The Dark Crystal figure collection

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Mystic Master

The Dark Crystal figure collection

Postby Mystic Master » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 pm

I was surprised a thread didn't exist for this topic already!

I picked up the Dark Crystal Landstrider & Jen set at TRU - I love it. Oddly enough, it was in the back corner of the store, beyond electronics! I cant get over how great this is - I'm committed to buying the entire line without a doubt. By the way, you can call your local store with the “R”Web#: 722045, and they can confirm whether they received a shipment.

Hopefully all the DC fans are buying the Landstrider set to support the line, its a fantastic 2-pack. The Garthim / Kira set isn't too far away, since its a NYCC exclusive, which is held in October, so they should be at TRU shortly after.

I opened mine, but I saved the box. I tend to be a loose collector, but I enjoyed the artwork and love the image on the back of the full series. Its also nice that they don't tape down all the box flaps, and the tape used inside the packaging to hold the accessory is reusable without any residue.

DARTHMARCO

Re: The Dark Crystal figure collection

Postby DARTHMARCO » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 pm

My daughter and I love the Landstrider and Jen set at TRU. We bought 4 of them, and my son plays with them without a problem. It makes them happy, but I want to keep at least one in the box. I cannot wait for the Garthim and Kira set, and hoping they are a shared exclusive with TRU.

My question is when are the rest of the figures coming out?

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:13 pm

I asked about that here:

index.php?mark_notification=210674&hash=b2997b35

Apparently the Kira / Garthim set isn't even confirmed for TRU. Here is the quote from ReisOBrien: "I'm not sure if it'll be at TRU. It will be a shared exclusive with some retail outlet, I'm just not sure which. And it should drop soon after NYCC." If it turns out not to be TRU, perhaps Hot Topic? No word on the basic line yet...

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:14 am

Or maybe Barnes & Noble.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:18 am

B&N would be the most likely candidate if not TRU.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm always excited when I find people who love this movies as much as I do (and Labyrinth too naturally). I ordered Landstrider and Jen from TRU. Shipping was free so it was a good deal. The box was so much bigger than I expected. I didn't know how I was going to feel about the figures being More detailed, but the level of detail on these small figures is amazing. Although I loved the real retro look and feel the figures had, the extra details go a long way.

I also got the Aughra POP at B&N, there was only one of her and Jen left.

I hope the Garthim/Kira set is TRU, it was so easy to order. If not then B&N would be great as well. I cannot wait for the rest of the figures. I know there's no plans for Labyrinth ReAction but since the POPs are out I'm hoping we'll get those also.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:05 pm

The great thing about the DC line is that it was designed decades ago for release, but it never happened - finally resurrected so many years later. Seeing the newly sculpted versions of those old figures makes me love them even more because of the fantastic detail. The retro articulation along with the deco and detailed sculpts make for a great product.

As for Labyrinth figures, I wouldn't be as attached to those, because DC holds a different place in my heart - I've been wanting figures from DC since I was a kid! I did buy the Ludo POP, but skipped the others - I can see potential in doing a line of action figures for that movie as well, so long as the sculpts were as detailed as DC.

Your Aughra looks good, I almost bought her yesterday at TRU, but the box was damaged and the deco wasn't all that great. I'm really more interested in the action figure version of her. I only own the Ursol POP so far - still waiting to see the Chamberlain in person, and might get Aughra if I find a nice one...

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:32 pm

I've been waiting for DC figures too. I would have loved the figures they had planned to make in the 80s, but at least we are getting them now. I also like the action figures better but when it's such rare characters I never see I at least wanted to get the POP of Aughra. DC and Labyrinth are at the same level with me, I love them both and they are up there with Nightmare Before Christmas, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Return of the Jedi in my top movies, so Any figures we get I'd love to have. I notice Reis keeps saying that they were lucky to get to make DC at all so I'm going to get whatever I can if it was so hard to get these figures out there. From what I've seen so far they have done an amazing job giving us DC.

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:22 pm

The reaction figures are awesome! I should have picked it up at TRU when I saw it but didn't "/

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Hopesdenial wrote:The reaction figures are awesome! I should have picked it up at TRU when I saw it but didn't "/

It's still available online and ships for free so you can always get it on there.

The new Garthim/Winged Kira set was revealed! It looks amazing ! \:D/

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Thank you I'll check it out after work.

ReActionator wrote:
Hopesdenial wrote:The reaction figures are awesome! I should have picked it up at TRU when I saw it but didn't "/

It's still available online and ships for free so you can always get it on there.

The new Garthim/Winged Kira set was revealed! It looks amazing ! \:D/

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 pm

ReActionator wrote:
Hopesdenial wrote:The new Garthim/Winged Kira set was revealed! It looks amazing ! \:D/

Amazing is an understatement. The edition size (500) isn't. This is going to be $$$ on the secondary market for a long time.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Cosmic_Cow wrote:
ReActionator wrote:
Hopesdenial wrote:The new Garthim/Winged Kira set was revealed! It looks amazing ! \:D/

Amazing is an understatement. The edition size (500) isn't. This is going to be $$$ on the secondary market for a long time.

I know, that LE size worries me a lot.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:57 am

That's only the amount they are selling at the convention, isn't it? Once a retail partner is secured, they should be easy to find, like the Landstrider. Are there actual boxed images of the final product yet? All I'm seeing is CGI previews in the Funko news section.

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Yeah, that LE size has me super worried as well. I want to go all-in on this line, I need a Garthim. Has anyone heard if it will be available elsewhere? Maybe (hopefully) the LE will have a different Fizgig like the Kira Pop Exclusive?

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Mystic Master wrote:That's only the amount they are selling at the convention, isn't it? Once a retail partner is secured, they should be easy to find, like the Landstrider. Are there actual boxed images of the final product yet? All I'm seeing is CGI previews in the Funko news section.

Ususally once it's printed with a number then that's all that's being produced which means that it's not going to be a retailer tie-in. The Landstrider was just an "Exclusive", it wasn't numbered.

As for boxed images, they showed it during the Funko Periscope announcement: https://www.periscope.tv/OriginalFunko/1PlKQeLdvpvKE

It looks AMAZING!!!

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 am

ReisOBrien already confirmed that the Kira & Garthim set is a shared exclusive as well, they just haven't announced which retailer - you guys shouldn't be worried. If they only produced 500, that likely wouldn't even cover their tooling budget for these figures.

As for an alternate Fizzgig, that comes with the basic Kira figure, as shown on the back of the Landstrider box.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:08 pm

According to BBTS, the DC basic line is due out next month:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/sear ... %20crystal

Shame they are charging more for Ursol and the Chamberlain. I'm hoping to find them at retail.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:40 pm

Mystic Master wrote:ReisOBrien already confirmed that the Kira & Garthim set is a shared exclusive as well, they just haven't announced which retailer - you guys shouldn't be worried. If they only produced 500, that likely wouldn't even cover their tooling budget for these figures.

As for an alternate Fizzgig, that comes with the basic Kira figure, as shown on the back of the Landstrider box.

I thought 500 was a very low number for figures too. When looking closer at my Landstrider/Jen from TRU the sticker on the front is different than the one directly from Comic-Con. If you look at the Kira box the sticker does say 500 for NYCC, so I guess thats only the number for the convention?? I also saw Reis saying this set would be through a second retailer like Landstrider/Jen. I'm not sure how this is going to work.

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:41 am

ReActionator wrote:When looking closer at my Landstrider/Jen from TRU the sticker on the front is different than the one directly from Comic-Con. If you look at the Kira box the sticker does say 500 for NYCC, so I guess thats only the number for the convention?

The TOTAL production number is still 500. Most of Funko's con LE's are sold in and out of the con and what you mentioned about the different stickers is standard procedure. If sold at the con they have the numbered sticker, if sold outside the con they get the more generic-looking unnumbered sticker. But the total of both is still 500 (or whatever the particular run is for a figure). So for example they might sell 200 of them with the con sticker and 300 with the generic one. It is frankly a rather confusing practice, all of them should get the numbered stickers!
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:03 pm

I don't see how that can be the case - Funko is going to only distribute 300 to TRU (or another retailer)? There are 864 TRU stores in the US alone. 500 is probably the number for the convention - thousands are likely being produced for retail. Even if each TRU only received 1 case (of 6 sets) per store, that's over five thousand. Funko would have to produce these in numbers higher than 500 to make a significant profit when you factor in the tooling and manufacturing costs.

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:04 pm

There's no way the total production run on ANYTHING with a unique sculpt/tooling will be limited to 500. That wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of the mold. They're making these to make money. There will be more than 500.

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:00 pm

That Garthlim alone makes me salivate. What a cool figure. I can't wait to get this set. I can't remember off-hand, but this set is supposed to have one of the shards to complete the crystal, right?
San Diego funatic

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:00 pm

The pieces of the crystal actually come with the basic carded figures. There are 4 large pieces and a base (one with each of the 5 basic figures) - Jen also has the tiny shard in his hand.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:56 pm

In case anyone had not seen, here are the basic figures in computer model form. I love all of them. I don't know if I want to take them off the card or keep them MOC. I've been waiting for these for so long. I do want to get all of them just so I have the set. The only character missing from what was supposed to come out in the 80s is the Podling and Podling slave. I wonder if we might get those or if this is it?

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:10 pm

ReActionator wrote:In case anyone had not seen, here are the basic figures in computer model form. I love all of them. I don't know if I want to take them off the card or keep them MOC. I've been waiting for these for so long. I do want to get all of them just so I have the set. The only character missing from what was supposed to come out in the 80s is the Podling and Podling slave. I wonder if we might get those or if this is it?

The Podlings were such an odd choice, even in the original Aviva line. IMHO, the only way I could see them ever being released would be something like an exclusive 2-pack. On their own at retail, they probably wouldn't sell as well as the others.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 am

I'd happily buy a Podling 2-pack, perhaps in a similar box like what Ursol is shipping in. They could add a small creature (Nebrie) or some Podling village accessories to fill out the box. I'd honestly love a whole exclusive pack devoted to creatures from the movie as well. I suppose it all depends on how when everything sells, and if a second wave is feasible.

LandoInDisguise

Postby LandoInDisguise » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am

That's a great idea, Mystic Master, that would be awesome!

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 pm

That would be a Great idea. The Podlings are so small two could probably fit on one card, but I like the beast pack idea. They are the only figures from the original line we haven't seen so I was curious if they would make an exclusive or if they got cut out all together. I really hope this line sells well.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Picked them up for my BFF at SDCC, he loves it! Overall these may be the best re-action figures FUnko has done to date.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 pm

When would the Dark Crystal line come out in retail????

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:When would the Dark Crystal line come out in retail????

It seems harder to pinpoint when they will hit retail. The preorder release says October. The Horror Mystery Minis series 3 also said October and they are popping up in many places, but not at any stores by me yet.

Has anyone heard about Garthim / Kira set? I don't see it on the shared retailers list.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 pm

In the Q&A thread it was first said to be a convention exclusive only, and then it was quickly fixed saying it would be a shared exclusive but no details were available. I don't get the secrecy - they should promote this line before it shows up at retail. Dark Crystal is what brought me into collecting Funko, but I don't understand their marketing, or lack thereof.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:57 am

Here is an update on Garthim/Kira from Reis from a different thread. It looks like it will be a shared exclusive, but no confirmed place. It might still have an LE # but at least there's a chance to get it.

ReisOBrien wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:
atreyu2112 wrote:Reis... where can we get the NYCC Garthim? I haven't seen anything from the retailers tha5 are carrying the shared exclusives so far... :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just found out that the Garthim 2-pack will only be available at NYCC and limited to 550 pieces. I was originally told that there was going to be a shared retailer, but that fell though. My apologies!

Wait! I just received an update! But we've got to work out the logistics. This will be a shared exclusive, but I can't comment any further until we work it all out. Disregard my last post! Whew!

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Hopefully they announce something this weekend, because if its not showing up at a retail store, I'd like to preorder it online. There's no way I'd ever give a scalper $100+ for a $25 item.

SSD_BCuz

Postby SSD_BCuz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Mystic Master wrote:Hopefully they announce something this weekend, because if its not showing up at a retail store, I'd like to preorder it online. There's no way I'd ever give a scalper $100+ for a $25 item.

It's still available from FPI if you need to get it from the UK.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/dark-c ... Path=9363&

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Hey gang, we're shooting for the Garthim 2-pack to hit reatail around Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

The bad news is that you'll have to wait a little longer, but the good news is that the Garthim should be as easy to find as the Landstrider! Woot!
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks man. Any hints as to where? TRU again?

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Awww thanks Reis for going above and beyond to get this thing out there for us fans! I know we gripe and moan when we don't necessarily get our ideal properties in the Reaction line, but it's not hard to tell that you yourself would like to see a lot of what's off the table made available. So unless you show up and punch me in the gut and say it's never, never, NEVER going to happen for some of those I can keep hope alive! Lol

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:26 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:Hey gang, we're shooting for the Garthim 2-pack to hit reatail around Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

The bad news is that you'll have to wait a little longer, but the good news is that the Garthim should be as easy to find as the Landstrider! Woot!

OMG thank you so much. These figures are amazing! I'm glad we'll all get the chance to complete the set. :bounce:

Return to “Action Figures”