Star Wars: The Last Jedi Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
w00kiee77

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Mystery Minis

Postby w00kiee77 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm

KnightsOfRey wrote:
bizzydesigner wrote:Anyone have a Porg (GS exclusive) weight? I need a porg in my life lol I especially like the one with the wings out

Well this is probably not what you want to hear, but I can tell you this is going to be a very difficult set to scale. The GS Porg I pulled weighed within +/- 1 gram of 7 other figures in the same case.

I guess that's the downside of having the majority of figures being humanoidy...

I don't suppose you have a list of weights all the same, or know where they can be found, please? (I'm new to the whole weighing thing but with so many dupes now I'm ready to embrace it!)

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Funko Hunter wrote:
Geescube wrote:
Funko Hunter wrote:They were Buy 1 Get 1 50% off last Saturday :eek:

For pro members only.

Shouldn't all funatics be pro members for the potential savings? lol

No. Even with the "savings" I can do better at Barnes or Hot Topic.

Macmill22

Postby Macmill22 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 am

Geescube wrote:

For pro members only.

Macmill22 wrote:I mainly just wanted a porg army.

Porg Porg Porg. <3 #PorgLyfe

All about that porg life! #porganomics
950+ pops, dorbz, minis, psh, patches, and pins.
Follow my funko life on Instagram @macmill22 :freddy1:

Macmill22

Postby Macmill22 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 am

Geescube wrote:

For pro members only.

Macmill22 wrote:I mainly just wanted a porg army.

Porg Porg Porg. <3 #PorgLyfe

All about that porg life! #porganomics
950+ pops, dorbz, minis, psh, patches, and pins.
Follow my funko life on Instagram @macmill22 :freddy1:

Funko Hunter

Postby Funko Hunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

Geescube wrote:No. Even with the "savings" I can do better at Barnes or Hot Topic.

To each his own; personally, I like to keep my options open and shop the sales retailer to retailer. But when I do preorder Pops I really want, It does help to get the bonus rewards points, plus there's the occasional Pro only sale like this last one.

Lonikins
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award

Postby Lonikins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 am

Just a warning - my gamestop had a messaged handed down to them from their district manager (not sure if he got it from corporate) about not allowing anyone to weigh the figures. If you're caught weighing then you are told you can't buy anything.
Lauren - @flippiefloppies on twitter - @lonikinsfunko on IG - Spirit 2017 - CotM October 2018 - Hall of Fame Class of 2020

ImageImageImageImage

Funko Hunter

Postby Funko Hunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 am

Lonikins wrote:Just a warning - my gamestop had a messaged handed down to them from their district manager (not sure if he got it from corporate) about not allowing anyone to weigh the figures. If you're caught weighing then you are told you can't buy anything.

A policy like that is probably at the discretion of the store leader or manager, and whether the store can afford to lose the potential sale.

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

Funko Hunter wrote:
Geescube wrote:No. Even with the "savings" I can do better at Barnes or Hot Topic.

To each his own; personally, I like to keep my options open and shop the sales retailer to retailer. But when I do preorder Pops I really want, It does help to get the bonus rewards points, plus there's the occasional Pro only sale like this last one.

Yep we shop differently. I dont preorder, i dont wait for occasional sales when I can scoop up commons cheaper than $11.99. lol

Lonikins wrote:Just a warning - my gamestop had a messaged handed down to them from their district manager (not sure if he got it from corporate) about not allowing anyone to weigh the figures. If you're caught weighing then you are told you can't buy anything.

Straight bogus. Were they posting signs? Or just telling you? Gunna be a crap show because employees will definitely not enforce for all custies. Barftastic, poor move.

Lonikins

Postby Lonikins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am

Geescube wrote:
Straight bogus. Were they posting signs? Or just telling you? Gunna be a crap show because employees will definitely not enforce for all custies. Barftastic, poor move.

I think they had just gotten the email that day. I went in to drop off something for my brother and then wanted to see the TLJ MMs - the employee working there let me know. Not sure how it's all gonna shake out, but should be interesting - more of a buy, weigh at home, and return unopened ones situation from now on lol
Lauren - @flippiefloppies on twitter - @lonikinsfunko on IG - Spirit 2017 - CotM October 2018 - Hall of Fame Class of 2020

ImageImageImageImage

Lonikins

Postby Lonikins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Funko Hunter wrote:

A policy like that is probably at the discretion of the store leader or manager, and whether the store can afford to lose the potential sale.

We shall see, but just wanted to give you all a warning in case this starts happening at other stores.

ImageImageImageImage

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Lonikins wrote:I think they had just gotten the email that day. I went in to drop off something for my brother and then wanted to see the TLJ MMs - the employee working there let me know. Not sure how it's all gonna shake out, but should be interesting - more of a buy, weigh at home, and return unopened ones situation from now on lol

Hopefully the employee was nice abt it. Yep agree, thats what they will have to deal with from now on.

jgordini

Postby jgordini » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Apparently GS employees are now also reorganizing the boxes in a case so a layout can't be used.
Hi! I'm Jim
IG of my customs: jgordini
Most desired all White Protos:Uncle Si Wacky Wobbler, Uncle Si POP! & Jase POP!

KnightsOfRey

Postby KnightsOfRey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 pm

A GameStop employee earlier this week ask me how much my scale cost and gladly rung up my minis after I weighed them in front of him. So if it is some sort of national GameStop mandate, we already have employees ignoring it.

I agree there is no way such policy is going to be enforced evenly, and that is a huge problem. Does GameStop allow returns of unopened blind boxes? If so, they will probably have to change that policy, or else it will be even worse. The figures will be off the shelf entirely for a couple days (no sales) and then be returned with no display box, looking even more picked over and unappealing as a result.

And, that is probably the only rational reason to do this. As people learn how widespread scaling is, they will be more reluctant to buy from a box with a few figures missing. They will know they are likely all commons that could be had risk free and cheaper on ebay. If it reaches the point retailers can only sell 2-4 figures per box to a scaler, they won't be able to afford continuing to sell these.

Personally, I see boxes with a few figures missing sit for months at almost every retailer.

What GameStop should do to combat this is to keep a second (or third or whatever) case in back, and use figures from that case to re-stock the case on the shelves every day, giving it the appearance of being fresh.

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:07 pm

KnightsOfRey wrote:I agree there is no way such policy is going to be enforced evenly, and that is a huge problem. Does GameStop allow returns of unopened blind boxes? If so, they will probably have to change that policy, or else it will be even worse. The figures will be off the shelf entirely for a couple days (no sales) and then be returned with no display box, looking even more picked over and unappealing as a result.

I dont know about Gamestop, but I think ToysRUs and Hot Topic have a policy about not being able to return blind boxes. Again like you said, comes down to enforcing that. I guess scales are like case layouts in a way, and the one way to combat case layouts is to mix the case up. Scaling probably cant be stopped as is, since its based on measuring versus predicting patterns.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 pm

jgordini wrote:Apparently GS employees are now also reorganizing the boxes in a case so a layout can't be used.

sw were already layout-less anyway as were J League, and quite possibly Ragnarok.

ShyGuyPal wrote:I dont know about Gamestop, but I think ToysRUs and Hot Topic have a policy about not being able to return blind boxes. Again like you said, comes down to enforcing that. I guess scales are like case layouts in a way, and the one way to combat case layouts is to mix the case up. Scaling probably cant be stopped as is, since its based on measuring versus predicting patterns.

If its sealed they really cant deny it. I mean they can say anything, but if its not on the receipts or displayed somewhere within the return policy, its BOGUS. Thats the problem with retailers, no body is ever on the same page. You got stores making up rules, other ignoring rules. It's one of the most annoying things pretty much...ever.

eljefe81

Postby eljefe81 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 pm

This is a good resource as actual return laws vary from state to state. Most businesses will do returns as a matter of courtesy (and to avoid bad press/offending customers) but there are many states where they are not obligated to do a return

http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-tr ... state.html
Proud member of Markenty's Garage

Funko Hunter

Postby Funko Hunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

A lot of this could be avoided if Funko just went back to the 1:12 ratios. I think some people/collectors are just trying to avoid an army of commons.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I was at the GS/Think Geek by my work the other night weighing TLJ minis. No one said anything, and they def saw me doing it. So that's one store at least that doesn't seem to care.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Funko Hunter

Postby Funko Hunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Entirely different product line, but one Lego Store in my area has a display with opened mystery figures. Their rule is you can trade for one on display if you buy a pack and end up getting one you don't want. Not sure this would translate well for MM boxes, but it would be helpful for the casual buyer who just wants a specific character and can instantly trade for it at the counter.

I did this for a few of the Lego Batman mystery figures since they had the one I really wanted on the display

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Funko Hunter wrote:Entirely different product line, but one Lego Store in my area has a display with opened mystery figures. Their rule is you can trade for one on display if you buy a pack and end up getting one you don't want. Not sure this would translate well for MM boxes, but it would be helpful for the casual buyer who just wants a specific character and can instantly trade for it at the counter.

I did this for a few of the Lego Batman mystery figures since they had the one I really wanted on the display

Alot of LCS are really cool about this. Big box retailers I havent seen many.

HawkLord

Postby HawkLord » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Funko Hunter wrote:Entirely different product line, but one Lego Store in my area has a display with opened mystery figures. Their rule is you can trade for one on display if you buy a pack and end up getting one you don't want. Not sure this would translate well for MM boxes, but it would be helpful for the casual buyer who just wants a specific character and can instantly trade for it at the counter.

I've also seen this at some comic stores and at least one HT. Usually the tradeable figure is a super common, but at least it's something. Lego CMF have the problem of people feeling up bags, but some stores have started keeping the CMF behind the counter or in individual protective plastic cases, so you can't feel them.

Cherry-picking will always be a thing, but I think it's generally balanced out by impulse buyers who just pick up one pack and are hoping for the best. The one shot impulsers get the leftovers from the weighers and layout masters. Eventually it gets the entire case sold, as it's not like the impulsers ever know that they don't have a chance because a weigher came by already.

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 pm

lego minifigure blind identification is an art. when i collected them (maybe 3 yrs ago) i would just ask the lego store worker to save me a sett when they came in. then i found it more satisfying to find a set by myself through feeling the bags. then i stopped altogether. but at lego stores they would either find them for you. verify what you thought it was. pretty much anything you wanted.
(Signature powered by VALOR Industries 4.0)

bluesnote

Postby bluesnote » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 pm

These will fit nicely in my collection. This is a MUST have for me, but I don't want to pay retail. Best bet is to wait a few month for the prices to die down in eBay and get them for $2 or less. Learned this lesson the hard way.

MiniDeadpool

Postby MiniDeadpool » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 am

jgordini wrote:Apparently GS employees are now also reorganizing the boxes in a case so a layout can't be used.

So looks like they are trying to crack down on both layouts and weighing at the same time. Interesting.

Think Knights of Rey had a really good point about cases laying unsold for months because people realize that if its picked over, everything rare is probably already gone.

Seen this at least one comic/geek shop I occasionally go to. However the ones on display seemed to be the ones that were not very desirable, but hey at least it was an option.
My instagram: Sickleclaw

Funko Hunter

Postby Funko Hunter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 am

MiniDeadpool wrote:Think Knights of Rey had a really good point about cases laying unsold for months because people realize that if its picked over, everything rare is probably already gone.

That's entirely possible, but with the weight deviation being so close together in these later series, the only easy ones to pick out are the outliers. In this series, it's been Phasma and Chewie. Most other ones are typically within a couple grams of each other, and some tend to weigh +/- 1 or 2 grams different even for the same character.

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Funko Hunter wrote:A lot of this could be avoided if Funko just went back to the 1:12 ratios. I think some people/collectors are just trying to avoid an army of commons.

This is what finally pushed me over with getting a scale... I didn't want to be "that person" who was standing at the counter weighing them, but the last Harry Potter series had THREE 1/6s and I had already bought 2 cases and have been stuck with too many Harry, Ron and Snapes, especially after pulling a couple of boxes from a new case before my cases arrived and being stuck with Snape, TWO Harrys and a Horntail... If Funko fixed the ratios and I knew I could pull a few boxes from a case, full or not, and not have the risk of them all being the same character, then I wouldn't have bought the scales...

keyese

Postby keyese » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I wasn't going to go for this set, but I bought a full box at Gamestop, so here we are. I'll unbox in a bit :)
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

myktek

Postby myktek » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 pm

I also bought a case from Gamestop, got 2 of the gamestop exclusives and 2x 1/24 and had 2 doubles.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Went back to the same GS as before and got the last few they had. Scored the First Order Executioner, BB-9E, two BB-8s (I'll take 20, he's too damn cute), and Rose. Was really hoping for that Porg. WIll def keep hunting...
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm getting a little closer ...

This is a display case that's normally used for Baseballs and Hockey Pucks.

I'm Greg. My son is "RSVHockeyDude". We collect Funko products together.
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Funko Soda (My New Favorite): 762 different Sodas including Intl Versions
Other Funko Products (Hikari, Vynl, Wobblers, etc) = 87
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)

PopDaddy

Postby PopDaddy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 am

konko wrote:I'm getting a little closer ...

This is a display case that's normally used for Baseballs and Hockey Pucks.

I don't see the picture Greg!
WTB: Luffy color proto

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 am

kihou wrote:I wasn't going to go for this set, but I bought a full box at Gamestop, so here we are. I'll unbox in a bit :)

Its Tuesday, where?!??!?????????!!.!.?.!.!.

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm

kihou wrote:I wasn't going to go for this set, but I bought a full box at Gamestop, so here we are. I'll unbox in a bit :)

Ha! a common theme, I think... "nah, not going to get these... ooh, a case!"

I dno't suppose you will be weighing when you unbox perchance? :D

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:25 pm

My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Okay opened my box! Here's my weights and layout:

TBL - Gamestop Rey (53.05)
TBR - Gamestop Porg (53.02)
TML - BB-9E (52.15)
TMR - Phasma (59.2)
TFL - Finn undercover (50.82)
TFR - Phasma (57.89)

BBL - Snoak (54.9)
BBR - Leia (52.19)
BML - BB8 (50.61)
BMR - BB8 (50.18)
BFL - Rose (51.34)
BFR - Poe (50.23)

Unfortunately all them are really close in weight other than Phasma.
ISO Mystery Minis!
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 pm

kihou wrote:Okay opened my box! Here's my weights and layout:

TBL - Gamestop Rey (53.05)
TBR - Gamestop Porg (53.02)
TML - BB-9E (52.15)
TMR - Phasma (59.2)
TFL - Finn undercover (50.82)
TFR - Phasma (57.89)

BBL - Snoak (54.9)
BBR - Leia (52.19)
BML - BB8 (50.61)
BMR - BB8 (50.18)
BFL - Rose (51.34)
BFR - Poe (50.23)

Unfortunately all them are really close in weight other than Phasma.

If you find chewie he's pretty heavy as well.
My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13

Neuron

Postby Neuron » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 pm

man that phasma is all over the place!
ImageImage

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:23 am

PorgLyfffffeee. I tried for him a few times got the Snoke instead. -___- and i was convinced it was Porg cuz I thought I felt the wings when I really felt the damn arms. :roflmao: :roflmao:

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:40 am

Geescube wrote:

PorgLyfffffeee. I tried for him a few times got the Snoke instead. -___- and i was convinced it was Porg cuz I thought I felt the wings when I really felt the damn arms. :roflmao: :roflmao:

This set is real hard without layouts :(
ISO Mystery Minis!

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Geescube wrote:

Just gotta press harder. :cheers:
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Return to “Blind Bags”