new to forums. couple ?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
puredynamite

new to forums. couple ?

Postby puredynamite » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:09 am

Hey everyone, glad I found this forum. I started casually collecting the mystery minis late last year when I bought a few of the WWE figures. I've branched out to grabbing a few of the other lines for me, my son, nieces and nephews. My question is why aren't minis "uniform" WWE and turtles seem to be the same but the Disney Princess, batman vs. Superman, and garbage pail kids all range in size and articulation. I personally prefer the WWE, turtle, horror styles. Is there a reason why some are different?

Bernie

Re: new to forums. couple ?

Postby Bernie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38 am

I will answer for the sake of answering you, and I will say that I do not know. I have thought the same thing, but I don't know.

I am only collecting three lines at the moment; Supernatural, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones, and while Supernatural and TWD are super similar, Game of Thrones all have large oddly shaped heads. It does kind of strike me as odd as well.
Fundays 2014
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night 2016
Fundays 2017
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2019
2020 & 2021 :smt089
Fundays 2022
FDO 9 San Diego

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am

I'm pretty sure it's because different artists design the different lines, with their own style added.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:43 am

puredynamite wrote:Hey everyone, glad I found this forum. I started casually collecting the mystery minis late last year when I bought a few of the WWE figures. I've branched out to grabbing a few of the other lines for me, my son, nieces and nephews. My question is why aren't minis "uniform" WWE and turtles seem to be the same but the Disney Princess, batman vs. Superman, and garbage pail kids all range in size and articulation. I personally prefer the WWE, turtle, horror styles. Is there a reason why some are different?

This is because there are multiple artists apart of the MM team and they each do a single wave. Sometimes the same artist will do all the waves if they're lucky, but other times a series (like disney) will get split between multiple artists.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Probably some input from the licensor. I doubt Disney would allow their characters to be shown in that big-eye Horror/Sci-Fi style
Funklub: 11181

0xTurtle
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby 0xTurtle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Squird wrote:Probably some input from the licensor. I doubt Disney would allow their characters to be shown in that big-eye Horror/Sci-Fi style

I totally agree AND I love that big-eye look :eek: it works so well for Horror and Sci-Fi.
Hiya, everyone calls me, well, Turtle.
ISO: DEK Chet | Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) Pop proto

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:33 pm

0xTurtle wrote:
Squird wrote:Probably some input from the licensor. I doubt Disney would allow their characters to be shown in that big-eye Horror/Sci-Fi style

I totally agree AND I love that big-eye look :eek: it works so well for Horror and Sci-Fi.

Absolutely! Personally my favorite two lines they've done, by far!
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

puredynamite

Postby puredynamite » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for all the answers guys. I guess I'm the opposite of some of you, I wish the horror figs had pupils. Hopefully these minis stick around for awhile.

hawkswin2008

Postby hawkswin2008 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Just my two cents...i really like the series 1/2 GoT but series 3 wasnt as good. The design seems 'lighter' in weight / material composition like the batman vs. superman and i bought that set but ended up selling it off because i really dont like that style. The same 'lighter style' was designed for suicide squad and i boght a couple but was discouraged from buying more.

It seems The 1/12 sets are cheaper made with this type of material. The sets that have rarity seem to have more artistic molds and style. Just my two cents and opinion. They did a great job with league of legends, horror classic series, walking dead, sci fi, fallout, arkham games, etc. Those are the style i perfer to buy and will probably not buy the lighter style any more.
John :freddy3:

Mystery Mini Collection - 411 total

Full Sets - Walking Dead Series 1-4 , Fallout & Fallout 4, Blizzard HOTS, Arkham Games, Disney Frozen, Game of Thrones Series 1-3, Game of Thrones In Memoriam, Horror Classics Series 1-3, Sci-Fi Series 1-2, Best of Bethesda, League of Legends, Gears of War, World of Warcraft (Why though?)
In Progress - Lord of the Rings

Blake85

Postby Blake85 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:15 pm

Reis designs the horror, sci fi and TWD.
Which is why they all have the same look.
Those are my fave series
Follow me on instagram @popwars and @gojirawars

ISO : Resident Evil Protos :
Jill Valentine , Hunter , Licker , Leon S Kennedy

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:47 am

Supernatural as well by chance? It has a similar design to the ones you mentioned.

Blake85 wrote:Reis designs the horror, sci fi and TWD.
Those are my fave series

Maclay

Postby Maclay » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 am

I'm hijacking this thread because I don't want to make a new one. lol

I was wondering why some mini sets are 1/12 and some have different rarities. I personally prefer the ones with different rarities (the boxes are more existing to open) so I'm always disappointed when I see a set that I like and its 1/12 (like the batman v superman or the arkham series). Is there a reason for this or is it just... kinda random?
Hi I'm Jenni!
Pop! count: 145
Mystery Minis: 11

"Time is what turns kittens into cats."

Blake85

Postby Blake85 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 am

Hopesdenial wrote:Supernatural as well by chance? It has a similar design to the ones you mentioned.

Blake85 wrote:Reis designs the horror, sci fi and TWD.
Those are my fave series

Yes that set too.
If you follow him on instagram he posts sketch art of the sets. Its pretty cool stuff
Follow me on instagram @popwars and @gojirawars

ISO : Resident Evil Protos :
Jill Valentine , Hunter , Licker , Leon S Kennedy

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Because if everything looked the same, it wouldn't be any fun! It's not so much about each artist's personal style, although that does shine through in the final product. For example, I've designed the Sci-Fi, Horror, Walking Dead, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Arkham, Game of Thrones and GPK. All of which have a deliberately different style to keep things fun and to appeal to collectors that may have different tastes.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:20 pm

There is another artist whose Instagram(?) name is something along the lines of "queenofhearts", and she will post up her drawings from time to time.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:35 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:Because if everything looked the same, it wouldn't be any fun!

pretty sure that is the exact opposite thought that made Funko popular in the first place. the lure was having just about every license you could think of all in a set that actually went together. Superman next to Captain America next to friggin Bea Arthur all looking like they were made for each other.

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:43 pm

RogueSolo wrote:There is another artist whose Instagram(?) name is something along the lines of "queenofhearts", and she will post up her drawings from time to time.

TheQueenOfGates (Nena)! Her Instagram is awesome! She also has a tumblr that she posts artwork on. Her work is amazing.

I actually like that each set of minis has their own look. I love that newer Disney lines are super cute (Harry Potter, too) and that Horror, Sci Fi, The Walking Dead, and Supernatural are creepy. I really love seeing each artist's style.

And welcome to Funatics!
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 pm

StarWarner wrote:
RogueSolo wrote:There is another artist whose Instagram(?) name is something along the lines of "queenofhearts", and she will post up her drawings from time to time.

TheQueenOfGates (Nena)! Her Instagram is awesome! She also has a tumblr that she posts artwork on. Her work is amazing.

Thanks!
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:Because if everything looked the same, it wouldn't be any fun! It's not so much about each artist's personal style, although that does shine through in the final product. For example, I've designed the Sci-Fi, Horror, Walking Dead, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Arkham, Game of Thrones and GPK. All of which have a deliberately different style to keep things fun and to appeal to collectors that may have different tastes.

Whoa, I didn't know you posted here! I am a big fan of your stylization and work, it drew me to the Horror and Sci-Fi series. Very talented, along with Nena and others that sculpt your work!

Mr Yac wrote:

pretty sure that is the exact opposite thought that made Funko popular in the first place. the lure was having just about every license you could think of all in a set that actually went together. Superman next to Captain America next to friggin Bea Arthur all looking like they were made for each other.

Eh, I could see it go both ways. For example, I don't mind if my FNaF figures look different standing next to my Horror figures, since in my mind they don't mix well anyway. However, I'd be weirded out if Horror or Sci-Fi switched stylizations since they'd stand out among the others in my collection. Were those collecting Disney stuff happy with the stylization change with the Princess line and onward?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:51 pm

puredynamite wrote:Thanks for all the answers guys. I guess I'm the opposite of some of you, I wish the horror figs had pupils. Hopefully these minis stick around for awhile.

Nothing a Sharpie wouldn't fix lol I like the Reis style the best, less cutesy more stylistic.
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:21 pm

misterjstewart wrote:
puredynamite wrote:Thanks for all the answers guys. I guess I'm the opposite of some of you, I wish the horror figs had pupils. Hopefully these minis stick around for awhile.

Nothing a Sharpie wouldn't fix lol I like the Reis style the best, less cutesy more stylistic.

Loot crate Malcolm Reynolds got sharpie eyeballs 2 mins after I opened it. They're yours... Make em your own.

Things without eyes creep me out. My wife and I go to this all inclusive resort in Cancun every few years, and the statues in the room don't have faces or eyes. So my wife takes stick-on googly eyes. We can just imagine the conversations about us crazy tourists that the maids have.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:47 am

Mr Yac wrote:

That's what Pops are for. ;)
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:58 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
That's what Pops are for. ;)

a fair point, I still really dislike the new Disney style though ;-)

MorbidGee
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby MorbidGee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:04 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:Because if everything looked the same, it wouldn't be any fun! It's not so much about each artist's personal style, although that does shine through in the final product. For example, I've designed the Sci-Fi, Horror, Walking Dead, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Arkham, Game of Thrones and GPK. All of which have a deliberately different style to keep things fun and to appeal to collectors that may have different tastes.

Well said :) I like the differences. And I like the style and size variations. I don't collect any complete line. I usually just purchase the ones I like but I definitely can say I like the differences. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Hello! My name is Giselle *FDO Host Las Vegas* Making Fun: The movie *Funko Fiends Secretary/Treasurer* June 2017 COTM
IG:Morbidgeescollections Funklub #10230

Return to “Blind Bags”