Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Kevin926

Re: Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Postby Kevin926 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Time will tell. It's a gamble when it comes to the exclusives from HT. Barnes and Noble exclusives are way easier to get. The commons are becoming peg warmers , to the point where stores are giving them deals like buy one get one, or 50% off the 2nd. Even HT was doing a 3 for 5 deal. It's beginning to look like Eowyn will remain a hard to get piece. Lurtz being a close 2nd.

The gamble is, do I buy one now or wait. The danger is, watching the prices go even higher. Then again, there could be a ton available over seas.

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Does anyone know quantity amounts for exclusives? More than or less than 1000?

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Mystlurker wrote:
Kevin926 wrote:I joined 3 Facebook groups for these minis. No luck there at all. It's nothing but a popularity contest, and the admins are big shots that control everything. I wasted a couple of weeks working out a deal for an Eowyn only to be left at the altar. Once I had what the user wanted for trade, he stopped answering my messages. Mean while, the prices kept going up.. I left all 3 groups at the same time. I wouldn't waste my time on Facebook groups. I once bought a part for my vintage star wars dessert skiff from a Facebook group. It was sent to me in a padded envelope, and the part cracked during shipping. This was sold to me by the admin of the group. I haven't been back since.

I asked an employee at HT if they had new cases and he brought out a case with the front 2 tops missing. Completey frustrating.

What baffles me is why are the prices going up? Every other set the prices start high and go down over a 3-6 month period before bottoming out then going back up. Usually the up-up-away is reserved for LE items or con exclusives.

I wonder if they haven't yet distributed the entirety of the initial batch so availability is extra limited. Last I checked PC they also weren't yet available in AU, so there's likely another wave coming in 1-4 months.
I wonder if they underestimated the popularity of lord of the rings.

Velmeran

Postby Velmeran » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I could sorta see it, I mean they vastly underestimated the popularity with the first wave of LotR pops, but I can't imagine would have have made the same mistake twice with the LotR license.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Kevin926 wrote:Time will tell. It's a gamble when it comes to the exclusives from HT. Barnes and Noble exclusives are way easier to get. The commons are becoming peg warmers , to the point where stores are giving them deals like buy one get one, or 50% off the 2nd. Even HT was doing a 3 for 5 deal. It's beginning to look like Eowyn will remain a hard to get piece. Lurtz being a close 2nd.

The gamble is, do I buy one now or wait. The danger is, watching the prices go even higher. Then again, there could be a ton available over seas.

I'm at least waiting till after AU gets theirs. I don't think this is sustainable.
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

First: Soldier 76
Favorite: Headless Ned Stark
Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot
ISO: Metallic Thing; Metallic Genie; Metallic (SDCC) Captain America

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 am

Kevin926 wrote:
Mystlurker wrote:
Kevin926 wrote:I joined 3 Facebook groups for these minis. No luck there at all. It's nothing but a popularity contest, and the admins are big shots that control everything. I wasted a couple of weeks working out a deal for an Eowyn only to be left at the altar. Once I had what the user wanted for trade, he stopped answering my messages. Mean while, the prices kept going up.. I left all 3 groups at the same time. I wouldn't waste my time on Facebook groups. I once bought a part for my vintage star wars dessert skiff from a Facebook group. It was sent to me in a padded envelope, and the part cracked during shipping. This was sold to me by the admin of the group. I haven't been back since.

I asked an employee at HT if they had new cases and he brought out a case with the front 2 tops missing. Completey frustrating.

What baffles me is why are the prices going up? Every other set the prices start high and go down over a 3-6 month period before bottoming out then going back up. Usually the up-up-away is reserved for LE items or con exclusives.

I wonder if they haven't yet distributed the entirety of the initial batch so availability is extra limited. Last I checked PC they also weren't yet available in AU, so there's likely another wave coming in 1-4 months.
I wonder if they underestimated the popularity of lord of the rings.

All of the commons are super cheap, so I think its just something weird with these exclusives.
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 am

RBlue30 wrote:Has anyone seen a recent restock of these? Or is it over already?

I certainly hope there’s more. We just got our first shipment here on the west coast about a month ago!
It’s me Lynda

Neolite

Postby Neolite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:34 am

Picked up a couple of these today. Funko did a great job with these. They turned out very well. Excited to buy a few more!

BrienneTheBlue

Postby BrienneTheBlue » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 am

Picked from a fresh box today, got Pippin (there may have been a little whoop when I opened that box, lol) and Aragorn duplicate (from the back top left so I don't know what happened there but if anyone wants him, just let me know)

Hi, I'm Fran.

Signature from the fantastic bathtub-tigers

nightschwing

Postby nightschwing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:33 am

BrienneTheBlue wrote:Picked from a fresh box today, got Pippin (there may have been a little whoop when I opened that box, lol) and Aragorn duplicate (from the back top left so I don't know what happened there but if anyone wants him, just let me know)

The fresh case I pillaged had two Merrys. (The second one took the slot of either a Sam or a Frodo.)

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm watching Eowyn bid up past 160. Just watched one hit 178.00 , another Buy it now for 219, and the other over 300. I think both are reaches. But the auctions are bidding high.

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Looked last night but no boxes :(
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

Velmeran

Postby Velmeran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Kevin926 wrote:I'm watching Eowyn bid up past 160. Just watched one hit 178.00 , another Buy it now for 219, and the other over 300. I think both are reaches. But the auctions are bidding high.

The well of HT exclusives seems to be running dry.... just 4 exclusives up on ebay at the moment (2 Eowyn, 1 Lurtz and 1 WKA)
That's not going to help reduce prices...

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Has Hot Topic stopped restocking these? My local store only got 2 boxes total. The store across town got 3 in total. Very frustrating.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 pm

My HTs have nothing. I call everyday just to check, and stop in every 3 days to make sure. One employee said he doesn't think anymore are coming in. Another employee said check back next month. Not sure who knows what. But seeing how you can't even buy them online, its not looking very promising.

I'm only collecting the lord of the rings ones, and this is my first as far as funko collecting goes. But I think I did learn what to do IF there is a next series. I'm only buying cases online from each of the exclusive stores. I will buy other people's dupes on ebay for half the price.

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am

Kevin926 wrote:My HTs have nothing. I call everyday just to check, and stop in every 3 days to make sure. One employee said he doesn't think anymore are coming in. Another employee said check back next month. Not sure who knows what. But seeing how you can't even buy them online, its not looking very promising.

I'm only collecting the lord of the rings ones, and this is my first as far as funko collecting goes. But I think I did learn what to do IF there is a next series. I'm only buying cases online from each of the exclusive stores. I will buy other people's dupes on ebay for half the price.

What sucks is HT offers individual boxes online, but you usually can't buy a full case. The last time I got 2 sets of 10 (the max you can get per order) and got 18 commons and two uncommons total. It's a crap shoot to say the least.

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 am

Velmeran wrote:
Kevin926 wrote:I'm watching Eowyn bid up past 160. Just watched one hit 178.00 , another Buy it now for 219, and the other over 300. I think both are reaches. But the auctions are bidding high.

The well of HT exclusives seems to be running dry.... just 4 exclusives up on ebay at the moment (2 Eowyn, 1 Lurtz and 1 WKA)

Well, now Eowyn isn't being listed for less than 200. There are 3 up now with the lowest at 199.99, the other at 219 obo and the over 300 dollar reach. One lurtz and one witchking. Weekends usually bring more but the prices that are up won't help the cause. Especially when eowyn bids up higher each time.

There has to be some info out there as far as edition piece numbers. Professional buyers use this info all the time. It's no coincidence rarer pieces go first off the shelf. Professional buyers do this and sell in their shops and now ebay. This has been going on ever since I remember. They don't buy on a hope, they know what they're buying and what to look for.

I'm really curious to see the exclusive numbers. I would bet, BN has more seeing how these aren't the ones being chased or the prices going out of control .

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Kevin926 wrote:
Velmeran wrote:

Well, now Eowyn isn't being listed for less than 200. There are 3 up now with the lowest at 199.99, the other at 219 obo and the over 300 dollar reach. One lurtz and one witchking. Weekends usually bring more but the prices that are up won't help the cause. Especially when eowyn bids up higher each time.

There has to be some info out there as far as edition piece numbers. Professional buyers use this info all the time. It's no coincidence rarer pieces go first off the shelf. Professional buyers do this and sell in their shops and now ebay. This has been going on ever since I remember. They don't buy on a hope, they know what they're buying and what to look for.

I'm really curious to see the exclusive numbers. I would bet, BN has more seeing how these aren't the ones being chased or the prices going out of control .

My HT has received 4 total cases of the LOTR minis since they released (the two other locations in my city have gotten 2 cases, no re-stocks). Meanwhile, every BN in the area has stocked and re-stocked 3 times already, and the latest re-stock has been about 5 cases per store. According to google there are 686 Hot Topic locations, and 781 BNs. So BN not only has more stores, but they're receiving more inventory. No idea if they're all being as stocked as well as my BNs have been, though.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Kevin926 wrote:My HTs have nothing. I call everyday just to check, and stop in every 3 days to make sure. One employee said he doesn't think anymore are coming in. Another employee said check back next month. Not sure who knows what. But seeing how you can't even buy them online, its not looking very promising.

It can be really hard to judge with HT about if/when re-stocks will happen. With the horror series 2 minis, my HT got in multiple re-stocks of several cases, but it was spread out over the course of months. Horror series 3, they got re-stocked maybe one or twice.

nightschwing

Postby nightschwing » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:38 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:It can be really hard to judge with HT about if/when re-stocks will happen. With the horror series 2 minis, my HT got in multiple re-stocks of several cases, but it was spread out over the course of months. Horror series 3, they got re-stocked maybe one or twice.

Meanwhile my Hot Topic just put out a new Justice League case, so...

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:10 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
Kevin926 wrote:
Velmeran wrote:The well of HT exclusives seems to be running dry.... just 4 exclusives up on ebay at the moment (2 Eowyn, 1 Lurtz and 1 WKA)

My HT has received 4 total cases of the LOTR minis since they released (the two other locations in my city have gotten 2 cases, no re-stocks). Meanwhile, every BN in the area has stocked and re-stocked 3 times already, and the latest re-stock has been about 5 cases per store. According to google there are 686 Hot Topic locations, and 781 BNs. So BN not only has more stores, but they're receiving more inventory. No idea if they're all being as stocked as well as my BNs have been, though.

That number does show for sure. Not to mention, BN exclusives are way easier to get. Like I mentioned before, I pulled all three from 1 case. I really hope HT exclusives will be replaced by another store chain later on. I have heard HT is having difficulty maintaining at the stores. Online sales are better.

Esko5150

Postby Esko5150 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 am

So this happened today to me.

LOL

I know people have the right to sell it for whatever they want, but there are some old rare pop grails that aren't even selling for over 200$. These people are delusional and I hope no one is buying at these ridiculous prices.
Hello I'm ESKO!
900+ Pops, Mystery Minis, Sodas & Other Funko Products
Mayor of Angrytown

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 am

Finally finished my set. This and Stranger things were by far the toughest to complete but this set was well worth all the time and money I had to put into it. Best mini set yet by far

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 am

Lurtz was selling for 80 dollars, just last week. Eowyn as low as 98.00 on auction I have been watching for over a month. Even though there weren't a ton, there were still a bunch. I did pay 40 for a witchking however. At the time, there were a bunch of witchkings. Someone listed him wrong and I bid and won, not really thinking I would get him. They were going for around 50 at the time.

It's really the fault of the buyers to be honest. If they didn't pay, it would just sit. But that was also when more than 5 at a time were on auctions.

Now the only issue is they have become scarce. Not too sure about reloads at HT.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

Esko5150 wrote:So this happened today to me.

LOL

I know people have the right to sell it for whatever they want, but there are some old rare pop grails that aren't even selling for over 200$. These people are delusional and I hope no one is buying at these ridiculous prices.

Trading isn't any better. People want multiple vaulted 1/72 minis for their single HT or BN exclusive. One guy wanted 4 of my Horror series 1 minis (one of them being a 1/72) for his BN Galadriel. Another guy wanted all the Horror series 1 1/72 and 1/144 Minis for his Eowyn.

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm

I lost 2 weeks working out a trade on a Facebook group. He wanted pieces I didn't have from an Eowyn. Once I found the pieces, he stopped replying. Now I'm stuck with pieces I don't care about. Besides that, what's to stop anyone from cheating a trade. All you need to do is not send or send the wrong thing. What's the worst that will happen. You get kicked off the group? I just don't trust it.

My main concern is the lack of new stock. If this is indeed the end.. Only hope is ,they restock. If overseas hasn't received them yet, maybe all the lurtz and eowyns may be headed there. Hopefully we can buy them without crazy pricing. I know we have to pay more shipping

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Velmeran wrote:You are also correct, Australia and New Zealand aren't getting their B&N/HT stock in until March (were supposed to get it in January) so it is possible that their were production delays and the US didn't get their full supply yet either.

Yeah, that delay for down here had me thinking that there was a production issue, and also that craziness with B&N only being sent 3 boxes each... maybe they were contractually obliged to send SOMETHING by a certain date and just had to make up numbers after that...

I seriously doubt that people in any retail industry, especially one that caters so strongly to nerdom, would underestimate the appeal of LOTR... Some of those fans are EXTREME...

Prices are driven up by people's obsession and need for having it NOW... The HT ones as usual just aren't around as much as others (especially Arwen etc being in the B&N cases) and people just go mental... If some self-restraint is shown and not paying so much, they wouldn't drive the PPG averages up and it wouldn't in turn justify prices being so high still... But people are scared that they will have another Buckbeak on their hands and those regretting paying $90 when Buckbeak was released when he's paying whatever he is now...

Kevin926 wrote:I lost 2 weeks working out a trade on a Facebook group. He wanted pieces I didn't have from an Eowyn. Once I found the pieces, he stopped replying. Now I'm stuck with pieces I don't care about. Besides that, what's to stop anyone from cheating a trade. All you need to do is not send or send the wrong thing. What's the worst that will happen. You get kicked off the group? I just don't trust it.

I would never trade high end items unless I'd dealt with them before, or they were super well respected in the group... Group feedback is always good and handing out and seeing who interacts with who etc is a good indicator as well, but yeah, not on that scale...

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm

w00kiee77 wrote:
Velmeran wrote:You are also correct, Australia and New Zealand aren't getting their B&N/HT stock in until March (were supposed to get it in January) so it is possible that their were production delays and the US didn't get their full supply yet either.

Yeah, that delay for down here had me thinking that there was a production issue, and also that craziness with B&N only being sent 3 boxes each... maybe they were contractually obliged to send SOMETHING by a certain date and just had to make up numbers after that...

Given that these are more detailed than many previous minis, I wonder if they had quality control issues beyond even what Funko could consider acceptable. Would explain why some sets were available and some weren't. Either way, I agree that its likely some kind of production issue and with luck we will see restocks in the future.

I'm going to gamble and not pull the trigger on any of the rares/exclusives for another few months, hopefully the 1/72 come back down to the $50-$75 range.

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I found a full B&N case today, so I grabbed a bunch. As I was walking up to pay, I found 3 more mostly-empty cases on the Pop! displays. Well, I got skunked. My "full" case must have been an amalgamation of different left-overs. My Boromir and Aragorn army grows...
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Mystlurker wrote:I'm going to gamble and not pull the trigger on any of the rares/exclusives for another few months, hopefully the 1/72 come back down to the $50-$75 range.

I'm getting a bunch of minis sent over from the States, incl. 12 of the LOTR series, but no actual exclusives except for a fairly decently priced Sauron (although he's dropped since), so I pre-ordered a B&N case from PC... At least that way I will definitely get an invisible Frodo with one to sell/trade, a golden Gimli, and a chance for GITD Galadriel, Arwen, or a Nazgul... I think I might have expended most of my luck with cases though, as I snagged a Trevor when I bought Poter S2 cases and Foghorn when I got WB ones...

Knowing my luck THIS time though, I will probably get a dupe Sauron *prepares self just in case*

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I went directly to funko and sent them an email. I decided to get this directly from the horses mouth. Not saying I will get a reply or if I do, maybe not an accurate one. Time will tell and I will post what ever they send me.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm

The Infinity War mini leak is almost as bad. While not 2 1/72 exclusives, there are 4 1/6 and 2 1/12, meaning only 2 box slots for anything else. The HT exclusives are 1/24, 1/36, and 1/72.

I feel like Funko is getting a bit much with these ratios. 1/6 is fine if there is 1 or maybe 2, but 4 is ...

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Mystlurker wrote: 1/6 is fine if there is 1 or maybe 2, but 4 is ...

1/6 is NEVER fine, it can be tolerated at 1 per case but this garbage as of late is really going to turn me away from this company as minis are my favorite product they have and they are making some terrible decisions with them lately.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
Mystlurker wrote: 1/6 is fine if there is 1 or maybe 2, but 4 is ...

1/6 is NEVER fine, it can be tolerated at 1 per case but this garbage as of late is really going to turn me away from this company as minis are my favorite product they have and they are making some terrible decisions with them lately.

I didn't mind the Thor mini's with GS having 2 1/6 exclusives. That was the second easiest set to complete for me (X-Men was easiest, all 1/12).

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 pm

To go one further, why did they put in 2 yogi bears in the same box with 2 different weights? Needles to say, they are on to us and our scales. They aren't stupid. They are in this to make money. The more 1/6s the more we end up with, the more we buy. We buy them by the case, they change the ratios. We use scales, they throw us off.

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Kevin926 wrote:To go one further, why did they put in 2 yogi bears in the same box with 2 different weights? Needles to say, they are on to us and our scales. They aren't stupid. They are in this to make money. The more 1/6s the more we end up with, the more we buy. We buy them by the case, they change the ratios. We use scales, they throw us off.

Weights can vary by figure, usually with bobble heads. It's not an exact science unfortunately. Still think they should be sold out of box, no mystery needed.

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm

And another Eowyn just bid to 199 after it started at 100.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

FredKruger wrote:
Kevin926 wrote:To go one further, why did they put in 2 yogi bears in the same box with 2 different weights? Needles to say, they are on to us and our scales. They aren't stupid. They are in this to make money. The more 1/6s the more we end up with, the more we buy. We buy them by the case, they change the ratios. We use scales, they throw us off.

Weights can vary by figure, usually with bobble heads. It's not an exact science unfortunately. Still think they should be sold out of box, no mystery needed.

I've found weights vary by as much as 3-4g on some minis. Others are always within 0.5g, even in the same set. In the Rogue One set Phasma tormented me because it had a wide range for some reason.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am

Mystlurker wrote:
FredKruger wrote:

I've found weights vary by as much as 3-4g on some minis. Others are always within 0.5g, even in the same set. In the Rogue One set Phasma tormented me because it had a wide range for some reason.

Same. I rarely find minis that exactly match the weights that other people post. I just sort of go with "close enough", which sometimes ends up with me getting duplicates, or a figure that wasn't what I thought it would be. But that's the way it goes. It's still closer than just shaking the box or hoping that I get lucky and don't pull yet another Frodo.

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 am

allcutethings2 wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:is it me or does that Aragorn look more like Peter Jackson than Vigo?

It's not just you. Between the hair and the body style, it doesn't really seem at all like the Aragorn or Stryder look.

Haha! I thought this same thing. I love the mini but it seemed off a bit.

Return to “Blind Bags”