Wacky Wobbler Star Wars History

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
maythefunkobewithyou

Wacky Wobbler Star Wars History

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 am

This is a quick post regarding the history of Wacky Wobblers, but more specifically, the Star Wars line. As such, it skips a lot of the history of the other lines. If you want to recreate/replicate/cite this post in part or in whole, please contact us prior to proceeding. If you see any inconsistencies, please do let us know so we can correct them.

Feel free to check out our other Star Wars Funko History posts:
Star Wars Wacky Wobblers History | Star Wars Holographic History | Star Wars Plush History | Star Wars Hikari History | Star Wars Dorbz History | Star Wars Vynl History

In 1998, Funko was formed by Mike Becker and their very first product was actually a Wacky Wobbler - Bob's Big Boy. He got the licensing rights because he wanted a coin bank of the character but did not want to pay the insane collectors prices for the existing item ($1000+)

In 2007, after Brian Mariotti was already in control of Funko (Announced Fundays #3 in 2005), he announced the agreement with Lucasfilm to produce Star Wars Wacky Wobblers! This meant that Funko can apply its beloved wobbler style to the gicantic license that is Star Wars and allow for fans to see their favorite characters reimagined in a new form. This was huge news for Funko and evidence of their growth and increasing respect in the collectibles community. (See Brian's post)

Along with July's first wave of Vader and Clone Trooper, Funko released Holo Vader and Shock Trooper at SDCC 2007.

Additionally, in 2007 Entertainment Earth had what they called a "Holiday" Boba Fett. It was Boba Fett Droids (holiday special), a repaint of the regular, 2000pcs.

JobaFett wrote:My Contribution since I like taking bland background pics :)
I do have a bit of trivia to add here though. Originally, the darth vader wobbler was going to have a smaller head (images 4 and 5 below), however they decided to increase the size for the final production pieces (images 1-3 below). What is odd, is that the holo vaders (images 6 & 7 below) still retained the original smaller head.

Series 1 made it into the 2008 catalog (along with series 2)

It is interesting to note that Wacky Wobbler rides were introduced with Series 1 (Vader with tie fighter) and Series 2 (Luke with x-wing). Vader also had a chase variant with a black tie fighter.

In 2008, Entertainment Earth also got it's first true "Holiday" full size Wacky Wobbler Vader, also 2000pcs like their 2007 Boba.

Also in 2008, Funko added Holiday Yoda and Jawa. In 2009, Vader and C-3PO. And finally in 2010, R2-D2 (image from 2010 catalog when we first see them printed)

Starting with Vader in 2008, Funko made Computer Sitters that came with 3M sticky tape on the bottom to place on top of your monitor; by 2011, all 3 were included in the Toy Fair Catalog.

In 2010, Funko introduced the Monster Mash up series where they mixed Star Wars characters with universal monsters that included the following 4.

In 2011, Funko introduced WiseCracks, a new line that had clever puns on the bases of the StarWars wobblers. The image below is from the 2014 catalog and includes the newly added Han & Chewie.

In 2011, Monster Mash up minis were introduced (~4.5inch vs 7), adding jawa and tusken raider. It is unclear whether they were designed with the intention of making them minis, but them and the original monster mash up line from 2010 were made into the minis.

Trivia - Maul's monster artwork was revealed in the 2011 catalog but was never made :-/

In 2013, the Angry Birds Star Wars Mash up became a thing. Lasted about as long as the game's popularity.

More importantly, in 2013, the catalog featured the new *Mini* wobblers/bobble heads line up (made in 2010)! They were sold in sets of 2 and there were 3 different sets to choose from. They really are mini!

JobaFett wrote:A little bit of additional mini wobbler info. There is actually a 5 pack that's missing Chewbacca and also as single 'blind boxes', given away with certain purchases from what I believe was a Scholastic catalogue (the one you got books from in school). They weren't really blind boxes though because each one had a unique UPC.
I might have some of those facts mixed up, it's been a long time since I bugged someone for that information :)

In 2016 the Wobbler line (no longer wacky) was introduced during ECCC and the Star Wars line was added in August, including iconic characters such as Leia and Boba Fett. These Wobblers combine the stylized appeal of Pop! with traditional bobblehead design.
Soon after the same 2016 year, the line was expanded to include new Rogue One characters such as Jyn Erso

During ECCC, Yoko also showed a slide with Kylo and Rey wobblers which we have yet to see. Given that they are TFA style, they may have been cancelled but it seems like they were far along in development so hopefully not.

In March 2017 the first Con exclusive Wobbler from the new line was introduced. A repaint of the Boba announced in 2016 but this time white (proto armor) for Star Wars Celebration.

In August of the same year, Funko revealed The Last Jedi Wobblers, which include ones such as this adorable Chewie with Porg.

In 2018, along with the other Solo merch, a few Wobblers were added, including the smooth talking smugglers - Lando.

Thank you for checking this out :freddy2:
Last edited by maythefunkobewithyou on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 am, edited 29 times in total.

maythefunkobewithyou

Re: Wacky Wobbler Star Wars History

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:26 am

All in all, the wacky wobbler & wobbler lines contain over 81 pieces (~8 Wobblers and the rest Wacky Wobblers) and around 55 WW chases with a clear base.

The Wacky Wobblers line contained many Star Wars chases (all 1:36 and with clear/chrome-colored base) with the most rare one being the Holo Darth Maul. This is because it was a 480 limited and so it had about 12 chases only!
image by JobaFett

Also, while these were never released, they are definitely worth mentioning! These unreleased Clone Freddy Wacky Wobblers were ¼ (chrome base), ⅓ (for regular base) and the black hair is 1/1 test piece
image by ShoMeNodder
Last edited by maythefunkobewithyou on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:54 am

Great Information!
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks for sharing! I love the history lessons.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

ricflair4ever

Postby ricflair4ever » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks for the post. Very nice to see some of the rarer stuff here like those Freddys and i never once saw a monster mash up in person.

icemanfan44
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby icemanfan44 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

The Funko Force Star Wars line was one of the biggest pushes Funko made. The shirts for the booth workers in 2010 were Star Wars based. I still have one somewhere.

Here is Alex in 2010 is his Funko Booth shirt.

They Call me Bear!
COTM 5/12

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 am

TriFeckTa wrote:Great Information!

willy wonka wrote:Thanks for sharing! I love the history lessons.

ricflair4ever wrote:Thanks for the post. Very nice to see some of the rarer stuff here like those Freddys and i never once saw a monster mash up in person.

icemanfan44 wrote:The Funko Force Star Wars line was one of the biggest pushes Funko made. The shirts for the booth workers in 2010 were Star Wars based. I still have one somewhere.

Thank you for the kind words and info folks! :freddy3:

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:41 am

This is awesome! I love learning more about Funko's history. Particularly when it comes to Star Wars!!!
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 pm

paxderomano wrote:This is awesome! I love learning more about Funko's history. Particularly when it comes to Star Wars!!!

Glad you liked it! We might consider doing other Star Wars Funko History posts in the future.

thebeast275

Postby thebeast275 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm

This along with the history of the big bags have been quite enjoyable, anyone that has anything else like these please do share!!

GRAILS: Cortana (Halo 4)

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:
paxderomano wrote:This is awesome! I love learning more about Funko's history. Particularly when it comes to Star Wars!!!

Glad you liked it! We might consider doing other Star Wars Funko History posts in the future.

I would love that personally!
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm

This is some great stuff. I really want that proto Boba wobbler to add to my collection.
ImageImage
ImageImage

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:23 am

paxderomano wrote:

I would love that personally!

You might be interested to know we made a post regarding the History of Holographic Funko Pieces

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:24 pm

A little bit of additional mini wobbler info. There is actually a 5 pack that's missing Chewbacca and also as single 'blind boxes', given away with certain purchases from what I believe was a Scholastic catalogue (the one you got books from in school). They weren't really blind boxes though because each one had a unique UPC.

I might have some of those facts mixed up, it's been a long time since I bugged someone for that information :)
ImageImageMay the Funko Be With You

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Does the holo darth maul have a clear base or chrome base? Great write up!
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm

FunkoNewb wrote:Does the holo darth maul have a clear base or chrome base? Great write up!

Blue chrome

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:48 pm

JobaFett wrote:
FunkoNewb wrote:Does the holo darth maul have a clear base or chrome base? Great write up!

Blue chrome

Thats what I thought, the write up says "... chase pieces with clear bases" unless all the others have clear. I always thought wobbler chases were chrome base.
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

FunkoNewb wrote:
JobaFett wrote:

Blue chrome

Thats what I thought, the write up says "... chase pieces with clear bases" unless all the others have clear. I always thought wobbler chases were chrome base.

Yep, thanks for noticing that. I fixed it already.

NavyCop

Postby NavyCop » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 am

No mention of the Chase Vader Tie Fighter? Does that get counted in the 55 or is it considered different as one of two Wobblers Rides and the only one with a chase?
Host of the Nerds Take On The World podcast and a rabid Funko collector. What is better in life?
http://www.nerdstakeworld.com/

IG:NerdsTakeOnTheWorld

Still hunting for Huckleberry Hound Bank(any color but production blue) and Hanna Barbera Pez Wobblers/protos

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 pm

NavyCop wrote:No mention of the Chase Vader Tie Fighter? Does that get counted in the 55 or is it considered different as one of two Wobblers Rides and the only one with a chase?

It did get counted and I wasn't planning on mentioning the rides but I'll add them to the main post now. Thank you for your suggestion.

Megacam

Postby Megacam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:41 pm

great post! I had no idea about the mini wobbler sets. I really need to try and track them down now, lol.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Mini Christmas wobblers. Don't forget those. Sold at Target.
Funklub: 11181

Funko5ker

Postby Funko5ker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:11 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Trivia - Maul's monster artwork was revealed in the 2011 catalog but was never made :-/

That Darth Maul monster mashup concept looks so awesome. It's too bad he wasn't made :(
Rob

ISO
Yoda Freddy
Orange Tux Freddy Wobbler
Scottie Dog Wobblers

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Just wanted to update those following that we made a Star Wars Plush History post.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:54 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know we made a post for Star Wars Hikari History

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am

Funko5ker wrote:
maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Trivia - Maul's monster artwork was revealed in the 2011 catalog but was never made :-/

That Darth Maul monster mashup concept looks so awesome. It's too bad he wasn't made :(

Agreed, I would have loved to own that piece!
Cons: Comikaze' 15, SDCC '16, NYCC '16, Blizzcon '16, ECCC '17, D23 '17, SDCC '17, Blizzcon '17, ECCC '18, SDCC' 18, NYCC '18, DCON '18, SDCC '19, NYCC' 21, SDCC '22
Events: Fundays '16, Fright Night '16, Fundays '17, HQ Grand Opening '17, Fundays '18, Fundays '19, Fundays '22

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Absolutely stunning

TigerLily1276

Postby TigerLily1276 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Love the history
ImageImage Image ImageImage

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Absolutely stunning

Where to order this? Supposedly shared with HMV? Nowhere to be found on HMV ... anyone know where to get it?

zAkbar_777

Postby zAkbar_777 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm

atreyu2112 wrote:

Where to order this? Supposedly shared with HMV? Nowhere to be found on HMV ... anyone know where to get it?
"I Have to Return Some Video Tapes" instagram: cap_n_hwdy

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 pm

YES! I just saw a picture of this wacky wobbler Boba Fett proto, and absolutely love it. I think the stance and the cape adds to a cool pose.
ImageImage
ImageImage

kyten

Postby kyten » Sun May 07, 2017 11:07 am

Awesome history post! My boyfriend has gotten into the wacky wobblers and is a huge Star Wars fan. I'll have to try and hunt a free pieces down for him as a surprise. The new Boba Fett looks rad, love the flare on his cape.
Hi, I'm Mary! | San Diego, CA
@thisgeekylife on instagram

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Sun May 07, 2017 11:00 pm

zAkbar_777 wrote:
atreyu2112 wrote:

I am also interested on knowing where/how I can get this? ;-)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Tue May 16, 2017 1:58 am

Thanks for the info, great stuff :cheers:

eljefe81

Postby eljefe81 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:15 pm

At what point on the original Wacky Wobbler line did the boxes change from Red to Blue?
Proud member of Markenty's Garage

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm

eljefe81 wrote:At what point on the original Wacky Wobbler line did the boxes change from Red to Blue?

I need to check my set but I think it was after the 2nd wave. A bunch of the first 1 or 2 waves were rereleases in the blue boxes, and some a 2nd time in the newer boxes.

Danberry75

Postby Danberry75 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm

In 2007, after Brian Mariotti was already in control of Funko (Announced Fundays #3 in 2005), Brian announced the agreement with Lucasfilm to produce Star Wars Wacky Wobblers! This was huge news for Funko and evidence of their growth and respect in the collectibles community.

What about the SDCC 2007 Shock Trooper Wacky Wobbler? This is from my collection.
Funko collector & Comic Con veteran
SDCC 1993-1996, 2000-19, 2022
WonderCon 2015-19, 2022
C2E2 2015-16
Silicon Valley Comic Con 2017-19
ECCC 2017-19, 21-22
LBCC 2016-19
LBCE 2016-20, 22
TwitchCon 2016-17, 19
Comikaze/Stan Lee's Los Angeles Comic Con/Los Angeles Comic Con 2015-19
DesignerCon 2015-19, 21
SD Comic Fest 2017-20, 22
D23 2015, 2017, 2019
Comic Con Revolution 2018-19, 21-22
Amazing Comic Con Las Vegas 2018-19

and many, many more!

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Danberry75 wrote:
In 2007, after Brian Mariotti was already in control of Funko (Announced Fundays #3 in 2005), Brian announced the agreement with Lucasfilm to produce Star Wars Wacky Wobblers! This was huge news for Funko and evidence of their growth and respect in the collectibles community.

What about the SDCC 2007 Shock Trooper Wacky Wobbler? This is from my collection.

WOW, pretty cool piece there!
ImageImage
ImageImage

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Danberry75 wrote:What about the SDCC 2007 Shock Trooper Wacky Wobbler? This is from my collection.

Thanks for catching that. This was released in July for SDCC (along with Holo Vader), at the same time as Vader and the regular Clone Trooper!

Danberry75

Postby Danberry75 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Danberry75 wrote:What about the SDCC 2007 Shock Trooper Wacky Wobbler? This is from my collection.

Thanks for catching that. This was released in July for SDCC (along with Holo Vader), at the same time as Vader and the regular Clone Trooper!

Yep! I bought it at their booth that year, haha. :)
Funko collector & Comic Con veteran
SDCC 1993-1996, 2000-19, 2022
WonderCon 2015-19, 2022
C2E2 2015-16
Silicon Valley Comic Con 2017-19
ECCC 2017-19, 21-22
LBCC 2016-19
LBCE 2016-20, 22
TwitchCon 2016-17, 19
Comikaze/Stan Lee's Los Angeles Comic Con/Los Angeles Comic Con 2015-19
DesignerCon 2015-19, 21
SD Comic Fest 2017-20, 22