Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
Solzeta1

Re: Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Postby Solzeta1 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 am

I think so...I'm starting to like them a little more than dorbz. rock candy is also something that I might also start collecting

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Sun May 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Vynls have much better head and face designs, while i love Pops!, i still will never be able to get behind the black dead eyes....

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 pm

I think they may be able to pull it off. It’s a tough one to take over pops. However, the heads on these are very well designed. I know it’s nit picky, but the 2 packs may hold them back a bit. At least for those in box folks.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Sun May 20, 2018 7:32 am

I don't think so. I think if they made Vynl the way they're doing Pops, most figures in the line would warm shelves until clearance sales. So I think they should continue what they're doing now and just make main/iconic characters of more popular lines. That way if they prove to be selling enough, they could do even more lines following the same formula and see from there if they should start doing other, less popular or iconic characters.
Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was?

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 am

Maybe not as popular as Pops, but they look awesome! I have the Rick and Morty ones. :)
ImageImage

case
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby case » Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 am

Either way I’m a fan of Vynl! Maybe not as popular as Pop!, but it also isn’t on the same scale as Pop! time will tell.
FDO 6-7-8-9
Fundays 2014-15-16-17-18-19-23
SDCC 2014-15-16-17-18-19-23
Funko Fright Night, HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun, Wetmore Block Party

LatinFunko

Postby LatinFunko » Mon May 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Gonna be tough. Pops are the standard bearer. Quality is excellent on VYNL products so they have that going for them.
OWNER
http://www.thefunexchange.com

IG & Facebook @thefunexchange

Image :wwe5: Image

Fundays 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2022

FDO7 Sacramento | FDO8 San Francisco

Fright Night | HQ Grand Opening | Making Fun Movie Premiere | FunKon

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm

FearlessPhotog wrote:Vynls have much better head and face designs, while i love Pops!, i still will never be able to get behind the black dead eyes....

This. :laughing3: I dig pops but not as much as I used to and I know VYNL is to blame for that. The amount of personality and expression with the VYNL designs over the pop designs is leaps and beyond for me. Being digging Kibookied/Evil Corps work for a while now, love seeing it come alive in real 3D product.

And being that I am OOB the 2-pack box is not an issue for me. lol
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

acbernardez

Postby acbernardez » Mon May 21, 2018 1:15 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
FearlessPhotog wrote:Vynls have much better head and face designs, while i love Pops!, i still will never be able to get behind the black dead eyes....

This. :laughing3: I dig pops but not as much as I used to and I know VYNL is to blame for that. The amount of personality and expression with the VYNL designs over the pop designs is leaps and beyond for me. Being digging Kibookied/Evil Corps work for a while now, love seeing it come alive in real 3D product.

I would agree! Pops were definitely an awesome starting point for me, but I love the designs and molds of Vynls better. Without the typical branding constraints of the Pop "look," the Vynl line can do an infinite amount of great variations per character! Looking forward to what's ahead!
Image Image
Image ImageImage

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

acbernardez wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

I would agree! Pops were definitely an awesome starting point for me, but I love the designs and molds of Vynls better. Without the typical branding constraints of the Pop "look," the Vynl line can do an infinite amount of great variations per character! Looking forward to what's ahead!

Couldn’t have said better myself! I truly hope this line takes off and they start making tons of different licenses!

funkilyfunko

Postby funkilyfunko » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm

This could be quite long, but here is my opinion.

I love VYNL. A complaint was that they aren't detailed enough but I think that the lack of detail actually fits with the very cool stylized feel. The faces are a very interesting thing, as they have more facial expressions, unlike pop!s. This stylization is very cool and different just like pops were.

I was looking at the first ever post on the pop! thread and it was about people making space for pops in their wobbler collection. People were saying that they wouldnt buy many; just like some posts on this thread. I think that the only problem is that they are in 2 packs. I own an eleven and barb pack and am buying the pennywise and georgie. I think that they will definetely grow as soon as disney star wars and marvel are released.

They are very good looking collectibles, very aesthetically pleasing and very stylish. I think that these could grow to be very big if Funko market them correctly. The fact that they come with the most dissembodied heads is natural, as they are still quite new.

All in all, they are very stylish and appealing. Whether they become big is due to taste, but I hope they do.
Get a free Custom Banner like mine!

Karubin

Postby Karubin » Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Currently, the only two that I have is the Wizard of Oz and Thundercat ones.

I like the looks of them, but I think the problem is they should think of a way to not have them all in two packs. I often felt the Pop! two packs or three packs less attractive compare to the individual Pop! because the box design just looks better with individual Pop!. They should think of a way to design an individual Vynl, that may attract more people.

I think the growing popularity of Pop! makes it hard for Funko collector to collect other lines when there are so many different Pop! releases.

Calvin
IG: karubin_funko
Twitter: Karubin_funko

Main Line: DBZ, MHA, Naruto, NBA, Anime, Kingdom Hearts, and Overwatch
Sub Line: Freddy Funko, Pop Asia, Marvel, DC, and etc.
Pop!: 2,000+
Dorbz: 150+
ISO: Atomic Freddy & Hall H Freddy

Funko events attended FUNday 2019: Team Loko Moko, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FunKon 2021, Virtual FUNday 2021: Team Proto Punks

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm

I don't think so, Pops took it to a crazy new level. But it depends, maybe if they start doing crazy exclusives with super limited edition size people will go nuts #-o (I hope they don't do that though)

funkobry

Postby funkobry » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:37 pm

I don’t think they will. Look at Dorbz. Funko tried promoting it like it was going to be the next Pops but it’s not as popular.

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Only if they ditch the 2 pack idea. Lol
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm

PopGoestheJess wrote:Only if they ditch the 2 pack idea. Lol

Yeah, I agree. I think that may be one thing holding the Vynls back right now is the fact they are two packs. Someone may love one character but not really want the other one so not pick up the set. I think if they eventually sold singles they might be able to pick up more steam since they still have that really cute look.

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 pm

dexiesmom wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I think that may be one thing holding the Vynls back right now is the fact they are two packs. Someone may love one character but not really want the other one so not pick up the set. I think if they eventually sold singles they might be able to pick up more steam since they still have that really cute look.

I agree, never been fan of the multipacks. Single packs would provide a shot in the arm for this line. Made visit to gamestop and they had them on Clearance.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 pm

supertoygiant wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:

I agree, never been fan of the multipacks. Single packs would provide a shot in the arm for this line. Made visit to gamestop and they had them on Clearance.

I mean for some collectors multipacks make sense, because they are going to buy everything from a series. But a lot of people collect a specific character. Or if you aren't a collector and you are buying a gift for a friend (or you are a parent buying a gift for a kid or something) you are going to stick with the characters you [i]know[i] they like, not one you know they like and one they might throw out because then you are wasting money.

zwahelian

Postby zwahelian » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Vynl. is about on par with Dorbz in my opinion. I like the heads of Vynl. but the bodies look a little blocky which I’m not a huge fan of. I will probably stick to horror and Freddy Vynl.
IG: funkh0e
Started collecting: July 2016 | Pop! Star Wars: 83 | Pop! Marvel: TBA | Pop! Heroes: 45 | Pop! Rides: 3 | Total Pop!s: 1,000+

Grail: NYCC Qui Gon Jinn, Indy's Ride, Holo Qui Gon, Flocked Wicket

cmasicampo

Postby cmasicampo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:39 pm

VYNL has grown on me. I've been really wanting Funko to make more Wes Anderson stuff and happy to see Life Aquatic. Excited to get the Tenanbaums!
I’m Chris
IG @CMonstercampo

ImageImage

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Only have first 2 pack sdcc

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 pm

I do not think that Vynl will ever be as big as pops however I do see them doing alot better.

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 am

zwahelian wrote:Vynl. is about on par with Dorbz in my opinion. I like the heads of Vynl. but the bodies look a little blocky which I’m not a huge fan of. I will probably stick to horror and Freddy Vynl.

I'm in the same boat as you sir.
They're ok, but I'll only get what I really like. Not Pop potential to me at least, doesn't draw me in as much

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:23 am

There are some really cool Vynl packs out there. The Rick & Morty looks really cool and what's not too like about that Monster Cereals 2 pack!
:king: Mike

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:00 am

More than a year later, the answer is? No.

Should have went with Vynl with single packs. I think they could still do it and be successful but I'm sure they don't want to cannibalize the Pop market.

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:18 am

i love vynls but i don't think anything will ever replace pops popularity
ImageImage

franzsy0519

Postby franzsy0519 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:54 pm

FunkoLoco wrote:i love vynls but i don't think anything will ever replace pops popularity

Agree. Mystery Minis is a far second to Pops, then unfortunately everything else is niche in my opinion.
Funko Funatic Philippines since Oct. 2013 \:D/

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:00 am

FunkoLoco wrote:i love vynls but i don't think anything will ever replace pops popularity

I wouldn't say never ever, right timing could happen to anything. Pops of course are still such a strong front line product.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

doctony

Postby doctony » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:15 am

It's been more than a year and still not that popular. Maybe if they are not in pairs?

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 am

Unfortunately, I doubt it. They just aren't that popular :(
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:06 am

doctony wrote:

It's been more than a year and still not that popular. Maybe if they are not in pairs?

hmm good point! Collecting vynl 2pack's hard, esp if you only need 1 of them. :-k
ImageImage

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am

franzsy0519 wrote:

Agree. Mystery Minis is a far second to Pops, then unfortunately everything else is niche in my opinion.

Mystery Minis are great! The thrill of opening blind boxes is also fun! Plus i like the details despite the size. Pretty handy to bring around with as a travel buddy also. :freddy2:
ImageImage

franzsy0519

Postby franzsy0519 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm

FunkoLoco wrote:
franzsy0519 wrote:

Mystery Minis are great! The thrill of opening blind boxes is also fun! Plus i like the details despite the size. Pretty handy to bring around with as a travel buddy also. :freddy2:

Yes, and Minis kinda help when you've got space issues from having too many Pops already!
Funko Funatic Philippines since Oct. 2013 \:D/

keyese

Postby keyese » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:12 pm

FunkoLoco wrote:
doctony wrote:

hmm good point! Collecting vynl 2pack's hard, esp if you only need 1 of them. :-k

The pairs made sense for some (like Jack and Sally) but others may have done better separately (like Spiderman, since Thanos was kinda weird to pair with him IMHO).
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 pm

i onlye have the wizard of oz, NBC, Thundercats, skeletor with faker and Deadpool with cable

i like the desings ;D
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:15 pm

kihou wrote:
FunkoLoco wrote:
doctony wrote:

The pairs made sense for some (like Jack and Sally) but others may have done better separately (like Spiderman, since Thanos was kinda weird to pair with him IMHO).

agree with ya 100% haha
ImageImage

Return to “Vinyl”