How should Funko approach the Star Wars minis?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
sylin

How should Funko approach the Star Wars minis?

Postby sylin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 pm

Should they start with a specific set (such as based on A New Hope) or a mix (ex: Luke Skywalker, Jyn Erso, Ezra Bridger, Yoda, Qui-Gon Jin, etc)?

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Re: How should Funko approach the Star Wars minis?

Postby Geescube » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Hmm. Good question.

They could do it by film. Which weve seen.

Or they could even do a light vs dark set.

Either is fine with me, BUT i think id prefer light vs dark over film sets if I had a say.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:01 am

I would prefer it by film first, THEN do things like Rebels, Imperials, Jedi, Sith, Etc.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:36 am

Probably a mix from all of the cinematic Star Wars movie characters 1-7 and Rogue One...would prefer that they kept the Clone Wars, Rebels and expanded (non-cinematic) Star Wars spin-offs and related characters for their own minis series (of which I'll pass on)...

I'd be fine with Heroes and Villians themed sets, if selected characters are sourced from the 8 movies..

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:56 am

I think I'd prefer by film so I could easily skip characters from #1-3 lol
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:33 am

This is a very good question, one I had been asking myself. I think they will try to cover as much ground as they can in as short amount of time as they can by releasing mixed sets, but I hope they don't. I would prefer sets that are for each specific movie. The best place to start might be ANH, or maybe TFA, but I'd definitely want to see an Ep. 8 set released soon after the release of the movie.

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 am

I think that having separate sets for each movie would be best, Star Wars DEFINITELY has enough characters and variants to fill up the sets! But if it is the movie waves method, I'm not sure how I'd be able to afford and complete 9+ mystery mini sets! :eek:

gogman

Postby gogman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:58 am

One per movie would definitely be the best way.

However they're going to want to make them very broad appeal to get as many people involved as possible from the start, so I think we'll see mixed sets covering all the movies.

I wouldn't be surprised if with a licence this big if they don't have far more exclusives than usual per set, maybe half a case per retailer rather than the usual three.

I can't wait for the toy fair reveals as I don't usually by star wars figures (although I love star wars), but mystery minis might just lure me in.

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:41 am

Star Wars Pets will be the first set.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:24 am

From the left. Everyone will be looking right.
Funklub: 11181

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:34 am

I'm excited about these, and I honestly don't care how they set them up but I hope they don't have some kind of weird base to them? And if they do, I hope it's not huge and clunky like the Pop! one.

ldfm

Postby ldfm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am

It'd make the most sense to do by movie/show (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Rogue One, etc.). But that seems like a lot of display boxes... so I'll take a guess and say they should do by "era".

1-3, 4-6, 7-8, and then something for Rogue One/Rebels/Clone Wars, basically everything canon that's not part of the Skywalker Storyline.

You'd only have four "lines", could do multiple series, and I don't think it'd "flood" the market all at once.

Edit: (And please find some loophole to make these non-bobbles... and in line with some of the more "mature(?)" or "normal" looking minis)
ImageImageImage
Licenses I Hope For: Alan Wake, Fallout: New Vegas, Star Wars: KOTOR 2, Banjo-Kazooie

Jason1224

Postby Jason1224 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:27 am

It's a really tough call but I think I'd go with mixed. I'm not sure any whole prequel sets would sell very well but I don't want them to get skipped completely so they're best bet may be to mix prequel minis in here and there. I'm also a huge Yoda collector and don't want to have to wait till they get to empire to have my first Yoda mini!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:28 am

If they really want to milk it then they should go movie by movie. I'm just hoping they do an entire Stormtrooper line with multiple colors :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am

I'm mostly curious as to what style they'll go with. Will they require a spring like Marvel? Will they be cutesy style like Harry Potter/Disney Villains/DC Pets or along the lines of Horror/Sci-Fi/Walking Dead or a whole new style?
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:13 am

by specific movie...
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:22 pm

The most logical thing would be to do a wave for at least every movie. That would give them 8 waves for the minis right off the bat.
My instagram: Sickleclaw

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:34 pm

I can't fathom them releasing by movie and spending several years getting them out there. Mixed sets is where it's at.
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Since i don't want to have 8+ more display boxes, I too would prefer it be by storyline / era

Series 1: Clone Wars Animated Series
Series 2: Rebels Animated Series
Series 3: Episodes 1-3 (Small Qty series released at SDCC containing Qui Gon, Mace, Obi, Young Anakin and a couple others)
Series 4: (Galactic Civil War Part 1) Rogue 1 & Episode 4
Series 5: (Galactic Civil War Part 2) Episodes 5 & 6
Series 6: Episodes 7 - 8 (Resistance Conflict)

Series 1 could start now, and by the time SW Episode 8 is released, Series 6 would hit shelves.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Either way, even if they don't do it per movie, thats still at least 5-6 waves I can see them making, and thats just scratching the surface.

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:32 pm

MadLove wrote:I think I'd prefer by film so I could easily skip characters from #1-3 lol

Well that makes sense...must admitt 2 and 3 I would avoid like the plague...and even if they did it as a mixed lot I'll definitely get rid off any characters from these two movies straight up...

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:55 am

gogman wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if with a licence this big if they don't have far more exclusives than usual per set, maybe half a case per retailer rather than the usual three.

:eek: Why would you even put that idea out there into the universe?! Are you trying to kill me?! lol Oh man, the thought of huge exclusive sets is horrifying. I usually have a hard enough time finding the 3 exclusives from different stores and if they are rares...nope....not gonna think about it.
Hi, I'm Merri!

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:02 am

synergy56 wrote:
gogman wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if with a licence this big if they don't have far more exclusives than usual per set, maybe half a case per retailer rather than the usual three.

:eek: Why would you even put that idea out there into the universe?! Are you trying to kill me?! lol Oh man, the thought of huge exclusive sets is horrifying. I usually have a hard enough time finding the 3 exclusives from different stores and if they are rares...nope....not gonna think about it.

The thought of the mystery mini sets in which the rare is 1/72 or something like that just gave me a heart attack.... yeah these kinds of rare I probably would not stand chance.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 am

In my head they were categorized by character types. Jedi, Sith, Aliens, Droids, Bounty Hunters...
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:I'm just hoping they do an entire Stormtrooper line with multiple colors :D

Stormtroopers are the new Batman :roflmao:
Hi, I'm Merri!

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 am

I hope we get a kid Anikin in helmet and a Podracer vehicle like Daryls motorcycle.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:47 am

I do not see them doing it by movie unless they do multiple sets a year. I thing TFA and Episode VIII are the big deal right now for 2017. So I can see funko waiting until then to relase these or they do a 4,5,6 set early in the year and 7 and 8 later.

Either way I see it more of mixed sets even maybe like 4,5,6 1,2,3 because there will be enough store exclusives. They all will want their own. HT,GS,B&N, Walmart, Walgreens it is going to be nuts.
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

gogman

Postby gogman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:45 pm

synergy56 wrote:

Trust me as a U.K. based collector it scares me as well as eBay is the only way to get US store exclusive minis usually! lol

I just think they'll want to get as many out as quickly as possible and stores will be falling over themselves as they know they're guaranteed big sellers.

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Yeah the store exclusive minis are going to be crazy, I feel. GameStop, Hot Topic...probably at least 3 exclusives for each wave too.

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 pm

I wold prefer by film so that I can fill each one of my little display cases at a time :)
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Flippers paradise
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:34 pm

hailmary25 wrote:Flippers paradise

Yeah I can see what you mean, some of the rare variants like the 1/72 mystery minis from other sets can fetch fair prices on eBay. i can see people flipping them if each wave is not 1/12 each.

ShockWaveZ55

Postby ShockWaveZ55 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:04 pm

So many ways to go with this. I can see eps1-3 as a set, eps 4-6, eps 7-8, clone/rebels/Rogue One set. Now I know a lot of people don't care for eps 1-3 but there's so much good character wise I'd like to see. Qui gon, young Obi, young anni, clone wars Padme, queen amidala, Jango Fett, Mace Windu, Yoda, clone troopers, battle droids, count dooku, palpatine/Sidious,variant Anakin with red eyes, and yes even Jar Jar just because. How can we forget R2 and 3PO. An easy 12-15 minis with out even trying. The original trilogy would be easy to make. Just way too many possibilities. I don't like mini bobble-heads but the recent x-men ones weren't so bad. Still very excited!
Hi there! I'm Eric
pop count: over 900 8-[

https://www.instagram.com/55puma55/

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 pm

ShockWaveZ55 wrote:So many ways to go with this. I can see eps1-3 as a set, eps 4-6, eps 7-8, clone/rebels/Rogue One set. Now I know a lot of people don't care for eps 1-3 but there's so much good character wise I'd like to see. Qui gon, young Obi, young anni, clone wars Padme, queen amidala, Jango Fett, Mace Windu, Yoda, clone troopers, battle droids, count dooku, palpatine/Sidious,variant Anakin with red eyes, and yes even Jar Jar just because. How can we forget R2 and 3PO. An easy 12-15 minis with out even trying. The original trilogy would be easy to make. Just way too many possibilities. I don't like mini bobble-heads but the recent x-men ones weren't so bad. Still very excited!

If we are getting Obi Wan and Anakin minis for the prequel set I'd prefer the ROTS versions in the common set and their young versions as exclusives.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:17 pm

The idea of a set for each trilogy makes more sense to ne now that I think about it. Although as mentioned there's not much love for the prequels I'd be pretty into a set that included...

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Qui-Gon
Darth Maul
Padme
Jar-Jar
Darth Maul
Count Dooku
Jango Fett
General Grievous
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Plo Koon
Yoda

...just off the top. lol lol
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

ShockWaveZ55

Postby ShockWaveZ55 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:40 pm

HowardTheDuck wrote:The idea of a set for each trilogy makes more sense to ne now that I think about it. Although as mentioned there's not much love for the prequels I'd be pretty into a set that included...

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Qui-Gon
Darth Maul
Padme
Jar-Jar
Darth Maul
Count Dooku
Jango Fett
General Grievous
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Plo Koon
Yoda

How could I forget Darth Maul and Grievous! Say what you will about the prequel story but there's some of the best individual characters in those prequels.
Hi there! I'm Eric
pop count: over 900 8-[

https://www.instagram.com/55puma55/

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:48 am

Even though there would be a total uproar, I'd love for these to be styled like the Princess/Harry Potter/DC Heroes and Pets/Villains lines. They don't need pets or anything, I just think they would look soooooo cute! lol They will most likely be styled like the Marvel minis, though.

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:15 am

HowardTheDuck wrote:The idea of a set for each trilogy makes more sense to ne now that I think about it. Although as mentioned there's not much love for the prequels I'd be pretty into a set that included...

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Qui-Gon
Darth Maul
Padme
Jar-Jar
Darth Maul
Count Dooku
Jango Fett
General Grievous
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Plo Koon
Yoda

Great set! Now add Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli and a Darth Maul that bobbles at the waist.
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

Munky

Postby Munky » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 am

How many people would buy the 1-3 set?
I wouldn't, other than hunting for a Darth Maul.
I think a lot of the appeal of these is going to be largely related to the style they choose for them as well.
We know they can do some great detailed figures, but to me, some of the range can be a bit too 'cute'.
If they mix all the movies and say launch two sets at once (dark side /rebels) I would be reluctantly 'forced' to buy the series 1-3 figures to complete the set.
I'm sure Funko have figured this as the love for episodes 1-3 just isn't as strong and this range will probably eclipse all previous MM sales due to the large Star Wars fan base and appeal to MM collectors!
Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... Are the Star Wars Mystery Minis out yet?... \:D/

HawaiianLion

Postby HawaiianLion » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:19 am

They should start with an ANH 40th Anniversary set. :)

And I think we already know what the Minis are going to look like... the new Wobblers are basically giant Mystery Minis. ;)
Aloha, I'm Chris!

"Nonconformity is a wonderful trait, and it's going to be valued in adulthood. If you're different in school, that makes you an outsider. If you're different as an adult, that makes you interesting, fun and often successful."
~Alexandra Robbins, author, "The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth"

Return to “Blind Bags”