The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
treswright

Re: The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 am

Sean, Gir is definitely on my shortlist!

Tmwnn, awesome, then my work here is done :-D Under blacklight Princess's hair glows pink, when the light is off it glows orange. She's a great glowy Pop!

Swind15, I'll add your comments to the list. Totally agree with you on Frankie, very disppointing. Bride is bad too.

Missa, thanks! Please post pics when you get a light :-)

Neu, there really isn't a way, that's one of the reasons I started this thread, so we could share info on that. Sometimes it's hard to tell even when you have the Pop in your hand, I am still not sure if Pumpkin Jack is painted or molded gitd.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 pm

that baseball bat case is genius! and the lights make it just like ridiculously awesome. very jealous!

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks Joe :-) I do need to give credit where credit is due though, I borrowed the idea from the "Your display, the Funko way!" thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28313

Samuel (Peachtree) posted several pics of his Pops in bat cases such as this one:

And then rolltide2014 posted pics of his case lined with UV LED's:

I love that thread, lots of really inspiring display ideas there!

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:43 pm

man everyones displays and collections are just amazing on here, yeah tres (sorry dont know what you go by!) ive been going through the your display funko way thread and im on page 124 just admiring all these collections

itsabecka

Postby itsabecka » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:56 pm

cameron9501 wrote:electro also glows very well

i was just gonna post this i found one at movie stop yesterday and his glow is amazing!
ItsABecka

Started: April 2012
First Pop!:Avengers Iron Man and Grunt
Pop! count:361
Favorite Series: The Hobbit
Currently Want: Hot topic exclusive Legolas, Chase Ariel dorbz

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:33 pm

didnt know where to post this so sorry if wrong spot but Michaels has a coupon for 40% one regular priced item until 9/12 and it applies to this bat case code: SEPTFALL15

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 pm

JoeCoolTM wrote:man everyones displays and collections are just amazing on here, yeah tres (sorry dont know what you go by!) ive been going through the your display funko way thread and im on page 124 just admiring all these collections

You got it right, that's my nickname :-) That thread is awesome, glad you're enjoying it! It made me realize how much more attractive a Pop collection can be when displayed properly. I just finished a Walking Dead diorama that I created a different thread for, I've got two of these UV lit bat cases and 2 Ikea Detolf cases with LED lighting that I'm currently building risers for. My goal is to get all my Pops out on display, but at the rate I'm buying them I'm not sure I can keep up lol

itsabecka

Postby itsabecka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Just got my Yoda today his glow is amazing
ItsABecka

Started: April 2012
First Pop!:Avengers Iron Man and Grunt
Pop! count:361
Favorite Series: The Hobbit
Currently Want: Hot topic exclusive Legolas, Chase Ariel dorbz

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:15 pm

treswright wrote:Tmwnn, awesome, then my work here is done :-D Under blacklight Princess's hair glows pink, when the light is off it glows orange. She's a great glowy Pop!.

Awesome, thanks. I noticed she takes a lot of light (incandescent), but has a neat glow once I get her charged.

I also got a GITD Creature Pop!. He glows well, but BMO still beats him somehow. That thing is supernaturally bright.

jester00

Postby jester00 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Anyone recommend a good battery operated black light? I checked the Spirit Halloween store today and didn't see one. Figured for sure I would find one there
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:05 am

itsabecka wrote:Just got my Yoda today his glow is amazing

Nice! You should get the emperor too, they're molded out of the same GITD vinyl and look great together :-)

Tmwnn wrote:Awesome, thanks. I noticed she takes a lot of light (incandescent), but has a neat glow once I get her charged.

I also got a GITD Creature Pop!. He glows well, but BMO still beats him somehow. That thing is supernaturally bright.

Sweet! I really need to get a BMO one of these days, but he's not cheap!

jester00 wrote:Anyone recommend a good battery operated black light? I checked the Spirit Halloween store today and didn't see one. Figured for sure I would find one there

I have tried a battery-powered (supposedly UV) light string to light up Halloween GITD stuff and it didn't work at all. They make small battery-powered fluorescent fixtures like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T6 ... p469_d0_i3

But I have no idea how effective they are. In reading the reviews some people say they're great and others say they're too dim.

My GITD Gir is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I'll report back on his glowiness :-)

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:16 pm

the GITD Gir is a little disappointing in terms of glowiness, the body glows pretty bright but not the head with my blacklight, it does have a tiny glow to the head after its been charged a bit though

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:32 pm

JoeCoolTM wrote:the GITD Gir is a little disappointing in terms of glowiness, the body glows pretty bright but not the head with my blacklight, it does have a tiny glow to the head after its been charged a bit though

Really? I thought it has a pretty decent glow. Here is a pic I took with the GITD HT Jack Skellington.
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

jester00

Postby jester00 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:37 pm

treswright wrote:
jester00 wrote:Anyone recommend a good battery operated black light? I checked the Spirit Halloween store today and didn't see one. Figured for sure I would find one there

I have tried a battery-powered (supposedly UV) light string to light up Halloween GITD stuff and it didn't work at all. They make small battery-powered fluorescent fixtures like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T6 ... p469_d0_i3

But I have no idea how effective they are. In reading the reviews some people say they're great and others say they're too dim.

Thanks for the advice! I wish I had an electrical outlet where my display shelf is. Would make things a lot easier that's for sure!
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:44 pm

toro423 wrote:
JoeCoolTM wrote:the GITD Gir is a little disappointing in terms of glowiness, the body glows pretty bright but not the head with my blacklight, it does have a tiny glow to the head after its been charged a bit though

Really? I thought it has a pretty decent glow. Here is a pic I took with the GITD HT Jack Skellington.

woooah yeah that is definitely a brighter glow than mine.. maybe i need to give it a little more time in the light etc

FunkoNinja

Postby FunkoNinja » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 pm

My Gir glows pretty good as well. Also, was able to snag GITD Lo Pan from FYE today.
Currently Want: White Lantern GITD Flash & Superman, Atom Boy, Slimer & slimed Venkman, Ecto-1, HT Raven, Flocked Lion-O, GITD Mumm-Ra, Target Olaf

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:04 am

Got my Gir yesterday and mine is just as Joe described his- body glows fantastic, head almost not at all under black light. With the black light off the head does glow, but not nearly as bright as the body. Very disappointing compared to the other super-bright glowers in my case. Ed, did you charge yours under incandescent lighting or UV? Maybe that's the difference.

FN- congrats! I've been eying that one as well but my "want" list outstrips my budget right now lol

Jester, not sure if this idea helps, but if you go with LED strip lighting the wiring past the transformer is low voltage (12v). There's no risk of electrocution or fire with low voltage wiring, so you can do things with it you're not supposed to do with line voltage wiring. The display box in my photos in this thread is over the doors from my bedroom to the bathroom. I ran the wiring down next to the door trim in a white "cord cover" I got from Lowe's, this one:

I routed it in that cord cover from the display box down to the floor. Once I got it down to the floor I just tucked the wiring underneath the baseboard trim (pushed it between the carpeting and trim, there's a void space under the trim once you push it in there) and routed it over to the nearest outlet which was 7 or 8 feet away. I have the transformer plugged into a remote-controlled switch and keep the remote on my nightstand so I can turn the lights on and off from bed. If you really can't tolerate a cord cover running down the wall, another option would be to drill a small hole in the wall next to the case and another directly below it just above the base board and pull the wiring through the space between studs. You can't do this with something like lamp cord because it's not a good idea to run line voltage wiring through a concealed space, but with low voltage wiring it's OK. I've done this before and what I did to "grab" the wiring at the bottom was took a piece of coat hanger and bent it into a hook shape, then pushed the low voltage wiring through the upper hole and used the hook to grab it and pull it out down below. Where there's a will there's a way lol

Volias

Postby Volias » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

I would add Ant-Man GITD to the list of bad glows. It's pretty basic (just eyes and chest) and the glow fades pretty fast on mine.
Hello! I'm Mike!
Pop Count: 73

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks Mike, I thought it was already on there but it wasn't!

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:46 pm

I got the Nightmare Before Christmas Pocket Pop GITD set. It doesn't clearly say it on the package, but I think only Oogie Boogie glows. It's actually on Barnes and Noble's website, but I was too stupid to find it and bought it off eBay instead for like $4 more. On B&N's site, it seems to emphasize that only Oogie Boogie glows in the description: "Jack, Sally, GLOW Oogie B&N Exclusive." I will say he glows well, though.

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 pm

obviously not technically "gitd"s but twisty from AHS, harley with a mallet, and the joker from the series 1 dc universe look extra creepy and glowy under black light :D

chaenilok

Postby chaenilok » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Goku only glows if exposed to UV light. My pops are in a room that doesn't get any sun, and I thought I'd accidentally been sent a normal Goku. Out of the ten or so glow in the dark Pops, I have, he's the only one that needs sunlight to glow.
Hi, I'm Chaeni.
Marvel Pops: 181 | Other Pops: 62 | ISO: Black and White Captain America (#6), Metallic Captain America (#6) | Unattainable Grails: Heimdall Freddy, Deathstroke Freddy

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:22 pm

forgot to add the picture

FunkoNinja

Postby FunkoNinja » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:01 am

Saw quite a few BN Exclusive GITD Hulk at my local BN today. There was one mixed in with the other Pops! and six behind the register.
Currently Want: White Lantern GITD Flash & Superman, Atom Boy, Slimer & slimed Venkman, Ecto-1, HT Raven, Flocked Lion-O, GITD Mumm-Ra, Target Olaf

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 am

What an awesome thread!! I love the glow POPs as well & I have an array of them from different lines! Some of my favorites are the Holo Darth Maul, the glow Cthulhu, the glow Tossakan (one of the best & brightest gitd POPs out there), glow Gir, glow Vault Boy, SDCC glow Billy from Saw, & the Dallas Con glow Reverse Flash!! I don't have pictures handily available at the moment, but stay tuned to see some awesome pictures of these exclusive gitd POPs!

Lastly, may not be the brightest glowing POPs, but my #1 favorite gitd POP is the HT exclusive gitd Winter Soilder Captain America!!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

claireyfairy1

Postby claireyfairy1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey all, these are amazing pics. I don't have an GITD pops except the Winter Soldier Captain America one, which I bought very recently on ebay to add to my Cap collection. However, he doesn't seem to glow. :( Does Cap need sunlight to glow? If I put him by a window for a day, will that help? And can anyone tell me how much and where he should glow?

Box and pop look authentic and the seller had great feedback, but the lack of glow is a bit of a disappointment.

Thanks,
Claire

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey all, well it's been kind of a glow drought for me since I picked up Pumpkin Jack, but that's about to end as I've got a couple on the way :-) I am REALLY stoked about the orange NYCC Catbug, the blue one is one of my favorites in my UV case, hopefully the orange one glows just as brightly! The NYCC GITD Godzilla is on the way too, hopefully it's a good glower too. I also saw this Pop Asia one posted in one of the forums and it is absolutely a must have for me!

Claire, not all the Pops are good glowers. Some are exceptional, some are average and some are just plain poor. I don't have that particular one, but based on Josh's post just before yours it sounds like it's not a real bright glower. I would not recommend putting him in direct sunlight all day, it'll fade the paint and charging him for more than 5 or 10 minutes is just overkill anyway, he won't glow any brighter or longer past that. Try charging him under a black light and various other lights (incandescent, compact fluorescent) and see which works better.

Coming soon 3.jpg

Coming soon 2.jpg

Coming soon 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:27 pm

is the godzilla staying in the box or is an epic diorama in the works already? lol

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:36 pm

based on what i've read it sounds like there can be a lot of variance within one character's glow. i guess it's partly dependent on the production somehow.

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:39 pm

JoeCoolTM wrote:is the godzilla staying in the box or is an epic diorama in the works already? lol

Well since you asked... :-D I also ordered the burning Godzilla. The plans are to do a foam core riser split down the middle. One one side will be black foam core buildings similar to the backdrop I did for the Ghostbusters Pop display with red LED uplighting and the burning Godzilla stomping through the buildings. On the other side will be the same, except all white foam core, blue LED uplighting and the glowzilla. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I can get it all to fit one one shelf of the Detolf, I need to actually see the Godzillas (see how big they are) so I can figure out if there's room or not. If there's not room for both of them then I'll just do one of them, or do a horizontal split or something.

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:45 pm

ryanc_ wrote:based on what i've read it sounds like there can be a lot of variance within one character's glow. i guess it's partly dependent on the production somehow.

It's possible, but I think it has more to do with how they're being charged (type and wattage of lighting, also white light versus UV). It could be personal perception too, if the only glow Pops someone has are Pumpkin Jack, Marshmallow Man and Ghost Rider then they may think they all glow pretty well, but if they ever add one like Adipose, Vault Boy or BMO then suddenly the others will appear quite anemic :-)

KultKlassics

Postby KultKlassics » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Is there a big variation in glow quality? Because my pumpkin king I have placed in direct sun on the window sill for an entire day and in darkness it is so faint at glowing that I really have to try hard to see it. It only shows in 100% darkness too.

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:57 pm

KultKlassics wrote:Is there a big variation in glow quality? Because my pumpkin king I have placed in direct sun on the window sill for an entire day and in darkness it is so faint at glowing that I really have to try hard to see it. It only shows in 100% darkness too.

There is. Some glow really nice and some dont. I would recommend a black light. I have seen a lot of pops that dont glow after hours in direct sunlight and then they do glow with a few seconds under a black light.
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

cameron9501

Postby cameron9501 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:48 pm

harley quinn glows pretty good
most wanted pops: mad hatter,mayor,belle,two face,boo and winnie the pooh.
pops in collection:347 pops

KultKlassics

Postby KultKlassics » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:10 pm

toro423 wrote:
KultKlassics wrote:Is there a big variation in glow quality? Because my pumpkin king I have placed in direct sun on the window sill for an entire day and in darkness it is so faint at glowing that I really have to try hard to see it. It only shows in 100% darkness too.

There is. Some glow really nice and some dont. I would recommend a black light. I have seen a lot of pops that dont glow after hours in direct sunlight and then they do glow with a few seconds under a black light.

Interesting. I put my 750 lumen flashlight on him for about 20 seconds, he had a decent glow but it doesn't last much longer than a minute.
I think I will give this UV Bulb at home depot for $5 a try. Anyone use anything similar?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electri ... /100553168

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Kult, I've tried Pumpkin Jack under UV light. With the light on he does not "activate" like the better glowers. He just looks like a painted Pop. With the light off he glows orange for a while and looks cool, but again he's not very bright.

As luck would have it my Glowzilla arrived today :-) I couldn't fit him in my glow case, so I took some of the others out of the case for a comparison shot in front of a tube black light. He glows pretty good! Not quite as bright as the others in the pic, but they are all top glowers. With the light off he glows a really nice light blue color. He's a keeper :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaoMac

Postby PaoMac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 am

treswright wrote:Kult, I've tried Pumpkin Jack under UV light. With the light on he does not "activate" like the better glowers. He just looks like a painted Pop. With the light off he glows orange for a while and looks cool, but again he's not very bright.

As luck would have it my Glowzilla arrived today :-) I couldn't fit him in my glow case, so I took some of the others out of the case for a comparison shot in front of a tube black light. He glows pretty good! Not quite as bright as the others in the pic, but they are all top glowers. With the light off he glows a really nice light blue color. He's a keeper :-)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice! I was waiting for someone to post a glowing ghost godzilla and see how it glows. Now I'm really excited
to get mine, can't wait!
FIRE AND BLOOD

ghstR3CON2

Postby ghstR3CON2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:03 am

The only glow one I have is the Loot Crate exclusive Groot. I think it's pretty neat at night after everything is turned off for bed. I know he is protecting my house lol
Number of Pops: 105
Favorite Line of Pops: MARVEL
First Pop Ever: #10 Captain America
Latest Pop Obtained: #50 Glowing One (Fallout)
Favorite Pop: #41 GiTD Captain America
Most Desired Pop: #6 Metallic Masked Captain America (SDCC13)

ne0rest

Postby ne0rest » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 am

Hey guys, just wondering if someone can help me out. I just got the Japan exclusive Spider-Man and the Harrisons Deadpool and was wondering what colour they are meant to glow. I have seen pics of spidey glowing kinda redish but mine has a whitish green glow to it. Is that normal? Is there any difference between the Japan exclusive and the gemini one?

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:36 pm

PaoMac wrote:Nice! I was waiting for someone to post a glowing ghost godzilla and see how it glows. Now I'm really excited
to get mine, can't wait!

Glad to help :-) I tried to stick it in my case to see how it looks with the strip UV LEDs as they tend to make Pops glow much better than the tube fluorescents (like the one I took the pics with) do. I had to stick it in there sideways but sure enough it is much brighter! When I build the display I mentioned above I'll light him with strip LEDs so that should be cool :-)

ghstR3CON2 wrote:The only glow one I have is the Loot Crate exclusive Groot. I think it's pretty neat at night after everything is turned off for bed. I know he is protecting my house lol

Is this the one that just the hand glows on?

ne0rest, I don't have either of those but hopefully someone else can weigh in!

Return to “Pop!”