Counterfeit Mystery Minis?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
SaintsRow2008

Counterfeit Mystery Minis?

Postby SaintsRow2008 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pm

I've recently gotten into collecting Mystery Minis, and I'm very interested in buying Abraham Ford and Glenn Rhee from The Walking Dead on eBay, but seeing as how rare they are, anything below 20 dollars seems suspicious to me, which got me thinking -- has anybody here found a bootleg Mystery Mini in the past? I've never heard of that happening before, so I'm curious!

I already know not to buy from listings in China, so I'm probably safe from getting fake Minis either way.
-Austin

1st Pop: Superman
100th Pop: SDCC 2016 Metallic Beerus
200th Pop: Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
300th Pop: Hitoshi Shinso
Latest Pop(s): Oh-Il nam, Gi-hun, Ali, Walter White, Dr. Strange Supreme, and Towelie
Current Pop amount: 387
Rarest Pop(s): The Walking Dead Prison Glenn proto and Tekken King proto
Received 100th Pop on: August 11th, 2016
Received 200th Pop on: March 5th, 2018
Received 300th Pop on April 29th, 2020

HowardTheDuck

Re: Counterfeit Mystery Minis?

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

The only bootlegs I've ever seen are pops but I'm not about to underestimate what folks out here will do for some coin. lol
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Steer clear. Theres lots of In Memorium rare scrappers listed selling from China.

Most times if its too good to be true it probably isnt legit

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:27 pm

^This

And the 2 you listed have been known to have plenty of fakes out there.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

SaintsRow2008

Postby SaintsRow2008 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Geescube wrote:Steer clear. Theres lots of In Memorium rare scrappers listed selling from China.

CaseyJones14 wrote:^This

Aside from pricing, what are some good indicators a listing is legitimate?
-Austin

1st Pop: Superman
100th Pop: SDCC 2016 Metallic Beerus
200th Pop: Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
300th Pop: Hitoshi Shinso
Latest Pop(s): Oh-Il nam, Gi-hun, Ali, Walter White, Dr. Strange Supreme, and Towelie
Current Pop amount: 387
Rarest Pop(s): The Walking Dead Prison Glenn proto and Tekken King proto
Received 100th Pop on: August 11th, 2016
Received 200th Pop on: March 5th, 2018
Received 300th Pop on April 29th, 2020

MyLittleFunkos
HoF 2016 & CotY
HoF 2016 & CotY

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:04 pm

SaintsRow2008 wrote:
Geescube wrote:Steer clear. Theres lots of In Memorium rare scrappers listed selling from China.

CaseyJones14 wrote:^This

Aside from pricing, what are some good indicators a listing is legitimate?

For me, pricing and location are the two biggest indicators. Seldom (and I say seldom because I can't say it never happens) will a person list an older/harder to find/rare mini, or any item for that matter, for less than what it's worth. It seems to be the opposite in most cases. And I won't buy minis from China as I view them as scrappers (pulled out of the factory garbage).
I'm Abe

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:45 pm

I think someone in a Facebook group posted seeing a fake Gold Bender where someone had just repainted a regular Bender.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

M37R01D

Postby M37R01D » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:08 pm

I've only seen people list repaints off as fakes but not 100% kodi offs
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Admin of - Funko NFT Collectors BST, Funko Paka Paka & Snapsies BSTC & Funko Mystery Minis Hunt BSTC on FB

Nooklin

Postby Nooklin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:14 pm

There are a few sellers on eBay that I see that sell scrappers from China. Most scrappers primarily come from China, but occasionally someone in the US will buy a bunch and list them. It is best to deal with someone recommended from a Funko group or from on here. There are trading and selling threads on this site that can help. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

ReggieB78

Postby ReggieB78 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am

I HAVE SEEN FAKE PROTOS FROM CHINA YET THEY HAVE BUYERS IN THE US. THERE IS PROTOS OF ALMOST ALL FUNKO ITEMS BUT LEGIT WAYS OF GETTING IS MAINLY FROM AN EVEN LIKE FUNDAYS, FDO, GEMINI STORE AND A CONTEST IF YOU WON, THEY USUALLY HAVE A NUMBERS OR WORDING UNDER THEIR FOOT . I HAVE SEEN A FEW THAT PEOPLE GOT COA'S WITH THEM, WISH ALL PROTOS HAD COA'S.

AS FAR AS REGULAR OR HARD TO FIND MYSTERY MINIS THERE IS MANY REPAINTING OR PEOPLE THAT KNOW WAYS TO GET THE RAREST ONES EITHER BY A NUMBER ON THE PACKAGE OR THEY CARRY POCKET SCALES.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 am

Start with location, location, location. If you see 'China' probably a scrapper.

Llook at their other sales. If they're listing a huge amount of unboxed Funko product, probably a scrapper.

Look closely at the product itself. If you see paint blemishes or things that look off, probably a scrapper.

Price. Items way below current prices with BIN and free shipping, probably a scrapper.

Scrapper, BTW, is a piece that is flawed or damaged and was meant for the trash heap. Someone pulled it out to sell.
Funklub: 11181

MzTredecim

Postby MzTredecim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 am

Nooklin wrote:There are a few sellers on eBay that I see that sell scrappers from China. Most scrappers primarily come from China, but occasionally someone in the US will buy a bunch and list them. It is best to deal with someone recommended from a Funko group or from on here. There are trading and selling threads on this site that can help. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

That's nice to know. I've been eyeballing a few lots on eBay but now I'll need to pay more attention. Do the scrappers get numbered on their feet
Funko Collector since 2012!
Collections: GITD / TWD / TMNTs / BTTF / Random Eye-Catchers / Mystery Minis & PSHs

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:39 pm

If the price is too big of difference in the secondary market, then is not doubt that is not real and your money will be wasted. But they make them look really very close to the real ones.

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 am

Wow, I didn't even know this was an issue. So from what I've read so far, there aren't counterfeits being made but factory mistakes that are taken from the garbage and resold as legitimate?

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Squird wrote:Start with location, location, location. If you see 'China' probably a scrapper.

Llook at their other sales. If they're listing a huge amount of unboxed Funko product, probably a scrapper.

Look closely at the product itself. If you see paint blemishes or things that look off, probably a scrapper.

Price. Items way below current prices with BIN and free shipping, probably a scrapper.

Scrapper, BTW, is a piece that is flawed or damaged and was meant for the trash heap. Someone pulled it out to sell.

Here's a good example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUNKO-Mystery- ... 2724099428

From China; other items for sale are other loose Funko and toy products; the nose is not colored pink and is missing whisker markings; price is high but still below PPGs. This seller also has an obvious reject one for only $6 in their store, where the flocking looks really rough.

Squird

Postby Squird » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:12 pm

bakivali wrote:
Squird wrote:Start with location, location, location. If you see 'China' probably a scrapper.

Here's a good example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUNKO-Mystery- ... 2724099428

From China; other items for sale are other loose Funko and toy products; the nose is not colored pink and is missing whisker markings; price is high but still below PPGs. This seller also has an obvious reject one for only $6 in their store, where the flocking looks really rough.

Run away!!!!!
Funklub: 11181

vtyu221

Postby vtyu221 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am

Man didnt know this was a thing. would there be other physical indications of fakes such as markings?
Please call me vince :freddy2:

ISO: James Gunn, Duffer Brothers, Director Freddy

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 am

vtyu221 wrote:Man didnt know this was a thing. would there be other physical indications of fakes such as markings?

I believe some of the minis have different markings on their feet. For example, regular Bender has a different number stamped than gold Bender. And if someone just repainted a regular one, they might have covered up the stamp.

Ajo2003

Postby Ajo2003 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Sad but seems to be the case in any hobby. Scammers suck!

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Ajo2003 wrote:Sad but seems to be the case in any hobby. Scammers suck!

Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't been happening more, considering how much some of the really rare minis are going for these days. It might just be they are too hard to replicate efficiently.

vtyu221

Postby vtyu221 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:23 pm

bakivali wrote:
vtyu221 wrote:Man didnt know this was a thing. would there be other physical indications of fakes such as markings?

I believe some of the minis have different markings on their feet. For example, regular Bender has a different number stamped than gold Bender. And if someone just repainted a regular one, they might have covered up the stamp.

Thank you :) it's a bit difficult cause we'll need to know the markings of the other variants though.
Please call me vince :freddy2:

ISO: James Gunn, Duffer Brothers, Director Freddy

magicalme

Postby magicalme » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Wow, didn’t know that. No wonder the values have plummeted on this set! Luckily I got them all when the aetbwas first released! One of my faves!
http://www.instagram.com/magicalme359

GRAIL ISO:
OG Cereal Monsters

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 pm

I tend to look for location, price, previous listings, multiple listings using the same/stock picture, and feedback. I normally don't run into those issues but when I do its the list I go down

Kaosu

Postby Kaosu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Ive never heard about fakes being made of them
Hello!! My name is Jonathan
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm

vtyu221 wrote:
bakivali wrote:

Thank you :) it's a bit difficult cause we'll need to know the markings of the other variants though.

Yeah, unless you know someone who has a legit one, or can ask on the boards here or Facebook groups.

Batz31

Postby Batz31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 pm

It blows that now you don't get scammed buying minis.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:01 am

I bought a original Marvel Phoenix mini from ebay, didn't notice it was from China. Was clear it was a scap mini, the spring was all wrong. I got my money back.
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

First: Soldier 76
Favorite: Headless Ned Stark
Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot
ISO: Metallic Thing; Metallic Genie; Metallic (SDCC) Captain America

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 am

I have heard of it. I have some of the older Hello Kitty blind boxes and they are known to be faked a lot.

Return to “Blind Bags”