The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Re: The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

Postby toro423 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Also, not sure if many are aware of this, but Darth Vader's, Yoda's, and Obi's lightsabers glow. Not sure about the others w/lightsabers because I dont have them
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

Silvergould

Postby Silvergould » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:05 pm

I would say emperor glows good, or at least in my collection her is better than la muerte :)

Devi8or

Postby Devi8or » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Cool seeing this thread, I love the GITD Pops myself as well. So far I have the following

Adipose
Frankenstein
Antman
Hulk

I think that's it, but can't remember as we're in the middle of a move ad they are boxed up for the most part lol

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Seeing this thread makes me want to go through my closet and set free my gitd pops. Off the top of my head I have :

Freddy deathstroke
Spider-Man
Ghost Rider
Deadpool (red)
Cap Winter Soldier
DJ Lance Rock
Ant-Man
Hulk
Baymax
Thanos
Goku
Electro
Dr. Manhattan
Groot
Darkseid
Vault boy
White lantern batman
White lantern flash
Jesse pinkman
Walter White
The Emperor
Skeletor
LA Muerte

Which is more than I thought, but I think that's all of them.
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I must be the only person in the world that hates unnecessary variants. making a character glow that has no business to glow bugs me just as much as those clear variants of characters that can't turn invisible :p

Sir Real

Postby Sir Real » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

There was also a GITD TWD 3-pack of Michonne and her pet zombies.

cameron9501

Postby cameron9501 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:30 pm

i forgot, also the kamikaze storm and the adcc princess bubblegum glow great also
most wanted pops: mad hatter,mayor,belle,two face,boo and winnie the pooh.
pops in collection:347 pops

kiptrip

Postby kiptrip » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 am

oooh I love this thread!
ISO: Chase Error Batman, Walmart Toothless, HT Thor with Helmet, Metallic Nightwing, Glitter Celestia, Glitter Luna, MM Blue Trixie, MM Santa Jack

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:28 am

Mr Yac wrote:I must be the only person in the world that hates unnecessary variants. making a character glow that has no business to glow bugs me just as much as those clear variants of characters that can't turn invisible :p

i feel you on this. but for some reason i just love glow in the dark!

How is the glow on Holo Yoda? or shall i say...how is the Glow-da?
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks all, I added the latest info to the list :-)

FunkoNinja wrote:I saw a review on YouTube about the new HT exclusive Pumpkin King Jack and apparently, it is a bad glower. Hope it was just a bad Pop! and maybe another reviewer might have a better experience.

pop_jumper gave it a thumb's up but I suspect by looking at the photos that it has glow paint on it and is not molded in glow vinyl, and pretty much all my Pops with glow paint on them don't glow nearly as well as the ones with glow vinyl.

Tmwnn wrote:I pretty much got into Funko because of the glow in the dark figures, so I love this thread. I think it might also be helpful if you list what color each figure glows

Thank you, and yes I love that idea! I added your color comments to the list. I'll have to depend on y'all for color info because I'm colorblind! Greens and purples are particularly difficult for me.

Hulk and pocket hulk: glow green, whole body

I added your other info to the list, but can you let me know if you think Hulk belongs on the "good" or "bad" list and I'll add him?

toro423 wrote:Also, not sure if many are aware of this, but Darth Vader's, Yoda's, and Obi's lightsabers glow. Not sure about the others w/lightsabers because I dont have them

Are you talking about on the regular versions of the Pop's? Interesting.

slim1977 wrote:Seeing this thread makes me want to go through my closet and set free my gitd pops. Off the top of my head I have :

Impressive collection! That Freddy alone is worth more than my entire GITD collection, a lot more lol

Sir Real wrote:There was also a GITD TWD 3-pack of Michonne and her pet zombies.

I have those, Michonne is spattered with "mud" and the two zombies are spattered with GITD paint. The spatters are really tiny though, when I looked at them I doubted they would show up at all. I'll have to put them under the black light and see.

xmaldigolax wrote:How is the glow on Holo Yoda? or shall i say...how is the Glow-da?

No one has reported yet on that one. I have one on the way from Popcultcha so if someone else doesn't get to it first I will as soon as it arrives.

Update on my bat cases- I wired one up with the strip LED last night, mounted it to the wall and it looks AWESOME! I found a piece of plastic trim at Home Depot that was perfect for mounting the strip to, it angles the strip inward at about a 45 degree angle which helps the strip to light the Pops better and also hides the strip so you're not blinded by LEDs when looking at the case. I have a 2nd case that I will be hanging above the first, now that I know the setup works I'll take pics when I set the 2nd one up and describe what components I used and where to get them. Here's a pic, my phone overexposed the Pops so the colors are all washed out. I'll get better pics after the 2nd case is up. PS- if you're wondering why I have bird houses in my bathroom, they were craft projects my kids did and gave to me lol

image.jpg

Can anyone comment on the Uglydoll GITD Pops? I'm guessing they're painted and therefore probably poor glowers. One of them is black and I just can't imagine a black Pop glowing worth a darn, but you never know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:28 am

treswright wrote: I added your other info to the list, but can you let me know if you think Hulk belongs on the "good" or "bad" list and I'll add him?

Both the full sized and pocket Hulks have a nice, soft, green glow. I'd say it's a good glow overall. If I can remember correctly, the body and face glow, but I don't think the hair does.

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Here are some more I took yesterday. Again, under blacklight for a few seconds and taken with an iphone. I need a better camera.

(Storm and Pumpking king had the best glows, La murte and Frankenstein the worst)
HT Pumpking King, HT Lumiere, HT Bride of Frankenstein
Bloody Billy (Saw), Bloody Deadite, HT Frankenstein
HT Storm, HT Crow, HT La Murte

(Best glows are Baymax and Sea Creature, worst were Goliath and Slimmer)
CA3 Cpt. America, Holo Darth Vader, Holo Emperor
Baymax, HT Goliath, Stay Puft
Yellow Jacket, Slimmer, Sea Creature
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:49 am

treswright wrote:Thanks all, I added the latest info to the list :-)

FunkoNinja wrote:I saw a review on YouTube about the new HT exclusive Pumpkin King Jack and apparently, it is a bad glower. Hope it was just a bad Pop! and maybe another reviewer might have a better experience.

pop_jumper gave it a thumb's up but I suspect by looking at the photos that it has glow paint on it and is not molded in glow vinyl, and pretty much all my Pops with glow paint on them don't glow nearly as well as the ones with glow vinyl.

Wrong, it is indeed molded from a glowy vinyl!
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:52 am

toro423 wrote:(Best glows are Baymax and Sea Creature, worst were Goliath and Slimmer)
CA3 Cpt. America, Holo Darth Vader, Holo Emperor
Baymax, HT Goliath, Stay Puft
Yellow Jacket, Slimmer, Sea Creature

It's a shame Slimer doesn't glow better. He glows in the movie for goodness sake!
Last edited by pop_jumper on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

itsabecka

Postby itsabecka » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:15 am

i wish my Goliath glowed longer he doesn't last too long just got the sdcc cheshire cat mini today hes so cool but my phone doesn't pick up the glow =/
ItsABecka

Started: April 2012
First Pop!:Avengers Iron Man and Grunt
Pop! count:361
Favorite Series: The Hobbit
Currently Want: Hot topic exclusive Legolas, Chase Ariel dorbz

JsinLegacy

Postby JsinLegacy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:18 am

Am I the only one who is still bummed that Thanos doesn't glow purple ... its such a shame

Top ISO
1. Apollo Freddy 2. 18" Retro Freddy Skeletor 3. Retro Freddy Skeletor

Instagram : JsinLegacy

Team BACON

big_pun_209

Postby big_pun_209 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:25 am

Got my Creature yesterday and this guy is awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AKA: Rob
Image Image

Viva La Rev!!

asilentliaison

Postby asilentliaison » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Pumpkin Jack's glow is perfect!

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Glad to hear good comments about Pumpkin King since I just bought one about an hour ago :-)

Itsabecka- where did you find the Cheshire mini? My gf will want that one!

Js- right there with you, a purple glow would have looked awesome with the other colors!

Cool pics Ed, thanks!

Rob, congrats! Creature is still my favorite glow Pop and one of my favorite Pops overall too!

Alex asked about Spirit Yoda earlier, I finally got my Popcultcha order with him and the Emperor, I quickly tossed Yoda in the case and took a pic before I left. His glow looks about the same as Catbug, not as bright as the others but still pretty good and a nice color. Tonight I'll charge them up and shut off the light and take a comparison photo.

image.jpg

zOnesTarX

Postby zOnesTarX » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Vader is awesome!
Hi! I'm Sean! IG = Vi_King500

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Is Vader the same vinyl as the Emperor?

Here's the promised light on versus light off comparison. I'm disappointed in Pumpkin Jack, he has no glow under black light. When it's turned off he does glow but it's very faint. I think on his own he'd look ok, but he's too anemic when surrounded by the others. That aside he is a very cool Pop! Great detail and looks really interesting.

Also the photos don't show it well, but Adipose's hands and feet are blue under black light (body is green) but glow green the same as his body with the light off. Same with Vault Boy, he has a green head and blueish body under black light but all green with light off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

itsabecka

Postby itsabecka » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 pm

treswright - the Cheshire mini is from the sdcc 2014 mystery minis i bought a case from some one and got him from there some how i got one of each in the box which was super exciting
ItsABecka

Started: April 2012
First Pop!:Avengers Iron Man and Grunt
Pop! count:361
Favorite Series: The Hobbit
Currently Want: Hot topic exclusive Legolas, Chase Ariel dorbz

treswright

Postby treswright » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the info! I thought it was a new release, they've come out with some cool minis lately like the gitd Jack/ Sally/ Oogie set!

treswright

Postby treswright » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:55 pm

This is going to be my how-to post on the bat case, I'm going to upload the pics from my phone first and then switch to my laptop to type the info.

So much for that, my laptop is hosed. I'll try from my phone:

The case is a baseball bat display case from Michael's. It is totally painted in black and has a velvety lining in the back. The door is hinged and held closed by several magnets. It's a nice, sturdy, attractive case. I bought two during a BOGOF sale. One is in my bedroom per the earlier photos. The bat supports in the case are inserts that just slide out. There's a cup for a baseball at one end, I just pulled it out by hand and cleaned off the glue residue it left behind.

image.jpg

This is a picture of the plastic trim I used for the led strips. It's some kind of window trim I got at Home Depot, it was in the lumber section. It's in 6' lengths.

image.jpg

This is the info for the LED strip. Cheaper ones can be found on eBay and Amazon, but sometimes they are just purple led's and not uv even though they may be advertised as uv. This company on the other hand is very reputable, so even though the strips cost more they are bright and definitely uv.

image.jpg

The led strips can be cut to length. There is a cut mark shown every 3rd led. To fit the case I had to cut 3 led's off. I then removed the adhesive backing and stuck the strip to the trim. You could just stick the strips directly to the bottom of the case, but this tilts the led's in a bit so they shine on the Pops better and also so you don't get blinded by them when looking into the case.

image.jpg

I then attached the trim to the case using 3 small dabs of hot glue- one in the middle and one at each end.

image.jpg

I drilled a hole at the back of the case to route the wiring out. The wiring is white, so I installed black shrink wrap on it to help hide it in the case.

image.jpg

Connect your transformer and you're done. Here is the case in its new home in the hobby room where my gf is keeping her Pop collection. We have the two display cases connected to a remote controlled switch (you can get them at Walmart, Lowes or HD) so that the lights can be turned on and off from a remote.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 pm

Added Emperor Palpetine and Dr. Manhattan to the case. Both glow well, not super bright but a nice soft glow similar to Yoda and Catbug (I think the Emperor is the exact same vinyl as Yoda).

image.jpg

Neu_Funko

Postby Neu_Funko » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:41 pm

That looks fantastic tres. Very Cool

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 am

Finally got around to checking out the glow on my Freddy Bank. For an older piece it still has a great glow to it.

Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks Neu_Funko, I appreciate it! :-)

Clash, that's a cool one!

So in the "new glowy news" department, there's a GITD Gir that's starting to show up in Hot Topics on the west coast! It's also up on Popcultcha.

Looks like it's molded in GITD plastic so it should be a good glower!

I also ran across an older thread where someone posted some comparison shots of different glow Pops and rated them, pretty handy reference since all the photos were taken at the same exposure:

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=52518

BlueberryWaffles

Postby BlueberryWaffles » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:11 am

Is GITD Stay Puft considered bad? I have one and he glows very brightly.
Total Pop count: 60
First Pop: Green Lantern
Most recent Pop: BB-8
Grail: SDCC 2014 exploding Stay Puft (GITD version)

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 am

Does anybody have Lo Pan? He looks like he would glow blue, but I can never be sure.

big_pun_209

Postby big_pun_209 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Tmwnn wrote:Does anybody have Lo Pan? He looks like he would glow blue, but I can never be sure.

You know I don't see too many people posting that one. I had it on pre-order on EE but ended up cancelling it and just haven't got around to getting that one. I still want it, I love Big Trouble in Little China, but haven't bought any of the pops yet. I wonder how he good he glows.... they should have called that one gLOw Pan. lol
AKA: Rob
Image Image

Viva La Rev!!

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:55 pm

BlueberryWaffles wrote:Is GITD Stay Puft considered bad? I have one and he glows very brightly.

Well it's really personal perception, I was disappointed with mine (the white version) but someone else may love it. Mine doesn't glow at all under black light, it just looks like it has a purple light shining on it. When the light is off it does glow, but not as brightly as the others. I think it's because it's painted rather than molded in GITD vinyl. All the ones I have that are painted GITD don't shine as well and the glow looks "splotchy'. The ones that are molded in GITD really fire up under black light and have a nice, even glow with the light off.

Based on comments I've read it sounds like the pink marshmallow dude glows a lot better. I don't have one unfortunately.

Let me know if you have the pink or white version and I'll add it to the "good glow" category :-)

SpilledBees

Postby SpilledBees » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 am

big_pun_209 wrote:
Tmwnn wrote:Does anybody have Lo Pan? He looks like he would glow blue, but I can never be sure.

You know I don't see too many people posting that one. I had it on pre-order on EE but ended up cancelling it and just haven't got around to getting that one. I still want it, I love Big Trouble in Little China, but haven't bought any of the pops yet. I wonder how he good he glows.... they should have called that one gLOw Pan. lol

I preordered one AGES ago, it keeps getting delayed! :( If it weren't going to be a gift for my boyfriend, an in-boxer, I'd just say hang the sticker and order it from Popcultcha. It's slated for December now. If it ever arrives I'll definitely let you guys know.

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Added Princess Bubblegum to the collection. Just her hair glows, but there's a lot of it and it glows so bright that it lights the rest of her.

image.jpg

image.jpg

zOnesTarX

Postby zOnesTarX » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:06 pm

well gir looks good
Hi! I'm Sean! IG = Vi_King500

Sharonapple2

Postby Sharonapple2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Does anybody have Lo Pan? He looks like he would glow blue, but I can never be sure.

I've got the Glow Lo Pan. He's a nice figure. He has a blue glow -- face and hands.

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:03 pm

treswright wrote:Added Princess Bubblegum to the collection. Just her hair glows, but there's a lot of it and it glows so bright that it lights the rest of her.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You've inspired me to build my own blacklight box now. Is it just me, or does Princess Bubblegum's hair glow yellow?

Sharonapple2 wrote:I've got the Glow Lo Pan. He's a nice figure. He has a blue glow -- face and hands.

Awesome, thanks for the info

swind15

Postby swind15 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:54 am

Picked up the Hot Topic exclusive Pumpkin King today and mine glows pretty well being charged only for a few seconds under a light bulb.
Still for me, the worst glowing Pop is hands down the Hot Topic exclusive Frankenstein.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

missauru

Postby missauru » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:18 am

Awesome thread, love your pics guys :)
I need a blacklight so I can take some glowy pics too!!
Gamer.Wife.Mom.OOB.TeamBacon.Missa
Image Image
MHA pops I will continue to pray for: Shouto Todoroki, Denki Kaminari, & Eijirou Kirishima

Neu_Funko

Postby Neu_Funko » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Is there a way to determine in box if a GITD POP is just painted with reactive materials or if it is molded in GITD plastic?

Return to “Pop!”