First Mystery mini set you collected and what you collect now

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Re: First Mystery mini set you collected and what you collect now

Postby willy wonka » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:52 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:My first set that I actively collected was Supernatural, now I have bits and pieces of numerous sets.

I have seen these in stores and was thinking about collecting them. The problem is we don't have much room as it is.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Jason1224

Postby Jason1224 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 am

Me and my son started with Nightmare Before Christmas Series 2 and have now become so hopelessly addicted that we will collect any mini that we can get our hands on! We're getting low on room over here so the small size of the minis really helps

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 pm

I started late in the mini collecting. But my first set was GOT series 1 and walking dead series 2 . And then I was hooked and now have over 400 minis. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

HellKat613

Postby HellKat613 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:25 am

I started with the walking dead series 3 and horror series 1. I started them both the same day on eBay. Those 2 series are now my favorite. I currently finishing horror series 3 and disney villains.
ISO
Also looking for Shiva, Basilisk, and Olenna Tyrell

GhostAsparagus

Postby GhostAsparagus » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:29 am

Started on Arkham Batman and discovered Horror and Sci-Fi, almost finished series 2 of both and series 1 of Sci-Fi, and now waiting for the speedsters to finish cleaning out my town of Horror 3 rares.

Heli88

Postby Heli88 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:37 pm

I sniffed around the edges a few times, but Sci-Fi 2 was the one that finally drew me in. It was just so easy to find Godzilla, since he weighed a ton.

Since then, I've mostly stuck with Sci-Fi and Horror, and I got my wife a box of Supernatural a year or two ago for Christmas. I've since also gotten some Best of Bethesda, but I like the style used in Sci-Fi, Horror, and Supernatural more. I keep thinking about Arkham, but I haven't gone for it yet.

Maserati777

Postby Maserati777 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:35 pm

The only mystery minis I ever really bought were Disney Series 2, Disney Series 3 with the sidekicks and the DC Universe set that had 6 jokers and 6 batman. Ended up pulling 5 of the 1/144's from the DC set and that was the only reason I bought it, it had 1/144's in it. For me Series 2 was the peak for the Disney sets.

I don't really buy sets that are all 1/12 because I like finding ultra rares.

I did also buy some of the Cartoon Network mystery minis that were at Hot Topic, but they aren't funko.

Norrin

Postby Norrin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:08 am

I've been collecting toys for 15 years or more (a member of the old McFarlane Spawn Board)
but I had never heard of Minis, completely off my radar.
I know of Funko; and Pops, of course. But they were never really my thing.

Then my (adult) son asked me to use my "toy hunting skills" to help him find some of the Supernatural set
When I started digging for info - I was hooked.
I'm still trying to finish my Supernatural set, but I've done good playing catch up.
Right now I'm collecting Horror, Sci-fi and any and all Fallout Stuff, Batman Arkham, Inside Out and a few others that catch my eye

professorratigan

Postby professorratigan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:52 am

My first Minis were purchased off eBay. The Riddler and then the Penguin from DC Universe Wave 1. After that, Disney Heroes Vs. Villains really piqued my interest, being a huge Disney Villains fan. (Never was able to get that Hot Topic Exclusive Scar, though. Sigh.) Then Batman: Arkham drew me in. (That Gamestop Mr. Freeze!). And then DC Series 2 (I spent so much money trying to get Flash and Reverse Flash and wound up not getting either, ha!). With me, it's mostly a here and there thing. Each series will usually only have a few figures that I want in it. Anime 2's Vegeta. Suicide Squad's Joker and Captain Boomerang. Sci-Fi 1 with Judge Dredd and RoboCop, and so on. But Horror Series 3 and Disney Villains have been the first sets where I've wanted the majority of the figures AND the exclusives. It's been a bit addicting with these two. So, now, because of that, I've been tracking down all the Horror characters I passed on before to build up my collection. It's been fun. It's also been VERY expensive! But I've managed three 1/72s in the past two months! So, now, I'm mostly confined to Horror, Sci-Fi and anything Disney or DC Comics Villains.
Collecting since: August 24, 2014
First POP: Hannibal Lecter (#25)
Most Recent POP: Dodoria

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:16 am

I may or not be contemplating going insane on the Gears Of War set....
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

beachball48

Postby beachball48 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:31 pm

The first MM I ever bought was The Walking Dead Series 2. I got the GITD One-eyed Walker. It didn't "do it" for me at all!
The second MM I opened came out of "Horror Block." I got Michael Myers, which I sold on Kijiji (I regret that).
Third time was the CHARM! I decided with Series 3 of The Walking Dead, I'd try to get Carol b/c... it's CAROL!
I went to my LCS and bought two boxes; first box was GITD Golf Walker and the second box was CAROL!!!
Carol started the slippery slope...

I reached back and started collected all TWD Series. It wasn't too hard to get the commons and some of the rarer ones.
This slowly branches out to Horror and Sci-Fi as they had a similar look which I grew to love.
That led to collecting Arkham.

Other than that, I collected Inside Out, Zootopia, and strangely enough, the Barbie set (It is probably the most underrated set).

I have odds and sods from other sets like Santa from NBC and the Death Note Minis.

I don't think I have a single set completed! My closest are Zootopia, Arkham and Barbie (2 short in each set).

As for my FAVOURITE, well that's tough. I really like my Cinema Gremlin, Voltron, and Killer Croc. Those are my top 3...atm.

beachball48

Postby beachball48 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:36 pm

The first MM I ever bought was The Walking Dead Series 2. I got the GITD One-eyed Walker. It didn't "do it" for me at all!
The second MM I opened came out of "Horror Block." I got Michael Myers, which I sold on Kijiji (I regret that).
Third time was the CHARM! I decided with Series 3 of The Walking Dead, I'd try to get Carol b/c... it's CAROL!
I went to my LCS and bought two boxes; first box was GITD Golf Walker and the second box was CAROL!!!
Carol started the slippery slope...

I reached back and started collected all TWD Series. It wasn't too hard to get the commons and some of the rarer ones.
This slowly branches out to Horror and Sci-Fi as they had a similar look which I grew to love.
That led to collecting Arkham.

Other than that, I collected Inside Out, Zootopia, and strangely enough, the Barbie set (It is probably the most underrated set).

I have odds and sods from other sets like Santa from NBC and the Death Note Minis.

I don't think I have a single set completed! My closest are Zootopia, Arkham and Barbie (2 short in each set).

As for my FAVOURITE, well that's tough. I really like my Cinema Gremlin, Voltron, and Killer Croc. Those are my top 3...atm.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:46 pm

The only "complete set" I have is horror series 2. But I love the Horror ones, the Sci Fi ones, have a bunch of the Arkham series, will be getting ALL of the X-Men series and have a smattering of others.

My favorites I have are definitely Voltron, Zombie Ed, Doc Brown, Pinhead, Arkham Mr Freeze, Ash, Alex from Clockwork Orange and Headless Hershel.
Last edited by Libertyroxx on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

mel

Postby mel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:49 pm

I started with TWD S1 and was down the rabbit hole. The only series I have collected in whole are TWD S1, Horror S1 and Horror S2. But I have a ton of them from DC, Marvel, Disney, the new Harry Potters, Sci-Fi S1 and S2 (still hunting down Godzilla!). I'm probably addicted to the MMs more than anything!
I'm a PBS Nerd!

brown

Postby brown » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 pm

I first started collecting the first TWD minis. And now collect Marvel minis in addition to TWd

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:59 pm

My first mini was a flash mini that I won in an auction with flash pops. But I have to admit I used to hate minis. I just couldn't imagine paying and getting all those doubles. Then anime series 2 came out and my first purchase was the whole case lol. I do not collect full sets only specific ones I want from sets. So I followed with GOT Some Disney like Mushu. Although I am not the biggest fan of the cutsey HP style I picked up most of that set and all variants. Now I am at 50 plus and go on mini hunts all the time.
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

TheNeck

Postby TheNeck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:05 pm

my first mystery minis are actually protos from fright night. before that i never thought of buying any. now i bought the 3 mystery minis that go with the protos.
Call me Roger(Rog) https://www.instagram.com/thenecks_funkos/
Funklub #4453
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:06 pm

My first (and only, so far) set is the Garbage Pail Kids! I grew up with the cards, so there just wasn't any way I could pass these up. I'm glad I didn't because I luv em to death!

https://youtu.be/w1fGToeYIBU

TheNeck

Postby TheNeck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:06 pm

i just bought a box of 12 of the BvS MM. i need to get a hold of as many protos from the BvS set too.
Funklub #4453
ImageImage

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:55 pm

TheNeck wrote:my first mystery minis are actually protos from fright night. before that i never thought of buying any. now i bought the 3 mystery minis that go with the protos.

The hooks are in!
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Angology

Postby Angology » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:30 pm

First minis I bought were MLPs (series 2). First case was Despicable Me 2. I worked the hardest to complete the DC Comics Series (lucked out & bought Reverse Flash at retail). I mostly do bits & pieces, but want to start on the Steven Universe set.
Angela
Instagram: @Angology
ISO: NYCC 2016 Scott Pilgrim Pop

TheNeck

Postby TheNeck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:10 pm

RogueSolo wrote:
TheNeck wrote:my first mystery minis are actually protos from fright night. before that i never thought of buying any. now i bought the 3 mystery minis that go with the protos.

The hooks are in!

tell me about it! :( LOL
Funklub #4453
ImageImage

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 pm

I was sort of unaware of Mystery Minis...or at least they weren't really on my radar until Horror series 2 was released and then I got curious...

I purchased a case of the Horror series 2 and was lucky enough to get a GID Cthulhu. I did find the process of unboxing quite thrilling...sort of reminded me off opening Christmas presents as a kid and not knowing what I was going to find inside! :freddy2:

I then moved back to my Pop! collecting habits and just stopped caring about mystery minis altogether...including my own collection! Purged a bunch of collectibles and unfortunately I stupidly sold 10 of the 12 for very little money to a collectibles store...

I'm thankful now though that I kept my GID Cthulhu & Alfred Hitchcock minis, but annoyed that I'm likely going to have to purchase either another case of at least some random boxes to get the rest of my collection from series 2 back (and hopefully Pinhead this time around!).

Anyway, having decided to cancel my Dorbz order (can't start another large side collection outside Pop! Even though it was so tempting!) and having $150 AUD in credit I just ordered a case of the Horror Mystery Minis series 3 :)

I like the fact that they don't take up much room and a case pretty much gives you enough of the core characters to settle with (I'm not really a completest).

I also like the variety in characters too and I'm seriously hoping we'll see at least another 3 Horror Mystery Mini case waves in the future (so many great characters unreleased..*cough* Norman Bates *cough*)...

Admittedly I'm probably wise to start slowing down purchases of Pop!s a little, as my collection is exploding of late...seriously thinking that some of my collection might have to become OOB oneday soon...

Soooo... the problem is now I want to get a case of the two Sci-Fi mystery mini series available AND the first two series of The Walking Dead...agh, I knew the madness would start all over again... :freddy2:

justFUNKOmeup555

Postby justFUNKOmeup555 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 am

I was just collecting pops when my friend and I stumbled across the Adventure Time mini tins at B&N and we just had to get some! Since then, I've only bought one full case (Arkham) but I've nearly completed several sets. I'm taking a break right now, but when I come back I'll definitely be all over the latest Horror series and all the "cutesy" style Disney Princess/Villain/DC lines.
Erin | Pops: 100+ | Minis: 85 | Dorbz: 4 | Vixens: 2 | Rock Candy: 3

Return to “Blind Bags”