Has Brian/Funko ever thought about doing a random subscription box?

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
BillyLouis

Has Brian/Funko ever thought about doing a random subscription box?

Postby BillyLouis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 am

In addition to the Marvel, D.C., "Star Wars" and Disney(upcoming?) subscription boxes, has Brian/Funko ever thought about doing a random bi-monthly(or whenever.) subscription box? Now obviously the three, and soon four boxes they have now are powerhouse franchises but, a friend and I were just chatting about Funkos boxes and we thought a 'mystery' box for random lesser/cult/highly asked for themes would be a welcomed addition. For example, the first month's theme could be "Masters of the Universe" and it could have say be a He-Man/Battlecat POP! Ride, Evil-Lyn Rock Candy, and maybe Beast Man shirt/mug. Then two months later, the theme could be "Ninja Turtles" with a 6 inch Krang, a couple Minis like Baxter Stockman and Ace Duck, and a hat. "Supernatural" with Dean and Baby, Hanna-Barbera, Buffy, POP! Rock, sports/NFL, Ad Icons or "Scooby-Doo" with a couple classic villain POP!s or a Scooby variant. Well, you get the idea.... You see threads asking for particular lines to be finished or maybe a line that didn't do so hot in stores but, there is a good following of collectors who would pay the $30 for a certain theme. I think there could be endless possibilities with a box like this. Now, of course, I have no idea how the licensing fully works for Funko and their partners. And, I understand having a box like this may be hard to entice people to lock in for the year since it wouldn't be all from the same franchise every month but, I thought it was a decent idea to throw out there. If this is an awful idea, fine, but, I hope that at least another person sees the potential of this late night brainstorm.

Thank you for reading,

Billy.
"If I only had the strength to make some muffins, then I swear that I would share them with you now."

Looking for: POP!s: Parks and Rec series 1, can be loose. Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Has Brian/Funko ever thought about doing a random subscription box?

Postby CaseyJones14 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:30 am

I think this would be awesome, but like you said the licensing may be an issue. I would buy all the boxes you listed in a heartbeat lol
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:00 am

I have totally been thinking of the exact same thing!! Especually with the MOTU stuff. They could also just do sort of a loose theme like Lootcrate or some of the other boxes do to keep the surprise. It would be incredible. Like Time Travel or 80s cartoons or anything really!! I would biy the hell outta something like that.
Hi, I'm Merri!

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 am

Thanks for the comments, folks. And, I totally almost went with 80s cartoons but, I like the Evil-Lyn Rock Candy idea too much.. Haha.
"If I only had the strength to make some muffins, then I swear that I would share them with you now."

Looking for: POP!s: Parks and Rec series 1, can be loose. Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:38 am

I certainly think it would be interesting. DBZ, Street Fighter and Overwatch would make great boxes!
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

The Head

Postby The Head » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeah, I've thought about this too and think it's a great idea. I think it could work, but agree that it might be hard to get a lot of long term subs. Knowing how I operate, I'd probably sub long term, but honestly, given the vast property potential there would be a reasonable likelihood that there would be something I didn't like. I'd probably like it more often than not though.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 pm

I like it and I'd probably buy it. They could have done this with the specialty series of pops and Dorbz
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Random like how Nerd Block and Loot Crate have a theme each month, but with Funko items? That would be cool. I would subscribe and then maybe just pause my account if the month was something I didn't collect. Although, I collect so many things... lol
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I would love a random style box but people complain and cry when they know what's coming in their box let alone a random one.
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

One man's opinion ... I don't t think this is Funko's style. Right now Funko has just randomly sent out what I call teaser gifts to get some cross-over buyers. I think they will monitor this to see if it generates new cross over sub buyers. But with Disney coming out in the Spring (and I think this will be there #1 Sub box), I don't see any hybrid boxes coming anytime soon. I expect the Disney Sub to blow up, with many, many, many crossovers from those who up to this time have just collected one sub box. Watch out for that #1 Disney box ... it is going to reach new levels of excitement!!!
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I think this is a good idea. they are releasing more stuff every month so they could have themes for the new releases.

I also would buy all the boxes you listed.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:02 am

So true Huse
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

HobieWanKenobi
Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:23 am

SnackDaddy wrote:I would love a random style box but people complain and cry when they know what's coming in their box let alone a random one.

Um...Does nobody remember the mystery box "fiasco" from the Funko Shop mystery box?

The one where Funko offered up a box of commons and people complained about receiving a box of commons? :D

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

HobieWanKenobi wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:I would love a random style box but people complain and cry when they know what's coming in their box let alone a random one.

Um...Does nobody remember the mystery box "fiasco" from the Funko Shop mystery box?

The one where Funko offered up a box of commons and people complained about receiving a box of commons? :D

Good point. But then again, the complainers will arise no matter what Funko does so... lol lol
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 pm

HowardTheDuck wrote:
HobieWanKenobi wrote:

Good point. But then again, the complainers will arise no matter what Funko does so... lol lol

Yeah, like when Funko sent a out a free subscription box and people found a way to complain about it
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:
HowardTheDuck wrote:
HobieWanKenobi wrote:

Yeah, like when Funko sent a out a free subscription box and people found a way to complain about it

Precisely. lol lol lol

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:41 pm

I always say, if you're not complaining, you're not living. ;)

I obviously think this could be a good idea if done properly, though I again admit that it would be hard to get cats to sign up for a full year. I do however think if it had the same kind of Funko products as the current subscription boxes and a clear theme announced bi-monthly, it would be a fun new choice from Funko.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:08 pm

HobieWanKenobi wrote:

I don't think anyone in this thread was suggesting a random box of commons :-) Rather, if I heard correctly, the suggestion was a themed box of exclusives but the themes would vary from box-to-box. So for example, this month might be Dr. Who, then in 2 months Walking Dead, then in 2 more Months Fallout 5 (haha!) It would be kind of a catch-all of random themes, kind of like Loot Crate is. It's a good idea but there are soooo many Pop and Dorbz lines that I don't collect that I suspect I would just pick up a box here and there, kind of like I do with MCC.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm

treswright wrote:
HobieWanKenobi wrote:

I don't think anyone in this thread was suggesting a random box of commons :-) Rather, if I heard correctly, the suggestion was a themed box of exclusives but the themes would vary from box-to-box. So for example, this month might be Dr. Who, then in 2 months Walking Dead, then in 2 more Months Fallout 5 (haha!) It would be kind of a catch-all of random themes, kind of like Loot Crate is. It's a good idea but there are soooo many Pop and Dorbz lines that I don't collect that I suspect I would just pick up a box here and there, kind of like I do with MCC.

Yes sir, that is exactly what I was going for. Much like yourself, I even gave examples in my original post. These months would have a particular theme from smaller franchises that Funko has produced, or will in the future.

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.

HobieWanKenobi

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Yes, I understand nobody was suggesting a random box of commons.

The point I was trying to make is that the random aspect of it, whether the items are exclusive or not, will lead to a lot of complaints. Either that, or there will be very few "founder" subscriptions, which I think is the opposite of what Funko would want.

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

Yeah, that was one of my biggest hold-ups when coming up with this, yearly subscribers.. IF, huge if, they ever actually did something like this I almost feel like I would have to sign up for the year since I made this thread. Haha.

Return to “Powered by Funko”