Is this the end of the Vinyl Vixens?

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
treswright

Is this the end of the Vinyl Vixens?

Postby treswright » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Cayla got the new HQ for me for Christmas and my VV collection is complete again :-)

But given that there was only that one issued in all of 2016 and none hinted at in Brian's 12 Days announcements for 2017, it seems to me the line may be dead now. Has anyone heard anything? Seems like they're focusing on Rock Candy instead.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

The Minifigure Vinyl

Re: Is this the end of the Vinyl Vixens?

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

They definitely are focusing on the Rock Candy line now, rather than the Vinyl Vixens. I honestly prefer the Rock Candy line over the Vinyl Vixen line, as the Rock Candy line is cheaper (the money I save can go to other Funko products! lol) and they are easier to display because of their smaller size. I do hope that they don't end the Vinyl Vixen line, maybe they can still continue to make waves of Rock Candy and then have one or two of the characters in those waves have "premium" Vinyl Vixens.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Not gonna lie Tres, it seems very possible. The Rock Candy line is doing very well (at least I can say that we like them), it's definitely the more refined sister haha.

There are also so many companies doing figures in the VV size and price point that the market for them is probably not as good.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 pm

I love the Vinyl Vixens and I'm not really crazy about the Rock Candy but I think they're done. RC is easier to display and it's the same price point as pops.
Hopefully we'll get more. I'd buy them.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:52 pm

The Minifigure Vinyl wrote:I honestly prefer the Rock Candy line over the Vinyl Vixen line, as the Rock Candy line is cheaper (the money I save can go to other Funko products! lol) and they are easier to display because of their smaller size.

I think your thoughts reflect what a lot of people are thinking. In my opinion the Rock Candy line in general has too much of a "little girl's doll" appearance, they're less "sexy" and more "cutesy" than the VV's. That may be changing though, the Enchantress has a more mature appearance than other RC's I think. But yeah, the large size of the VV's definitely requires more real estate to display them, and the cost is a bummer. I bought all of mine except one on clearance, but I imagine Funko isn't making much off of them if we're all waiting for clearance prices before buying them.

Sarcasticguy wrote:Not gonna lie Tres, it seems very possible. The Rock Candy line is doing very well (at least I can say that we like them), it's definitely the more refined sister haha.

There are also so many companies doing figures in the VV size and price point that the market for them is probably not as good.

Good points. Oh well, more money and room for Dorbz Ridez I guess lol To mark the apparent departure of VV's I did buy a color proto of the newer Harley Quinn, it's so cool! Looks like HQ before she puts her makeup on lol I'll post a pic soon!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 pm

treswright wrote: I bought all of mine except one on clearance, but I imagine Funko isn't making much off of them if we're all waiting for clearance prices before buying them.

The problem here ins't Funko making that money but the retailer who will not order more if they could only move them on clearance. Funko sells them at wholesale, so they money is made. Beyond maybe having extra stock warehoused since there were not reorders, their part is done. Retailers who saw low ROI or even a loss on the clearance sale will not order more which ultimately kills the line. Bummer for all. I wonder of they could keep them going as a shop exclusive item every so often? I would imagine they could sell a limited edition run movie Wonder Woman version when the WW movies comes around.
Last edited by mohawkjones on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:44 pm

mohawkjones wrote:The problem here ins't Funko making that money but the retailer who will not order more if they could only move them on clearance. Funky sells them at wholesale, so they money is made. Beyond maybe have extra stock warehoused since there were not reorders, their part is done. Retailers who saw low ROI or even a loss on the clearance sale will not order more which ultimately kills the line.

Good point, Funko isn't a retailer (well, other than through the Funko Shop) so it's more of a kickback effect through retailers.

mohawkjones wrote:I wonder of they could keep them going as a shop exclusive item every so often? I would imagine they could sell a limited edition run movie Wonder Woman version when the WW movies comes around.

That's a cool idea, maybe they could do something like that and not have to make a zillion of them.

kristenXkadaver

Postby kristenXkadaver » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Didn't Brian mention Buffy and River as vinyl vixens back in 2015's days of Christmas announcement? I was really looking forward to Buffy but I assumed that they were cancelled when so much time went by. I love the vinyl vixens that I have and really would love a Zatanna to go with my DC ladies.

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 am

kristenXkadaver wrote:Didn't Brian mention Buffy and River as vinyl vixens back in 2015's days of Christmas announcement?

That sure rings a bell, seems like I remember Lara Croft too. Let me see if I can find something.... yes found it!

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=64593&p=1275331&hilit=vixen#p1275331

Brian@Funko wrote:Lara Croft...River from Firefly...Buffy....New Harley from Suicide Squad...just a few but we have more..

There was no mention in the 8 days thread though (it's here for those who are curious: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=66783 ) Lara is coming out in RC form so that does seem to reinforce that there is an apparent shift in focus from VV to RC.

kitkats_mommy

Postby kitkats_mommy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am

I love the Vinyl Vixens and the Rock Candy... I love that they are so different not just in size but the characteristics as well. Hopefully we will see more of both in the future.
I'm Josie, super uber nerd here!! Collector of Funko, Pins and Patches. Self Proclaimed Loungefly Ambassador/Guru lol Funko's Funatic of the week 6/17/15. The United Funko Family Founder. Check out my Insta @Loungefly._.Addict

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:02 pm

The Minifigure Vinyl wrote:I honestly prefer the Rock Candy line over the Vinyl Vixen line, as the Rock Candy line is cheaper (the money I save can go to other Funko products! lol) and they are easier to display because of their smaller size.

Hit the nail on the head here. I personally never liked Vinyl Vixens but I am in love with the Rock Candy line. If Funko has to give up the VV line for more RC, I'm OK with it.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

Azxc34

Postby Azxc34 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm

I like both VV and RC figures. Problem is, not many stores around me carry either one of them. I do have all the VV ones and would love if they made more characters.

TanyaTate

Postby TanyaTate » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:57 pm

I prefer RC over VV. Mainly due to the size. I took VV Catwoman out of the package and now she is totally leaning over.
WANTED: Hanna Barbara Huckleberry Hound POP Dark Purple, Light Purple, Orange, Red, Pink, Green and Dorbz Purple, Orange
My Youtube Channel

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 pm

I figured VV was on life support once I saw Rock Candy last year. The smaller size and price point means people can buy and display more for the same bucks. I also think that Rock Candy has more of a little girl toy appeal to it. Actually, I think I said once that it looked much more 'focus grouped' than their other lines.

I believe that Vinyl Vixens would have done better with more 'vixen'. Had they been all curvey like the DC Bombshell they would have done better. Also, about three inches shorter and five bucks cheaper.

Vinyl Idolz needs to come in a smaller form as well.
Funklub: 11181

Toralei

Postby Toralei » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 pm

It may not be a versus issue. Even if there was more VV product lined up and approved, if retailers for whatever reason don't order it, nor opt for an exclusive option, the line isn't going to progress past what's already in the warehouse.

The best path of action is to let both retail buyers and your local departments know that you have an interest in these figures. If enough people do that, it might boost retailer confidence just enough to get the next figure through the door.
Last edited by Toralei on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:33 pm

I hate to say it but I'm kinda glad these are done. Literally(and not that fake literally where people over exaggerate) none of mine stood up. The heads were so big. I loved the design but hello Rock Candy.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Valde wrote:I hate to say it but I'm kinda glad these are done. Literally(and not that fake literally where people over exaggerate) none of mine stood up. The heads were so big. I loved the design but hello Rock Candy.

I had the same problem with my VV? I ended up putting them back in boxes. I like both VV and Rock Candy, but I tend toward collecting more Rock Candy due to their size, design, and stability.

I do hope VV continue, though. It would be cool if they were an exclusive. I totally see that maybe they don't sell well and that is an issue.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't know what I'm doing differently but mine are displayed just like in that first pic and have been for months and they've never leaned or fallen. Strange. I guess the problem isn't universal.

At least if they quit making them then I'll have a "forever complete" Funko collection, which is something I certainly can't say for any of the Pops or Dorbz I'm complete on lol

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:50 pm

If the end is near, then I get most for cheap.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 pm

These are basically $5 each at Gemini if you buy them in lots.

http://www.geminicollectibles.net/searc ... ery=vixens

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Mon May 15, 2017 1:32 am

I had hopes for these, but wasn't really impressed with the first ones

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 am

RC is cute but VV is the one that caught my attention when they launch Wonder woman ...and thats where I started collecting them. Just lucky that its not many so Im cool with them launching a few at a time. RC seems to launch a few at the same time and sooner...we will face the same problem for space..lol.
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 am

They look great together. At least Funko was able to make the Big Five of the DC Ladies. The only one I don't have is Suicide Squad HQ (didn't like the movie or her character design).

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

Gothamite wrote:These are basically $5 each at Gemini if you buy them in lots.

http://www.geminicollectibles.net/searc ... ery=vixens

Love your batgirl display case. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 am

Shalee04 wrote:Love your batgirl display case. \:D/

Thanks! :)

curlytopnyc

Postby curlytopnyc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am

I have all the Vinyl Vixens as well and was hoping Funko would have release a new Wonder Woman. Oh well... I do love the Rock Candy line though so I am happy we have something....
Hello! My name is Valerie ...
My First POP!: Wonder Woman, 2011....have not stopped since
Instagram: curlytopnyc

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 am

curlytopnyc wrote:I have all the Vinyl Vixens as well and was hoping Funko would have release a new Wonder Woman. Oh well... I do love the Rock Candy line though so I am happy we have something....

Nice! I did consider starting a Vinyl Vixens collection. But can't find any anywhere near me. I do love Rock Candy, though!
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

aussiepopgirl95

Postby aussiepopgirl95 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am

Already had the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn, got the other five today for my birthday :) look great in my room :)

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am

aussiepopgirl95 wrote:Already had the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn, got the other five today for my birthday :) look great in my room :)

I got all except for the latest Harley Quinn...Im still waiting hopefully the price will drop bit then i will buy lol.
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

Vynlholic

Postby Vynlholic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 pm

I like having a mix in my Funko collection. I focus more on licenses I love vs. product lines. I purchased the 1st few Vinyl Vixens when they came out and they just stuck out and not in a good way. I'm not super crazy about the RC line but the RC She-Ra works well with my MOTU Funko Collection and I plan on getting Gamora for my GOTG Collection. I already have Elvira pre-ordered and I'm praying for a Con or Halloween RC Elvira Exclusive. Vinyl Vixens never really read Funko to me and like the 1st Dorbz XL their boxes were too large and clunky. Vixens looked beautiful in the store, but not so much once housed among my other Funko products.
My Collection:
Pops!: 1024
Mystery Minis: 240
Dorbz: 393
Wacky Wobblers: 23
Rock Candy: 2
Pint Size Heroes: 47
Vinyl: 37
Plush: 3
Hikari: 10

Top 3 ISO: Elvira (Red Dress Funkoween), Retro Freddy (Walking Dead), Freddy Skeletor Wobbler

Return to “Vinyl”