So is that it for the keychain blind bags?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
sylin

So is that it for the keychain blind bags?

Postby sylin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Aside from the Deadpool set, I haven't seen any others announced.

It's a shame. I thought there was potential in these, and I liked to see them expand. I am a huge fan of keychains so I was looking forward to more.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: So is that it for the keychain blind bags?

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Lots of stuff has been released lately without an announcement so I wouldn't give up hope yet.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

sylin

Postby sylin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Lots of stuff has been released lately without an announcement so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

That's true. I guess I'll keep crossing my fingers.

I was also wondering if Funko/the fans would accept these blind bag keychains more if they were in the style of the mystery minis/Five Star figurines, with a different mold to the typical Pocket Pops. Food for thought, I guess.

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

QC was often horrendous, and they sold very poorly, even when on Clearance at GameStop.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 am

Gothamite wrote:QC was often horrendous, and they sold very poorly, even when on Clearance at GameStop.

I agree. A lot of times the pocket pop would just disconnect from the keychain piece almost instantly from the keychain. It would disappointment me but I would be too nervous to put it on a backback or something in case the keychain pop got lost,

sylin

Postby sylin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 am

Gothamite wrote:QC was often horrendous, and they sold very poorly, even when on Clearance at GameStop.

I'd like to think the quality control could improve with more lines produced. The first ones seemed to be testing the waters, and had a lot of repeats of previous Pocket Pop keychains.

As for selling poorly, I bought most of mine through Wal*Marts, and they seemed to sell well enough there at the very least. The cases ended up empty within a few weeks.

If they don't produce any more, I'll probably miss the line. I wish they'd tried this with different molds, maybe that could've helped more.

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:12 pm

sylin wrote:As for selling poorly, I bought most of mine through Wal*Marts, and they seemed to sell well enough there at the very least. The cases ended up empty within a few weeks.

Knowing Walmart and its customers, it's just as likely that the keychains were either opened by little kids or outright stolen. This happened frequently with Mystery Minis and Pint Size Heroes, too. Walmart was making a very aggressive push with Funko products in 2016 and 2017, but after the 2017 holiday season, there are very few Funko products on Walmart's shelves now.

ericj

Postby ericj » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:06 pm

They really didn't seem popular. My GS had the HP set on clearance for ages, I think it even got to 3 for the price of 1 and it wasn't selling. Seems like poor indication for their future.

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:14 pm

I feel like it conflicts with the keychains they offer already where you can see who you're getting.

Ajo2003

Postby Ajo2003 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Quality control seemed to be the biggest problem with these. But still cool idea.

sylin

Postby sylin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:16 am

bakivali wrote:I feel like it conflicts with the keychains they offer already where you can see who you're getting.

Yeah, that's a part of the problem. The Disney and Marvel sets had duplicate characters that you could already buy in an open window. Should've all been new. Or maybe used newer molds instead of the Pocket Pop ones.

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 pm

sylin wrote:
bakivali wrote:I feel like it conflicts with the keychains they offer already where you can see who you're getting.

Yeah, that's a part of the problem. The Disney and Marvel sets had duplicate characters that you could already buy in an open window. Should've all been new. Or maybe used newer molds instead of the Pocket Pop ones.

Exactly. Most people don't want to mess around with blind bags if they have the choice to get one they want in the open. And the prices were not different enough to warrant taking a chance. Combine that with the ratio issues where there were several dupes to a box, and a non-blind bag fan would probably immediately bail and just buy the ones they know they want.

Return to “Blind Bags”