The Dark Crystal figure collection

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
DARTHMARCO

Re: The Dark Crystal figure collection

Postby DARTHMARCO » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:36 am

ReisOBrien wrote:Hey gang, we're shooting for the Garthim 2-pack to hit reatail around Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

The bad news is that you'll have to wait a little longer, but the good news is that the Garthim should be as easy to find as the Landstrider! Woot!

That is great news. Thank you Mr. Reis, your wonderful team, especially Nena the queen of gates, that made it happened, and FUNKO ReAction for supporting the Dark Crystal fans.

Do you know when they would announce the shared retailer?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:13 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:Hey gang, we're shooting for the Garthim 2-pack to hit reatail around Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

The bad news is that you'll have to wait a little longer, but the good news is that the Garthim should be as easy to find as the Landstrider! Woot!

That is great news. Thank you Mr. Reis, your wonderful team, especially Nena the queen of gates, that made it happened, and FUNKO ReAction for supporting the Dark Crystal fans.

Do you know when they would announce the shared retailer?

As soon as we know, you'll know. :)
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

LandoInDisguise

Postby LandoInDisguise » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:56 pm

I was able to have a friend in the U.S. forward the Jen and Landstrider to me and it arrived on my doorstep today safe and sound. I was pretty excited to finally have them in hand, the Dark Crystal was one of my favorite films growing up and since there were never any toys available, 20+ years made for some tough anticipation to appease. I have to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of digital sculpting and prototyping on toys, I still feel the traditional wax sculpting gives better results, so my expectations were adjusted accordingly. After opening up the set, I just have to vent my first gut reaction here, because Funko nocked this one straight out of the park! The figures are of an amazing quality, truly the best stuff released in the reaction line. It's everything I didn't dare hoping for and it really makes me excited for the rest of the line. Reis and everybody involved, hats off to the entire team, you made this kid at heart very happy! Thanks for all your efforts!

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

LandoInDisguise wrote:I was able to have a friend in the U.S. forward the Jen and Landstrider to me and it arrived on my doorstep today safe and sound. I was pretty excited to finally have them in hand, the Dark Crystal was one of my favorite films growing up and since there were never any toys available, 20+ years made for some tough anticipation to appease. I have to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of digital sculpting and prototyping on toys, I still feel the traditional wax sculpting gives better results, so my expectations were adjusted accordingly. After opening up the set, I just have to vent my first gut reaction here, because Funko nocked this one straight out of the park! The figures are of an amazing quality, truly the best stuff released in the reaction line. It's everything I didn't dare hoping for and it really makes me excited for the rest of the line. Reis and everybody involved, hats off to the entire team, you made this kid at heart very happy! Thanks for all your efforts!

Are you going to be getting the whole set now that you have seen these in person? I was also skeptical of the digital prototypes and I didn't know if I'd like the extra details vs. having exact copies of the toys that were supposed to be released like they did with the Alien line. Add to that the years and years of waiting for anything Dark Crystal and I'm amazed this was pulled off and looks as good as it does.

LandoInDisguise

Postby LandoInDisguise » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 am

No doubt about it, I can't wait to add these to my collection, they're really good. Like you, initially I was hoping they would make exact replica's of the original Aviva line, there's something special about the Alien figures for this exact same reason, but I can see why Funko decided to go a different route. I guess there's just not that big of a market for toys whose appeal is the naivety of the execution. Especially with a niche film like the Dark Crystal. I see these new figures for what they are, excellent little toys of a beloved film that never really got enough merchandise through it's 30 years of existence. For that, I love these toys to death. I hope the line will get expanded with a second wave, and a third and a forth. \:D/

Regarding the digital prototyping process, I've always found many of the previous ReAction figures too soft in detail, but with the Dark Crystal figures Funko really brought this effect back to a minimum.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:39 am

I feel the detail on the DC figures is a huge selling point for many collectors. I would have likely bought some of the figures if they were the Aviva sculpts, but now that they are brand new and highly detailed - I am buying all of them. The soft details and likeness on some previous reaction lines actually resulted in me skipping them. For example, I really wanted to purchase a set from Goonies, but I cant get over how bland a couple of them look...

Super7

Postby Super7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Those are gorgeous - when / where can we buy them?

Super7

Postby Super7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Mystic Master wrote:Those are gorgeous - when / where can we buy them?

The Super7 San Diego store currently has them in stock. Soon both locations will have them, as well as in our webstore next week.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 pm

I may need to buy two of each, one to keep on card and the other to open. I don't do that anymore but these are such rare characters I might have to this time around. They look better than I could have hoped for!!

PittGuy76

Postby PittGuy76 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Those are looking pretty amazing. Can't wait to finally have some nice DC figures after almost 35 years. I will definitely be getting at least three of each. I will be keeping one set in package, one on display as is, and one set to custom paint. I also plan on creating a complete diorama display setting for them. Thanks for doing these!

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Super7 wrote:

The Super7 San Diego store currently has them in stock. Soon both locations will have them, as well as in our webstore next week.

Super7,
Please provide the website so I could go and order them asap. My daughter wants them and we have been going to Toys R Us looking for any Dark Crystal figures. The Jen with Landstrider is gone from my local Toys R Us, so we want these figures. Thank you for the pictures.

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:44 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:
Super7 wrote:

Super7,
Please provide the website so I could go and order them asap. My daughter wants them and we have been going to Toys R Us looking for any Dark Crystal figures. The Jen with Landstrider is gone from my local Toys R Us, so we want these figures. Thank you for the pictures.

Their online store is: http://super7store.com/

However, the figures are currently not in stock on the website yet. Keep checking back or maybe they'll post in here when they go live.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm curious to see the MSRP list prices for these, as some online retailers have Ursol and the Chamberlain listed for nearly double the others.

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Mystic Master wrote:I'm curious to see the MSRP list prices for these, as some online retailers have Ursol and the Chamberlain listed for nearly double the others.

Ursol and Chamberlain are both larger "deluxe-ish" figures, that's why the retail price is higher. I've seen the basic figures (Jen, Kira, Aughra) for around $8.99-11.99 each while the others 2 are $12.99-15.99 *roughly*.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:42 pm

I found the Dark Crystal basic line today, but not at TRU - it was at a video game / movie / music store called The Exchange. They had a set of the basic figures, so I bought them all. The smaller figures were $10, and the larger two were $13. I'm astounded by the detail and the great deco. For those hunting them down - check comic stores, gaming stores, etc!

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm

I have not seen the Dark Crystal line anywhere!

Are they going to be sold in a retail store, like Toys R US, or will it be available only online? When are they coming out?

illestr8r

Postby illestr8r » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:30 pm

I preordered through BBTS and most of them arrived last week. Still waiting for Jen and Kira to come in so I can ship. I keep checking my order status every other hr hoping today will be the day. I want these so bad!

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 pm

I went out tonight to my local comic book store and they had Jen, Kira, and Aughra. Mr. Reis and the Team at Funko did a wonderful job. My kids are loving these figures, especially my daughter, who with patience are enjoying the figures with a joy that can make a father very happy.

Thank you very much for producing the best ReAction figures of the whole line.

nanite

Postby nanite » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Oh curses, I missed the Garthim?
Hi, I'm Seth!
Please visit my custom thread: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58421

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 pm

nanite wrote:Oh curses, I missed the Garthim?

It will be re-released around the holidays, just no word on whether it will be with or without Kira.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 pm

Considering the Landstrider & Jen was released exactly as the SDCC exclusive, there is no reason to believe the Garthim & Kira set would be any different. They're likely already produced and sitting in a warehouse.

Otter

Postby Otter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:49 am

ReActionator wrote:In case anyone had not seen, here are the basic figures in computer model form. I love all of them. I don't know if I want to take them off the card or keep them MOC.

Decision was made for me; Aughra and Chamberlain bubbles popped right off the card as soon as I picked them up. :(

Same happened with my Tormund and Ygritte figures from Game of Thrones. Those I had every intention of opening, so it didn't phase me. These? I would have liked the choice.

Ah well, still love the figures!

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:56 pm

That stinks they fell off so easily, mine were secure, but I assumed those two would fall off eventually due to weight. I sliced the bubbles off mine to save the cardbacks. This line really is best appreciated open though, I'm planning on building a diorama for mine at some point.

Anyone hear a word from retailers about pre-ordering the Garthim & Kira set? I called the store I bought the basic figures from and they mentioned it wasn't available to order from them...

angrykoalagear

Postby angrykoalagear » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:06 pm

I can say this is by far the best ReAction figure set out. The details are terrific in the figures. I was hesitant to want the SDCC set, but not pick it up and I am after it now and hope to get my hands on the NYCC set.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:45 pm

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/minifigures- ... -103532976

You can still order the SDCC Jen & Landstrider on the TRU site with in-store pickup if its available locally, but many have sold out by now.

ReActionator

Postby ReActionator » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:55 pm

To keep everyone in the loop, it appears Winged Kira and Garthim Set remains a NYCC Exclusive and will not be released with a shared retailer, but the Garthim will be released.

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:58 pm

ReActionator wrote:To keep everyone in the loop, it appears Winged Kira and Garthim Set remains a NYCC Exclusive and will not be released with a shared retailer, but the Garthim will be released.

I had a gut feeling that would be the case.

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm actually liking that idea more. I'd only get one set, but if its a single Garthim, I'll likely buy a few.

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:13 pm

atreyu2112 wrote:I'm actually liking that idea more. I'd only get one set, but if its a single Garthim, I'll likely buy a few.

Oh heck yes! I'm going to build an army worthy of SkekUng's approval! :headbang:

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:24 pm

I got my two sets of peg figures from Barnes & Noble today and sadly all of them have popped off the card backs, it looks like there's almost no glue on them at all. I don't know whether I should try and repair them not sure really how to, or to return them.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

emgamera

Postby emgamera » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:32 am

Roll-on Glue Tape. Pretty much anywhere with a crafts, household, home office, or hardware section will have it.

I used it for my carded set of Game of Thrones figures. Works great.

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 am

Repairing them makes the most sense, because returning them for another set will just result in them falling off eventually as well. The Chamberlain and Aughra are simply too heavy for those cardbacks. Likewise, they're best opened to be fully appreciated. As much as I love this line, it does have its flaws. No flaw bigger than the Garthim & winged Kira debacle though.

kassle

Postby kassle » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Oh whatever. The very nature of an exclusive is that it denotes exclusivity. The internet has made exclusives so available to people that they forget the days of not being able to get something that was exclusive to SDCC whatsoever.

Be grateful Funko is getting you the Garthim. Or pony up the tickets and go to NYCC (or, conversely, pony up the money to help offset ticket prices for those who pay to go to NYCC and pick up the items for resale). You're not "entitled" to an exclusive. You didn't go to the event.

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Any updates on this? We're getting super close to the holidays now, will we be lucky enough to have Garthim under the tree?

Mystic Master

Postby Mystic Master » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
80s-forever wrote:Reis, Any update on Garthim, store, price, date?

Nothing yet. Believe me, as soon as I know, you'll know. We'll be sure to announce it on our social media outlets.

This was the most recent post 2 days ago (Q&A thread). I'm not sure how they plan to have the Garthim out this year without any details being released thus far. I believe it was originally planned to hit retail for the holidays if I recall the posts correctly - which I doubt will happen at this point. If I were Funko, I'd want to market my products well in advance of the release date to achieve the most sales.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 am

Mystic Master wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:
80s-forever wrote:Reis, Any update on Garthim, store, price, date?

Nothing yet. Believe me, as soon as I know, you'll know. We'll be sure to announce it on our social media outlets.

This was the most recent post 2 days ago (Q&A thread). I'm not sure how they plan to have the Garthim out this year without any details being released thus far. I believe it was originally planned to hit retail for the holidays if I recall the posts correctly - which I doubt will happen at this point. If I were Funko, I'd want to market my products well in advance of the release date to achieve the most sales.

It's a matter of our factory's bandwidth. We have a ton of stuff coming out and they're moving as fast as they can. Remember, we were shooting for December, but that is always subject to change.

ImageImage

chainsawco

Postby chainsawco » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 pm

No two pack at this time

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 am

Mr. Reis,

Any updates on the Garthim figure for release?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:Mr. Reis,

Any updates on the Garthim figure for release?

Nothing yet. As I stated before, as soon as I know something, I'll keep you all posted! :)

ImageImage

Return to “Action Figures”