Are Hikaris really THAT limited

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
hikanteki

Re: Are Hikaris really THAT limited

Postby hikanteki » Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Hikaris are limited in supply...but not really limited in demand. I'm not sure if they ever will be, just because they have a very high list price. During the ECCC Funko exclusive fiasco of 2016, virtually the only (non-shared) piece that didn't go up in value was the Hikari, and that had the lowest numbers of them all.

During FCBD last weekend, one of the stores had a 90% off clearance shelf. They had a couple Greedo Hikaris for 90% off ($5), and they weren't exactly selling fast...or at all :X
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Funko has done some amazing hikari pieces, but the price point does turn some people away from them. I'm actually a bigger fan of the ones made my Mindstyle like the Dragon King, etc...the ones based on western characters are hit or miss to me. I think the Mickey Mouse ones are brilliant...but yeah hikari are an acquired taste...

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 pm

hikanteki wrote:Hikaris are limited in supply...but not really limited in demand. I'm not sure if they ever will be, just because they have a very high list price. During the ECCC Funko exclusive fiasco of 2016, virtually the only (non-shared) piece that didn't go up in value was the Hikari, and that had the lowest numbers of them all.

During FCBD last weekend, one of the stores had a 90% off clearance shelf. They had a couple Greedo Hikaris for 90% off ($5), and they weren't exactly selling fast...or at all :X

Balance between production & demand seems to have evened out pretty well in the last year or two. They do not have the audience that Pops or Dorbz do but it's hard to compare a $50-$80 item to $8-12 items.

What shop had the $5 Greedos? That might be worth a visit next time I am over that way...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Tue May 09, 2017 11:53 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
hikanteki wrote:Hikaris are limited in supply...but not really limited in demand. I'm not sure if they ever will be, just because they have a very high list price. During the ECCC Funko exclusive fiasco of 2016, virtually the only (non-shared) piece that didn't go up in value was the Hikari, and that had the lowest numbers of them all.

Balance between production & demand seems to have evened out pretty well in the last year or two. They do not have the audience that Pops or Dorbz do but it's hard to compare a $50-$80 item to $8-12 items.

What shop had the $5 Greedos? That might be worth a visit next time I am over that way...

Illusive, in Santa Clara
http://www.illusivecomics.com/

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am

hikanteki wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

Illusive, in Santa Clara

Thanks! I am not too far from you in Reno, over in the Bay area on a semi-regular basis, might have to make a trip down that way next visit.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am

Apparently, they are seeing how I have yet to see one anywhere.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
hikanteki wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

Illusive, in Santa Clara

Thanks! I am not too far from you in Reno, over in the Bay area on a semi-regular basis, might have to make a trip down that way next visit.

Sure thing! Are you coming to the Sac FDO?

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

hikanteki wrote:
Sure thing! Are you coming to the Sac FDO?

Sadly no. Wanted to but combination of lacrosse game on Saturday (I coach) and grad school semester wrapping up killed the chance for me. Hopefully next time!

PopDaddy

Postby PopDaddy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:54 am

Can't wait to see Kylo Ren escape my shopping cart lol
WTB: Luffy color proto

randig

Postby randig » Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am

I am surprised sometimes when they have LE 1500 but I trust that funko knows what they are doing.

They need more mini hikari though
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Thu May 11, 2017 10:25 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:Funko has done some amazing hikari pieces, but the price point does turn some people away from them. I'm actually a bigger fan of the ones made my Mindstyle like the Dragon King, etc...the ones based on western characters are hit or miss to me. I think the Mickey Mouse ones are brilliant...but yeah hikari are an acquired taste...

Same here. Not all characters translate well to the Hikari style, especially the superhero stuff. Batman is a great sculpt, but Spidey (one of my favorite characters) was a letdown. I like the different paint apps and glitter treatments, but I think I'm in the minority there. I used to think that they should have started with Mini-Hikari and moved up. Now that they're doing it, I'm very happy, but they seem to be following the Pop-Dorbz-Pint Sized aesthetic, meaning they look like clear, glitter Dorbz.

And I agree....they knocked Mickey out of the park.
Funklub: 11181

Lasd6141

Postby Lasd6141 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 am

Hikari are limited , however they just don't appeal to me. I think the retail price tends to drive people away from them .
ImageImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Squird wrote:Same here. Not all characters translate well to the Hikari style, especially the superhero stuff. Batman is a great sculpt, but Spidey (one of my favorite characters) was a letdown. I like the different paint apps and glitter treatments, but I think I'm in the minority there. I used to think that they should have started with Mini-Hikari and moved up. Now that they're doing it, I'm very happy, but they seem to be following the Pop-Dorbz-Pint Sized aesthetic, meaning they look like clear, glitter Dorbz.

And I agree....they knocked Mickey out of the park.

Spidey being one of the originals is a bit off. I would love to see them take another shot at him in his classic comic look and the normal scale so he would fit in with the other classic comic HIkari.

I for one love the different paint/glitter effects. That was one of huge appeals to be when I started collecting them, to the point where I try to limit more sculpts to 3 variations in my collection just to keep it contained.

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Thu May 11, 2017 2:21 pm

They were giving away Bumblebee Hikari's last year with Transformers purchases at Entertainment Earth. I agree that some characters translate better than others. I do like my TMNT Hikari...
:king: Mike

Squird

Postby Squird » Thu May 11, 2017 3:18 pm

comic book guy wrote:They were giving away Bumblebee Hikari's last year with Transformers purchases at Entertainment Earth. I agree that some characters translate better than others. I do like my TMNT Hikari...

It was TMNT and Batman that gave me high hopes when they first released. The sculpts were clean and unique. The Transformers didn't work for me at all. Universal Monsters were okay. The Creature was great, but Frank was a muddle.

If they could have nailed down the price in the 20.00 range I think they would have been more widely accepted in the beginning.

And Spidey was just too out of scale. Make him a mini for the Homecoming box.
Funklub: 11181

funko_vinz

Postby funko_vinz » Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Definitely agree that Hikaris are an acquired taste and that the price tag that goes with it doesn't help. The only Hikari I purchased was the Megazord one from Wal-Mart. The only reason was that it was a cool GITD Blue color. Also, I agree with the comments above, I do like the mini Hikaris since they also take up less space.

IG: Funko_VinZ
ISO: Saint Seiya Protos
Recently acquired: Saint Seiya Pops :cheers:
2016 Fundays: Team Deadpool, 2017 Fundays: Team Hogwarts, 2018 Fundays: Team Goonies, 2019 Fundays: Team Loko Moko, 2021 Fundays: Team Funko Force

stevenxanthony

Postby stevenxanthony » Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 pm

There are very few Hikaris that I love but every once in a while I see one I have to have. I somehow just saw the Mindstyle Hopping Ghosts ones and had to order one. It'll be here later this week :)

I also have a Deadpool and a Stitch. I think the Mickey Mouse ones are awesome, might try for one of those next.
Proto Collector - Anime Fan - Music Fan - Photographer

IG: stevenxanthony
Twitter: @steven_anthony

jloc17

Postby jloc17 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Honestly, I don't think they are that popular. It's probably why they don't make as many to begin with.

profb

Postby profb » Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 pm

I think that the hikari line exists as a different type of toy technique. Unfortunately most people that collect funko don't take them out of the box. So the differences can't be appreciated with these figures due to box biased

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 pm

I think it's good that they are low run editions. If they made way too many and no one buys them retailers aren't happy. I feel like in the future it could be where they are a pain to find. Example being Megazord's, that sparked other peoples interest. I feel it just takes a character/line to get someone into Hikari

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Treblemdk wrote:I think it's good that they are low run editions. If they made way too many and no one buys them retailers aren't happy. I feel like in the future it could be where they are a pain to find. Example being Megazord's, that sparked other peoples interest. I feel it just takes a character/line to get someone into Hikari

I thought maybe Disney/Mickey Mouse would be he catalyst that might put Hikari into overdrive with folks but didn't really seem to be the case. Definitely got the line some interest though.

Very interesting to see the positive buzz that Huckleberry Hound and Frankenberry are getting. Maybe these will be the licenses that help Hikari gain a bit more traction with folks.

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Sat May 20, 2017 12:39 am

mohawkjones wrote:
Treblemdk wrote:I think it's good that they are low run editions. If they made way too many and no one buys them retailers aren't happy. I feel like in the future it could be where they are a pain to find. Example being Megazord's, that sparked other peoples interest. I feel it just takes a character/line to get someone into Hikari

I thought maybe Disney/Mickey Mouse would be he catalyst that might put Hikari into overdrive with folks but didn't really seem to be the case. Definitely got the line some interest though.

Very interesting to see the positive buzz that Huckleberry Hound and Frankenberry are getting. Maybe these will be the licenses that help Hikari gain a bit more traction with folks.

Same here, I loved Stitch, Mickey, Buzz. But Maleficent could've been better. Jack Skellington was alright.
Maybe it's how the releases are, a couple of one figure then on to the next. Maybe different figures you like & want to collect the set. Instead of one mold with multiple colorways released back to back

profb

Postby profb » Sat May 20, 2017 3:59 am

They need to stay Truer to the monsters and robots. I think that's where this line shines. The ability for detail and colorization. The color ways are tradition but also what I think kills it for a lot of people

MartinMtz702

Postby MartinMtz702 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am

The blue/purple Mickey is what made me cave and start collecting Hikari
Image Image Image Image

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Treblemdk wrote:Same here, I loved Stitch, Mickey, Buzz. But Maleficent could've been better. Jack Skellington was alright.
Maybe it's how the releases are, a couple of one figure then on to the next. Maybe different figures you like & want to collect the set. Instead of one mold with multiple colorways released back to back

I agree with the idea but I think the issue is production runs to justify costs. Hikaris run in pretty small numbers. The color ways are needed to get enough pieces out of the molds to justify the production costs. Far cheaper to keep a mold in use and change colors than to keep dragging it out for 250 pieces here, 500 pieces there. So banging them all out at once makes the most sense. At the same time nobody wants to warehouse the production run to ration them out down the line, that is another expense that works against the bottom line of the series. I agree that it would be fun to see them mixed up a little more more and not hit the wallet so hard with multiple releases of a sculpt in quick succession but at the end of the day I get why it is.

*This is just my speculation based on my knowledge of how the toy industry and production works based on time as a retailer and working with some companies in the past. There are plenty of other factors and logistics involved, like shipping them all at once is far cheaper than divided shipments, that I really do not know about. This is just my best guess.

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Mon May 22, 2017 6:31 pm

I like Hikari regardless of how many are made ;) .
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 am

I have never really gotten into Hikaris, that being said if there is something neat at SDCC and numbered I might finally give it a shot. I do like Robots! :D :bounce:

-IntlPopper
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

Dk123

Postby Dk123 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Any idea which Disney figure will be produced next under this line?

Moepops

Postby Moepops » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Only have one hikari and 5 mini hikari. One I won and the others are Star Wars. Not sure I'll get anymore. So I don't keep up on the hikari numbers
Hi name is moe. Always willing to help a fellow collector. I'm funko_moepops on IG. :colors:
Funko funklub no.11782
Image Image

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm

i don't think they are inexpensive? they're actually pretty pricey :cherry:
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I really do love some of the Hikaris, but due to space and money that is one line I can't get into right now.
ImageImage
ImageImage

mel

Postby mel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Good place for Hikari lovers is the clearance items on toywars.com and fugitive. Real deals to be had there! I love the Hikari line, but we also collect sofubi as well and understand the prices.
I'm a PBS Nerd!

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 am

Started reading up hikari posts since I picked up my green freddy funko, this thread is great and great explanation by Alex, love the detail in hikari, price is a game changer get 3 to 4 pops or 1 hikari tough choices but then again choose what u like. Definitely looking for more freddys
:freddy3:

Return to “Hikari”