What's your style to complete sets?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
jagpop

What's your style to complete sets?

Postby jagpop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:31 pm

When you go to complete a set of mystery minis, what approach do you take? Do you:

1. Buy a case/s in hopes to complete your set?
2. Buy the set from a reseller?
3. Trade dupes?
4. Combination of 1,2,3?

With the Batman Arkham Series I went with a little of both. I got a few cases/single boxes and ended up buying the missing pieces from eBay. With the recent Ad Icons, I went the route of purchasing individuals or lots. I figured it would be the most cost effective method for me. Although, I might end up buying a box or two just for the thrill... lol

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

billydarector

Re: What's your style to complete sets?

Postby billydarector » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Depends on ratios of case i.e. if it's a 1/12, then I'd get a whole box. For hard cases like HT with exclusives and high ratio ones, I try to field the rares first as much as possible and then will trade/buy 1/6 commons later on when they go for less than retail... #mystyle
ISO: Rare Mystery Minis, Retro Freddys
Over 1200 Mystery Minis and growing
Image Image

:freddy3:

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 pm

billydarector wrote:Depends on ratios of case i.e. if it's a 1/12, then I'd get a whole box. For hard cases like HT with exclusives and high ratio ones, I try to field the rares first as much as possible and then will trade/buy 1/6 commons later on when they go for less than retail... #mystyle

That's true, when there are company exclusives like Walgreens, it gets tougher. I had to wait a while to get the Batman Walgreen ones. Eventually they dropped in price into my wheelhouse.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I dont collect too many minis so my approach is to buy them separately.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 pm

joecolt wrote:I dont collect too many minis so my approach is to buy them separately.

Makes sense. If I don't go for a full set, and the ones I want are 1/6 or similar, I like going that route solely. Have you ever lucked out with the exact ones being sold as a lot?

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:11 pm

I try a combo of all but have yet to complete a full set. I’m too random and all over the place. Need to focus on one at a time.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

divade23 wrote:I try a combo of all but have yet to complete a full set. I’m too random and all over the place. Need to focus on one at a time.

I know the feeling. With so many lines, sometimes it's hard to complete a full set. I only have a couple and the others I just got distracted...lol

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm

jagpop wrote:When you go to complete a set of mystery minis, what approach do you take? Do you:

3. Trade dupes?
4. Combination of 1,2,3?

With the Batman Arkham Series I went with a little of both. I got a few cases/single boxes and ended up buying the missing pieces from eBay. With the recent Ad Icons, I went the route of purchasing individuals or lots. I figured it would be the most cost effective method for me. Although, I might end up buying a box or two just for the thrill... lol

Definitely a combination of all 3, especially on the sets with several different store exclusives!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

keyese

Postby keyese » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:12 pm

My usual tactic was buy one full case from somewhere (depending on series, 1/6s, exclusive stores, etc), then try to hunt for the rest. Then trade if needed, and buy any remaining ones. Now I don't have as much time to hunt, so I usually just preorder a case then buy the remaining ones. I also haven't been as hyperfocused on finishing sets lately. I guess having an 8 month old will do that lol
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm

kihou wrote:My usual tactic was buy one full case from somewhere (depending on series, 1/6s, exclusive stores, etc), then try to hunt for the rest. Then trade if needed, and buy any remaining ones. Now I don't have as much time to hunt, so I usually just preorder a case then buy the remaining ones. I also haven't been as hyperfocused on finishing sets lately. I guess having an 8 month old will do that lol

That's a good way to approach it. Then if you get lucky and get a 1:72, that worry is out of the way. Plus, the excitement of opening up 12 boxes. That's always fun.

L3g3nD33

Postby L3g3nD33 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Hunt for rares first (especially if store EX), then trade/buy lower ratios.
Collecting Funko since 2016
Funko Fundays 2018, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright Night 2022
Funatics Day Out 9
San Diego Comic-Con 2019, 2022, 2023, 2024
New York Comic Con 2021, 2022, 2023

Image Image Image Image Image

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:14 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:
jagpop wrote:When you go to complete a set of mystery minis, what approach do you take? Do you:

3. Trade dupes?
4. Combination of 1,2,3?

Definitely a combination of all 3, especially on the sets with several different store exclusives!

Those store exclusives are killer at times. I remember having a relatively hard time completing my Arkham set because of those Walgreen exclusives.

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 pm

divade23 wrote:I try a combo of all but have yet to complete a full set. I’m too random and all over the place. Need to focus on one at a time.

it meeeee lol lol lol

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Mine is going for a full case first, then it varies from there. If the exclusives are easy to get, then I would probably lean towards online purchase. If the exlcusives are hard to get or there are many, I will try to hunt them down first and then resort to online when I get tired/desperate. On rare occasions if the odds are really good I will buy two cases (like Ad Icons).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Patience is key to maximizing a full wallet lol I wait it out and slowly piece it together. Expensive ones first and less expensive ones later.
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 am

3. Trade dupes?
4. Combination of 1,2,3?

I tend to go hardcore at a set initially - if I can find a full case, that makes it easier to figure out if there's a layout, or similar weights for the 1/6. I buy in store, and go on quests to multiple locations if need be. All of my friends know that they're in for a day of driving and adventures if we're questing! Then if I get lucky, I either trade or resell my duplicates. And yes - patience is needed! Was able to get my Ragnarok Fenrir after the craziness died down for a decent price. I tend to compare the secondary market prices as a trade off against what I'd spend in gas money questing!
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:53 am

jagpop wrote:

I know the feeling. With so many lines, sometimes it's hard to complete a full set. I only have a couple and the others I just got distracted...lol

It's so much easier when there's just one set going at a time! This year is the first year I've had multiples going for most of the year, and it's not only expensive, but stressful! Funko just keeps putting out great stuff though!
Image ImageImage Image

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:36 am

I'm so incredibly impatient when it comes to completing a Mystery Mini set...and anything else, really lol It's bad. I usually take my chances and buy a few from retailers and then buy what I need online. I really should incorporate trading into that routine :D
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 am

sadly, i turn to ebay all the time. its just become easier and less of a pain for me.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:37 am

mongoose12 wrote:sadly, i turn to ebay all the time. its just become easier and less of a pain for me.

This is true. For the Ad Icons there were some bargains. I saw a few lots that came out to $4-5 per mini.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm

jagpop wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:sadly, i turn to ebay all the time. its just become easier and less of a pain for me.

This is true. For the Ad Icons there were some bargains. I saw a few lots that came out to $4-5 per mini.

hunting has gotten harder for me...having a kid etc. not making excuses lol just realizing that i don't have time and i can just buy the merch.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
jagpop wrote:

hunting has gotten harder for me...having a kid etc. not making excuses lol just realizing that i don't have time and i can just buy the merch.

I call it being efficient...lol

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
jagpop wrote:

Yep, I'm the same way now! It's harder to drive all over town to hunt when you have to lug an 18lb toddler (who is usually NOT interested) in and out of stores lol
ISO Mystery Minis!
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

keyese

Postby keyese » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:04 pm

jagpop wrote:
kihou wrote:My usual tactic was buy one full case from somewhere (depending on series, 1/6s, exclusive stores, etc), then try to hunt for the rest. Then trade if needed, and buy any remaining ones. Now I don't have as much time to hunt, so I usually just preorder a case then buy the remaining ones. I also haven't been as hyperfocused on finishing sets lately. I guess having an 8 month old will do that lol

That's a good way to approach it. Then if you get lucky and get a 1:72, that worry is out of the way. Plus, the excitement of opening up 12 boxes. That's always fun.

It is pretty fun to get the box in the mail :) It's also helpful for weights and layouts, because it can help you know the info before going to hunt (if you can manage to get the box before other stores get theirs).
ISO Mystery Minis!

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm

kihou wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
jagpop wrote:This is true. For the Ad Icons there were some bargains. I saw a few lots that came out to $4-5 per mini.

Yep, I'm the same way now! It's harder to drive all over town to hunt when you have to lug an 18lb toddler (who is usually NOT interested) in and out of stores lol

Exactly! I tried it a few times...just isn't the same... must faster when it was me riding solo lol. Not complaining really, my son is best bud.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm

kihou wrote:
jagpop wrote:

It is pretty fun to get the box in the mail :) It's also helpful for weights and layouts, because it can help you know the info before going to hunt (if you can manage to get the box before other stores get theirs).

That's a good idea. Weighing your fresh box for future reference. Nice!

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 am

I do my best to get as many for retail as I can, and then just hit ebay for the ones I’m missing.

At the end of the day, it’s just a lot easier and sometimes cheaper
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 am

Pryde72 wrote:I do my best to get as many for retail as I can, and then just hit ebay for the ones I’m missing.

Good approach. Buying boxes and hoping for the best is fun but sometimes not the most economical way to go.

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am

jagpop wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:I do my best to get as many for retail as I can, and then just hit ebay for the ones I’m missing.

Good approach. Buying boxes and hoping for the best is fun but sometimes not the most economical way to go.

Exactly right. There comes a point where you have to try and balance the time spent and the number of dupes you get, verse “screw it, this is easier”
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:24 pm

jagpop wrote:
kihou wrote:
jagpop wrote:That's a good way to approach it. Then if you get lucky and get a 1:72, that worry is out of the way. Plus, the excitement of opening up 12 boxes. That's always fun.

That's a good idea. Weighing your fresh box for future reference. Nice!

I could definitely see that approach being beneficial.
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

A-Okay

Postby A-Okay » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 am

I usually only collect the Minis that I like from sets.. I dont feel the need to have to complete the whole set.. it gets really expensive lol
Hi, I'm Kelly!
I collect Pop!, Dorbz, PSH, Hikari, Bimtoy's Tiny Ghost/Chanpu Chanpu, and anything Freddy Funko
I hunt and collect with my boys
Maui Zaui all day long!!!

Image Image
ImageImage

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm

A-Okay wrote:I usually only collect the Minis that I like from sets.. I dont feel the need to have to complete the whole set.. it gets really expensive lol

It can get expensive, especially with the lower count ones. But they display so well, especially if they have a Pop/Dorbz counterpart.

A-Okay

Postby A-Okay » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 pm

jagpop wrote:
A-Okay wrote:I usually only collect the Minis that I like from sets.. I dont feel the need to have to complete the whole set.. it gets really expensive lol

It can get expensive, especially with the lower count ones. But they display so well, especially if they have a Pop/Dorbz counterpart.

Oh yeah..I bet!! :)
Hi, I'm Kelly!
I collect Pop!, Dorbz, PSH, Hikari, Bimtoy's Tiny Ghost/Chanpu Chanpu, and anything Freddy Funko
I hunt and collect with my boys
Maui Zaui all day long!!!

Image Image
ImageImage

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:58 am

I will say trade the dups and get the couple of last one's from a reseller.

franzsy0519

Postby franzsy0519 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:43 pm

Depends on the ratios. I probably wouldn't buy a case if the set had four 1/6 minis.

If a set has varied items in a case (say, only two 1/6), I would take 1 case at least. Then just fill out the missing ones from resellers or by lucky pulls.
Funko Funatic Philippines since Oct. 2013 \:D/

doctony

Postby doctony » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:17 am

I just look for each one!

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Option 4 for me. It's tough completing sets though lol
:freddy2:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 pm

For me I usually shoot for certain ones from a set. I haven’t went for a whole set since BvS. Thankfully my local scene knows I want certain ones and when they get multiples they shoot me a message.

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:45 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:For me I usually shoot for certain ones from a set. I haven’t went for a whole set since BvS. Thankfully my local scene knows I want certain ones and when they get multiples they shoot me a message.

Great to have someone helping you to complete the set. =D>

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:For me I usually shoot for certain ones from a set. I haven’t went for a whole set since BvS. Thankfully my local scene knows I want certain ones and when they get multiples they shoot me a message.

This definitely helps out a lot. It's always nice helping someone complete a set. That BvS was a good one to complete.

Return to “Blind Bags”