Are Hikaris really THAT limited

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
reederboy117

Are Hikaris really THAT limited

Postby reederboy117 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 am

The thing with hikaris as we all know is theyre "limited edition" each varying whether it be 500 pieces or 3000 pieces, are they that limited? Its just I see them all over the internet and for such a limited number production they really arent that expensive. Can anyone maybe explain? hahaNot knocking them! I think theyre sweet! I dont own any hikaris as of now but ive got a couple in my sights that im going to buy and it just seems to me you can find them in several stores and websites, I would think with a limited number item theyd be harder to find is all im saying ya know?

xmaldigolax

Re: Are Hikaris really THAT limited

Postby xmaldigolax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:27 am

Fair question. Hikari availability perception is skewed by the pop market. If you look at the amount of posts in the Pop section, you can get a good idea of how well the line sells. Compare those numbers to Hikari posts.

At the time of this reply, there are 8148 topics and 281780 posts in the pop section, compared to 265 topics and 7813 posts in the Hikari section. Just using this one source as a sample, you can see why the availability of a limited edition of 1500 pop would be extremely difficult to find while a 1500 hikari would appear to be bountiful. Obviously there is crossover, and obviously there are Funko fans outside of this site. The number is very skewed, but imagine this was the entirety of the Funko world.

So if there is a pop and a Hikari, both limited to 1500 pieces, and 2500 shoppers that could only buy one line. In our absolute scenario, the pops would sell out, with 300 people posting vitriolic tweets and threatening facebook messages. The hikari would still have 800 leftover, which would have seemingly infinite availability.

Nothing against the line, I actually prefer Hikari to pops. If you noticed, every week that Funko does not release a pop as its Funko-shop exclusive of the week, they have to hire a whole new army of bodyguards lol.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 am

xmaldigolax wrote:Fair question. Hikari availability perception is skewed by the pop market. If you look at the amount of posts in the Pop section, you can get a good idea of how well the line sells. Compare those numbers to Hikari posts.

At the time of this reply, there are 8148 topics and 281780 posts in the pop section, compared to 265 topics and 7813 posts in the Hikari section. Just using this one source as a sample, you can see why the availability of a limited edition of 1500 pop would be extremely difficult to find while a 1500 hikari would appear to be bountiful. Obviously there is crossover, and obviously there are Funko fans outside of this site. The number is very skewed, but imagine this was the entirety of the Funko world.

So if there is a pop and a Hikari, both limited to 1500 pieces, and 2500 shoppers that could only buy one line. In our absolute scenario, the pops would sell out, with 300 people posting vitriolic tweets and threatening facebook messages. The hikari would still have 800 leftover, which would have seemingly infinite availability.

Nothing against the line, I actually prefer Hikari to pops. If you noticed, every week that Funko does not release a pop as its Funko-shop exclusive of the week, they have to hire a whole new army of bodyguards lol.

Excellent response Alex!

Just my :twocents: the Hikari's do cost more than POP's to manufacture, but they also justify that via retail price. If the Hikari is a premium mold or paint job, then the cost is typically $80 or so to justify that.
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 am

ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:40 am

xmaldigolax wrote:Fair question. Hikari availability perception is skewed by the pop market. If you look at the amount of posts in the Pop section, you can get a good idea of how well the line sells. Compare those numbers to Hikari posts.

What he said. :)
Got Pixie Dust?

JsinLegacy

Postby JsinLegacy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:20 am

Well... this pretty much answers this thread... well done sir

Top ISO
1. Apollo Freddy 2. 18" Retro Freddy Skeletor 3. Retro Freddy Skeletor

Instagram : JsinLegacy

Team BACON

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:27 am

QATC
ImageImageMay the Funko Be With You

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

hunh :-s
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

0xTurtle
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby 0xTurtle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

=D> to answering the question AND to that white bone demon, Alex!
Hiya, everyone calls me, well, Turtle.
ISO: DEK Chet | Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) Pop proto

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:08 pm

glowfunkofreak wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:Fair question. Hikari availability perception is skewed by the pop market. ...So if there is a pop and a Hikari, both limited to 1500 pieces, and 2500 shoppers that could only buy one line. In our absolute scenario, the pops would sell out, with 300 people posting vitriolic tweets and threatening facebook messages. The hiker would still have 800 leftover, which would have seemingly infinite availability...

hunh :-s

I think what Alex is saying is, people are tripping over themselves to pay $150 for a $10 toy but are a little less likely to pay $50 for an $80 one. ;-) I'm interested to see if the Disney Hikari line changes this somewhat. Seems like most of the Mickeys pre-sold out from all the usual retailers, didn't they? And the Stitch and Buzz sold at a good clip as well.

As to whether they are truly limited, who knows. I imagine they are. You get the run number plus an unknown amount of artist proofs for each colorway. Most characters seems to have a total of 3000-5000 available (according to run numbers on the boxes) in the different colorways, some as much as 8000. This leads me to believe that either the production company has a minimum they'll produce from each mold or Funko has crunched the numbers and figured out that's the magic number to make a profit. At which point the start shopping them around to the various resellers as store exclusives.

Personally, the Hikari line is my favorite of all the Funko products (sans Spastiks, of course) and as entry-level sofubi, you can't beat the price. Especially when that price starts dropping because the Pop! people leave them on the shelves. lol
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

Geniusrecluse8

Postby Geniusrecluse8 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:09 pm

That's a really good explanation, Alex. I was wondering about this myself, and it makes perfect sense to me now.
This post was brought to you by Sam

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Alex nailed it. Hikari is a niche product that appeals to a far smaller demographic that pops do for a number of factors, price seeming to be the biggest factor based on general comments I have seen on here and various FB groups. I love the comment

It does not matter how limited edition they are, if the supply exceeds demand the after-market price will not escalate accordingly. No secret I love the Hikari line and I believe the quality and material justifies the price point. I am always amused by those who complain that they cost too much but than turn around and drop the same amount on a pop wave or for a single after-market figure.

I do not doubt that the edition runs and right on what they say they are plus a handful of AP figures. I have only seen a few examples of AP, of all the HIkari I have only 2 are and they are from the same seller, so I imagine the AP run is pretty tight.

And my favorite line of the day award goes to James for "people are tripping over themselves to pay $150 for a $10 toy but are a little less likely to pay $50 for an $80 one."
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I think, too, that the number of colorways plays into the perception that they aren't THAT limited. Four colorways of 500 pieces is two thousand of a given character. Given the collector base for Hikari is small, that would appear to be a flood.

Personally, I hope they get a handle on the edition sizes and the number of colorways they produce. I've always felt there should be a maximum number of any given character spread across 5-8 different releases. I feel like they nailed it with Mickey.

I would also like to see the releases timed better so that five Mickeys or Buzz or Stitch don't all drop within a couple of weeks of each other.
Funklub: 11181

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:33 pm

I don't really have anything substantive to add to this conversation, except that I totally agree with the other analyses so far. I definitely get the sense funko is dialing in the edition sizes and price point to accommodate the fact that Hikari's appeal is far more niche than Pop.
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

swind15

Postby swind15 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:30 pm

I for one am glad Hikari isn't that popular. The last thing I need is another hunt on my hands.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:07 pm

I agree they did a good job with the Mickey edition sizes, the hype of the disney fans helped as well.

Toning down the total size would be great. In terms of them all dropping so close, I think it'd be nice if they either dropped at the same time or all the variants were announced at once. I know a lot of people are picky and only want a single colorway of a single character, but currently don't know which they want. It was tough with the mickeys as the runs were small (but perfect) and selling out before you had the chance to consider your options
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

TurboBacon

Postby TurboBacon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Similar to pops far as "limited" means... (also you got the APs, who knows how many extra there could be). As mentioned above, the consumer market, wayyyy less hikari peeps than poppers.

Hikari are getting more popular imo, the only thing that needs to be done is Funko to find a way to cut the price down to around $30 per unit.

Most casual and random consumers (the potential future collector base) just simply can't justify or afford to spend $50-$80 per hikari. I think $50 for a really awesome Hikari isn't too bad a price imo BUT I also spend like $200-$1000 a month on pops....

Pops are a good gateway to Hikari but once again, if Hikari could self sustain at a lower price to appeal to the masses then they would really take off.

Since Hikari are more expensive I think they should keep prints low, like 50-1000 MAX per color way. It add s dynamic and also will give room for more color ways per mold.

Mauison

Postby Mauison » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm

FunkoNewb wrote:I agree they did a good job with the Mickey edition sizes, the hype of the disney fans helped as well.

Toning down the total size would be great. In terms of them all dropping so close, I think it'd be nice if they either dropped at the same time or all the variants were announced at once. I know a lot of people are picky and only want a single colorway of a single character, but currently don't know which they want. It was tough with the mickeys as the runs were small (but perfect) and selling out before you had the chance to consider your options

^ Agree with all of the variants being announced at once. I'm trying to only get the regular version plus one variant. Since a variant Jack Skellington was announced before a regular version I wasn't sure if I should get the variant or not or wait to see what other variants are coming out. With Pops, I don't mind dropping $10-20 for a variant, not knowing what other variants are coming out, but I am more hesitant to drop $60+ on a Hikari.
Aloha, I'm David and I love everything Disney!!!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 pm

The lack of notice is a bit tough. I am not a completist, I try to collect the ones I really like but it is tough not having an idea of what is on the horizon and these fast Disney sell-throughs make it even tougher. Funky gives a pretty good advance notice for 98% of the Pops line-up, HIkaris just show up out of nowhere most of the time. And even some of the ones we have seen at Toy Fair, Sparks Gallery & Toy Tokyo do not always materialize.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:49 am

And then, out of nowhere, they just do lol I am looking at you Sheriff!
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:54 am

I think the price is SOMEWHAT justified on the Hikari's. Production on anything, whether it be toys or car parts, will be cheaper with larger quantities. With the Hikari's being produced in such small numbers, compared to POPs, you can see where the added cost is. Add in the cost to make the molds, etc. etc. etc. Maybe what, 5000 pieces on a particular Hikari if you add up all the variants. Compared to 20,000....30,000 POPs or more. Lower quantity, higher price. Higher quantity, lower price.

eastWOLF

Postby eastWOLF » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 am

Real sofubi isn't cheap why do people always complain about the price?

Also I hope future runs don't exceed 2000...seriously 5000 Groots was WAY too much lol
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 am

Squird wrote:
I would also like to see the releases timed better so that five Mickeys or Buzz or Stitch don't all drop within a couple of weeks of each other.

This would be appreciated since that was like $700 right at Christmas time lol
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am

eastWOLF wrote:Real sofubi isn't cheap why do people always complain about the price?

Also I hope future runs don't exceed 2000...seriously 5000 Groots was WAY too much lol

I know, I have my eye on some genuine sofubi but will never make that leap
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:13 pm

eastWOLF wrote:Real sofubi isn't cheap why do people always complain about the price?

This. I would say most detractors totally miss the point about sofubi and the quality leap from the cheaper pop vinyl. If any of them looked at some of the KidRobot, Super7 and other designer pieces they would flip out.

Squird

Postby Squird » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Love Super7! Great designs, fun colorways, perfect price point.

I've been wanting to see Funko do a mini-Hikari in the 25-30 price range since they first came out.
Funklub: 11181

TurboBacon

Postby TurboBacon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

mohawkjones wrote:

This. I would say most detractors totally miss the point about sofubi and the quality leap from the cheaper pop vinyl. If any of them looked at some of the KidRobot, Super7 and other designer pieces they would flip out.

I looked at some other sofubi style figures. Some of them look pretty amazing, way more detail. I think with the "hikari" style clear ones its sets them apart but some of the ones that are hand detailed and air brushed look next tier compared to the clear style and or pops. (like the bronzed or weathered hikari)
Seems like with more detail and finish the price can very a lot.
Its just a different style thats not huge yet in the US region with non niche collectors, the avg person wouldn't even know what sofubi means or hikari for that matter... oh wait, let alone Pop! lol. (a little humor, from trying to find Funko items at retailers)

If Funko did some of their wacky wobbler or spastik characters in variations similar to like the vinyls off super 7 they would turn out excellent and cost effective. (The mummy boy and others on there remind me of Funkos style of characters)
Last edited by TurboBacon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 pm

There was a time when LE96 wobbler was considered bountiful or a LE240 Pop was bountiful, time is the secret. It took Pop 2yrs to start hitting. Also like they have said price also needs to be factor in, a mom is not likely to buy a $50 toy to shut their kid up while in line at store as easily as she willing to spend $9 on a toy for the sake of sanity but what do I know I'm not a mom :D
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

Stoatmaster

Postby Stoatmaster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Hikari seem to have a nice core group of collectors, but for almost every line, 500 is enough to saturate the market. The only exception might be Mickey Mouse. Last I looked, GameStop still had a LE250 clone trooper for sale, and that's in one of the more popular lines. It took me awhile to adjust from pops, but if I see a Hikari in an edition greater than 250, I expect it to be available at retail or less for quite awhile.

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Squird wrote:Love Super7! Great designs, fun colorways, perfect price point.

I've been wanting to see Funko do a mini-Hikari in the 25-30 price range since they first came out.

Mini Hikari would be so amazing.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 pm

Stoatmaster wrote:... Last I looked, GameStop still had a LE250 clone trooper for sale, and that's in one of the more popular lines...

Popular or not, there are 9 different Clone Trooper colorways and about 6200 of them out there for sale (not counting APs). The Star Wars Hikari are over-saturated just like every other Star Wars related toy you see taking up the shelves at your local Kohls. I wonder if the license states that manufacturers must flood the market lol
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:08 pm

eastWOLF wrote:Real sofubi isn't cheap why do people always complain about the price? lol

I found an interesting link with a video explaining a little bit about the process of manufacturing sofubi for anyone that wants to check it out :-)

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-Sofubi-Toy-Collectors-/10000000204954609/g.html

[youtube]BL8R5woxyAY[/youtube]
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

necromancy

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 pm

xmaldigolax wrote:necromancy

whut. lol why?!
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:

whut. lol why?!

Because I am of my father El Diablo, and the lusts of my father I shall do!

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 am

xmaldigolax wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

whut. lol why?!

Makes sense, carry on.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:38 pm

I've only seen one Hikari in the wild. And it was an Iron Man one. That was a long time ago at GameStop.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:
whut. lol why?!

Makes sense, carry on.

Fair enough reason if any.

See you have been resurrecting some chaos all around, well played sir :smt077 :smt064 ... :devil:

WeaponX17

Postby WeaponX17 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 am

:-# One of the grestest kept Funko secrets seems to be Hikari and I'm ok with it. Most of my pieces are under 200 runs Legendary creatures and myths, a few 1/88, so I'm just fine if the masses sleep on these. One day I may find a green Kappa
ISO: Hatsune Miku & ChillyWilly proto, hugs, and free tacos
:freddy2:

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 pm

I like that they're not crazy hard to find. Might change depending on future releases though. I wasn't too excited for some of the earlier ones. But with Stitch & Buzz, that really got me hooked

Return to “Hikari”