MLP Vinyl Discussion (Funko please bring back the Vinyls!)

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
renirawr

Re: MLP Vinyl Discussion (When will we get Wave 13?)

Postby renirawr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 am

Dark69 wrote:i would have the sads! we need Cheerilee and Zecora. :(

I agree!

These vinyls are such a big part of my collection and they introduced me to collecting other Funko products. I'll be really sad if this is it, especially going out on two ponies I don't much care for and missing out on two characters that I was beyond excited for.
I'm Renia and I'm addicted to all things My Little Pony!

@RainbowrificRenia on Instagram

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Same here the Vinyls brought me into collecting Funko... And they are by far my favorite thing to collect including other brands and things I collect.... :( please Funko don't let it be the end before the best two....

Perhaps maybe they will be ECCC or SDCC exclusives.. Which as long as we get them I guess I don't care how or where
ISO: My Little Pony Vinyl Protos White or Color (Still searching 2023 have a spot saved on my shelf!)

Mori_LeStrange

Postby Mori_LeStrange » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:58 pm

AquaticNeon wrote:Who else would be beyond crushed if that happened....

Same here. After Luna, Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis were my two most wanted characters to be made. I was dying to see glitters of them too. Especially since I have yet to find Luna's glitter variant.

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Mori_LeStrange wrote:
AquaticNeon wrote:Who else would be beyond crushed if that happened....

Same here. After Luna, Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis were my two most wanted characters to be made. I was dying to see glitters of them too. Especially since I have yet to find Luna's glitter variant.

This! It's like you took the thoughts outta my head!
ISO: My Little Pony Vinyl Protos White or Color (Still searching 2023 have a spot saved on my shelf!)

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:00 pm

I really just need Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis- other characters would be great (especially a Changeling) but really- we NEED NM and Chrysalis! I think they would be the most popular figures to date. How cruel would it be for the line to stop JUST short of the two most epic figures?

But I am worried that what may be impacting these two- is the price of production. I mean, when you look at Luna- (who sold out instantly everytime a shipment appeared) - she is a fairly complicated design, and she is heavy. Honestly she seems more expensive than the Hikaris. I wonder if production costs for her and Celestia ended up costing close to what they expected to get as a retail price? Thereby causing the line to be nixed?

Honestly though I would not think twice before paying $50 for either Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon if that was going to be their price.

brand42

Postby brand42 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:02 am

It took me 16 visits to McDonalds locations but I finally have all 8 of the current Happy Meal ponies. Since there's a chance of no more mystery minis, I made an extra effort to get Coco, Starlight, Rarity and Fluttershy since they can kind of sort of be displayed with the mini ponies.

SunsetBeauty

Postby SunsetBeauty » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 am

brand42 wrote:It took me 16 visits to McDonalds locations but I finally have all 8 of the current Happy Meal ponies. Since there's a chance of no more mystery minis, I made an extra effort to get Coco, Starlight, Rarity and Fluttershy since they can kind of sort of be displayed with the mini ponies.

Congrats! I'm just missing Rainbow Dash and Starlight, and have 2 Pinkie Pies and 2 Fluttershys. lol I'm hoping I can buy/trade Rainbow Dash from someone, since I doubt I can pick her up at Mcdonalds anymore.
Kate

"Okay, you people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn . . . call the president." ~Jack Burton

Dorbz- 15
MLP Hikari - 6
Mystery Minis - Too many to count!
Keychains/Pocket Pops - 8
Pops - 212
MLP Vinyl - 60

Jocelyn

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:31 pm

The theory of NMM and Chrys's cost of production being the reason for this delay makes sense to me. Luna and Celestia only got one release, didn't they? And I remember that being complicated by the port strike, making those two particularly hard to attain. I'm so grateful that the one Luna I ordered happened to be glitter, I didn't want to even dream of having a glitter Luna at the time.

I really do hope someone like B&N picks up these ponies. They don't seem to be phasing out the vinyl ponies, as far as I can tell. It's just a bummer, I only collect two Funko lines and now the both of them look to be done, without any official word or clarification. So we're left to wonder, which gets tiring.

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Really starting to worry..

I would pay much more for them if it just meant they'd keep them around..
Robbie / 22 / under ur bed

LTB: Cheese Sandwich and Maud Pie vinyl / Harry Potter POPs

renirawr

Postby renirawr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:58 am

I would too.

Honestly, I just wish we could get an official statement on this so we don't keep our hopes up just to have them shattered. Or, that there was someone we could talk with to let Funko know that we still want these. I feel like they're really dropping the bomb if they don't release these two...

But we should still give it some time. If production issues (which seem likely) are holding things up, hopefully they'll be sorted out soon.

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Me too.

I thought that at least someone had a contact they could ask. The ongoing silence is increasingly worrisome. But I still have this faint hope...

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm thinking at the very least they will be SDCC since they have the molds made already.. Which as long as we get them I'm happy would suck to not get glitters right away but atleast wed get them. Maybe they will take a break from the line until the MLP movie comes out in theaters?

Honestly wouldnt mind paying $80 a piece for them just to have them..

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

I would be a little surprised if they did SDCC ponies this year- don't they usually save their CC exclusives for the newest exciting licenses? They didn't do an exclusive last year after all.

But I still haven't lost complete hope until we hear something either way I guess. *crossing fingers and toes*

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Same crossing fingers and toes! Are they worried they won't sell well? I know that they would! Maybe release only limited to 500 pieces or something that way they will ALL easily.. The thing is these would be some of the best sellers ever the last wave sucked it was my least favorite wave I think..... Ugh

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 am

This is very worrisome..

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Question for long time Funko collectors. Let's just say the worst happens and it's cancelled, what are the chances of them coming back in the future? (Say for instance when the MLP movie hits theaters?)

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 am

idk but the ponies are what turned me on to Funko products in the first place..

renirawr

Postby renirawr » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:51 am

That's how I was introduced to Funko too. While I'm enjoying collecting POP figures, the pony vinyls were always the most exciting to me.

I'd understand if we don't get more ponies from Funko, but I at least want them to go out on top with two amazing characters.

frankusho

Postby frankusho » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:31 pm

AquaticNeon wrote:I'm thinking at the very least they will be SDCC since they have the molds made already.. Which as long as we get them I'm happy would suck to not get glitters right away but atleast wed get them. Maybe they will take a break from the line until the MLP movie comes out in theaters?

Honestly wouldnt mind paying $80 a piece for them just to have them..

SDCC exclusives would be a plus, especially since we didn't have any last year. Maybe their strategy is to spread out distribution a bit in the hope of having the remaining stock dwindle down a bit.

Jocelyn

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Does anyone know if there's aaaaaanyyyy chance they may restock Celestia and Luna? I always assumed a wider release was coming, but it never did and now it seems like the pony vinyls are dying down.

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:06 pm

I had always thought they would too- there were definitely not nearly enough. But they never did. I think there were a lot of complaints that the tails came unglued in the package. I

That is what made me wonder if maybe production costs got too high for the big elaborate ponies...

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm hoping that they just decided to spread out production a bit. They can't get rid of our ponies yet D:

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Saw a couple people on a Facebook trade group getting really excited about collecting these and all guessing what was to come next.. I didn't have the heart to say anything yet, I hope we have answers soon, and I hope they are good... Please don't give up on us Funko, if you release Queen Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon I know the sales will be great!

WickedWonderland

Postby WickedWonderland » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure they have already figured it out on their own that there haven't been any new releases. Honestly, I don't blame Funko for dropping this line. All anyone seems to want are the chase figures and the rest just end up being shelf warmers for the longest time and that is a pretty big waste of money if they continue to sit on the shelf a year or two after being released.

Gotta do what makes the most money in the long run and this doesn't seem to be it for them.

renirawr

Postby renirawr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm

If they have given up on this line, it'd be nice to have an official word from them. Plus, it's weird that they'd drop this but do MLP in the form of those emoji things, but blind bag toys/figures are really popular these days...

In saying that, does Funko usually release a statement of any kind when they're done with a particular line of figures? I'm trying to stay optimistic about getting Chrysalis and NMM in the future, but that's looking more and more bleak as time goes on.

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't think Funko has ever released a statement "we are done" with a particular line. They probably never know if they may want to come back to it.

But for MLP, it has been so long now. I'm afraid we will never see Chrysalis or NM. At least we have the minis I guess.

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 pm

renirawr wrote:If they have given up on this line, it'd be nice to have an official word from them. Plus, it's weird that they'd drop this but do MLP in the form of those emoji things, but blind bag toys/figures are really popular these days...

In saying that, does Funko usually release a statement of any kind when they're done with a particular line of figures? I'm trying to stay optimistic about getting Chrysalis and NMM in the future, but that's looking more and more bleak as time goes on.

No, they don't do official statements. That's very black and white, and this is a company based upon supply and demand (just like any other) and more than anything, trend.

The CMC did not sell well, and Maud and Cheese sandwich did not sell well. That's two series in a row that tanked. It's hard to bounce back from that, and even then they are running out of highly marketable characters. Keep an eye on the funko website vault area to see if pieces are discontinued.
San Diego funatic

renirawr

Postby renirawr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:55 am

Okie dokie, I was just wondering. The pony vinyls are how I got into Funko, so I wasn't sure how they typically handled things like stopping production for certain lines.

It was almost a given that the CMC, Maud, and Cheese Sandwich wouldn't sell as well as other ponies. Oh well. Hasbro stepped up their game and will be giving us Guardians of Harmony. If Funko doesn't give us Nightmare Moon and Queen Chrysalis (and as time goes by, I'm leaning more and more towards thinking we aren't getting them), we at least have those to look forward to as far as awesome looking figures of those two.

It's just a shame because the protos of their vinyl figures looked really promising...

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Maybe we're just waiting because they're looking for someone else to buy the rights, now that HT doesn't want them?

Please don't let this be the end..

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:42 pm

It really is too bad they didn't go directly to Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis. We all know those would have sold like crazy.

If anyone is looking to pick up a cheap Blue Discord- he is clearanced on Hot Topic - (he was $6.40 for a while but appears to be $8 now)

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 pm

beckysaurus wrote:No, they don't do official statements. That's very black and white, and this is a company based upon supply and demand (just like any other) and more than anything, trend.
... Keep an eye on the funko website vault area to see if pieces are discontinued.

So I just checked the vault- Ponies vaulted include: Luna, Celestia and Applejack, Pinkie, Big Macintosh and Sweetie Drops.

With the exception of Sweetie Drops- it is perhaps not a coincidence that all of THESE ponies just so happen to be the more complicated/heavy/subject to breakage ponies we've had.

There was certainly no other reason to send Celestia and Luna to the vault- those ponies sold out almost the instant they went on sale, and every time they were restocked. The only explanation seems to be production cost- probably if we were seeing a lot of broken tails in the post production packages- QC for these two was probably a nightmare- I bet they had a LOT of broken ponies to contend with... which no doubt jacked up production cost.

Since Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon are as or possibly more complicated than even Celestia and Luna-

I don't know about you guys, but the fact that Luna and Celestia are ALREADY in the vault after so short and small a release (despite sell-outs) pretty much seals the deal for me.

We are not going to see large versions of Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon. Unless whoever it is that has the prototypes decides to cast them...

SunsetBeauty

Postby SunsetBeauty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:47 pm

That's just so sad. I was so looking forward to Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon. They would have been amazing. I'm just really sad that there doesn't look to be any new pony stuff this year (beside the mymjois things, which for me are not appealing at all).

Dorbz seems to be picking up in popularity - but I wonder how MLP would translate? I just want my funko ponies to continue on!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that maybe we get something good for SDCC! :)
Kate

"Okay, you people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn . . . call the president." ~Jack Burton

Dorbz- 15
MLP Hikari - 6
Mystery Minis - Too many to count!
Keychains/Pocket Pops - 8
Pops - 212
MLP Vinyl - 60

renirawr

Postby renirawr » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:59 am

Galacticat wrote:I don't know about you guys, but the fact that Luna and Celestia are ALREADY in the vault after so short and small a release (despite sell-outs) pretty much seals the deal for me.

We are not going to see large versions of Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon. Unless whoever it is that has the prototypes decides to cast them...

I could cry. I was seriously so pumped about getting my favorite character from MLP as a Funko figure, but I think you may be on to something here.

I think I'm more upset knowing that the prototypes exist and...that's it. Like, we were teased with the idea and then they gave up on it before anything really happened. It's just a shame, but I get it.

At least we have the mystery minis of them.

frankusho

Postby frankusho » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:19 am

That's really sad to hear. I was really looking forward to Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon. I've been with this line since the beginning, and it would've been great to at least end the line on those two. Luna's release was annoying, especially with the shipment delay and limited quantities. I was hoping to see some sort of price drop on Luna and her chase, but the vaulted status is going to make that difficult... unless a bunch of cases randomly appear.

AquaticNeon

Postby AquaticNeon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:08 am

I still don't think we need to give up that quickly there hasn't been an official word yet. Also we all know some waves were super good sellers, and even the waves that weren't seemed to still eventually sell out at Hot Topic. I would just hope they would at least the last two that so many of us wanted, they would have been two of my favorite releases ever.. They are my two fav villains... As for them running out of marketable characters I don't think that's totally true, they constantly are having new characters in the show that gain popularity quite quickly and have fans begging for Funkos of them like Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer, etc. I think the other villains like King Sombra would also be a super hot seller. I have a feeling that Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon wouldn't have broken like the Luna mold her tail connector was too thin that's what happened with her and I only saw like one broken out of probably 60-70 different ones.

Besides those ponies have been in the vault for a couple months I remember seeing them in there a long time ago. However some are still in stores, and others being restocked on multiple online retailer sites. So I'm not sure what to think.

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 pm

While I think it's nice that everyone is being so hopeful I don't think NMM and chrysalis are going to happen. There have been other lines where a character or many were announced and never produced.

Seeing some of the ponies vaulted and since its been so long since cheese and maud were released I'm calling it.

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

AquaticNeon

Re: MLP Vinyl Discussion HELP! #savethefunkoponies

Postby AquaticNeon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:05 am

AquaticNeon wrote:Funko we need our ponies back! Please sign this petition if you would like for Funko to release the Queen Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon Vinyl figures, and continue making more MLP characters in the future. Or if you would like to support the collectors out there! Save what was going to be and what could be! http://www.change.org/p/6383783 Thanks for the picture donations! Be sure to use the #savethefunkoponies as well!

Any help is greatly appreciated we can make a difference guys!

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 pm

I do truly think that it is a cost of production issue with Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon, unfortunately combined with the fervor of the MLP line dying down (Hot Topic's DC0.

I wish we could get it across to Hot Topic and other retailers (and through them Funko) that people would be willing to pay 2x the usual vinyl price for Chrysalis and Nightmare Moon- I mean, wouldn't you?

wenhol8710

Postby wenhol8710 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 pm

AquaticNeon wrote:
Besides those ponies have been in the vault for a couple months I remember seeing them in there a long time ago. However some are still in stores, and others being restocked on multiple online retailer sites. So I'm not sure what to think.

That's just it though...being in the vault just means they are no longer in production, not that the products get pulled off the shelves of retailers. The fact that some of these ponies have been out of production for months and are still somewhat widely available unfortunately says a lot about their waning popularity.

This was the line that got me into Funko products as well, and it is a little sad to see them go.
wenhol8710 on Instagram

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah- I think maybe overall, retailers are just not ordering as many from Funko- whether it is because they are not selling fast enough or returns issues- or just production cost- I guess we'll never know for sure-

but it is a shame they stopped JUST short of the two most awesome sculpts in the line...

Return to “Vinyl”