It's kind of sad...

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 am

Cameron Collectibles wrote:Brian, we talked about doing a chase piece and I thought it was a good idea. Mike Becker used to do a 480 and blend them in the cases but the dealers would grab them all and overcharge for them. If I remember correctly we talked about sealing the wobblers in black plastic so no one could see the wobbler inside without tampering with it or putting the wobbler in backwards and then sealing it. I don't know that it would be considered a member benefit but it would be fun especially with Easter coming.

Not intending to offend my wobbler pimp Brad, but I, for one, would not be interested in buying any wobbler that may turn out to be special. I need to know what I am buying before I commit to buy. I don't want to spend $$ on something on the chance it could be special.

I do like the idea of some chase pieces, but they would need to have some major differences from the standard. Different base color is a good start. How about special printing on the front of the base? All of them signed by Rob S. Wilky / Brian? Color changes on the wobblers bodies / heads? Tattoos? Designs on their bodies (sim'l to Cameron logo on Freddy)? Freddy Funclub Artist Series?

School Lunch Freddy (dat ok, Jim?).....

Craig here......

swobobafett
Hall of Fame Class of 2007

Postby swobobafett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am

That's what I said, an artists series. Is that possible?
Funko Funbae

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 am

Craig, the chase piece would be like the Blondie Haired Pez Nurse as opposed to the Brown Haired Pez Nurse. It would not be something completely different. It might be a bit of a hassle if you wanted the regular version but I'm sure someone would trade you a 3000 piece run for your 480. Just an idea the final decision is always Brian's.

An artist series might get expensive depending on who the artist was and what percentage they requested.

And people don't worry about offending me. This is your Collector Series I just want something that members will buy.

What do you think of limiting the Collector Series to 4 times a year and doing a seasonal or holiday theme for each?
Cameron Collectibles Seventh Anniversary 2002-2009
FunKo's 2006 Online Retailer of the Year
sales@cameroncollectibles.net

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 am

It appears so far only 10 people besides Brian and I are contributing to this discussion. What do the rest of you people think?

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 am

Did you count me ??

You know I buy everything .. so I don't count ..

Hell .. I'll even buy a Pete Puma .. if it ever gets made .. :blush:
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

lovetheangels
Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Postby lovetheangels » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:50 am

Hey Brad maybe when you sell the collector series piece you could have a drawing of some sorts where one or two people who bought could win the proto of that piece. I bought 2 of those purple fat fink car banks for a chance on a proto. Protos are usually very sought after. The collector series booberry is what got me started with funko. I bought the first 8 collector series but fell off after that. The wide variety and space constraints are the biggest factor. Good luck Brad and I will help rack my brain also.

Brian@Funko

Postby Brian@Funko » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:03 am

Keep the ideas coming people!
Some really good suggestions here.

More input is always welcome.
Afterwards maybe we could do a poll....

FFJim
HoF 2007 & CotY
HoF 2007 & CotY

Postby FFJim » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 am

If it bobbles, I need it. Send one of every Wacky Wobbler, including all variants, to me. As long as that happens, I'm cool with everything.

shannon

Postby shannon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

If you put the Smart Alex head, on the Hollywood Betty Boop body and Jarkbark on the base, I'd buy a few.

=D>

swobobafett

Postby swobobafett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 pm

I've said in the past that seasonal is a great idea, keeps it special and gives you something to look forward to. One per quarter. Valentines Day/St Patrick's Day/Winter/Easter, Summer/4th of July, Halloween/Thanksgiving/Back to School and Christmas/Hannukah (Rabbi Freddy anyone?)
Funko Funbae

FFJim
HoF 2007 & CotY
HoF 2007 & CotY

Postby FFJim » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:48 pm

How about some of the creative "customs" from Fundays? Freddy in drag, Gilligan's Island castaways, etc? Make them the "Collector's Customs Series".

FFJim
HoF 2007 & CotY
HoF 2007 & CotY

Postby FFJim » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Alleycat wrote:School Lunch Freddy (dat ok, Jim?).....

I see requests for these ever now and then. So Brad wouldn't get stuck with lots of them, I would be willing to handle the sales if I could offer them to people not in the FunKlub.

kevinbuddha

Postby kevinbuddha » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:24 pm

I think one per quarter is a great idea! That way there is no overkill and they could be holiday themed if desired. I think 4 times a year is better than once a month.
Minnesota.....where the Sleestaks & Pakuni run free!

Funko's Official Historian

prudemonkey
Hall of Fame Class of 2008

Postby prudemonkey » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:09 pm

okay more 2 cents worth -

Collectors Series is great - when available to the FunKlub members - there should be some exclusivity for those who joined.

Once a quarter seems like plenty since new wobblers are coming out at a rate like never before.

I like the idea of the pre-buy with a twist. A small run of 48 or 96 or whatever is determined with a different colored base and possible wording (Collector Series) and some slight variation that is available through the FunKlub prior to the regular wobblers release.

I also miss some of the search missions that used to go on - with maybe a small run of wobblers getting mixed into different boxes as Brad had mentioned. How cool was it to just stumble onto a wobbler that you didn't have?? I used to check stores like Spencers, Hot Topic, a local music store and a few others that just happened to carry bobble heads, and that is where I found my pink tongue charlie and a few other variants that I stumbled on. I know completists may not like this idea as much as it becomes much harder to find every wobbler out there, but to randomly acquire a low run wobbler for $9.95 somewhere is a great feeling for a collector! (I gave up on being a completist a long time ago!)

FunKlub - how about a quarterly newsletter or an email alert to those who are members of upcoming events and wobblers etc.. I know that is what we use the boards for, but I am sure not all members are on the boards, such as some of the people I sat with at FunDays last year. Other clubs that I am in send out things religiously once or twice a year. I wouldn't even be opposed to paying $xx per year to be a member with a special wobbler mailed out with your membership (such as the original FunKlub Freddy) - Pearl Jam sends out a record or disk every year at Christmas time along with a nice catalog or small booklet about the previous year. (I think I pay like $30 per year for that membership)

Anyway, just some random thoughts while I am sitting here suffering through a case of strep throat!

xHEMLOCKx
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Postby xHEMLOCKx » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I love the exclusives. I think a limited chase/funklub/ pre-sale variant would be awesome on some of the wobblers. but I also really like the spastiks too and would like to see more funklub variations on those as well. maybe only do the variations on the original funko pieces like the lounge series. I think quartely would be a great idea too. there are so many new pieces coming out that it is hard to make room for an additional new piece every month and i think it would be a little more special if it only happened 4 times a year.
Hi, I am Bo

Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. - Lincoln

We need Dr. Seuss and Peewee Herman POP!

mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby mrcory5000 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Limiting the Collector Series to each quarter sounds like a good idea (to me, anyways).

Here's an idea for Funko: 20" Grateful Dead bears of multiple colors. I may be running out of room, but I'd gladly make room for 5 decoratively boxed 20" Dead Bears! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one! And for Make-A-Wish, I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks for a 20" Glow Bear limited to just 48 pieces!

One thing nearly every Funatic can agree on is Freddy is a truly great character. I loved his larger head (with crown), but I still dig the smaller noggin. There have also been a ton of Freddy's released over the past couple years that were good, but not great. And for my first couple years, every Freddy was great. The Freddy's at the 2004 Comic Con were some of the best!

And finally, what happened to the prototype sets Funko was going to put on eBay for charities? There were the McDonald's and GM Monster sets, but nothing else to my knowledge.

[/list]

dork
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby dork » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:26 pm

I dig the Funko originals, anything original and monstery, i'm in!!

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm

If we can't have originals, then definately glow or black/white...freddies are a shoe-in...how about an american idol freddy with a microphone ? Maybe based on classic tv shows ? Leave it to Beaver Freddy ?

swobobafett

Postby swobobafett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 pm

a glow black and white Pete the Pepper will do. It could be part of the "inside joke" series. Then you can add Smokey the Bear Pez, T.U.B.A. and some more. Heck, I say go ahead with the chrome Albert Einstein or Grandpa Munster.

In all seriousness, how funny would a Smokey Pez be? for real this time?
Funko Funbae

itchykorean
Hall of Fame Class of 2005

Postby itchykorean » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:20 pm

i just want a scented charlie the tuna.
Original Funko FunKlub Member 0004
Hall Of Fame Class 2005

Cameron Collectibles

Postby Cameron Collectibles » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:32 am

I'd say we are done here.

kevinbuddha

Postby kevinbuddha » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:44 am

itchykorean wrote:i just want a scented charlie the tuna.

Now you know only Jay & Candace have those!

FFJim
HoF 2007 & CotY
HoF 2007 & CotY

Postby FFJim » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:28 am

Sitting on hundreds of Meal Magic wobblers I completely understand Brad's frustration. I justified our cost by hoping to get 50 Funatics to buy the second edition, but I haven't come close by a long shot. Cutting the price hasn't made a dent in my inventory.

It is disappointing to see the sharp down swing in collectors. When 48's are commonplace on eBay, there obviously is a huge lack of Funatics. I fretted last year's Fundays for fear of not getting all the 48's but I really had nothing to worry about -- and it would have been a lot cheaper to wait for eBay!

If there aren't enough collectors to grab 48 pieces, then trying to find 200 for a Collector Series edition seems impossible.

Indeed, sad, but I am a Funatic and will continue my pursuit of owning every Funko Wacky Wobbler produced. It's an enjoyable obsession.

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 pm

I have to agree with Jim .. that it is a distressing fact that the "diehard" collector has left for a vacation. With the nature of collecting this happens, it runs in cycles. Even with the influx of newer product lines even the above-average collector can get "bored" with what they collect. They take breaks when they believe things get stagnant, whether from lack of interest or move on to other collections.

Personally .. I have collected Funko for more time then any other collection (except comics when I was young) .. and the Funko company is the only one I have tried to promote so vigorously with a continually updating web site, and updating a spreadsheet for collector to use as a checklist. So .. whether the Collector's Series continues or not .. in whatever capacity .. it needs to go with the flow of the collectible.

If it works .. don't try to fix it .. If it's not working .. let's fix it ..

Scale it down .. make it quarterly .. when the flow of Funatics dictates we should have more .. build it back up ..

Also .. not to offend anyone ..but it should be available to FunKlub Members only .. being in the FunKlub makes you a complete Funatic .. and a true supporter of Funko .. not just an average or casual collector.

Finally .. I can't collect everything Funko .. but I sure can try ..!!!
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

chester

Postby chester » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:10 pm

I just don't think that people have the room for all the wobblers to collect every color variation.they just takes up too much space. You are lucky you have a work place to display them in Jim.Most people only have a small room to display them.I personally only need one variations. I am much more picky as to the wobblers that i purchase. Money is really tight for me and so is space.as much as i love them, they are not going in every room of my house. I know that i don't speak for every collector but i'm sure there are many collectors that live in apartments, trailers ,or small houses. It doesn't make sense to me to buy them only to box them up and put them in storage.I think 200 for tha collectors series is too many.there are just too many great wobblers coming out.

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Brian, and Brad.....

How about another suggestion for a 48 LE collectors series WW from existing parts bin. If the permissions would not be an issue, I thing this could be a sell out -

FrankenFreddy

Frankenberry body with Freddy head. Head would be color coordinated to the body. Maybe something from the parts bin could be stuck to his head???

Frankenberry 48 series - similar to Fundays 2006 Atomic Freddys. Different colors along with a glow.

Another possibility.... Boxer Freddy (Mr. T / Rocky body with freddy head. Head would be painted with cuts and bruises).

Craig here......

Seymore Wobblers

Postby Seymore Wobblers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:25 pm

I love my Huck cars (I have both.) :love4:

itchykorean

Postby itchykorean » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Alleycat wrote:Brian, and Brad.....

How about another suggestion for a 48 LE collectors series WW from existing parts bin. If the permissions would not be an issue, I thing this could be a sell out -

FrankenFreddy

Frankenberry body with Freddy head. Head would be color coordinated to the body. Maybe something from the parts bin could be stuck to his head???

Frankenberry 48 series - similar to Fundays 2006 Atomic Freddys. Different colors along with a glow.

Another possibility.... Boxer Freddy (Mr. T / Rocky body with freddy head. Head would be painted with cuts and bruises).

damn it! let's do a rock and roll freddy already. :smt035
Hall Of Fame Class 2005

Jack In The Box

Postby Jack In The Box » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:44 pm

My biggest issue with collecting is money and has now become space. I used to collect all bobble heads (Neca, whatever else I cold find) but Funko changed that. Now I only buy Funko Bobble heads but just don't have the moey or space for any of the other lines. I do like the Funko Vision and will probably buy one or two to see if I really like them enough to buy more. I st gt overwhelmed by the amount o wobblers that are released.

I think a quarterly collectors edition would be best and doing the holiday thing would be good as long as it wast over done. Maybe doing a poll of what people would like to see as a collectors edition piece. Also seasonal pieces for occasions such as Football seson or Baseball season or the upcoming Presidential elections, tings like that.

Funko is still the best.
Homer: There's your giraffe, little girl.
Ralph Wiggum: I'm a boy.
Homer: That's the spirit. Never give up.

Quisp

Postby Quisp » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Funko got me started on my collection. I work in advertising, so I collect advertising wobblers. I love all of the HB and WB cartoon stuff, but I learned the hard way that I try to limit what I collect. I think I have every collector's and ComicCon advertising wobbler that's advertising related, except for one or two that slipped by me.

Anyway, lots of good ideas on the collector's series. Here are a few of mine. Maybe not the most practical but who knows? Maybe they could lead to something else?

1. Collector's Boxes
This could be anything from a special Fruity Pebbles box for Fred Flintstone to a special Johnny Quest anniversary box or Johnny Quest Tiki Warrior from one of the episodes (using Freaky Tiki head and Sprout body)? For sure some licensing issues could arise here...

2. Dioramas
I know this is a little out there...but how about a box that works as a display scene. This would be great for the Simpsons, HB, WB and even the advertising stuff. Bigger box, bigger window with printing of a scene on the inside?

3. Customs
The photos of the customs from ComicCon get more amazing every year. Any chance these could be reproduced and sold as a "collector" only item? Possibly, if they use stock parts and don't require licensing. The box could even feature a photo of the design team on the back.

jarkbark

Postby jarkbark » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:55 pm

shannon wrote:If you put the Smart Alex head, on the Hollywood Betty Boop body and Jarkbark on the base, I'd buy a few.

=D>

Rick, what a great idea!!! I would buy a few too! :razz:

Otto13

Postby Otto13 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Size matters and so does the space.

At one time I had every Wacky Wobbler except the Lefty Lime. Although I never considered myself one of the big spenders…I paid over $500 for one of the 48s and was thrilled to receive it. I also liked hunting down Wobblers as well as working with other collectors getting leads on say…a blond haired PEZ nurse on the east coast or GAMA clown in Las Vegas…and then heading out to score them…it was the hunt. It was fun!

Now…I can pre-order…

Mind you, I understand the business end of all of this but the kid in my likes to get together with my friends and look for Wacky Wobblers like we did when we went to our local stream or pond to catch frogs and turtles way back when…

Now I am in a different mind set. I like the idea of collecting certain kinds of Funko Wobblers. I love my (complete) set of PEZ Wobblers as well as the cereal Wobblers. The Diablos and Bone Daddys will never leave my wall and the 20” ers are durable and kid tested and throughout my classroom. I will always enjoy Funko’s product. Whether it was Mike or is Brian…the quality is superior and the ideas are always neat to see (Yes, I love the Funko Vison and the 20” ers and the Funko Customs and the banks…) but my walls are full and my time is now limited.

I plan on going to the Comic Con for many more years to come, simply for the event itself. Meanwhile, there is always the childlike anticipation when I walk thorough the doors at the San Diego Convention Center to rush over to the Funko booth to see what Brian has for us each year. When I rounded the corner last year and approached the Funko booth I was floored by the 7’ Wally Gator & Frankenberry. WHOA! Yea…I am now wondering what the minds of Funko will do this year and I already know that I will not be disappointed…Funko has NEVER disappointed me. (Wait!…the RHR were a bit of a bummer!)

Collecting variations is a choice…collecting is a choice. Selling is a gamble. When these two opposites come together for a mutually exclusive reason…all are happy. When not…we move forward or move on.

Now if’n Funko made a 20” Smokey the Bear…who wouldn’t buy one?
New York ....................................Paris...............................Chula Vista

itchykorean

Postby itchykorean » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 pm

Otto13 wrote:Now if’n Funko made a 20” Smokey the Bear…who wouldn’t buy one?

only if it's the pez version.
Hall Of Fame Class 2005

swobobafett

Postby swobobafett » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 pm

SMOKEY PEZ SMOKEY PEZ SMOKEY PEZ!!!!!
Funko Funbae

Rat Fink Dennis

Postby Rat Fink Dennis » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Alleycat wrote:Brian, and Brad.....

FrankenFreddy

Now your talking. I would TOTALLY buy a franken freddy.
ROTY CC 2007
COTM January 2008
COTY CC 2008
HOF CC 2010
LEMMY WOBBLER FOR '11
Founding member of the "WOW MOM" Crew '08

kevinbuddha

Postby kevinbuddha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 pm

itchykorean wrote:
Otto13 wrote:Now if’n Funko made a 20” Smokey the Bear…who wouldn’t buy one?

only if it's the pez version.

Hey sign me up for one too!

lovetheangels

Re: It's kind of sad...

Postby lovetheangels » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Ah the good old days
Ken here

bspears82

Re: It's kind of sad...

Postby bspears82 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:15 am

This is sad to hear :(