mystery Mini case stayed full at my GameStop for three days before I eventually bought some

That's a fair point, the possibility didn't occur to me.

One thing that's probably the issue is location. Barring one instance in Florida, all of the SU Mystery Mini sightings have been on the West Coast (myself included).

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 am

slightecho wrote:
TheMerchantMan wrote:

That's a fair point, the possibility didn't occur to me.

One thing that's probably the issue is location. Barring one instance in Florida, all of the SU Mystery Mini sightings have been on the West Coast (myself included).[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense, that's how it usually goes. I'm in New York state so it always takes like two weeks longer for funko products to get here

Turtledoc

Postby Turtledoc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:29 am

I am in VA and have seen them at Gamestop since mid-week. Got myself GITD Lion, both roses, and an extra onion and gauntlet garnet.
Mystery Minis: 332
Pops: 33
Dorbz: 21

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:49 pm

Someone managed to find a non-GS case at Frank and Son's, here's the case layout.

https://imgur.com/a/Q67C4
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comme ... _universe/

Does anyone else find it odd that it has a similar layout to the GameStop cases? I wonder if that means that the Hot Topic cases will have the same layout...

keyese

Postby keyese » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Lately the layouts have been similar (like with the Harry Potter line, the exclusives and rares/uncommons are in the same spots). It's probably easier for them to swap out when they are creating the packs.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 pm

And it seems that the case layout from Reddit was sign of things to come, EE just listed the Mystery Minis as being hot off the truck.

kihou wrote:Lately the layouts have been similar (like with the Harry Potter line, the exclusives and rares/uncommons are in the same spots). It's probably easier for them to swap out when they are creating the packs.

That seems reasonable, but that just means I'll have to get to my HT first and buy out the top layer of a case when they open.

keyese

Postby keyese » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:08 pm

TheMerchantMan wrote:And it seems that the case layout from Reddit was sign of things to come, EE just listed the Mystery Minis as being hot off the truck.

kihou wrote:Lately the layouts have been similar (like with the Harry Potter line, the exclusives and rares/uncommons are in the same spots). It's probably easier for them to swap out when they are creating the packs.

That seems reasonable, but that just means I'll have to get to my HT first and buy out the top layer of a case when they open.

Yeah, I felt a little luckier that the Harry Potter minis are all on the bottom row, so I have a higher chance of getting ones I need (as opposed to the front top row ones for Princesses, where casual buyers would just grab one from the top/front and score a companion). But that's all thrown out the window since places have been scrambling them anyway :)
ISO Mystery Minis!
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

jayceanime

Postby jayceanime » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:13 am

I'm extremely new to collecting mystery minis and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted info here about this set! I was able to get the GameStop exclusives, a Peridot and an Onion thanks to all of the information in this thread and have a full regular case on it's way to me.

Since many people have here are much more experienced, I do have a question out of curiousity. Is it strange that hot topic seemingly haven't gotten these figures at all yet, despite supposedly having exclusives of their own? I haven't seen a single hot topic exclusive show up online, they aren't on hot topic's website as far as I can tell and all the hot topic's I've contacted don't have any info on them. It just seemed strange to me that the regular cases are surfacing and GameStop versions were first out of the gate, while hot topic's stock is nowhere to be seen. To summarize my long winded question, it this abnormal, or do mystery mini exclusives usually show up with time between their releases?

Again, thanks for sharing info and any potential answers to my question! O:)

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:42 pm

jayceanime wrote:I'm extremely new to collecting mystery minis and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted info here about this set! I was able to get the GameStop exclusives, a Peridot and an Onion thanks to all of the information in this thread and have a full regular case on it's way to me.

Since many people have here are much more experienced, I do have a question out of curiosity. Is it strange that hot topic seemingly haven't gotten these figures at all yet, despite supposedly having exclusives of their own? I haven't seen a single hot topic exclusive show up online, they aren't on hot topic's website as far as I can tell and all the hot topic's I've contacted don't have any info on them. It just seemed strange to me that the regular cases are surfacing and GameStop versions were first out of the gate, while hot topic's stock is nowhere to be seen. To summarize my long winded question, it this abnormal, or do mystery mini exclusives usually show up with time between their releases?

From what I've seen, the Mystery Minis tend to come out in waves (both in terms of stores and regions). The GS cases came out first, the regular cases came out in August, and the HT cases should come out later this month.

I assume that the GS cases came out on-time whilst the regular and HT cases were delayed due to the SDCC exclusives having priority, but it's just a hypothesis.

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:38 pm

jayceanime wrote:I'm extremely new to collecting mystery minis and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted info here about this set! I was able to get the GameStop exclusives, a Peridot and an Onion thanks to all of the information in this thread and have a full regular case on it's way to me.

Since many people have here are much more experienced, I do have a question out of curiousity. Is it strange that hot topic seemingly haven't gotten these figures at all yet, despite supposedly having exclusives of their own? I haven't seen a single hot topic exclusive show up online, they aren't on hot topic's website as far as I can tell and all the hot topic's I've contacted don't have any info on them. It just seemed strange to me that the regular cases are surfacing and GameStop versions were first out of the gate, while hot topic's stock is nowhere to be seen. To summarize my long winded question, it this abnormal, or do mystery mini exclusives usually show up with time between their releases?

That's normal. For example, the Harry Potter minis were supposed to be out the first week of July (based on their Periscope info), but didn't hit most stores until the last week of July. Things just get delayed sometimes. I suggest making friends with your local HT workers and seeing if they will call you when they do finally get them in.
ISO Mystery Minis!

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:21 am

A little birdie just informed me that some Hot Topics on the East Coast are starting to get their SU Mystery Minis in now. Let's hope that the West Coast is following close by.

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:23 am

TheMerchantMan wrote:A little birdie just informed me that some Hot Topics on the East Coast are starting to get their SU Mystery Minis in now. Let's hope that the West Coast is following close by.

I'll have to keep my eye out here on the East coast!
Hey, I'm Ashley!

Currently ISO: Connie and Peridot mystery minis

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:40 pm

Just found a case of HT in Indiana. This layout was perfect;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI3uptghIM7/
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:41 pm

And my local HT got two cases in, a friend of mine and I cleared them out of exclusives while another friend bought their 1/36 boxes and non-exclusive Lapis boxes.

groundhog7s wrote:Just found a case of HT in Indiana. This layout was perfect;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI3uptghIM7/

Wow, that's how the HT-exclusive Lapis looks? It's not what I expected.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Yeah, she's very similar to the gitd lion.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 pm

If the regular Lapis is the one on the bottom, I think I prefer it. The other one looks like Laffy Taffy lol but these are really cute.

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:30 pm

And we just opened the boxes, the case layouts are pretty much the same barring exclusives and the friend that picked up the chaser boxes got Onion (for the fifth time this set, we all had a laugh until we realized that no one wants Onion) and Peridot.

groundhog7s wrote:Yeah, she's very similar to the gitd lion.

I know, my only issue is that her water wings and parts of her dress are the same color as her body. It works for Lion, but not Lapis.

klb1111

Postby klb1111 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:56 am

So, I was looking at this series and kind of liked the designs of Garnet, and thought Greg was hilarious, but wasn't interested in grabbing any because I don't know the show at all.

Well, I caught the bits and pieces of the lion episodes on Monday, and fell in love with Lion - he acts exactly how a giant, magical housecat would and I loved it.

So I decided to try and blind pull Lion from a half a case left at Gamestop yesterday, and succeeded! That almost never happens for me. (I have so many Suicide Squad ones I don't want, let me tell you). He'll be my only from this series, and I'm super glad I didn't have to go to ebay for him, nevermind with only half the case left there was no telling what I could have got.

Padr49904

Postby Padr49904 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:07 pm

These have been sold out at all of my Gamestops for a few weeks and finally saw a case only missing two today, obviously the front two on the top. Made sure to go by the case layout since the only two I really wanted were Lapis and Lion.

Got Lapis which made me immensely happy but the other one I got was regular Rose. Either someone had moved some of them around or Lion had been grabbed and while tidying up Rose was accidentally put in its place. Still pretty happy though, Rose is pretty cool.

Might go try and grab a few another day if I see another pretty much untouched box.
Pop Count: 36
Also have many minis and other figures.

Greatest Achievement: Going to Hot Topic everyday for 3 weeks to get a Winged Castiel.

ghostedaway

Postby ghostedaway » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Looks like my case from EE shipped. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Bryan

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:56 am

ghostedaway wrote:Looks like my case from EE shipped. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I got my two cases last week. I got Onion, Greg, 1/24 Pearl, and I left the others untouched (a friend of mine bought one case of leftovers off of me even after I told him I pulled the chasers out of it, he was only interested in getting the 1/12s).

ghostedaway

Postby ghostedaway » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:28 am

TheMerchantMan wrote:
ghostedaway wrote:Looks like my case from EE shipped. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I got my two cases last week. I got Onion, Greg, 1/24 Pearl, and I left the others untouched (a friend of mine bought one case of leftovers off of me even after I told him I pulled the chasers out of it, he was only interested in getting the 1/12s).

Very nice! Seems like you can't go wrong with anything in this set.
Bryan

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:47 am

Ran into HT yesterday and they had a case in the back that I put on hold, I'm so glad Georgia is FINALLY getting these! FINALLY!! Tomorrow I'm getting that and the Amethyst GITD pop.
Hey, I'm Ashley!

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Got the full HT case and I could not be happier about these minis! I love them! I actually bought 4 more from there then another 4 from GS...ended up with dupes of whip Amethyst, "regular" Steven, GITD Lapis, Rose, Mr. Universe tee Rose, and Big Donut tee Steven (actually... 2 extras). On the hunt for Greg and Connie now to complete the set!

Edit: I totally forgot about Amethyst Steven, Connie, and regular Lion. Whoops. Waiting on those buggers to show up too
Last edited by Littlemissplush on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, I'm Ashley!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:39 pm

I can't wait for these to start showing up around here. I haven't actually seen them yet. I'm really thinking about getting a case for these. lol Price tag be damned.

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 pm

JohnnyPOP wrote:I can't wait for these to start showing up around here. I haven't actually seen them yet. I'm really thinking about getting a case for these. lol Price tag be damned.

I actually got a coupon in the mail from Hot Topic so that was the reason I ended up pulling the trigger on a case. $50 off plus the buy one, get one 30% off made it a little more bearable
Hey, I'm Ashley!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Littlemissplush wrote:I actually got a coupon in the mail from Hot Topic so that was the reason I ended up pulling the trigger on a case. $50 off plus the buy one, get one 30% off made it a little more bearable

I've never bought a full case before and wouldn't even know where to begin. Can you only get them in store with HT or is there an option to buy it online through them? I know you can get them through other places online but being able to use a coupon would help greatly. I mean I want them all anyway so buying a full case isn't the problem it's spending that much all at once lol

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:41 pm

JohnnyPOP wrote:
Littlemissplush wrote:I actually got a coupon in the mail from Hot Topic so that was the reason I ended up pulling the trigger on a case. $50 off plus the buy one, get one 30% off made it a little more bearable

I've never bought a full case before and wouldn't even know where to begin. Can you only get them in store with HT or is there an option to buy it online through them? I know you can get them through other places online but being able to use a coupon would help greatly. I mean I want them all anyway so buying a full case isn't the problem it's spending that much all at once lol

Well the coupon was something I got sent in one of their little monthly mailers and I don't think there's a way to buy a full case from them online, even though the blind boxes are for sale online. You'd just get random ones. I just walked in, saw them on the shelf, and asked if they had a fresh case in the back... which they did!
Hey, I'm Ashley!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Littlemissplush wrote:Well the coupon was something I got sent in one of their little monthly mailers and I don't think there's a way to buy a full case from them online, even though the blind boxes are for sale online. You'd just get random ones. I just walked in, saw them on the shelf, and asked if they had a fresh case in the back... which they did!

I haven't gotten any physical mailers from them yet but I'll have to check mine out soon to see what I turn up. The last time I went there weren't any minis anywhere, it was weird. Except for a handful HP and Suicide Squad. But my lone HT is pretty small so that may be why. I might have to bite the bullet and get a full case from Amazon or EE instead.

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:59 pm

JohnnyPOP wrote:
I haven't gotten any physical mailers from them yet but I'll have to check mine out soon to see what I turn up. The last time I went there weren't any minis anywhere, it was weird. Except for a handful HP and Suicide Squad. But my lone HT is pretty small so that may be why. I might have to bite the bullet and get a full case from Amazon or EE instead.

Honestly, the most cost effective way to get them would probably be to get a general release case and not a Hot Topic one due to the price mark up if you haven't got a coupon. I think the cost at HT averages at a little over $7 per blind box not counting tax. Even the Gamestop ones are less than that regular price. Since HT and GS only have 3 exclusives each, I'd just wait for more places to get them so the price drops and then buy those on the secondary market
Hey, I'm Ashley!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Littlemissplush wrote:Honestly, the most cost effective way to get them would probably be to get a general release case and not a Hot Topic one due to the price mark up if you haven't got a coupon. I think the cost at HT averages at a little over $7 per blind box not counting tax. Even the Gamestop ones are less than that regular price. Since HT and GS only have 3 exclusives each, I'd just wait for more places to get them so the price drops and then buy those on the secondary market

Yeah, plus honestly I'm okay with not having most of the exclusives. I want them but I'm trying to be zen here and not stress lol I'm going to wait and see if we get these in at work and then maybe buy the case there, if possible. I just really want a Lapis.

Return to “Blind Bags”