What do you love about mystery minis?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
TenTwoSix

What do you love about mystery minis?

Postby TenTwoSix » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:49 pm

I'm exclusively a pop collector but the Harry Potter mystery minis are really tempting. Whenever I collect, whether it's pop or comic books or something else, I end up collecting complete sets. I'm worried that starting a mystery mini line will be a big commitment of time and money.

So before I take the plunge, what do you love about mystery minis? Anyone regret starting this line?
Hi, I'm Jerry!

ShyGuyPal

Re: What do you love about mystery minis?

Postby ShyGuyPal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:53 am

I only buy from a few select lines, mainly being Sci-Fi and Horror. I also dip into others to give them a try, like Disney and Bethesda. Horror got me into them since a line like it has never existed like it before, and probably never will. I wanted some figures of a few Horror characters, but ended up wanting them all! Same for Sci-Fi. I also like the Five Nights at Freddy's one, and I bought a few of the Arkham ones. I don't regret it one bit!

I'd suggest you buy a few of them from a line you might like. They shouldn't be that expensive, unless you are buying them second-hand online. There's quite some variety in lines, and even variety among figures in those lines!

Oh and what I love is the variety, quality, character selection, and niche-ness! Most toy lines will give you maybe give you the good guys + maybe a bad guy here and there. The Mystery Minis line usually gives you the main cast + bad guys + less popular characters + odd variants. They also choose from mediums that rarely, if ever, get figures made of (ex. Pennywise, Voltron, even Alfred Hitchcok). You can get everyone and more! The quality is pretty good for the scale and price, and there's also that 'fun of the hunt' side of things too.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

Barryyyyy

Postby Barryyyyy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 am

^^^^^^ this guy just said it all! I started with minis because I won a contest here on the boards hosted by another Funatic. I had always wondered if I'd like minis (I had already dabbled in Wobblers and Spastiks) and figured if I got them and didn't like them, I could give them away. Turns out, I LOVED them! The details and sculpts are so much better than Pop!s. The Marvel ones seem to be made of cheaper, lighter plastic/vinyl and the fact they're also bobbleheads makes them more 'fragile' in my opinion. The horror and sci-fi ones are really thick, solid, heavy figures and I enjoy those two series most of all!
Hi! I'm Barry

Instagram: barryyyyy_mac

Funko_Bandido

Postby Funko_Bandido » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:43 am

Minis can have so much detail! They are small and fun to collect. On a personal note, I love opening these up with my kids. The mystery part of it makes it very fun , as well.
I'm Bandido or George !
Instagram: BandidoToys

Mystery Mini Checklist https://goo.gl/IzBVJx
Funko Member # : 11130
Mystery Mini Count: Over 400
Pop Count : Around 150

Image ImageImage

TenTwoSix

Postby TenTwoSix » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks for the replies. I agree the detail and the range of characters available can be much better than pops. I'll probably do as suggested and get a few to see whether I like them.

Do most collectors truly buy the minis blind or use layouts/buy online to complete collections? I feel like knowing the layouts takes away some of the mystery but it'll probably end up saving a good chunk of money.
Hi, I'm Jerry!

buf12sbr

Postby buf12sbr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:54 am

TenTwoSix wrote:Thanks for the replies. I agree the detail and the range of characters available can be much better than pops. I'll probably do as suggested and get a few to see whether I like them.

Do most collectors truly buy the minis blind or use layouts/buy online to complete collections? I feel like knowing the layouts takes away some of the mystery but it'll probably end up saving a good chunk of money.

on a set with 1/6 in them it is better go off the guides to avoid doubles but they have been doing a bunch of 1/12 full boxes where there is no real mystery either

I think too if you just have a general frame of the layout so you know where the rares are kinda located it is still fun to pull them
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

allhermight

Postby allhermight » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 am

I actually don't typically love Mystery MInis because the eyes creep me out, but I absolutely adore the Harry Potter ones because they are incredibly well done with intricate details and they offer characters we might not otherwise get.

Barryyyyy

Postby Barryyyyy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am

allhermight wrote:I actually don't typically love Mystery MInis because the eyes creep me out, but I absolutely adore the Harry Potter ones because they are incredibly well done with intricate details and they offer characters we might not otherwise get.

You don't like the Marvel ones? I thought Civil War was a great series!
Hi! I'm Barry

Instagram: barryyyyy_mac

allhermight

Postby allhermight » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:38 am

Barryyyyy wrote:
allhermight wrote:I actually don't typically love Mystery MInis because the eyes creep me out, but I absolutely adore the Harry Potter ones because they are incredibly well done with intricate details and they offer characters we might not otherwise get.

You don't like the Marvel ones? I thought Civil War was a great series!

The eyes are so creepy! I wish that I could get past the eyes because I love the ones that don't have that style of eyes or have masks that conceal their eyes. I didn't unbox my Captain Marvel and She-Hulk ones for that very reason.

gogman

Postby gogman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:40 pm

I love them because you get a great range of characters and licences.

I'm not into the Disney or Harry Potter ones but it's great they are out there for other people and there are so many licences there's still plenty for me to collect.

The quality of the figures is actually pretty good as well.

Me and my four year old love opening them together and guessing who it's going to be. It's great I can involve her as well.

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:50 pm

The figures are usually good quality, they have more personality than Dorbz or Pops, and they are basically a form of gambling so it gets my adrenaline going lol
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:54 pm

The hunt. Opening that box in the drivers seat of my truck because i couldn't wait to get home... knowing with 95% certainty it's the last exclusive I need... then finding out it's just another stupid Olaf, and heading back into the store to shake more boxes... wait.... maybe I don't like them anymore. Nah... i do. I love the little buggers.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:57 pm

The hunt is addicting. I love trading them too. The size is great (especially as an apartment dweller) and I love the design of many of them (the blockier style of the horror and others is probably my favorite)
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:32 pm

The mystery part was definitely a major draw for me. I love opening blind bags like this because you never really know what you're going to get. Plus a lot of them have great details on them and like people have said, you can get a wide range of characters and usually not the same ones over and over again. Also, it's a good way to get figures for some shows and characters that might never get them. I don't have many right now, but they are definitely worth it.

klb1111

Postby klb1111 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:49 am

What everybody's said already is the same for me.

I LOVE the character some of the lines have - the DC Comics series is one of my favorites. I like to set Aquaman from series 2 next to my Suicide Squad girls just for the suspicious look he appears to be giving them.

And Mystery Minis' size means your collection won't take up as much space as other figures. They are the perfect size for shotglass cabinets, you just have to have the wall space for a shotglass cabinet.

butwevegotheart

Postby butwevegotheart » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:16 pm

I was never into minis when I first started collecting Pops, but I received one from a friend as a gift, and I really loved the detail. So, I started buying some from the TWD, GoT and Supernatural lines because those were the ones that really interested me. Now I'm about to start collecting the Civil War line. I just really love how much detail they put into these tiny figures, sometimes they're more detailed than the Pops. I also love that I can get a character as a mini if they don't have a full-size Pop yet.
I'm Steph! My favorite, and main, Funko Pop lines that I'm currently collecting are The Walking Dead, Hannibal, Disney, Game of Thrones, Supernatural, and Doctor Who.
Funko Pop Count: 109
Mystery Minis: 41
My current grails: SDCC Bryan Fuller, Unmasked Captain America, Unmasked/Masked Winter Soldier

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:20 pm

For me, the appeal of Mystery Minis is all about size and variety. I can fit a lot more and a larger array of minis in a much small space than Pop!s and being that I plan on living in a tiny house one day, space is a very big issue. I'm not such a fan of the mystery part, mostly because my collecting budget is very limited, but despite that, Mystery Minis are my favorite Funko line.

ldfm

Postby ldfm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:41 pm

I seem to like small/detailed collectibles a lot. Micro Machines, Hot Wheels/die cast cars, Legos... There are a couple of Minis lines I'd really like to get into, although I personally am not a fan of the mystery aspect. But they are generally cheaper than Pops! Overall, the detail(s) of the figures are what's really cool.
ImageImageImage
Licenses I Hope For: Alan Wake, Fallout: New Vegas, Star Wars: KOTOR 2, Banjo-Kazooie

Thrillofthehunt

Postby Thrillofthehunt » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:15 am

The thrill of the hunt! My 4 year old daughter loves the Disney ones. She gets so excited and is surprisingly accurate in her guesses lol. I also agree w many other that the detail is great on these.
:freddy3: Image ImageImage

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:01 am

There are a couple of things I love about MMs. One is the thrill of opening mystery boxes. The other is the detail in such small figures. The Harry Potter and new Disney MMs are super detailed. I also think they are adorable. I'm not a fan of all the money I spend trying to get complete sets, but I've had to let the idea of completing a set go with a few lines. With some MM lines I just get a few pieces that I like. I also really enjoy trading MMs.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

Munky

Postby Munky » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:16 pm

I love old horror films and was surfing on line looking for Cthulhu related stuff and came across the Mystery Mini version.

I just had to have it! Bought it on eBay for an extortionate amount and saw a few others. Checked them out and how many (Series2 Horror) were from all of the cool films I loved. So started the addiction.

Some of the Series 1 horror minis are a little too hardcore gore for me. But will pick them up as I can to complete the set.

Really looking forward to series 3. That's going to be the first time I stand a chance of finding a complete box of 12 untouched :D

As it is, my series 2 have been onesy-twosys that shops have had left from last fall. It's also a great distraction from another more expensive hobby :freddy2:
Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... \:D/

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 am

i rarely display mine, i like gambling. half the time i leave my pulls at the store, around the mall, around the neighborhood. or i see if i can help people here.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:30 am

Never thought i would get into minis. For the longest time I had a flash mini that I got a in Christmas swap. Then the Anime series 2 came out and I bought a whole freaking case. talk about diving in. I only kept the characters I wanted and sold the rest. Then I looked at other lines and just got the characters I like. Like Stitch from disney, Voltron from Sci fi and Mushu from Disney. When they announced HP I actually hated they way they looked and only wanted Dobby. I am still not a fan of the look wish they looked more like my game of thrones or the any other style besides the cutsey desgin but here I am with all the ones i want besides Flocked crookshanks (danm elusive cat).

Long story short I went from owning 1 to now having about 50 or more. I keep them at work as my wife couldnt handle another collection.

And people are right the detail on such a small character is ridiculous.

And I hate hate doubles and really only want certain characters so yes I mostly use those unspeakable layouts.
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

Return to “Blind Bags”