How should Funko approach the Star Wars minis?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
MiniDeadpool

Re: How should Funko approach the Star Wars minis?

Postby MiniDeadpool » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Munky wrote:How many people would buy the 1-3 set?
I wouldn't, other than hunting for a Darth Maul.
I think a lot of the appeal of these is going to be largely related to the style they choose for them as well.
We know they can do some great detailed figures, but to me, some of the range can be a bit too 'cute'.
If they mix all the movies and say launch two sets at once (dark side /rebels) I would be reluctantly 'forced' to buy the series 1-3 figures to complete the set.
I'm sure Funko have figured this as the love for episodes 1-3 just isn't as strong and this range will probably eclipse all previous MM sales due to the large Star Wars fan base and appeal to MM collectors!

I mean I can imagine how many people would immediately give away or sell the Jar Jar ones on eBay. I would like a Qui Gon personally besides Maul as well.
My instagram: Sickleclaw

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:05 pm

MiniDeadpool wrote:
I wouldn't, other than hunting for a Darth Maul.
I think a lot of the appeal of these is going to be largely related to the style they choose for them as well.
We know they can do some great detailed figures, but to me, some of the range can be a bit too 'cute'.
If they mix all the movies and say launch two sets at once (dark side /rebels) I would be reluctantly 'forced' to buy the series 1-3 figures to complete the set.
I'm sure Funko have figured this as the love for episodes 1-3 just isn't as strong and this range will probably eclipse all previous MM sales due to the large Star Wars fan base and appeal to MM collectors!

I mean I can imagine how many people would immediately give away or sell the Jar Jar ones on eBay. I would like a Qui Gon personally besides Maul as well.

Jar Jar I could do without, but there are quite a few prequel characters I would go after. Any Jedi, Dooku, variously dressed Amidalas and Clone Trooper variants to name a few.

I don't despise the prequels. I just think Lucas was too focused on visual effects than storytelling (also evidenced by his comments on Force Awakens). The first thing I thought of after watching the midnight showing of Phantom Menace was "that was just to show off what ILM can do".
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:40 pm

the best way for funko to approach them... would be to send em all to my house before letting them go for sale... that way I can "approve" of them myself:)
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:13 pm

mikechickenhead wrote:the best way for funko to approach them... would be to send em all to my house before letting them go for sale... that way I can "approve" of them myself:)

Judging that picture you have up it seems that your shelf is full, I'll do you a favor and have Funko send them to me so I can approve of them for you! lol

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:28 pm

The Minifigure Vinyl wrote:
mikechickenhead wrote:the best way for funko to approach them... would be to send em all to my house before letting them go for sale... that way I can "approve" of them myself:)

Judging that picture you have up it seems that your shelf is full, I'll do you a favor and have Funko send them to me so I can approve of them for you! lol

theres always room for mystery minis!
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 am

MiniDeadpool wrote:

Actually I would get a case of Episode 1 Phantom Menace Mystery Minis, for sure! Have nostalgia for that one and imo it wasn't nearly as bad, as what was to follow on from it....now, if we're talking Attack of Clones of Revenge of Sith...well, I wouldn't even want Mystery Minis from those two prequels for free...

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 am

HawaiianLion wrote: And I think we already know what the Minis are going to look like... the new Wobblers are basically giant Mystery Minis. ;)

You know part of me had actually hoped that the Star Wars mystery minis would resemble more the Horror and Sci-Fi look / sculpts...bit more angst-ridden and far out...

Stu

Postby Stu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 am

I have resisted collecting mystery minis. It will be really hard to not collect the Star Wars mystery minis. The majority of my Star Wars POP collection are droids, I'd likely continue with that and add a few other characters to the mix (Mace Windu, Darth Maul, Qui Gon Jin, Rebel Pilots), they could do a lot with this line. It actually has me very excited.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Even though I don't particularly like the Prequels, I do really like some of the characters from them. I think they could probably get away with just one set for all 3 of the prequels though instead of a set per movie like the other movies deserve. I would need a Qui-Gon, Maul, Obi-Wan, Amidala and Senator Palpatine at the very least. From that general time period I would probably enjoy a Clone Wars set a little more (I like that version of Anakin WAY better than the movie one). There were some great characters in there like Ventress, Captain Rez, Commander Cody, Grevious, Ahsoka, Bane and more that I would thoroughly enjoy.
Hi, I'm Merri!

commodorefunko

Postby commodorefunko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm hoping for sci fi style for the main ones AND a set of cutesy with pets, cause that'd be awesome. Whatever they go with, I'll be sure to buy them all lol
Jonas is the name, Pops are my game

Current POP Count: 299! I want to get something special for 300!+ 9 Mini/Pocket Pops
Current Dorbz/Pint Sized Heroes Count: 20ish
Current Mystery Mini/Idolz/Hikari/Mini Hikari Count: 20

ISO: Any color/white Masters of The Universe, X-Files, Twin Peaks, LOST, Stranger Things, Mr T, and Star Wars protos!!

squidward

Postby squidward » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 pm

I would start with MM's for Episode 8 set to release December 15, 2017. But I would include some rare (1:36, 1:72) MM's for a few characters as a teaser to future series and to drive more sales of Episode 8 MM's. Maybe Yoda, Boba Fett, Queen Amidala, and lastly Leia with white dress and buns in her hair.

I don't personally like the idea for my own pocketbook, but I know that I would hunt for those characters if they were released.
Member of TUFF. Attended: Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Virtual 2021, 2022. HQ Grand Opening. Hollywood Grand Opening. Making Fun Premiere. Funkon 1 & 2. Fright Night 1. Multiple SDCC, NYCC, ECCC, Fugitive Parties. Lover of Funko Artist Sketches.

minusdatails

Postby minusdatails » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm excited to see these minis hit the shelves! I don't really care how they end up getting organized, I will probably try to get every single one even though my wallet will hate me haha

for those of you who don't like the prequels, just send all your prequel minis to me please :-" I want an army of jar jars lol
My name is Kyle and I may or may not be a cat. :cat:
GRAIL: Captain America Mega Dorbz

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm

squidward wrote:I would start with MM's for Episode 8 set to release December 15, 2017. But I would include some rare (1:36, 1:72) MM's for a few characters as a teaser to future series and to drive more sales of Episode 8 MM's. Maybe Yoda, Boba Fett, Queen Amidala, and lastly Leia with white dress and buns in her hair.

I don't personally like the idea for my own pocketbook, but I know that I would hunt for those characters if they were released.

1/36 and 1/72 Star Wars minis? Don't let Funko see this post, I can imagine now the price I'm gonna have to pay for those once I can't find anymore cases to pick from! lol

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:20 pm

The Minifigure Vinyl wrote:
squidward wrote:I would start with MM's for Episode 8 set to release December 15, 2017. But I would include some rare (1:36, 1:72) MM's for a few characters as a teaser to future series and to drive more sales of Episode 8 MM's. Maybe Yoda, Boba Fett, Queen Amidala, and lastly Leia with white dress and buns in her hair.

1/36 and 1/72 Star Wars minis? Don't let Funko see this post, I can imagine now the price I'm gonna have to pay for those once I can't find anymore cases to pick from! lol

yeah, with my luck it would probably be a new sculpt too and would be impossible to get
My instagram: Sickleclaw

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Frankly, I'd prefer if they release series based on the movies.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Toralei

Postby Toralei » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:05 pm

It's a franchise that thrives off army builders, so in a set of 12 they could have

2x era heroic troop variants
2x era villainous troop variants
1x main protagonist variant
1x supporting protagonist variant
1x main antagonist variant
1x era bounty hunter
2x era alien types
2x era droid types

It's a template that can apply to almost any theme they do, and then retailers add in an exclusive character or variant they feel people will come looking for. If you buy another full case you'll wind up with some duplicates of named characters, but extra troops and droids that you will want to keep for your display. No doubt the race will soon be on for who can have the most Stormtroopers.

Licensing will probably require them to be bobble-heads, but on the bright side when you put a clone and battle droid together it's just like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:48 pm

i'd rather see them just do an army builder series then put doubles in a normal box. it could contain 2 of everybody from Storm Troopers to Droids and Jawas. that way folks that want to build can and those who hate duplicates won't have to fear picking a case apart.

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 pm

With love.
"If I only had the strength to make some muffins, then I swear that I would share them with you now."

Looking for: POP!s: Parks and Rec series 1, can be loose. Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy.

Toralei

Postby Toralei » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:46 am

Mr Yac wrote:i'd rather see them just do an army builder series then put doubles in a normal box.

I didn't mean two of the same figure, just two of the same type. Like for ANH, there could be a Tantive IV Defender and a Yavin Hangar Technician. Although I'm sure there will be at least one instance where there are two Stormtroopers in different poses, or a smaller variation like Snowtrooper and Snowtrooper Commander.

I think I'd stay away from the troops-only series, just because they'd probably make Stormtrooper Luke and Han the very rare figures. Some would love it, but some would really really hate if they never found that iconic duo.

DeatoN

Postby DeatoN » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 am

I'd like to see them in Trilogys (4-6 + 1-3), plus Animated (Clone Wars & Rebels), then a new set for each new movie (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Episode VIII etc.)

Plus I'd like to see some additional special ones be sent out in the Smugglers Bounty box, like they did with the Collectors Corps one time.
Instagram: @FunkoPopStarWars
FDO8, 2017 SDCC, 2019 SWC

POPtor WHO

Postby POPtor WHO » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I just had a frightening thought that I hope never comes to pass...what if Disney Parks get exclusives? ](*,) I mean store exclusives are bad enough but that ould be infuriating.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:41 pm

My best guess is that they will start with the core OT characters (Vader, Luke, etc) because they know they will sell and they need them to do well at first in order to justify making more.

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:39 am

I hope they start from Episode 4 and on, the first three don't count lol
Cons: Comikaze' 15, SDCC '16, NYCC '16, Blizzcon '16, ECCC '17, D23 '17, SDCC '17, Blizzcon '17, ECCC '18, SDCC' 18, NYCC '18, DCON '18, SDCC '19, NYCC' 21, SDCC '22
Events: Fundays '16, Fright Night '16, Fundays '17, HQ Grand Opening '17, Fundays '18, Fundays '19, Fundays '22

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 am

I don't know but I really hope they're not bobble-heads, I'm concerned they will be due to the licensing issues. I don't like the Marvel MM's simply because they are bobble-heads. I can tolerate the SW Pops being bobble-heads even though I don't like it, but if the MMs are then that's going to be a huge bummer for me.

Just from a design point-of-view I hope they don't do the oval-shaped heads/ faces like the GoT minis. Those just look really peculiar to me. I also hope they give them eyeballs and don't do the white zombie eyes like they did on the sci-fi series, horror series and Walking Dead, etc. (it's fine for zombies but it looks strange on other characters).
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:09 am

treswright wrote:I don't know but I really hope they're not bobble-heads, I'm concerned they will be due to the licensing issues. I don't like the Marvel MM's simply because they are bobble-heads. I can tolerate the SW Pops being bobble-heads even though I don't like it, but if the MMs are then that's going to be a huge bummer for me.

Just from a design point-of-view I hope they don't do the oval-shaped heads/ faces like the GoT minis. Those just look really peculiar to me. I also hope they give them eyeballs and don't do the white zombie eyes like they did on the sci-fi series, horror series and Walking Dead, etc. (it's fine for zombies but it looks strange on other characters).

I have to agree, I am NOT a fan of bobble head minis.
With that being said.
Star Wars minis, have them all I must.
:mir1: :mir1:
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 pm

I think SW should probably be designed somewhat similarly to the DC series one minis.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

scottfoomusic510

Postby scottfoomusic510 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 pm

i just at some point there's some Ewoks hahahaha Wicket and Teebo
FUNKO FIENDS PRESIDENT
IG & TWITTER: @SCOTTFOOMUSIC - YOUTUBE: FUNKOFIENDS
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Classier

Postby Classier » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

I think they should start out with an all Jar Jar series. No, wait! Jar Jar and Jar Jar pets! Perfect!

minusdatails

Postby minusdatails » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:52 am

Classier wrote:I think they should start out with an all Jar Jar series. No, wait! Jar Jar and Jar Jar pets! Perfect!

I'd buy it :roflmao: :roflmao:
My name is Kyle and I may or may not be a cat. :cat:
GRAIL: Captain America Mega Dorbz

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
treswright wrote:I don't know but I really hope they're not bobble-heads, I'm concerned they will be due to the licensing issues. I don't like the Marvel MM's simply because they are bobble-heads. I can tolerate the SW Pops being bobble-heads even though I don't like it, but if the MMs are then that's going to be a huge bummer for me.

With that being said.

Unfortunately, they will most certainly be bobble heads. Brian was saying we will get Star Wars Dorbz last year but I guess they haven't quite figured out how to make Dorbz bobble (or have the lawyers masterfully explain how they are not action figures) just yet which is why they are doing the mystery minis now. The Star Wars license seems to be the most constrained, even more so than Marvel.

That being said, I expect to see the Star Wars Mystery Minis announcement for NY Toy Fair.

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:42 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:

With that being said.

Unfortunately, they will most certainly be bobble heads. Brian was saying we will get Star Wars Dorbz last year but I guess they haven't quite figured out how to make Dorbz bobble (or have the lawyers masterfully explain how they are not action figures) just yet which is why they are doing the mystery minis now. The Star Wars license seems to be the most constrained, even more so than Marvel.

That being said, I expect to see the Star Wars Mystery Minis announcement for NY Toy Fair.

Well bobble or not, I will buy them and hunt every exclusive down to the set. :mir1: :mir1: :mir1:
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 am

Don't care if they are bobbleheads or how they approach the character selections as long as they aren't the style of the newer Disney/Harry Potter minis. That would be a HUGE bummer for me. Hoping they are similar to Marvel or DC line.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:49 am

Call me nuts, but what about transport?

1:12 could include;
Millennium Falcon
Tie Fighter Advanced
Luke's X-Wing
Slave One
Regular Tie Fighter
First Order Tie Fighter
Snow Speeder
Luke's Speeder
Poe's X-Wing
Star Destroyer
Speeder Bike
Blockade Runner

Ok I know I'm dreaming, but I think it would be a cool twist
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

ldfm

Postby ldfm » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Pryde72 wrote:Call me nuts, but what about transport?

Millennium Falcon
Tie Fighter Advanced
Luke's X-Wing
Slave One
Regular Tie Fighter
First Order Tie Fighter
Snow Speeder
Luke's Speeder
Poe's X-Wing
Star Destroyer
Speeder Bike
Blockade Runner

Yeah, I said in one thread it probably wouldn't happen. Micro Machines made a come back, and some are even are sold in blind bags now. That, and thinking, Funko has never really done inanimate objects. Sure there's the Pop/Dorbz Rides, but they HAVE a driver or person attached with them.
ImageImageImage
Licenses I Hope For: Alan Wake, Fallout: New Vegas, Star Wars: KOTOR 2, Banjo-Kazooie

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:40 pm

ldfm wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:Call me nuts, but what about transport?

Millennium Falcon
Tie Fighter Advanced
Luke's X-Wing
Slave One
Regular Tie Fighter
First Order Tie Fighter
Snow Speeder
Luke's Speeder
Poe's X-Wing
Star Destroyer
Speeder Bike
Blockade Runner

Yeah, I said in one thread it probably wouldn't happen. Micro Machines made a come back, and some are even are sold in blind bags now. That, and thinking, Funko has never really done inanimate objects. Sure there's the Pop/Dorbz Rides, but they HAVE a driver or person attached with them.

After posting, I remembered the Micro Machines and started kicking myself :)

Oh well...I can keep dreaming
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

Return to “Blind Bags”