Mystery Minis vs. PSH

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
AvisShadow

Mystery Minis vs. PSH

Postby AvisShadow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Does anyone have a preference for Mystery Minis compared to PSH or vice versa? I have a tendency to pick up a PSH over Mystery Minis. PSH packs are always easier to tell what you'll get, and I think they're super cute.

I've been wanting to get into Mystery Minis, but I just feel like there's so much room for getting duplicates. I'm just not sure that I can keep shelling out the big bucks to try and get the ones that I want.

The Coco and Thor Ragnarok Mystery Minis are calling my name, but I don't know if I can succumb to the temptation lol.
In Search of...
    Pops!: GitD Jolly Roger SDCC, Mr. Toad SDCC, and Thor and Loki Ragnarok from MCC
    PSH: GotG Walmart exclusives!

Gothamite

Re: Mystery Minis vs. PSH

Postby Gothamite » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

If you don't like risk:

1) Wait for clearance sales.

2) Buy on eBay.

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:12 pm

PSH are better all the way. My favorite part about them compared to Minis is that I'm given a chance to get what I want, while it's all luck with Mystery Minis.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm

I generally like PSH more than minis but I do wish the PSH were just a tiny bit bigger.

Anrock10

Postby Anrock10 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:18 pm

I like psh more
:freddy2:

Heli88

Postby Heli88 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:25 pm

I appreciate the ability to feel up the PSH bags, but I'm Mystery Minis all the way. Yeah, I probably look like a nut job whipping out a pocket scale at the store, but I generally do okay on duplicates. The individualized sculpts and larger size appeal to me more.

Plus, at least for me, PSH seem really prone to falling over, which just annoys me. They are cute, though.

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Gothamite wrote:If you don't like risk:

2) Buy on eBay.

Yeah, I just ordered mystery mini dark wing duck from ebay. I don't really need each figure from the set.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 pm

I strongly prefer Mystery Minis, but I do appreciate the Pint Size Heroes too. Both are welcome in my book!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:06 pm

I only tend to buy MM when it's a sure thing.

Knowing the layouts or buying on the aftermarket are my go-tos.

I like both MM and PSH since they are different design styles. It's always great to own more stuff from my fandoms.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:09 pm

I love gambling so I'd say minis for sure. If you want to help your odds you can buy a small scale, but even with one you are still bound to get duplicates. There is also a giant mini trading community which is awesome.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

pinklaquer

Postby pinklaquer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:11 pm

I personally prefer MM's due to the design aspect.

jayyy714

Postby jayyy714 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

I prefer Mystery Minis, but I do love all of the Disney PSH. Especially the NBC line and Toy story!
Instagram @Keepitnerdy15
Pop Quiz Season 1 Contestant

I want Disney Errrything! The
Funko Fundays 2016 Team Deadpool, 2017 Team Rebel Alliance, 2018 Team Gremlins and 2022 Proto Robos Champs!
Making Fun premiere
ISO
Disney Parks Protos (Missing Br’er Fox and Br’er Rabbit for Splash Mountain set)
Haunted Mansion
Matterhorn
Pirates of the Caribbean
Nightmare before Christmas Protos
Freddy Jack Skellington!

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 pm

minis for sure, my favorite part about them is that unlike the majority of pops and the PSH each figure is actually unique (for the most part). you get a much wider array of poses and it gives them the freedom to make them feel more distinct to the specific character.

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 pm

PSH are cute, but still prefer mystery minis if given a choice.
ImageImage
ImageImage

KryptonianRed

Postby KryptonianRed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm

I like both, but I’m also not as willing to take the risk on the minis without a layout. Psh are easier to buy for sure.

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:34 pm

KryptonianRed wrote:I like both, but I’m also not as willing to take the risk on the minis without a layout. Psh are easier to buy for sure.

And PSH are easier to,feel theu the package if your looking for that certain one you need to finish your set. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I prefer mystery minis. But the ratios now a days kill me. 1/6 ughhhhh :eek:

Minis-450+
And

KryptonianRed

Postby KryptonianRed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
KryptonianRed wrote:I like both, but I’m also not as willing to take the risk on the minis without a layout. Psh are easier to buy for sure.

And PSH are easier to,feel theu the package if your looking for that certain one you need to finish your set. \:D/

Exactly :D I just picked up several R&M psh, and only ended up with one double (I confused myself buying from two stores ). I just wish they stood up better.. I might have to use some sticky tac

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:41 pm

KryptonianRed wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:

Exactly :D I just picked up several R&M psh, and only ended up with one double (I confused myself buying from two stores ). I just wish they stood up better.. I might have to use some sticky tac

I use museum putty, bought it on amazon I use it for the psh and the minis \:D/

Minis-450+
And

KryptonianRed

Postby KryptonianRed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
KryptonianRed wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:

I use museum putty, bought it on amazon I use it for the psh and the minis \:D/

I’ll have to look in to that. Thanks!

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

PSH, big time. They are cuter, easier to complete, cheaper, and my favorite part is they have their own unique look. Mystery minis are cool, but they tend to have different designs between certain lines. For example, not all the Disney look the same. You have similar styles between the villains and princesses sets, then different ones for the earlier ones and newer ones. And between Disney, Marvel, horror, etc, they all differ in design. I like some sort of uniformity haha.
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

I love them both, but right now I think I am fonder of PSH. I love how tiny they are and how adorable. I do really appreciate the fact that they are less rare and therefore easier to complete a set. I love a lot of the designs for the new mystery minis, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in particular, but with so many rares and exclusives I always end up with a bin full of duplicates and those sets end up costing me a ton in time and money. PSH are a little more stress free at least for now. And I'm getting Masters of the Universe PSH! That is hands down my favorite thing announced for this year!
Hi, I'm Merri!

funko_poptography_89

Postby funko_poptography_89 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:31 pm

synergy56 wrote:I love them both, but right now I think I am fonder of PSH. I love how tiny they are and how adorable. I do really appreciate the fact that they are less rare and therefore easier to complete a set. I love a lot of the designs for the new mystery minis, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in particular, but with so many rares and exclusives I always end up with a bin full of duplicates and those sets end up costing me a ton in time and money. PSH are a little more stress free at least for now. And I'm getting Masters of the Universe PSH! That is hands down my favorite thing announced for this year!

Totally agree!! The ratios are so much friendlier on PSH (for now) than minis and it’s a breeze to get the whole set! I love collecting both though

DarthTiberius

Postby DarthTiberius » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Mystery Minis are my personal favorite! These new LOTR minis are probably the best I've ever seen Funko produce. Hopefully we get a Series 2!
Avid Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Funko Fan!
First Pop: First Order Stormtrooper Nov. 30th, 2015
Current Pop Count: 415
Favorite Pop: Headless Ned

Current Mystery Mini Count: 243
Favorite Mini: Witch King

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 am

I like mystery minis more.. I think they are the smaller versions of pop n it looks really cute imo
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

masteryoda69

Postby masteryoda69 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Mystery minis all the way. More details on them. Love them.

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm

toro423 wrote:PSH, big time. They are cuter, easier to complete, cheaper, and my favorite part is they have their own unique look. Mystery minis are cool, but they tend to have different designs between certain lines. For example, not all the Disney look the same. You have similar styles between the villains and princesses sets, then different ones for the earlier ones and newer ones. And between Disney, Marvel, horror, etc, they all differ in design. I like some sort of uniformity haha.

True story bro. I have been mildly concerned about having disney MM that don't all match in style. Usually it doesn't bother me but when then new princess set came out I wasn't a big fan. I've since come around.
I usually buy MM already opened from other collectors who have duplicates. I'm a pretty cheap collector too so I try not to spend more than $5 on one piece lol
PSH are so much fun to buy since I have been OK at guessing what was inside. Easier to complete the set, and cheaper (I got a complete set of Snow White on clearance at Gamestop for about $1 each!! woohoo!!)
San Diego funatic

mactds

Postby mactds » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 pm

I have a few mystery minis, but a ton of PSH. They just seem easier to identify, and they fit really well next to the accompanying pop in my display. They're also adorable, and I actually am semi-ok at getting the ones I want.
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 pm

I prefer the style of Mystery Minis, but I like the affordability and ease of PSH. Like, I can find any PSH I want just by feeling up the bag, so I save a lot of money. Plus, they're cheaper, and the ratios are all the same. Still, I do like MM more just because they look cooler to me.

athena

Postby athena » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:16 am

I prefer MM. I'm obsessed with the detail and the paint jobs
Funko Bae [IG @funkobae]

JPOPBaynes

Postby JPOPBaynes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm

I got sucked into the PSH, never did with MM.
I do like the bag vs. box, easier to end up with what I want.
ImageImage

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm

I like psh a lot more for all the reasons said above but recently I've really been appreciating mystery minis. I had to get the TTG set (still working on it) and the new lotr designs are so good.

It'll be a nice surprise what shape the designs take in the next new mystery mini set.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Gothamite wrote:If you don't like risk:

2) Buy on eBay.

Yep.

If you wait, people will start to blow out their dupes in batches and the prices will come down.
Funklub: 11181

Force951

Postby Force951 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 am

I like the hunt to find what i want, so Mystery Minis all the way for me.

SteakNEggs310

Postby SteakNEggs310 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:10 am

Both are great!! But I prefer the mystery minis instead.

Chaister87

Postby Chaister87 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:00 am

AvisShadow wrote:Does anyone have a preference for Mystery Minis compared to PSH or vice versa? I have a tendency to pick up a PSH over Mystery Minis. PSH packs are always easier to tell what you'll get, and I think they're super cute.

I've been wanting to get into Mystery Minis, but I just feel like there's so much room for getting duplicates. I'm just not sure that I can keep shelling out the big bucks to try and get the ones that I want.

The Coco and Thor Ragnarok Mystery Minis are calling my name, but I don't know if I can succumb to the temptation lol.

The more recent releases of mystery minis have 1:6 ratios so you tend to get a lot more duplicates. As for PSH, most of the time I can easily get what I'm looking for, but recently I've noticed that some of them are wrapped by the paper inside making it harder to feel through the bag :(

lastmidnight

Postby lastmidnight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:45 am

PSH all the way! I love that they are all unique but uniform is style, which makes them great to display together. They are also a little smaller. And of course, easier to tell what you’re getting and cheaper! And none of the crazy 1:72 nonsense.
ImageImage
Hello! My name is Kate. / Pop Count: 702 / PSH Count: 136

AvisShadow

Postby AvisShadow » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 pm

lol
Heli88 wrote:I appreciate the ability to feel up the PSH bags, but I'm Mystery Minis all the way. Yeah, I probably look like a nut job whipping out a pocket scale at the store, but I generally do okay on duplicates. The individualized sculpts and larger size appeal to me more.

Plus, at least for me, PSH seem really prone to falling over, which just annoys me. They are cute, though.

Yea, PSH definitely lack the ability to stand up. All I have to do is look at one and it falls over lol
In Search of...
    Pops!: GitD Jolly Roger SDCC, Mr. Toad SDCC, and Thor and Loki Ragnarok from MCC
    PSH: GotG Walmart exclusives!

S_E_R_G_I_O

Postby S_E_R_G_I_O » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 am

It's hard to decide I like them both, but I do have way more minis
Instagram - thefunkocouple
ImageImage

Warren8525

Postby Warren8525 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 pm

S_E_R_G_I_O wrote:It's hard to decide I like them both, but I do have way more minis

Same - since I have more MMs, I guess that's my preference. I think it really depends on the offerings/license.

Return to “Blind Bags”