It's kind of sad...

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Cameron Collectibles

It's kind of sad...

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I am trying really hard to keep the Collector Series alive but it appears that the Huckleberry Hound Bobble Cars maybe the end of an era. The last several Collector Series pieces have not been well received or supported by the collectors and I'm sad to say that I cannot justify carrying another Collector Series until I sell enough of this current one to at least break even. If you would like to see another Collector Series please offer your support or suggestions to get people back into collecting.
Last edited by Cameron Collectibles on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron Collectibles Seventh Anniversary 2002-2009
FunKo's 2006 Online Retailer of the Year
sales@cameroncollectibles.net

TERRYSTOYHOUSE
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby TERRYSTOYHOUSE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Thats a bummer! Seems that alot of collectors are starting to get burn out ! I have seen this happen in Baseball cards, action figures and Hotwheel cars. Many are selling now and not enough new people seem to want it ALL like many of us do (did).I still have Funko in my blood and love all the stuff being made.

Terry

P.S. ANYONE WHO HAS NOT PURCHASED THE HUCK CARS ARE MISSING OUT ON A BIG FAVORITE OF MINE!!!!
TERRYSTOYHOUSE HAS COOL STUFF!

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:06 pm

It is sad.

Just a few rambling suggestions.

First, keep them limited to no more than 48 or 96 of each.

Second, perhaps a Collector Series of the Month Club - similar to what I've seen for Beanie Babies. An annual up front fee to the club gets you one each of the series. This could assure sales. Down side... some of us may not want each of the items being offered, such as "if it ain't got a spring...".

Have a pre-sale - similar to Rick's 96 topics (no, I don't have any idea what our friend Rick is up to). Describe the potential next collector series item, and see who's interested. If enough are interested, then collect their $$. You should not be left holding the bag (or wobbler) for unsold items - after all you're not doing this to make a fortune - more like to help us out. Down side - a lot of work for you.

Not sure what the best answer is, but I know I have a problem in that I must limit my collection due to space restrictions. For example, as much as I like the bobble cars, I just have no room to park them.

If there's something I can do to help you out, please LMK. I'd love to see the series continue - even if it's only every 3 months.

Craig

Craig here......

shannon

Postby shannon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:43 pm

One more thing I forgot while I was away. #-o You know I want a set Brad. :D

Now, let me handle the sales{don't worry people, I don't mean the shipping}of the next CS and I promise It will be a sellout, even if I have to buy them all... as long as it's not another Glow Fuska! [-X

dork
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby dork » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:53 pm

I am always one to defend all the new licenses, and the fact that Funko is a business. But it's also got a double edge. You can't buy everything. (Well, not all of us anyhoo!)

With everything coming out, I really have to pick and choose what I want. Before it was easy to buy something that wasn't really up my alley and maybe stash it away for a trade or a gift. Now, with soooo many products out there, i just buy what i want for myself or the kiddies.

mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby mrcory5000 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:22 pm

I don't think collectors are getting burnt out, as Terry suggested, but collectors are much pickier with their purchases today as Funko's catalog increases in size, as do their items (from bobble cars to life-size Freddy). Personally, I'd much rather have a Glow Huck minus the Bobble Car because it's easier for me to display.

swobobafett
Hall of Fame Class of 2007

Postby swobobafett » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:46 pm

I don't collect the bobble cars, I had to stop somewhere due to space. I've also been very picky in regards to the banks and variants lately. I hope you don't have to take a loss on them.
Funko Funbae

kevinbuddha

Postby kevinbuddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:08 pm

The only collector's series exclusive that I passed on was the glow fuska. As others have pointed out, Funko's catalog of stuff has increased greatly. There are a lot of great new products but I cannot afford to collect them all, much less have the space to store/display them. I do not collect spastiks, the bobble cars vary as to what I buy (it is character driven), I will not be collecting the FunkoVision and the banks are also something I pick and choose (due to display room).

The one thing I have stayed current with is the wobblers. They are what attracted me to Funko almost 8 years ago. However, some of the licenses I pass on like the Family Guy and some of the future ones coming I will also pass on. One of my favorite things was the Triple Treats and now they have been discontinued. I understand Funko's need to grow and expand the business, but there is no way I can keep up with all of it.

You should not have to "eat it" on the collector series Brad. That is certainly not fair to you and I am sure Ron took a beating on a few of them too. There is no easy answer Brad. I hope something can be figured out. I always enjoyed the anticipation of what the next collector series piece was going to be. I will miss that.
Minnesota.....where the Sleestaks & Pakuni run free!

Funko's Official Historian

yoohooal

Postby yoohooal » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:10 pm

That's really too bad. I think it's a case of space limitations, more than people getting burned out - I know that's the case with me. You can't have it all. Where would you put it!? Maybe one solution is, like Craig said, limit them to a 48 or 96. People are going to complain about that, too, but it's better than discontinuing the exclusives or having Brad stuck with a lot of unsold stock.
:glasses1:

shannon

Postby shannon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Brad, when you've let the Huck car sales run it course, let me know and I will pick up the rest... I know some kids who would love them.

Brian@Funko

Postby Brian@Funko » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Guys:

I understand all your points. I even have made several comments saying I undertsand everyone's need to not buy all of lines (EXCEPT HANNA BARBERA DAMMIT!!! PLEASE SUPPORT THE NEED FOR BREEZLY, SNEEZLY, RUFF, REDDY, FRANKENSTEIN JR...etc..)

I am willing to do anaything to keep the Collector Series going..But it is hard with LICENSED stuff to get approvals for only 96 pieces, which really only leaves non licesned 7" wobblers(WE can do osme cool Lounge series stuff).

I am committed, but it must make sense for Brad!

Please remember for my personal sake only... that FUNKOVISION (at least the H-B ones) does need your support(again only for the most selfish of reasons and my love for all that is Hanna Babera!)

But it sounds like 7" wobblers are the way to go! Brad and I wil put on our thinking cap!

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Space IS a big issue...i still collect everything that wobbles, plus...but the big items become a problem...i think the computer toppers will fit on our existing shelves if they aren't too tall...the wobblers are the best and the mini wobblers fit real nice...love anything Huck tho !!

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:00 am

I bought 2 of the GLOW Fuska's :eek: !!!
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:22 am

I would love to purchase collector's series, but I am not a member of the club so that of course restricts me from doing so.

On a side note, I collect a lot of crap. Mainly action figures and Wobblers.
But I collect Star Wars figures, Hellboy, Universal Monsters, NHL figures, misc horror stuff and more. As far as Funko, I LOVE the advertising Wobblers best!
The Monster cereal stuff is what attracted me first. I mainly collect Wobblers, but I also have around 25-30 Spastiks as well and 3 banks and 1 huge Chocula wobbler. So I jump around a bit there. I do not really car for some of the stuff like Betty Boop, Looney Tunes. But I do dig the advertising AND Hanna B. cause I grew up on that stuff going to King's Island theme park back in my home state of Ohio. I am a child of the 70s and proud of it. I think when a company offers and/or has a bigger selection of licenses and variety of toys that shows not only are they growing, but they must be doing something right. Sure, not all of us can afford or have space for every single Funko piece. But think of all the new collectors some of the future lines are going to bring into our world! Cartoon Network alone is going to appeal to a huge audience that perhaps never even heard of Funko. It is a weird transition, but it does smooth out in time. Hit and misses, let hope Brian has more hits than misses in the long run. I have faith that he will. :)

chester
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Postby chester » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:07 am

I really like a lot of the stuff that funko is putting out.It's just that cash is tight, and so many new wobblers are coming out. I am running out of space to put them.I can't see buying them if i'm not going to be able to display them. I just collect what i really have to have. I really like the idea of a collectors series, but i don't think any of them really stand out! I don't think anyone says that they are their favorites,and a must have.(except those who collect everything) Maybe i'm wrong. Just my :twocents:

chester

Postby chester » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:10 am

I do like the idea Brian had about the lounge series stuff. I love all of them.I would look forward to those.

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:29 am

Well, I hope we can come up with a positive solution to keep the Collector Series alive. I am proud to host the Collector Series and would be extremely disappointed to have to give it up but I also can't keep stockpiling the unsold pieces. Pumpkin King mentions he does not buy them because he is not a member of the FunKlub. I don't think it is very expensive to sign up and would suggest anyone who loves FunKo to do so. I am going to remove the restrictions on the Huckleberry Hound Bobble Cars and open them up to everyone and the quantities are also unlimited.

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Nice!

It isn't that expensive, right. But when you already have to pick and choose what you can afford it does add a bit to the overall cost. But I fully understand why the club costs money, that is in part what makes it exclusive! :)

wobblemecrazy

Postby wobblemecrazy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm

isn't there a way of joining the club and pay for the membership online? That could increase the number of members even worldwide, including myself.
:D :D :D :D

I want more monster wobblers!!!!

kevinbuddha

Postby kevinbuddha » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:44 pm

wobblemecrazy wrote:isn't there a way of joining the club and pay for the membership online? That could increase the number of members even worldwide, including myself.

I would agree 100%
Minnesota.....where the Sleestaks & Pakuni run free!

Funko's Official Historian

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:Nice!

It isn't that expensive, right. But when you already have to pick and choose what you can afford it does add a bit to the overall cost. But I fully understand why the club costs money, that is in part what makes it exclusive! :)

I did not mean to pick on you Pumpkin King. You know your business is always appreciated. What you said about not buying the Collector Series due to not being a member made me think that there might be others that have not bought because they were not aware of the benefits of being a FunKo FunKlub Member. I understand now that it may be a hardship for some to join and that is why I lifted the restrictions for purchasing the Huckleberry Hound Bobble Car Set. I hope that makes sense without being offensive.

Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Cameron Collectibles wrote:
What you said about not buying the Collector Series due to not being a member made me think that there might be others that have not bought because they were not aware of the benefits of being a FunKo FunKlub Member.

I guess I must be a little bit lost. I understand what everyone is saying and do agree with many Funatics. I joined the FunKo FunKlub just last year and am a little confused. I guess I'm really curious and not understanding, nor aware of the benefits of being a FunKlub Member. Anyone willing to fill me in??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Parrothead wrote:I guess I must be a little bit lost. I understand what everyone is saying and do agree with many Funatics. I joined the FunKo FunKlub just last year and am a little confused. I guess I'm really curious and not understanding, nor aware of the benefits of being a FunKlub Member. Anyone willing to fill me in??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

It used to be that members were the only ones that had access to the Collector Series and FunKo from time to time would offer a special release like the 20" Glow Tiki and the 24" Glow Rat Fink to members only. You have joined during a down time but that could change. I also believe that you have to be a member in order to attend Funday unless you are invited as a special guest. I assume you received a special Freddy FunKo Wobbler and some stickers as well as a certificate for your membership fee. I'm sure Brian could enlighten us on other benefits.

Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Thank you Brad.

videguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby videguy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:43 pm

wobblemecrazy wrote:isn't there a way of joining the club and pay for the membership online? That could increase the number of members even worldwide, including myself.

Chrissy you can join using my address if need be, will just add to the extra wobblers arriving here, lol. Let me know.
John there

June 2008 Collector of the Month

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

http://www.funkospreadsheet.com

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:54 am

Oh no offense taken, Brad! Some company's collector clubs you have to pay to join, some you do not. It is just that simple. I generally tend to trade or buy (Ebay) collector's series rather than pay a premium to be allowed to buy a certain exclusive.

In thinking about this further today, I think maybe a exclusive might need to be an original piece rather than a "glow" or repaint of some sort to generate more buzz. Like say, everyone wanting a wobbler of the Hostess Fruit Pie Magician. You either join the club and get him as a collectors club exclusive or you don't get him at all for example. Huck might have been an exclusive but maybe it should have been buzzed a bit more by making less of the red version than the regular blue and only being able to buy the red if you buy the both as a set. But the reg blue would still be available as a single as well. Make sense?
As far as unloading the rest of Huck, why not try it at SDCC? The Funko booth usually sells out of all stock by the end of the con.

wobblemecrazy

Postby wobblemecrazy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:39 am

videguy wrote:

Chrissy you can join using my address if need be, will just add to the extra wobblers arriving here, lol. Let me know.

lol, guess your mail man has been having quite some extra handling to do... :D
:D :D :D :D

I want more monster wobblers!!!!

Brian@Funko

Postby Brian@Funko » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 am

Guys:

You can join the club online by paypaling the payment to brian@funko.com and putting FunKlub in the payment info....

So people understand, we spend thousands of dollars per mold on each wobbler. IN addition our factory has a minimum of at least 3000 pieces per wobbler. So it is impossible to do a new sculpt for a collector series...

HOW ABOUT EARLY RELEASES??? FunKlub members get wobblers before everyone else? That might be an idea???

Or we could do a small chaser run of slightly different base colors or something for all members limited to the first 96 .....

Just my thoughts, but we could do chasers with each new wobbler...

B.

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:41 am

Brian, we talked about doing a chase piece and I thought it was a good idea. Mike Becker used to do a 480 and blend them in the cases but the dealers would grab them all and overcharge for them. If I remember correctly we talked about sealing the wobblers in black plastic so no one could see the wobbler inside without tampering with it or putting the wobbler in backwards and then sealing it. I don't know that it would be considered a member benefit but it would be fun especially with Easter coming.

swobobafett

Postby swobobafett » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Why is everyone picking on the Glow Fuska? I actually liked him!

I'm all for the idea of the lounge series, as those are some of my favorites. I'm also excited for Funkovision, and I'm sure that there will be plenty of those at Comic Con this year!
Funko Funbae

prudemonkey
Hall of Fame Class of 2008
Hall of Fame Class of 2008

Postby prudemonkey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:44 pm

My collection is still 99% Wacky Wobblers - I just simply do not have the money, time or space to collect all of the other variants such as Banks, Cars, etc.... I have a few of each, especially the ones that I really love (cereal characters to name one), but my core collection is and always will be wobblers. So, collectors club piece or not, if it is not a wobbler, I probably won't purchase it (glow fuska included!) That will remain true until I win the powerball on Wednesday.

chester

Postby chester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:10 pm

OK, here's a suggestion.When i think of the collectors club i think of what most people on this board want.WOBBLERS! I would say that is 90% of the collectors club is made up of those people. What items are talked about the most? Well what i hear alot of is advertising wobbler,Freddy, and glow in the dark.People liked the idea of the variations.they just felt let down. the collectors series seemed not up to funko standards (1/2 glow count, no glow lucky).People love Freddy and you could do so many variation's of him. I think most of the collectors on this board try to get all the Freddy's they can.if you limited him to 96 pieces and they were done well(like alien variations, night of the living dead Freddy,and Vegas Freddy) they would sell very well.If I'm gonna make room in my collection for a wobbler i want it to be exciting to me.I would love to see a glow alien Freddy, a black and white zombie Freddy,Santa Freddy, a black and white Elvis Freddy, or a guitar wielding rock and roll Freddy.how about a green glow gazoo,black and white Mr. peanut,glow green zombie Freddy,black and white Dracula Freddy.I really would hate for the collectors series to go away.it does make us collectors feel like you really care about us.We really do appreciate you trying to make it work Brian.

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 pm

I thought most members were burned out on the amount of Freddy pieces that have come out? I have been encouraging Brian to slow down on Freddy to keep him special. It's been at least a year since I put up a 96 piece Glow Cameron Freddy and it's still not sold out and there are still 12" Halloween Freddy Bobble Banks left for sale and that was only 50 pieces so I don't think people are ready for more Freddy variations but that is just my opinion.

chester

Postby chester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:46 pm

Hey brad, I don't mean to put it down, but there is really nothing all that special about that glow Freddy, I thought that the thanksgiving one was also boring. I think that is how most of the collectors feel. Make Freddy fun.I said in my post to make him special also.With all the artistic minds at funko i know they can come up with some great idea. (look at all those mini Freddie's) Collector were trying to snatch up all of the variations this past summer. They were cute and took up little space..As far as the Halloween variation's I LOVE THEM! They are just too big! After collecting for 5 years. I am running out of space.

chester

Postby chester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Is there a way on this board where we can take a survey of what we would like to see in the collector series? This may help to see what the collector are looking for?for instance
a. Freddy
b.more black and whites
c.advertising characters
d.glows
e.mini wobbler
f. color variations
Is there a way for collectors to give their ideal of variations that they would like to see done? maybe the collectors could post some ideal of variation that can be made using the old molds.maybe even sketching up some drawings That would make a great contest! Then Brian could pick the winner. Just a thought.

Augie

Postby Augie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:26 pm

Personally, being an "Older than Dirt" Funatic, I just get a little frustrated because I can't keep up with so many releases. For years I was a completest, because I had the money to keep up with everything Funko.

And now that my financial situation has worsened, I can hardly afford anything. The faster pieces come out the more I feel like I'm missing out on so much. But thanks to my Funko Family, I still get BOF's in the mail that mean so much and I FEEL THE LOVE! But even more than that, I've forged so many friendships that no amount of money can buy.

And, I do understand that for Brian, Brad and some others, in addition to being collectors, this is their business and livelihood.

Unless something big turns around for me, I'll probably be absent from FFD again this year, but please don't think of me as less of a Funatic, because I can't make it. I'll be there in spirit. ;-)

Did I stray from the topic? Sorry! :rolleyes: I just thought maybe some other Family members have the same thought.

swobobafett

Postby swobobafett » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

I hope to one day have a very large room to display all of my collections. Funko is still my true love though. The expression on someone's face when you tell them you have over 400 bobbleheads/wobblers is priceless. Then when they finally see them all in person, it's even better. I take pride in having something very unique.

I like all the Freddies, but I'm glad he's slowed down a bit. I still want the Super Freddy and Gold Suit Freddy and I'll get one eventually come hell or high water.

I always believed the collector series should be once a quarter to keep it really special and have it be something that totally knocks your socks off. The Halloween Freddy Banks were perfect in my opinion. They took a standard mold and then an artist came in and designed something for it.

I was thinking about one of the cooler pieces I picked up in the last couple years or so and it was the Tofu wobbler from Comic Con that the artist could draw on. Every one was unique.

I don't know if it's possible (or how much it could cost) to have artists create their own Freddy designs, like they do with other vinyl toys (like Dunnys, Munnys, etc.) and maybe put their name across the sign that he's holding. It's unique and pretty cool to have. Call it the Artist Series or something. They wouldn't have to be hand drawn like the Tofu, but they could still be original.

I'm just throwing that out there to see if anyone else thinks that's a cool idea or not?
Funko Funbae

shannon

Postby shannon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 pm

I love the wobblers, but right now I love the larger items. We're really looking forward to Funkovision! As far as the CS goes... would love to see HB proto series continued... do em all! :D

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:06 pm

I agree that there are all kinds of Freddy variations that can be made but they still have to be limited to what bodies are already available because a new body means a minimum of 3000 pieces like Brian said earlier. If you think about it Freddy has only had one original body and all of the rest were borrowed from other characters. I'm not sure but I think some licensed pieces cannot be used period even if you are just using the body so I am limited to what I can afford.

videguy

Postby videguy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 pm

How about more cereal characters as Pez dispensers, they all look cool so far. Even doing a larger run on the ones already done.
John there

June 2008 Collector of the Month

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

http://www.funkospreadsheet.com

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”