Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
Brotha_man_davw

Re: Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Postby Brotha_man_davw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 pm

I mean when I first saw funko pops when I was in high school/early college I didn't think I would like them ...now I have 200 or so #-o I think it just depends if they make popular characters
Names Dave sup.

I collect Star Wars :SW9: and walking dead etc.

Pops: 210+

Alumencia

Postby Alumencia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 am

The first time I say a Hikari in Hot Topic, I was drawn in to look closer because of the limited edition sticker. I was promptly turned away by the $80 price tag though. After that, I haven't even bothered to look at them.

The high price point is a big no for me. I may reconsider them if they come down in price, but honestly I can't say for sure. I never really looked at them in detail because of the price tag. I can't say for sure I'd buy them even for standard Pop prices.

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm

I wonder if the mini Hikaris are going to blow up more now. I think their price point is more attractive to collectors, and the style is different enough from Pops to be unique.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 pm

kihou wrote:I wonder if the mini Hikaris are going to blow up more now. I think their price point is more attractive to collectors, and the style is different enough from Pops to be unique.

I think it depends on your definition of blowing up. If we will compare every line to POP!, most if not all will be destined to fail. I do, however, agree that Mini Hikari appear (at least for now) to be more successful than the regular Hikari because: 1) the price point is more acceptable for most who are not in that niche market for sofubi, 2) they have borrowed from the design language of the POP! line, and 3) they have done a better job of tapping into that "chase" thrill collectors get and the "need" to have them all (just look at the Vader chase and Chopper from Smugglers Bounty).

That being said, I think that despite the price being more "acceptable" to people who collect Funko's other affordable lines, it is still rather high, which is one of the reasons why the 2pack Greedos didn't sell out and are still available. If we want to be quite frank, both Hikari and Mini Hikari are actually very reasonably priced compared to other comparable Sofubi and Funko has done a wonderful job but most people are not in the niche market for Sofubi and are not viewing the pricing through that context but rather in more absolute terms ($80 vs >$15)

We also have a very limited set of data to go off on. Perhaps, while many love Greedo, he might not be the type of main character that will make people feel like they "need" to have him (no offense Greedo lovers, I am amongst you). Perhaps if/when they release for regular retail main characters from Star Wars, Marvel and DC, the line will become more main stream and sell quite well. I know Freddys are being sold on the Funko Shop right now but they are also a niche market so it's hard to draw any solid conclusions from that.

I guess only time will tell...

Thrillofthehunt

Postby Thrillofthehunt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 pm

I think mini hikari could go more widespread given the size and price point. The full size hikaris are for a niche market, and will likely not blow up (and they may not be intending for it to expand as widely as pops but rather focus on the niche collector willing to pay for it)
:freddy3: Image ImageImage

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:19 am

Given that the Star Wars Hikari don't seem to be popular, I don't see Hikari blowing up any time soon.

Kaosu

Postby Kaosu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 am

Hikari look awesome they just take up too much space and I'm already running out with all the pops and dorbz. That's why I got the mini hikari, also more affordable :)
Hello!! My name is Jonathan
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am

Kaosu wrote:Hikari look awesome they just take up too much space and I'm already running out with all the pops and dorbz. That's why I got the mini hikari, also more affordable :)

If the minis were something other than Freddy, say X-Men, I would be there.

tinkerbell055

Postby tinkerbell055 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 pm

I love my Hikaris. I definitely would have bought more if the prices were lower, but I don't mind paying a little more for a character I love. I have four Maleficent Hikaris (one of which I customized!) alone, and I'd have bought more if they'd made more colorways I liked. I hope that they make more Disney characters into Hikaris! I'd like to see more Marvel and DC ones, too, but I hope they have better molds going forward. Cap looked weird IMO, and Harley was CREEPY. The Night King Hikari's mold was AMAZING. I was tempted to buy one (THAT AURORA COLORWAY :D :D) even though I'm not a GoT fan.

nanite

Postby nanite » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I have a sinking feeling that Hikari are all over. We'll see at SDCC.
Hi, I'm Seth!
Please visit my custom thread: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58421

gospeedracer

Postby gospeedracer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

I love the new mini Hikari Freddy. And would buy more of the Mini. But the bigger ones would take over my office, house and probably put me in the dog house with my wife.

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am

I only own a few Predator Hikari and all the Megazord ones. They're neat but as a collector i need to love it. The price tag kinda kills it a bit unfortunately

Tradebark

Postby Tradebark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 am

I like the idea and packaging behind Hikari, but honestly some of the designs are IMO lacking. Kylo, groot and many others have odd proportions, but I think they nailed Phasma and Boba very well.

Younger_Avenger

Postby Younger_Avenger » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:43 am

I do like them. But I have yet to really find one of a character that I had to have.
TWD: Aaron GOT: Loras Tyrell AHS: Kit, Lana, Kyle, Jimmy

Wants; -King of the hill -Archie/Riverdale -Charmed

scholora

Postby scholora » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 am

Minis has a chance. The big ones aren't really sought after at all. They arent nearly as cute either :)

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 am

When are more Batmen coming? I was thinking Green Lantern would also make a good mold.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

OMGiTsCayla

Postby OMGiTsCayla » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am

Brotha_man_davw wrote:I mean when I first saw funko pops when I was in high school/early college I didn't think I would like them ...now I have 200 or so #-o I think it just depends if they make popular characters

Let me just point out how awesome your signature is lol!!! :eek:

Hi! My name is Cayla
follow me on Instagram:wtfitscayla

:cheshire:
LunaPop Customs

OMGiTsCayla

Postby OMGiTsCayla » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 am

Valde wrote:When are more Batmen coming? I was thinking Green Lantern would also make a good mold.

Green Lantern in glow in the dark vinyl would look really cool! With different poses and stuff!

Hi! My name is Cayla

LunaPop Customs

Brotha_man_davw

Postby Brotha_man_davw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 pm

MrsPlusOne wrote:
Brotha_man_davw wrote:I mean when I first saw funko pops when I was in high school/early college I didn't think I would like them ...now I have 200 or so #-o I think it just depends if they make popular characters

Lol thanks yours is cool too. I have no idea how to add pics like that :-k
Names Dave sup.

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 pm

I've seen so many hikari over the years that I have wanted to jump on. Maybe this will be the year I start picking them up, I just know how these things go. Today it's oh I like this one, next year it's my god I need every one I see.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

OMGiTsCayla

Postby OMGiTsCayla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Brotha_man_davw wrote:
MrsPlusOne wrote:

It took me forever to figure it out.. Lots of resizing from this website that I dont remember.. I hear through the vines that instagram photos can be linked here! So its easy to share!

Hi! My name is Cayla

LunaPop Customs

profb

Postby profb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 am

I think hikari is in a weird place. The origin is based on color variants, but everyone here gets sick of the same mold so quickly, They do 2 or 3 variants and everyone is calling for heads to roll.
But if they use 1 colorway and make a ton of them then no one will buy because they will be everywhere

BigPhilV88

Postby BigPhilV88 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:42 am

theraven00 wrote:I think the price point is too high and the footprint too big. Pop! and Dorbz are able to get into a lot of stores due to their size (same with the mystery minis and pint size heroes) and price point (I don't foresee an $80 Hikari getting into Walgreens or Walmart in mass quantities). Spending $5-10 on a mini, Dorbz, or Pop! doesn't make too many consumers second guess their purchase, but you get north of $20 and the psyche changes.

From Funko's standpoint it probably still makes sense to produce them in limited quantities. I don't know their profit margin, but typical retail is double wholesale and wholesale double cost, so if it's retail for $80, then wholesale is around $40 and Funko's cost probably around $20. So they can make $10,000 per 500 limited run (using rough numbers). Assuming Pop!s have the same price points, they probably make around $2.50 per Pop! so they'd have to sell 4,000 Pop!s to get the same return.

I agree. I was going to type something similar to this, but you summed it up nicely! =D>
:freddy2:

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:17 pm

I think hikari tale way too much room. Minis I think will do better.
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Probably. For now, Hikari seems to be Funko's secondary.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Stitch626

Postby Stitch626 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I really love the designs but like others have said , they take up so much room. I have a few and they are a great addition to my collection but I don't see myself buying more.
ImageImage
ImageImage. Image.

MartinMtz702

Postby MartinMtz702 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm

i take my hikari out of box and put their LE# card under their feet where I position them.

need more Disney hikari
Image Image Image Image

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:09 pm

kdmlvr wrote:I think hikari tale way too much room. Minis I think will do better.

Stitch626 wrote:I really love the designs but like others have said , they take up so much room. I have a few and they are a great addition to my collection but I don't see myself buying more.

Thing with that argument is that a hikari figure's footprint is really only that of about 2 pops OOB. In box they are slightly larger than 2 pops but not more than 3 pops. Much taller yes on both accounts, so that is valid point when it comes to shelf height/display. And one can not jam as many OOB into a small space/shelf or double stack a wall full of Hikari boxes like you can pops but to be honest, and no offense meant to anyone, that usually looks more like a cluttered mess than a fun, clean display.

I really think Hikari come down to different strokes for different folks. They are not meant to be for the same audience as Pops. Price point, materials and crazy colorways all point to a very different demographic. They are the Acura to the pop that is a Honda Civic. All made by the same company but with very different audiences in the end. You can not try to justify a Hikari to a die-hard pop fan, they will not get it and there is nothing wrong with that because they are not the intended audience.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:16 pm

MartinMtz702 wrote:i take my hikari out of box and put their LE# card under their feet where I position them.

need more Disney hikari

Yes, please! There are still quite a few Disney/Pixar characters that would make for killer Hikari figures.

Donald, Chip & Dale (heck I would take those guys as a mini two-pack any day), Woody, Sally, Wreck-it-Ralph, Baymax, Beast, Pinocho, Mike, Sully, Snow Witch, Haunted Mansion Bride & Hitchhikers, Jolly Roger, Yeti, Ursula, Scrooge McDuck... and that's just off the top of my head. I am sure others could list way more.

Plus I am still waiting for a regular classic colors Jack Skelington...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Kaosu

Postby Kaosu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

I have always liked them but they take up too much space. I did get all the Mini Hikari though
Hello!! My name is Jonathan
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MartinMtz702

Postby MartinMtz702 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:21 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
MartinMtz702 wrote:i take my hikari out of box and put their LE# card under their feet where I position them.

need more Disney hikari

Yes, please! There are still quite a few Disney/Pixar characters that would make for killer Hikari figures.

Donald, Chip & Dale (heck I would take those guys as a mini two-pack any day), Woody, Sally, Wreck-it-Ralph, Baymax, Beast, Pinocho, Mike, Sully, Snow Witch, Haunted Mansion Bride & Hitchhikers, Jolly Roger, Yeti, Ursula, Scrooge McDuck... and that's just off the top of my head. I am sure others could list way more.

Plus I am still waiting for a regular classic colors Jack Skelington...

Goofy would make a great Hikari
Image Image Image Image

TRIAD

Postby TRIAD » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Id like to see Hikari come back but at a lesser price point. They should especially revisit the Star Wars Hikari but the price needs to drop dramatically!

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm

I Like them, I have a gigantor and Freddy but like others said, the price is just a bit too much! :colors:
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Brotha_man_davw

Postby Brotha_man_davw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm

MrsPlusOne wrote:
Brotha_man_davw wrote:
MrsPlusOne wrote:Let me just point out how awesome your signature is lol!!! :eek:

It took me forever to figure it out.. Lots of resizing from this website that I dont remember.. I hear through the vines that instagram photos can be linked here! So its easy to share!

Ouu okay I'll look into . I wanna add thise cool funko badges too lol
Names Dave sup.

datfunkojawn

Postby datfunkojawn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Can't see it blowing up.. especially when they are $50-$80 a piece which is not so affordable to some of the younger collectors..

Also, they don't really look cute/cool looking :-/
Collecting since March '16 - Philadelphia, PA - My Motto: "Buy it NOW, Regret it LATER"
IG: datfunkojawn
Collection: Freddy Funko / Disney / Dragon Ball / Game of Thrones

ImageImage

OMGiTsCayla

Postby OMGiTsCayla » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 am

Brotha_man_davw wrote:
MrsPlusOne wrote:
Brotha_man_davw wrote:

Ouu okay I'll look into . I wanna add thise cool funko badges too lol

Those would be cool! I'm not sure how to add more than one picture of anything though!

Hi! My name is Cayla

LunaPop Customs

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 am

They have the most limited pieces and they are unique I think they have a chance my first hikari was tent Michelangelo his sick
:freddy3:

BennyV07

Postby BennyV07 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 am

I'm not sure if they will "Blow up" but I love me Megazord and Astro Boy Hikaris. Wouldn't sell them. Thinking about adding Stay Puft Glitter to the collection.

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Wow Those iron men look amazing
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

King Midas

Postby King Midas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm

My great aunt used to get these weird cologne and perfume bottles shaped like characters, cars, etc. They would be on shelves in her bedroom and bathroom and for whatever reason I just didn't like them. Every time I see Hikari I think of those bottles. Only one I have thought about getting is the Gold Batman.

Return to “Hikari”