Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Jwbaseketball

Re: Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Postby Jwbaseketball » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am

These are the first Minis I’m collecting just because they are LOTR. Those ratios on the exclusives are crazy limited. Hoping patience pays off and the prices come down.
Jordon

Iron Man, Captain America, LOTR/Hobbit Fanatic.

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Mystlurker wrote:I've found weights vary by as much as 3-4g on some minis. Others are always within 0.5g, even in the same set. In the Rogue One set Phasma tormented me because it had a wide range for some reason.

Agreed... they're not going to be exactly the same, and even just a bit more glue on the box to keep the lid down can throw them out...

I make my own spreadsheets with weights of series that I'm collecting so I can make a graph that shows the min/avg/max weights and where they overlap and the last few like LOTR and WBs have been pretty much on point with only usually a gram difference between min and max, WB especially, but those Star Wars ones, jeez... Both series had SO MANY so close in weight and often had an up to 3-4g difference between min and max that it was impossible to pick even with a scale... and with the stands glued on to TLJ ones, it even screwed with the old fashioned shake test as well...

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 pm

my original conversation with funko and their replies

Kmr926
Feb 18, 11:53 AM PST
Name:
Kevin
Description:
I was wondering if there will be any more lord of the rings mystery minis at hot topic? They haven't had any new stock in weeks and only had a couple cases . Is this run coming to an end or will there be more coming out soon? Thanks for your time. I hope to hear back from you. Thanks again, Kevin

Funko Support (Funko)
Feb 19, 3:11 PM PST
Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for reaching out to us! We don't have insight into retailer stock or ordering information, nor their decision to distribute their inventory among their physical and online locations. This means your best bet for more information about when these figures will be back in stock is to continue reaching out to the Hot Topic where you shop. 

Thank you, 
The Funko Support Team 

Kmr926
Feb 19, 4:23 PM PST
Thanks for repliing. I understand you don't control retail stocking, however, my main question is availability. When will the Lord of the rings mystery minis exclusives stop being made and available to retailers. Thanks again
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®4
-------- Original message --------

Hi Kevin, 

I'm not able to provide you with that information; I'm very sorry about that! We don't have the ability to comment on the license of a figure, and do not announce when items have been vaulted.

Thank you, 
The Funko Support Team 

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Well, that wasn't what I was hoping for.

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:25 am

Untouched case high up on the shelf at my walmart yesterday - scored a Nazgul! YES!
Image ImageImage Image

GundamJaeger

Postby GundamJaeger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 am

Katers wrote:Untouched case high up on the shelf at my walmart yesterday - scored a Nazgul! YES!

Awesome, congrats. I'm still trying to find a Nazgul. Was he in top left of case? I've seen ppl saying that there's a specific layout. Thanks

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 am

GundamJaeger wrote:
Katers wrote:Untouched case high up on the shelf at my walmart yesterday - scored a Nazgul! YES!

Awesome, congrats. I'm still trying to find a Nazgul. Was he in top left of case? I've seen ppl saying that there's a specific layout. Thanks

For the common cases, it does seem that top left back seems to be the sweet spot. I’ve found two Nazgul there myself

GundamJaeger

Postby GundamJaeger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am

MattyPHATty wrote:
GundamJaeger wrote:

For the common cases, it does seem that top left back seems to be the sweet spot. I’ve found two Nazgul there myself

Oh ok, I gotta try this method. Nazgul is the last one I need for normal cases. I never even came accross a case at either of the two hot topics near me. So I fear I'll never have Lutz. I got a few duplicates, Sauron, Saruman, Golden Gimli and Invisible Frodo if anyone wants to trade.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 am

GundamJaeger wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
GundamJaeger wrote:Awesome, congrats. I'm still trying to find a Nazgul. Was he in top left of case? I've seen ppl saying that there's a specific layout. Thanks

Oh ok, I gotta try this method. Nazgul is the last one I need for normal cases. I never even came accross a case at either of the two hot topics near me. So I fear I'll never have Lutz. I got a few duplicates, Sauron, Saruman, Golden Gimli and Invisible Frodo if anyone wants to trade.

Good luck to you my friend. A little tip, Nazgul will be quite heavy also. Only thing heavier in the common cases are Gimli and Gandalf. Hope that helps

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm

does anyone have the item number/upc/dpci for the common boxes/cases? still in search for nazgul. got an extra arwen and glow Galadriel for trade. thanks!

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:04 pm

still dry at our hot topic stores. no news of restocks either.

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm

GundamJaeger wrote:

He was top back left. Had my scale on, and weighed everything since I didn't know the layout. I'll keep an eye out for more cases in case I can help anyone out with him - I'm not shooting for 9 of them!
Image ImageImage Image

JohnnyQwest

Postby JohnnyQwest » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Katers wrote:
GundamJaeger wrote:

He was top back left. Had my scale on, and weighed everything since I didn't know the layout. I'll keep an eye out for more cases in case I can help anyone out with him - I'm not shooting for 9 of them!

Nice! Can anyone verify that its always Top-Back-Left or was that a truly untouched case?

stacyinil

Postby stacyinil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm

I was really surprised to get a Pippin, Galadriel, and Invisible Frodo when I bought what was left at B&N over the weekend. I just need a few more to complete the fellowship--Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, and Merry.

Stacy in IL

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 pm

stacyinil wrote:I was really surprised to get a Pippin, Galadriel, and Invisible Frodo when I bought what was left at B&N over the weekend. I just need a few more to complete the fellowship--Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, and Merry.

Stacy in IL

I can help you with both Aragorn and Boromir if you want. Merry too, I think.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 pm

stacyinil wrote:I was really surprised to get a Pippin, Galadriel, and Invisible Frodo when I bought what was left at B&N over the weekend. I just need a few more to complete the fellowship--Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, and Merry.

Stacy in IL

I can help you with all the five you need. Have lots of duplicates. Still searching for nazgul and I’ve all but given up on the hot topic exclusives.

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 pm

I am amazed that HT doesn't seem to be restocking these. All the ones around me are completely sold out. Not even any common ones left for the most part. And I can't even find common cases anywhere yet that haven't been totally picked over. Part of me really wants to go for the 8 Nazgul just because they look so dang cool together, but i am unwilling to resort to ebay and I can't see myself actually finding more than maybe 1 or 2 if I am seriously lucky in the wild.
Hi, I'm Merri!

CrownlessKing

Postby CrownlessKing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Hot Topic tends to go live on Periscope with these two girls and one of the girls name is Nerdette that works for HT and their exclusive funko pops. I asked her on stream, if there will be any restocks on the LOTR mystery minis & she said probably not. Since most of them are already sold out and a few select stores might have a few cases. This is sad news for us trying to get those exclusives. Looks like I’ll have to deal with not having Lurtz & Eowyn, and just hunt down the last remaining figures I need to complete the common set. Sadden but then again I’m more sad I spent nearly 200 dollars going through boxes without buying any off eBay (which I might need to do with Galadriel & Nazgul). It could have been worse and made those exclusives to only toys r us lol.

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

JohnnyQwest wrote:
Katers wrote:
GundamJaeger wrote:Awesome, congrats. I'm still trying to find a Nazgul. Was he in top left of case? I've seen ppl saying that there's a specific layout. Thanks

Nice! Can anyone verify that its always Top-Back-Left or was that a truly untouched case?

Top front left can have the rare ones too. However it seems the nazgul is usually in the back from what I've found and heard.
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm

w00kiee77 wrote:
Mystlurker wrote:I've found weights vary by as much as 3-4g on some minis. Others are always within 0.5g, even in the same set. In the Rogue One set Phasma tormented me because it had a wide range for some reason.

Agreed... they're not going to be exactly the same, and even just a bit more glue on the box to keep the lid down can throw them out...

I make my own spreadsheets with weights of series that I'm collecting so I can make a graph that shows the min/avg/max weights and where they overlap and the last few like LOTR and WBs have been pretty much on point with only usually a gram difference between min and max, WB especially, but those Star Wars ones, jeez... Both series had SO MANY so close in weight and often had an up to 3-4g difference between min and max that it was impossible to pick even with a scale... and with the stands glued on to TLJ ones, it even screwed with the old fashioned shake test as well...

Hah wow, I do the exact same. I have a Google Doc with a list of all my measurements of the ones I've found then sorted by avg, including min/max. Lots of series have ones where there is 5-6 in a range of 2g, like SW around 53g, makes it a pain, but at least once I get all the ones in that range I can skip those. Other people's lists are useful for the broad ranges and knowing when you've completed a range.
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

First: Soldier 76
Favorite: Headless Ned Stark
Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot
ISO: Metallic Thing; Metallic Genie; Metallic (SDCC) Captain America

professorratigan

Postby professorratigan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Stopped by Hot Topic today to see if they'd gotten a restock. Nope. Ah, well. Went to Gamestop, bought a box. Scored the Nazgul. Woot! Stopped by Books-a-Million and tried my luck there. And look what happened:

-Two in one night? After a week of really bad luck; grandfather was in the hospital, (thankfully he's recuperated) plus getting Strep Throat again myself for the THIRD TIME THIS WINTER, ugh) this felt like the universe was at least balancing things out a bit. Lol. Funny thing, I only wanted to get the villains out of this series. So far, I've scored Saruman and the Nazgul. I need the Witch-King, Sauron and Lurtz now. I wound up with an extra Saruman, too, trying to get Sauron. And I can confirm that both of these were pulled from the Back-Left spot in the case.

...So, yeah. Witch-King, Sauron. Lurtz. ;-)
Collecting since: August 24, 2014
First POP: Hannibal Lecter (#25)
Most Recent POP: Dodoria

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 am

Well with 700+ comments, we will probably get a Hobbit mystery mini line in 6 months or so. Hopefully HT will have more cases, or better ratios.....

cheekylyssa

Postby cheekylyssa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 am

FredKruger wrote:Well with 700+ comments, we will probably get a Hobbit mystery mini line in 6 months or so. Hopefully HT will have more cases, or better ratios.....

I don't think I can handle that. I think this line of minis has broken me..haven't been able to find several, including the one I wanted most (Eowyn, my fave character) and don't think I want them enough to pay ebay prices (I could've had some grail pops for the total cost). I think I've learned I'm not cut out for the mystery game. ](*,) You mystery mini folks have my utmost respect.

Katers

Postby Katers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:52 am

JohnnyQwest wrote:
Katers wrote:

I can verify that it was truly untouched in the sense that it was on the top shelf - the high one that you can only reach if you're in the 6' range. I find that generally people do NOT look up to the tall shelves! That being said though, the case itself wasn't shrink-wrapped or anything, so theoretically the employees that put it up there could have shifted things. It didn't have that look to it though.
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:58 am

Grex54 wrote:
JohnnyQwest wrote:
Katers wrote:

Top front left can have the rare ones too. However it seems the nazgul is usually in the back from what I've found and heard.

Good to know! I don't think it was anyone exciting, but since I put the case back up on the high shelf, we'll see what's there next time I go in!
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 am

professorratigan wrote:Stopped by Hot Topic today to see if they'd gotten a restock. Nope. Ah, well. Went to Gamestop, bought a box. Scored the Nazgul. Woot! Stopped by Books-a-Million and tried my luck there. And look what happened:

-Two in one night? After a week of really bad luck; grandfather was in the hospital, (thankfully he's recuperated) plus getting Strep Throat again myself for the THIRD TIME THIS WINTER, ugh) this felt like the universe was at least balancing things out a bit. Lol. Funny thing, I only wanted to get the villains out of this series. So far, I've scored Saruman and the Nazgul. I need the Witch-King, Sauron and Lurtz now. I wound up with an extra Saruman, too, trying to get Sauron. And I can confirm that both of these were pulled from the Back-Left spot in the case.

Huzzah to a restored balance in the universe! Congratulations - that's just awesome for you!
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 am

cheekylyssa wrote:
FredKruger wrote:Well with 700+ comments, we will probably get a Hobbit mystery mini line in 6 months or so. Hopefully HT will have more cases, or better ratios.....

I don't think I can handle that. I think this line of minis has broken me..haven't been able to find several, including the one I wanted most (Eowyn, my fave character) and don't think I want them enough to pay ebay prices (I could've had some grail pops for the total cost). I think I've learned I'm not cut out for the mystery game. ](*,) You mystery mini folks have my utmost respect.

Yeah, this mystery mini game is not for the faint of heart!! Most of my friends do NOT understand this....and for the frustrating parts, it's very hard to explain. But man oh man, the happy when you pull what you want, or complete a set...that's a feeling that's hard to beat!!
Image ImageImage Image

CrownlessKing

Postby CrownlessKing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:49 am

It's really hard to find a Nazgul in a B&N case. I've gone through so many fresh cases and took the back-Left spot only to find myself getting either Gollum, Pippin or Merry. I feel like it's more common to get him in a regular case rather than in an exclusive case.

mrxdoe

Postby mrxdoe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:07 am

CrownlessKing wrote:It's really hard to find a Nazgul in a B&N case. I've gone through so many fresh cases and took the back-Left spot only to find myself getting either Gollum, Pippin or Merry. I feel like it's more common to get him in a regular case rather than in an exclusive case.

I found my 5 Nazgul from B&N bottom front right, always. In normal cases like TRU, top back left. always weighs around 69-70 g. and I sold my soul for the witch king(i swear he was bottom front right on a HT case).

Velmeran

Postby Velmeran » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 am

Bottom Front Right is also where the 1/36 Sauron is in B&N cases, so would make sense that 1/72 could end up there as well. Seen lots of reports with B&N cases having the Nazgul in the Top Back Left though and I can't imagine B&N has 3 case layouts.

Alleged B&N layouts with a 1/24 ending up in the other spots if the 1/36-1/72 isn't there.
Layout 1: Arwen/GitD Galadriel in the TFR.
Layout 2: Nazgul in the TBL.
Layout 3: Sauron/Nazgul in the BFR.

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 am

mrxdoe wrote:
CrownlessKing wrote:It's really hard to find a Nazgul in a B&N case. I've gone through so many fresh cases and took the back-Left spot only to find myself getting either Gollum, Pippin or Merry. I feel like it's more common to get him in a regular case rather than in an exclusive case.

I found my 5 Nazgul from B&N bottom front right, always. In normal cases like TRU, top back left. always weighs around 69-70 g. and I sold my soul for the witch king(i swear he was bottom front right on a HT case).

Nice set!

Witch King could have maybe been bottom front right if someone took the one under and he fell through. It's always worth checking if you find a box even if a couple are missing (if you have a scale).
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

CrownlessKing

Postby CrownlessKing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am

kihou wrote:
mrxdoe wrote:

Nice set!

Witch King could have maybe been bottom front right if someone took the one under and he fell through. It's always worth checking if you find a box even if a couple are missing (if you have a scale).

Yeah I was gonna say, I found my Witch King Top-front-right from a fresh case. This was when I was oblivious to the layout and took a random one at the time. Sadden it wasn’t Eowyn but thanks for the help. I’ll make sure to try for the Bottom front right next time in a fresh B&N case :)

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

I was trying to find the gitd galadriel and my BN had plenty boxes... but none were in cases. Picked up a gold gimli instead. I gotta stop with the mystery minis though, it's too addicting!
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

Funko-N-Fitness

Postby Funko-N-Fitness » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm

professorratigan wrote:Stopped by Hot Topic today to see if they'd gotten a restock. Nope. Ah, well. Went to Gamestop, bought a box. Scored the Nazgul. Woot! Stopped by Books-a-Million and tried my luck there. And look what happened:

Awesome pull!

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

The area Gamestops have never gotten these in (Wisconsin). Only 2 stores in Wisconsin got any a couple months ago. It's very odd.

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

professorratigan wrote:

Congrats on those!!

spare nazgul? have an extra sauron and a little cash...

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Mystlurker wrote:Hah wow, I do the exact same. I have a Google Doc with a list of all my measurements of the ones I've found then sorted by avg, including min/max. Lots of series have ones where there is 5-6 in a range of 2g, like SW around 53g, makes it a pain, but at least once I get all the ones in that range I can skip those. Other people's lists are useful for the broad ranges and knowing when you've completed a range.

Heh... as long as you're not my competition in Sydney, we'll get on great ;)

I had to upgrade some skills in Excel to make some easy visual graphs to get my head around the min/max thing while hunting... I usually end up passing over most SW related (TLJ as well, even though I've never really been hunting those much) because it's so crowded around the ones I still need, even when you take out exclusives and whatnot...

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

mrxdoe wrote:

such an awesome setup and congrats on those pulls! all you need is a fellbeast and minas morgul.

Dayhiker

Postby Dayhiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm

could it be that the gamestops will get their minis in march? the pops are releasing march 23rd, though hot topic has them already. maybe thats the cause of the delay?

Funko-N-Fitness

Postby Funko-N-Fitness » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm

mrxdoe wrote:

Whoa! So jealous!

Return to “Blind Bags”