What MM Do You Think Are Most Off/On-Model for Their Original Character?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
dmoss1

What MM Do You Think Are Most Off/On-Model for Their Original Character?

Postby dmoss1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am

Some characters have transferred well into the Mystery Mini format, and some have... not. Which sets and minis do you think worked and which ones didn't in your opinion?

Set that worked: Nick Toons!!

This set is super-vibrant, and the color/paint schemes are immaculate, matching their characters spot-on, in my opinion!

Character that worked: Reptar!!

From his lime-green paint, to his open-mouthed, purple-tongued grin, he looks just like our favorite ice-skating dinosaur!

Character that didn't: Tommy.

I think it's his hair... and the plateau on top of his head, which exists on the show, but not so... protrudingly... (Is that a word? It is now...) And his mouth flaps... Maybe I was just so impressed with his counterpart, Chuckie, that I had super-high expectations for him? At any rate, he's not my favorite...

Honorable mentions: Rocko's Modern Minis

I think these guys all transitioned into the Mini World really smoothly, and I'm hoping against hope that a second series comes out to introduce some of the secondary characters (ie: The Bigheads and Dr. Hutchison).

Now you!

MM1000

Re: What MM Do You Think Are Most Off/On-Model for Their Original Character?

Postby MM1000 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I hate the shredder mini. The rest of the Tmnt set is perfect because it’s from the original cartoon. For some reason they based shredder more on the new nick series. Still bothers me when I look at my set.

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I think the Infinity War series is really hit or miss. Some of them are absolutely perfect, such as Gamora, Captain America, or Black Widow to name a few. And then there are some that I think just look awful, with Corvus Glaive being the biggest offender.

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:21 am

All the Hannah Barbera/Looney Tunes ones were very on-model in my opinion (even if some were very slightly 'chibified'). Agreed on the Nick Toons ones being spot-on too! Dr. Seuss ones were just wonderful too. I give big props to the artists on those lines!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

iAlieee

Postby iAlieee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:19 am

The blocky style of the adventure time ones bother me sometimes, aside from BMO obviously. I love the nick 90s and deadpool ones. Honestly most of them seem pretty good now, they’ve progressed a lot over the years!

ryusilva23

Postby ryusilva23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 am

The WB mystery minis and Nickelodeon MM are some of the best minis I have seen. The Cuphead MM are great as well.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Classier wrote:I think the Infinity War series is really hit or miss. Some of them are absolutely perfect, such as Gamora, Captain America, or Black Widow to name a few. And then there are some that I think just look awful, with Corvus Glaive being the biggest offender.

Vision is awful. The scale is completely different from the other minis. He honestly looks really cheesy, in my opinion, and like he's from a completely different set.

Groot is the best, IMO. The best Groot mystery mini so far, and the best looking in that line. Dr. Strange is a close second for me.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:35 pm

As much as I love Nightmare Before Christmas, I feel like the style of the minis just isn't that great. Some of them (especially from series 1) look downright goofy.

The Horror minis are always pretty consistently good. While I don't collect the Cuphead line, those minis look fantastic. I've considered getting a few just because they look so good, though I've never played the game.

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Set that worked: Horror S2

The set included some more obscure "horror"-ish individuals and it is the first Reis set that I can appreciate for those weirdo looking white large eyes. It totally works for me.

Character that worked: Eric Draven Both Versions

Absolutely stunning. Work of art for regular and guitar. I personally TREASURE the guitar version. Maybe a pop will come one day.

Character that didn't: Werewolf

Aesthetically its fine, ugly but fine. LOL i just hated getting him. Bai bai werewolf.

Honorable mentions: David N00dlez

This minis is also spectacular. Im a huge Kiefer fan and this mini nailed his David character PERFECTLY.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Even though I don’t play, I think the cupheads are amazing and incredibly well done. I also put the LotR set up there in terms of detail, whoever created that set put a lot of time and love into those ones. I also love ST S1, but the scale of Joyce is way off compared to the other adult minis for that set. She is tiny and just an odd fit size wise with the other ones

Brycifer666

Postby Brycifer666 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Classier wrote:I think the Infinity War series is really hit or miss. Some of them are absolutely perfect, such as Gamora, Captain America, or Black Widow to name a few. And then there are some that I think just look awful, with Corvus Glaive being the biggest offender.

I would argue corvus is spot on he looks 1000000 times better than his pop does. Much more accurate to the movie and comics

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 pm

MattyPHATty wrote: I also put the LotR set up there in terms of detail, whoever created that set put a lot of time and love into those ones.

ahh, I can't believe I forgot to mention the LOTR ones when I commented. By far one of my favorite sets ever. I was lucky enough to be able to complete the set, and every single one of them just looks fantastic. Sauron, the Witch King and Lurtz are my favorites from the set.

I hope we see other minis done in that style. It just looks really good.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote: I also put the LotR set up there in terms of detail, whoever created that set put a lot of time and love into those ones.

ahh, I can't believe I forgot to mention the LOTR ones when I commented. By far one of my favorite sets ever. I was lucky enough to be able to complete the set, and every single one of them just looks fantastic. Sauron, the Witch King and Lurtz are my favorites from the set.

Completely agree, the style for these ones was perfect and I hope to see more like them down the road. Witch King and Sauron are a couple of my personal faves as well

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

Completely agree, the style for these ones was perfect and I hope to see more like them down the road. Witch King and Sauron are a couple of my personal faves as well

I honestly wish they'd done the Game of Thrones minis in that style. I think it really lends itself well to more fantasy themed characters.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 am

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

I honestly wish they'd done the Game of Thrones minis in that style. I think it really lends itself well to more fantasy themed characters.

Yeah GoT would look fantastic in this style. Not sure if it’s a factory thing or not but the paint jobs on this style also seems to have less errors and the detail is better than most. It definitely lends itself well to the fantasy genre

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

MattyPHATty wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:Completely agree, the style for these ones was perfect and I hope to see more like them down the road. Witch King and Sauron are a couple of my personal faves as well

Yeah GoT would look fantastic in this style. Not sure if it’s a factory thing or not but the paint jobs on this style also seems to have less errors and the detail is better than most. It definitely lends itself well to the fantasy genre

Yeah, I noticed that the paint is pretty much flawless on these. I've seen a lot of issues with quality lately with minis, between missing parts or shoddy paint. But I haven't had a single problem with any of the LOTR ones.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that the paint is pretty much flawless on these. I've seen a lot of issues with quality lately with minis, between missing parts or shoddy paint. But I haven't had a single problem with any of the LOTR ones.

That was the first thing I noticed when I purchased my first few of these, the paint job was fantastic on them and didn’t seem to have the issues that a lot of the other sets have had. Some of the paint details on these had to be pretty tough, so the fact that there aren’t many if any paint flaws on these is very impressive to say the least.

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:01 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:Even though I don’t play, I think the cupheads are amazing and incredibly well done. I also put the LotR set up there in terms of detail, whoever created that set put a lot of time and love into those ones. I also love ST S1, but the scale of Joyce is way off compared to the other adult minis for that set. She is tiny and just an odd fit size wise with the other ones

Came in to say Joyce! It bothers me that she's so tiny, when I tried to put her next to Will in my display his head is like 2x bigger than hers and he's a little boy!

Other one that was a weird size was Vision from the Avengers Infinity Wars set.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:24 pm

kihou wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:Even though I don’t play, I think the cupheads are amazing and incredibly well done. I also put the LotR set up there in terms of detail, whoever created that set put a lot of time and love into those ones. I also love ST S1, but the scale of Joyce is way off compared to the other adult minis for that set. She is tiny and just an odd fit size wise with the other ones

Came in to say Joyce! It bothers me that she's so tiny, when I tried to put her next to Will in my display his head is like 2x bigger than hers and he's a little boy!

Other one that was a weird size was Vision from the Avengers Infinity Wars set.

I know Winona isn’t very big in real life but I’m certain she was much bigger than the kids were in season 1, which makes her an odd duckling in that set. The mini itself is great, just scale wise is tiny compared to all the adults and teens in the series.

Return to “Blind Bags”