What to Do with Dupes?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
GhostAsparagus

What to Do with Dupes?

Postby GhostAsparagus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey all. Apologies if this has been discussed before and I just couldn't find it in the backlogs; feel free to point me that way if I missed it.

I've only been aggressively looking for Minis for a month or so and, combined with the few I'd passively grabbed in the month before that, I now have about 70 of them total spanning different series (I'm a little bit of a maniac ](*,)), and of course a solid dozen dupes on the side as a result.

So, I'm curious what people do with their dupes. I understand the value in preserving the rarer ones that will make good trade fodder someday, but for all the poor ol' working-class 1/12s, there's probably not much fiscal appreciation coming in. Do you toss them in the back of the closet? Display them along with their twin or triplet sibling figures? Make alternate displays elsewhere?

Given that I'm already this deep into the collection and I've only been at it for such a brief time, I'm foreseeing the need in the near-future to find an answer...

buf12sbr

Re: What to Do with Dupes?

Postby buf12sbr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 pm

You could do giveaways or sell them since people come into the game late all the time. Or you could army build like some people.

Trades and selling are your best options as people may only want that figure and can't find it since no one cares the set.
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:43 pm

GhostAsparagus wrote:Hey all. Apologies if this has been discussed before and I just couldn't find it in the backlogs; feel free to point me that way if I missed it.

I've only been aggressively looking for Minis for a month or so and, combined with the few I'd passively grabbed in the month before that, I now have about 70 of them total spanning different series (I'm a little bit of a maniac ](*,)), and of course a solid dozen dupes on the side as a result.

So, I'm curious what people do with their dupes. I understand the value in preserving the rarer ones that will make good trade fodder someday, but for all the poor ol' working-class 1/12s, there's probably not much fiscal appreciation coming in. Do you toss them in the back of the closet? Display them along with their twin or triplet sibling figures? Make alternate displays elsewhere?

Given that I'm already this deep into the collection and I've only been at it for such a brief time, I'm foreseeing the need in the near-future to find an answer...

TRADE. put up a want to trade list. I WANNA SEE!

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 pm

I usually give them to friends who like them as well but aren't serious collectors, try to trade them (sometimes people want an even trade for new lines), or I've started painting them (here's my first attempt, an extra Elsa).

http://imgur.com/a/93CbN
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

GhostAsparagus

Postby GhostAsparagus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:03 pm

buf12sbr wrote:Trades and selling are your best options as people may only want that figure and can't find it since no one cares the set.

Hadn't thought of that; it makes some good sense. Thanks!

Geescube wrote: TRADE. put up a want to trade list. I WANNA SEE!

To be honest, I haven't yet accrued a large enough collection of desirable extras that I wouldn't be eye-rolled right out of the forum if I put them up - it's primarily commons from sets that haven't been retired yet. But is there a specific place that's done, where people can post trade lists? I would be open to it with people at some point once I've got a more respectable line-up...

buf12sbr

Postby buf12sbr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:12 pm

GhostAsparagus wrote:
buf12sbr wrote:Trades and selling are your best options as people may only want that figure and can't find it since no one cares the set.

To be honest, I haven't yet accrued a large enough collection of desirable extras that I wouldn't be eye-rolled right out of the forum if I put them up - it's primarily commons from sets that haven't been retired yet. But is there a specific place that's done, where people can post trade lists? I would be open to it with people at some point once I've got a more respectable line-up...

viewforum.php?f=8
At the moment you cant you need 100 post and 180 days on the board but when you get there, you will have a bunch more trade bait. But no matter how big or little the list is you may find takers
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

GhostAsparagus

Postby GhostAsparagus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:23 pm

buf12sbr wrote:http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewforum.php?f=8
At the moment you cant you need 100 post and 180 days on the board but when you get there, you will have a bunch more trade bait. But no matter how big or little the list is you may find takers

Oh THAT'S what that is. I'd seen around that there was a forum you needed to qualify to post in but hadn't visited yet. I guess this'll give me plenty of time to try and snatch up a few more good ones to pad my portfolio. Again, thanks.

Ladykatarina

Postby Ladykatarina » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 pm

kihou wrote:I usually give them to friends who like them as well but aren't serious collectors, try to trade them (sometimes people want an even trade for new lines), or I've started painting them (here's my first attempt, an extra Elsa).

That looks good. Autumn themed Elsa?

Ladykatarina

Postby Ladykatarina » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:48 pm

I know there's a couple of Facebook pages that are dedicated to mystery mini trades. It seems the ones that don't have any qualifications aren't very active. The ones that have qualifications seem to be more active but I haven't been able to get on one so I can't say for sure.

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:13 pm

buf12sbr wrote:
GhostAsparagus wrote:

viewforum.php?f=8

Cool, I didn't see a trade forum on here (probably because I just joined, and haven't posted much :) ). I will have to wait it out a bit and post more!
ISO Mystery Minis!
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Ladykatarina wrote:
kihou wrote:I usually give them to friends who like them as well but aren't serious collectors, try to trade them (sometimes people want an even trade for new lines), or I've started painting them (here's my first attempt, an extra Elsa).

That looks good. Autumn themed Elsa?

I was joking that she's Pumpkin Spice Elsa :) My favorite color is orange, so I went with that color scheme.
ISO Mystery Minis!

Return to “Blind Bags”