Mini's without the mystery

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Dbratteli

Mini's without the mystery

Postby Dbratteli » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Anyone interested in a shift in selling strategy, for sets with 1/12 only, to make them similar to POPs with a display window so you know what you are getting?

If it means an end of having 5 sets of 1/6 in every case I might be tempted which sucks cause I do love the "Mystery".

Now they just need a test set with something really popular. Like Mickey Mouse or something (oh to dream......) :freddy3:
:freddy3:

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Re: Mini's without the mystery

Postby Geescube » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Happy about the move for Mickey. <3

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I am down for this, but if it expands to other sets it’ll eliminate the 1/72s and such. That is great for us but not so great for the Funko business.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

keyese

Postby keyese » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Valde wrote:I am down for this, but if it expands to other sets it’ll eliminate the 1/72s and such. That is great for us but not so great for the Funko business.

I'm always interested in knowing if they have better or worse sales when minis have the non-1/12 ratios. Some people don't bother with trying to complete them, but others are completionists.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

kihou wrote:
Valde wrote:I am down for this, but if it expands to other sets it’ll eliminate the 1/72s and such. That is great for us but not so great for the Funko business.

I'm always interested in knowing if they have better or worse sales when minis have the non-1/12 ratios. Some people don't bother with trying to complete them, but others are completionists.

With this model it won’t make sense to have exlcusives because people will just clear them out of stores. It would have the people who don’t scale yet not even need one to achieve what some are at the moment. Without exlcusives they won’t sell nearly as much, how many cases would Hot Topic have gotten if they didn’t have some of the best characters in there as exlcusives.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I HATE the mystery part of minis, so yeah i'd be fine with a window being added.

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:16 pm

I wonder if we will get any store exclusives for mickey
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Nothing lower than 1/12, nothing higher than 1/72.

I hate pulling dupes, especially when the ratio is such that I might pull them from the same box.
Funklub: 11181

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 pm

For Funko it becomes a question of if the number of new people who would be more interested in buying the non-mystery minis (and the number of minis they buy) is larger than the number of minis they sell due to lots of super rare and common minis.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:42 pm

I've always wished for minis to be open. I do agree sales may change, but can use scale and get around ratios sometimes. Funko will eventually lose customers with the unforgiving ratios. Getting rid of 1/6 and making only 1/12 and up ratios is my preference. Keep the rare figs, eliminate 1/6.

RobinBear177

Postby RobinBear177 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I just wish they'd get rid of 1/6 ratios

Zero_Mistro

Postby Zero_Mistro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm

RobinBear177 wrote:I just wish they'd get rid of 1/6 ratios

Yeah, I wish I didn't have so many Leia's and Thanos's

lol lol

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm

I’d be all for this. I’ve never liked the idea of blind bags but always liked the items inside.
Image Image
Courtesies: SPN Sig: ChinoX Team Badges: valorandvellum Team Tardis: hailmary25

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm game to see a test run of windowed minis, potentially with store exclusives...
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

I would be totally game if they were all equal rarity and there were no store exclusives. Store exclusives are interchangeable as 'rare' to me personally. I also wouldnt mind more 3 packs like the recent Godzilla one, or the Bethesda one from that conference (only they would be available at retail). Although that also limits your character selection with only 12 figures, so Id still prefer the mystery aspect to get a wider distribution.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Ya I’m down for this. They don’t have to erase all their blind minis but I think I like this better. Wasn’t there a Batman set of minis like this. Not window box but all one in twelve. Zebra Batman and Midas and those ones?

beachball48

Postby beachball48 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about the window boxes. When I first heard about Mickey I was like "Oooooo, gotta get me some of those." Then once I saw there were window boxes, my mentality instantly changed to "well, there's no rush to locking those down."
I like the mystery element (except 1/6 ratios).

I picked up the Godzilla pack first moment I saw it; but that's b/c there was still a mystery element. I hope they do that more often.

I think there's room in the market for window boxes, mystery boxes, and 3-packs! The more the merrier :D

On a side note, when it came to ratios, The Walking Dead In Memorium was my favourite set. There was only one 1/6 and there were 4 1/72s, which meant that more cases had rare ones!

MONSTER

Postby MONSTER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm going to have a hard time opening them now.

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm happy it's a mini n it's not mystery. But.. It loses the feeling of excitement of opening the box to Know what u gonna get.
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

Raypunz

Postby Raypunz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Honestly my favorite draw to minis is I love the chance of getting something rare. I definitely have bought lines I don’t really collect just for a couple shots at the rare piece. I also still buy basketball cards for a chance st a rare card, despite the fact I don’t really care for sports cards that much.

ISO:Michael Jordan Dribbling Proto! Run DMC urban vinyl production pieces. Also need, color benny the bull
proto.

Hi I'm Ray.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm

I am excited about seeing how the minis work for Mickey since we have the open window packages. Nice since it wont be a pain to complete the whole set, but interested to see how it will play out in the long term and the whole strategy.

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 pm

dexiesmom wrote:I am excited about seeing how the minis work for Mickey since we have the open window packages. Nice since it wont be a pain to complete the whole set, but interested to see how it will play out in the long term and the whole strategy.

They did something similar with the arcade minis. A few variants, but you sort of know what you are getting. Interested at how Mickey turns out.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 pm

FredKruger wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I am excited about seeing how the minis work for Mickey since we have the open window packages. Nice since it wont be a pain to complete the whole set, but interested to see how it will play out in the long term and the whole strategy.

They did something similar with the arcade minis. A few variants, but you sort of know what you are getting. Interested at how Mickey turns out.

Yeah, wondering if there will be any exclusives or anything like that..

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

Geescube wrote:Happy about the move for Mickey. <3

I’m so glad that this set has windows! *happy dance*

I can see Funko doing it every now and again, but not as a regular thing.
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

mactds

Postby mactds » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 am

Pryde72 wrote:
Geescube wrote:Happy about the move for Mickey. <3

I’m so glad that this set has windows! *happy dance*

I can see Funko doing it every now and again, but not as a regular thing.

The Mickey set is so beautiful, each and every one, so I love it too :)
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:25 am

I want them to keep the mystery aspect of mystery minis, so i have to say no to having windowed minis. I am all for eliminating the 1/6 ratio, but keep the rare ratios, they are a reason why collecting them is so fun. The feeling of scoring a 1/72 is so awesome, even more so when you pull it blindly without scaling (I have nothing against scaling by the way).
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

sylin

Postby sylin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 am

Non-mystery minis are a hard pass for me. I like the mystery element, it makes the collecting more fun for me.

Aside from my own personal preference, I'm also against this because I feel that any rare and/or popular characters are going to be quickly be gone, and people will miss out. At least with mystery boxes, there's a fairer chance...even if some people open boxes in stores (ie cheating).

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am

For people like me who can't afford to buy tons of minis only to get duplicates that no one wants, it would be fantastic if they weren't a mystery.

One of the biggest reasons I don't seriously collect them is because of that, and I end up hunting for people's duplicates instead of buying from stores for that reason. Still a few Supernatural minis I can't seem to find and no one seems to have dupes of OR they want to charge a lot more than retail for them.

Once upon a time I'd much rather have a ton of minis than pops, but I'm a huge pop nerd now, and minis won't change, so yeah, haha.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 750ish
Dorbz: 35
Mystery Minis: 33
Sodas: 7
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

LatinFunko

Postby LatinFunko » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 am

Dbratteli wrote:Anyone interested in a shift in selling strategy, for sets with 1/12 only, to make them similar to POPs with a display window so you know what you are getting?

If it means an end of having 5 sets of 1/6 in every case I might be tempted which sucks cause I do love the "Mystery".

Now they just need a test set with something really popular. Like Mickey Mouse or something (oh to dream......) :freddy3:

Totally okay with this. I'd be happy with just everything being 1/12 since I usually just buy a whole case when it comes to lines I like.
OWNER
http://www.thefunexchange.com

IG & Facebook @thefunexchange

Image :wwe5: Image

Fundays 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2022

FDO7 Sacramento | FDO8 San Francisco

Fright Night | HQ Grand Opening | Making Fun Movie Premiere | FunKon

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Wait are these Mickey minis with a window real or people just misunderstanding the OP. Is there a link
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Jezter wrote:For people like me who can't afford to buy tons of minis only to get duplicates that no one wants, it would be fantastic if they weren't a mystery.

One of the biggest reasons I don't seriously collect them is because of that, and I end up hunting for people's duplicates instead of buying from stores for that reason. Still a few Supernatural minis I can't seem to find and no one seems to have dupes of OR they want to charge a lot more than retail for them.

Once upon a time I'd much rather have a ton of minis than pops, but I'm a huge pop nerd now, and minis won't change, so yeah, haha.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I only started collecting minis since the Teen titans set and found out quickly that dupes are no fun.

I'd like to see how the window method turns out. The Mickeys are cute but not for me, but I hope people are happy with the results.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 pm

hailmary25 wrote:Wait are these Mickey minis with a window real or people just misunderstanding the OP. Is there a link

We believed them to be mystery minis, but then a glam imaged released and there is zero mention of mystery mini on the box. They are classified as "Vinyl Figure" only.

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Not mad about this.
2013 NYCC
2014 1st Pop at NYCC
2014 NYCC
2015 NYCC
2016 NYCC
2017 NYCC
2018 NYCC
2018 1st Proto at NYCC Fugitive Party
2019 NY Toy Fair
2019 NYCC
2021 NYCC
2022 SMF1, SMF2 and SMF Soda
2022 NYCC
2022 Fright Night II

http://www.instagram.com/jersey_jorge

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Geescube wrote:
hailmary25 wrote:Wait are these Mickey minis with a window real or people just misunderstanding the OP. Is there a link

We believed them to be mystery minis, but then a glam imaged released and there is zero mention of mystery mini on the box. They are classified as "Vinyl Figure" only.

And my wallet rejoiced!
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:17 am

I definitely have mixed feelings on this subject.

Chaister87

Postby Chaister87 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:22 am

So does the open window concept only for the new Mickey minis or will it stick to all future mystery mini releases?

zwahelian

Postby zwahelian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:33 am

I think it’s a good idea to do a test run of non-mystery minis. As a business Funko finds out if this strategy ends up making them more money or costing them. Personally I would like to see some non-mystery ones every now and then but the majority stay a mystery. Unless Funko discovers that the non-mystery minis turn up to be a huge success, then you may see their business model begin to shift.
IG: funkh0e
Started collecting: July 2016 | Pop! Star Wars: 83 | Pop! Marvel: TBA | Pop! Heroes: 45 | Pop! Rides: 3 | Total Pop!s: 1,000+

Grail: NYCC Qui Gon Jinn, Indy's Ride, Holo Qui Gon, Flocked Wicket

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Chaister87 wrote:So does the open window concept only for the new Mickey minis or will it stick to all future mystery mini releases?

Right now Mickey is the only one we know of that is being released this way.

Chaister87

Postby Chaister87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 am

dexiesmom wrote:
Chaister87 wrote:So does the open window concept only for the new Mickey minis or will it stick to all future mystery mini releases?

Right now Mickey is the only one we know of that is being released this way.

Okie dokie thank you

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 am

Aren't the Five Star figures "sort" of mystery minis with the window? Other than there not being any variations, they do seem to be about the same size and have a similar appearance.

Return to “Blind Bags”