HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
addict2films

HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

Postby addict2films » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Who else is absolutely devastated that the next wave of Doctor Who POPS may be the last??

I adore the new wave already, especially 12 with the guitar and 11/Mr. Clever... however, I'm still disappointed that there isn't Amy. Rory and most of all Clara.

Turns out the second wave did so poorly that the line may end.

I feel like that It's not that Doctor Who isn't a popular line..

*EDIT. FUNKO HAS GIVEN US EXCLUSIVES: Roman Rory, 8th Season Clara, Kissagram Amy....(THEY HAVE ALL SOLD OUT)

NOW PLEASE MORE COMPANIONS AND OTHER CHARACTERS [-o< [-o< [-o<

1. DONNA NOBLE!**
2. CLARA (WAITRESS OUTFIT!!!) PLEASE!!!!**
3. Regular clothes Amy/Rory 2 pack
4. Ood
5. Velvet Coat/ Burgundy Coat 12th Doctor

PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER WAVE FUNKO!!!!!!
Last edited by addict2films on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buf12sbr

Re: HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

Postby buf12sbr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:08 pm

basically it has to sell and sell hard. thats why they went variants as they sell.

i dont collect the who line but I am familiar with the fandom and you are right wave two had the wrong line up since you need the casual fan to to make the line profitable and they are not going to buy the old drs and companions as they are/may not be familiar with them as much as the hardcore fans
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 pm

I think it doesn't help that there is no new season this year. We get the Christmas special and then nothing until spring. That's nothing Funko can control but I think it plays a part. Also DW was pulled from Netlix and Hulu in the US this year. Also not a help and nothing we can control. I think it just made for a perfect storm of the DW Pops not selling this year. :(
Image Image
Courtesies: SPN Sig: ChinoX Team Badges: valorandvellum Team Tardis: hailmary25

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 pm

i haven't thought of that! Wow. It really sucks :((
Hopefully we'll have enough fans to pull through.

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:05 pm

addict2films wrote:i haven't thought of that! Wow. It really sucks :((
Hopefully we'll have enough fans to pull through.

Best we can do is petition our hearts out and buy buy buy.
Image Image

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:07 pm

I don't collect them but wow, these latest ones are truly fantastic! Maybe they'll sell better than the previous ones.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 pm

I've never watched Doctor Who or bought any of the Pops, but I would hate to see the line end. There are a lot of people on here that adore that line. I can tell they aren't selling, because my local B&N have been selling a lot of Pops this summer, but the same DW Pops, including exclusives, continue to sit for weeks and weeks, if not months and months. None seem to ever get purchased. The same ones continue to sit in the same spots, while most of the other shelves have gone through many different Pops in that time. The other stores like HT and GS don't bother ordering them. I don't recall ever seeing a DW Pop at another store. Only B&N.

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 pm

It would be absolutely devastating since they haven't even made many of the beloved companions that people have been asking since the first wave.
Hopefully sales will be better for this wave in order to get a second one.

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:03 am

I feel like they should've tackled previous incarnations of The Doctor before going into sidekicks and companions. Yes, we all love Captain Harness and K-9 and River Song, but in comparison to some of the other Doctors, they lack a certain "look". I think it's why series like Saved by the Bell and Friends tend to end up on the bargain shelf earlier: they don't have a distinct look to them that makes them pop out immediately.

Still, I can understand where Funko was coming from. Series 2 gives us two of the most prominent Companions, the first new incarnation of the reboot, the Doctor's wife/star of one of the most compelling overarching stories in the entire series, and one of the series scariest villains. On paper, it SHOULD'VE worked. It's just a matter of execution, I suppose.

I don't watch Doctor Who either (despite how much my girlfriend is trying to get me to), but this line has always been nothing if not fun to look at. The third wave looks awesome, and I'm hoping for the fandom's sake that this one sells much better.
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 am

I'm actually surprised that the second wave didn't do well. I always thought Dr Who had a big enough following to carry that line for at least a few more waves.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 am

I love the newer Doctors, but I also think classic Doctors may have helped and people were chomping at the bit for Amy, Rory, and Clara. I think those companions and the earlier Docorrs may have boosted sales. No matter how huge a fandom is it can be difficult to sell a line when there's no new season to help out sales. I really hope Funko takes this all into account and will give us another wave with more Doctors and maybe other companions, too.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:12 am

Flex Luthor wrote:I'm actually surprised that the second wave didn't do well. I always thought Dr Who had a big enough following to carry that line for at least a few more waves.

I thought that too. I just figured there was a lack of DW fans in my area. Kind of like how there isn't much interest in GoT in my area. An employee at HT told me once that they have a hard time selling GoT Pops. I personally love GoT and have several of the Pops.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

It's a tough call, because I personally love everything, but when Funko crunches the numbers, they know for a fact what sells. Obivously popular ones like the 10th Doctor sell, but if they continue to pump our variants of him, will people get sick of him and stop buying? I know I got tired of Castiel from Supernatural and didn't get two of his variants. I personally think making more Doctors before anything else would be wise, because I think a true fan will at the very least want a full Doctor lineup. After that it's about popular aliens and companions. I thought Amy was pretty popular, but to me the second wave made sense. Rose, Jack and River are awesome, and I am extremely happy to have them. Do I think other variants or new characters should have been made in place of 9th with the banana and 12th with the spoon? Maybe....but I still bought them, because I love the show.

I know 99.9% of us can only speculate how the Funko team figures what may sell, and how they crunch their numbers, I just think more Doctors would do the trick, even if it's only one of each. I think some of the more recent companions and aliens would help bridge the gap, and then toss one or two TOPS old characters to see if there is interest. I don't know, they have so much on their plate, at the end of the day I'm just happy this line was made at all, but I want nothing more than for it to continue and continue and continue for years to come!

:D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:04 am

The show itself needs to pick back up. It's lost a lot of viewers the last couple of years unfortunately. The fandom is not quite what it was 3-4 years ago.
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

butwevegotheart

Postby butwevegotheart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:38 am

FawnyLovesFunko wrote:I think it doesn't help that there is no new season this year. We get the Christmas special and then nothing until spring. That's nothing Funko can control but I think it plays a part. Also DW was pulled from Netlix and Hulu in the US this year. Also not a help and nothing we can control. I think it just made for a perfect storm of the DW Pops not selling this year. :(

I think this is exactly the problem. Doctor Who isn't really on a lot of people's minds at the moment because there isn't anything new out there to refresh people's love of the show, and their desire to add Doctor Who Pops to their collections. I was surprised to hear that the last wave didn't sell well, because it had Rose and River Song, which are two very popular Doctor Who characters, and it finally included two Nine Pops, not to mention a unique Ten variant (regeneration/GITD). I know I bought more from the last wave than I did previous one just because it included a lot of my favorites. With all that said, I think this new wave has some really great looking Pops, so hopefully that'll get the attention of DW fans. I do think that putting out an Amy and/or Clara Pop would've been a better decision than another Ten variant, because people have been wanting an Amy Pop for a very long time, and Clara is the most recent companion. :dontknow:
I'm Steph! My favorite, and main, Funko Pop lines that I'm currently collecting are The Walking Dead, Hannibal, Disney, Game of Thrones, Supernatural, and Doctor Who.
Funko Pop Count: 109
Mystery Minis: 41
My current grails: SDCC Bryan Fuller, Unmasked Captain America, Unmasked/Masked Winter Soldier

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:50 am

I love the POPs that they have done but I think that maybe they just need to do 1 or 2 "Classic" figures per wave. That way people feel the need to get all of them to not have holes in their collections. That the way I am with Supernatural. There are WAY to many Cass figures when they could no so much more and with the amount I have seen sold at the Super Con's I know that people would buy them.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

emk194

Postby emk194 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 am

I honestly am surprised by this. I'm by no means a DW fan, but I always found their Pops fun. Figured there were enough fans to keep the line alive. I was considering picking up the Tennant and Capaldi pops in the newest wave, but that's it. Hope this wave does well for all of the DW fans here.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:44 am

Sometimes...just sometimes...less is more...sorry, I'm a huge DW fan and there are WAY too many of those pops floating around...the handful here that ask for them clearly don't represent the general public's demand, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist...

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:49 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:Sometimes...just sometimes...less is more...sorry, I'm a huge DW fan and there are WAY too many of those pops floating around...the handful here that ask for them clearly don't represent the general public's demand, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist...

All I ever wanted was an Amy Pond :(
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:52 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:

Me too. And at least one of all the Doctors, first thru eighth.
Image Image

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 pm

FawnyLovesFunko wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:

Amy, Rory, one of each Doctor, and a few more aliens. I'd be...content...albeit still in need of more.
:freddy2:

Pops!- 716ish

the19thdoctor

Postby the19thdoctor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:09 pm

This is all so depressing for me because I am a Who fanatic and it is THE reason I got into Pops at all. That has extended to other lines as well, but Who remains the only one I am an absolute completist on. I have every single one of them. Seriously sucks.

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:22 pm

the19thdoctor wrote:This is all so depressing for me because I am a Who fanatic and it is THE reason I got into Pops at all. That has extended to other lines as well, but Who remains the only one I am an absolute completist on. I have every single one of them. Seriously sucks.

Same here, DW got me into collecting Pops. I have almost all (skipped TARDIS variant, GITD Adipose, and the 12th Doctor Spacesuit will forever elude me). I got frustrated with the Titan blind boxes and never really liked their look anyway. So when the DW Pops came out, I dove in head first....and it's all been a downward spiral of collecting from there. lol
Image Image

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 pm

FawnyLovesFunko wrote:
the19thdoctor wrote:This is all so depressing for me because I am a Who fanatic and it is THE reason I got into Pops at all. That has extended to other lines as well, but Who remains the only one I am an absolute completist on. I have every single one of them. Seriously sucks.

Same here, DW got me into collecting Pops. I have almost all (skipped TARDIS variant, GITD Adipose, and the 12th Doctor Spacesuit will forever elude me). I got frustrated with the Titan blind boxes and never really liked their look anyway. So when the DW Pops came out, I dove in head first....and it's all been a downward spiral of collecting from there. lol

Aside from the Pop start, DW is the one line I get most excited for and try to get them all as soon as I can afford them. I never liked the Titan versions, so I was hoping the Pops would blow up and we'd get a ton of Pops. I too will never see the 12th Doctor in the space suit in my collection, but I do want to get that fading Tardis, and I have all of the rest. Just waiting impatiently for the new wave now. :D

Pops!- 716ish

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:51 pm

The announcement for the DW line is what actually got me into collecting. I do not know where or how I saw it but I thought i must have these and it moved on to ohter series like HP and GOT.

I think each Wave made perfect sense on who was in the line. Fine maybe add another classic doctor in wave two but who else would yu put with 9 besides rose and jack. And River was over do. And a Silence, Rose, 9th, Jack these are all new mold and that can get expensive.

HAs funko gave a lot of variants of 10/11/12 yes. But majority of the pops have also been new molds even the variants. And people are always asking for that.

How can we save this I do not know if we can. We all are the fans that will buy no matter what. it is the casual fan that must also buy. I know I iwll buy as gifts.

Others have already said plenty but I know for myself that if we got atleast a clara, amy and rory I would be content. Do not get me wrong I want more and more but I would be happy.

And i think they are on the right track with the 2.5 release we will call it. They are great pops and designs and im super excited for them, Plus as much as I like stickers they did right by not making it only available at HT for the first couple months.
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 pm

It's so great to see so much love for the Doctor Who POPS still. Hopefully, enough for a next wave.

minusdatails

Postby minusdatails » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm really crossing my fingers that this new mini wave will do well because there are soooo many other Doctor Who pops that I would love to see!!
My name is Kyle and I may or may not be a cat. :cat:
GRAIL: Captain America Mega Dorbz

Gojitron

Postby Gojitron » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:15 pm

The line needs more monsters and villains...Master/Missy, Davros, Sontaran, Zygon, Sea Devil, Clockwork Man, etc. They could have also mixed in 1 or 2 more classic Doctors. I think the line would be more popular if people knew there was a chance of getting all 12 (13?) Doctors eventually.

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:20 pm

FawnyLovesFunko wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:

Agree with Amy pond and all the doctors. A Rory would be good too to go with amy.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:46 pm

To save the line, buy the line.

Wave one was front loaded with versions that sold well. Wave 2 was, and forgive me for stepping on toes, weak. K-9 and Sarah Jane? Die-hards buy those, not current fans.

I think the Waves should have been small (four or five figures), released in quick succession and Doctor specific. 12 and Clara and Missy and a Dalek. 11 and Amy and Rory and River, 9 and 10 with Rose and a Cyberman. And they should have started with 11 as that's the guy current fans adore.

Mix in companions and classic doctors (other than Doctor 4) when they make sense, or release classic doctors as retailer/convention exclusives and keep the numbers low to generate some interest.

I'm glad we're getting Doctor Hoodie and his guitar. I would have preferred it slung over his shoulder.
Funklub: 11181

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Squird wrote:To save the line, buy the line.

Wave one was front loaded with versions that sold well. Wave 2 was, and forgive me for stepping on toes, weak. K-9 and Sarah Jane? Die-hards buy those, not current fans.

I think the Waves should have been small (four or five figures), released in quick succession and Doctor specific. 12 and Clara and Missy and a Dalek. 11 and Amy and Rory and River, 9 and 10 with Rose and a Cyberman. And they should have started with 11 as that's the guy current fans adore.

Mix in companions and classic doctors (other than Doctor 4) when they make sense, or release classic doctors as retailer/convention exclusives and keep the numbers low to generate some interest.

I'm glad we're getting Doctor Hoodie and his guitar. I would have preferred it slung over his shoulder.

why didn't they hire you to lead their Doctor Who marketing team?? The waves you suggested are absolutely perfect.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm

I have to agree with this thought. If the lines had been a little tighter and more specific groups, maybe they would have sold better. Although not a huge fan of Sarah Jane or K-9, I thought River, Jack and the Silence were solid, but I also don't mind the other 2 to go along with my 4th Doctors. I also agree that faster releases would be helpful, especially considering the thought that the lack of the show hinders people's interest. Hopefully the line picks up with the newest wave, it really is my favorite line, besides Marvel.

Pops!- 716ish

Princess

Postby Princess » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 pm

I love dr who, but I struggled with the second wave simply because of how many were released at once. All of the Harry Potter and the dr who were released very close together. That was well over 20 pops for just those two lines that I had to buy....and then you have the exclusives as well on top of that. It was a bit overwhelming to fork out that much money at once...and to find the space for all of them as well. It made me start to rethink about collecting the lIne. Personally, if Funko limit each wave to 5 or so at most, then I think they would do much better.
signature created by bathtub-tigers

TanyaTate

Postby TanyaTate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:10 pm

I am a huge Doctor Who fan, but there were so many variants in the first wave that by the time the second wave came around I was a bit overloaded. I will eventually get the second wave but I am not in a huge rush, and I am still appreciating the first wave. Three variants of one figure can be a bit overwhelming. LOL
WANTED: Hanna Barbara Huckleberry Hound POP Dark Purple, Light Purple, Orange, Red, Pink, Green and Dorbz Purple, Orange
My Youtube Channel

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:39 pm

So it feels like everyone felt overwhelmed with the variants in the first run.... maybe Funko could take polls instead on which characters people want.

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:29 am

^This. It is our mandate. Buy 2 or 3 of each, give them away to non-Funatic Wholigans/Whoovians and get them hooked. :thumbright: \:D/
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:09 pm

everyone mark down your calendars in AUGUST. WE'VE GOT TO SAVE THE LINE!

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Cam and Yoko just announced on periscope yesterday that the Doctor Who POPs will be released end of August/ beginning of Sept.

LETS SAVE THE LINE!!

kevin87

Postby kevin87 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:50 pm

I think also one of the things is Funko makes so much these days, which isn't a bad thing unless you like a lot of stuff lol It's hard to keep up sometimes with the volume of stuff coming out, and Doctor Who came out relatively close together. They also did a bunch of exclusives in wave 1 which can be daunting. They should spread it out with some new characters mixed in with the variants instead of waves with all new people and then mostly variants so that could help keep the line alive and give them time to get some more out. I'd hope we at least get the Ponds and Clara before the line dies out.

Chase Variant
Location: The wild, wild west, a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Postby Chase Variant » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:06 pm

kevin87 wrote:I think also one of the things is Funko makes so much these days, which isn't a bad thing unless you like a lot of stuff lol It's hard to keep up sometimes with the volume of stuff coming out, and Doctor Who came out relatively close together.

I think this is the real issue, not character selection. With Wave 1, places like Hot Topic had room to restock and keep Doctor Who a presence on the shelves for months. In the last year, so much stuff has been coming out that lines that aren't Marvel or Star Wars show up on the shelves briefly and never return.

Return to “Pop!”