Questions about hikari

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
CashMeOusside

Questions about hikari

Postby CashMeOusside » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

So I saw these Hikari figures and was wondering what they actually are. Almost all I have seen are limited to x pieces. Are they from the same material as pops and dorbz? What makes them so special and expensive?

Also because theyre quite limited in numbers, will they raise in value over time?

misterjstewart

Re: Questions about hikari

Postby misterjstewart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Hikari are soft vinyl figures (sofubi) and are bigger than a Pop figure. They are Funko's take on the Japanese vinyl market (think Kaiju/Godzilla) There are usually several different colorways (different paint/vinyl colors) of the same sculpt. The reason they are more expensive is that the manufacturing process is more involved and they are more expensive to make. While they are limited, this doesn't make them more valuable. Most sell for less than retail after a few months and only the truly limited ones (less than 100?) go up in value. I think Funko was trying their hand at the sofubi market to capture some of that market. Not sure they were very successful there.

That being said, Hikari are one of my favorite Funko lines. I don't mind the cost and I hope they come out with more. I especially like the Japanese animation (Astro Boy and Gigantor) and Universal Monster ones. Funko hit it out of the park with those, IMHO.
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

Usually if you wait a few months after the release of one, you can find out for less than retail. That's been my experience.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

randig

Postby randig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am

It is a fun word to say, SOFUBI!

Hopefully you can google "Hikari Process of Making" and see if it pops up, very interesting
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I just can not take anyone with the handle "CashMeOusside" seriously. lol Nothing personal...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

CashMeOusside

Postby CashMeOusside » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for the answers all

mohawkjones wrote:I just can not take anyone with the handle "CashMeOusside" seriously. lol Nothing personal...

Haha. :p Well this is a forum about funko so why being serious? ^^ I was surprised the name wasnt taken already after the meme got milked like heck...

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:43 pm

No more sdcc exclusives

swind15

Postby swind15 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Soft vinyl. Hand painted. Small edition sizes.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am

misterjstewart wrote:Hikari are soft vinyl figures (sofubi) and are bigger than a Pop figure. They are Funko's take on the Japanese vinyl market (think Kaiju/Godzilla) There are usually several different colorways (different paint/vinyl colors) of the same sculpt. The reason they are more expensive is that the manufacturing process is more involved and they are more expensive to make. While they are limited, this doesn't make them more valuable. Most sell for less than retail after a few months and only the truly limited ones (less than 100?) go up in value. I think Funko was trying their hand at the sofubi market to capture some of that market. Not sure they were very successful there.

That being said, Hikari are one of my favorite Funko lines. I don't mind the cost and I hope they come out with more. I especially like the Japanese animation (Astro Boy and Gigantor) and Universal Monster ones. Funko hit it out of the park with those, IMHO.

Love the post, great overview on hikari line, iam a fan definitely unique I like them and i like that they are exploring smaller versions
:freddy3:

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 pm

I love that thanks to Hikaris I have a couple of Captain America figures that are insanely colored!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.
Keep spreading that Funko Love... :freddy1:
New York Comic 2014/15/16/17/18/19/20(Virtual)
NYC Fugitive Event 2018/2019

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 am

DubJay81 wrote:Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.

Did you end up getting anything? The Voltrons are really cool.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:13 am

jagpop wrote:
DubJay81 wrote:Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.

Did you end up getting anything? The Voltrons are really cool.

Actually just was looking around and found them on EBay and Gemini Collectables and there there for under retail. So gonna grab the Normal Voltron and The Ruby Red on to start. I’ll come back for the other 3 there seem to be. But all in all a nice set. Has been a crazy week with wlrknand with SDCC going on I have people over there Pop Hunting for me lol. Gets crazy.
Keep spreading that Funko Love... :freddy1:
New York Comic 2014/15/16/17/18/19/20(Virtual)
NYC Fugitive Event 2018/2019

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I love the designs and craft that goes behind the makings of Sofubi. Started into Hikaris just because of that!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

rowden

Postby rowden » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Hikari is like POP, in the sense you should just collect what you like.
If you're coming into it worried about the value going up, you're in for some disappointment (IMO)
"Evil knows evil" Dr. Smith- Lost in Space
ImageImage

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

rowden wrote:Hikari is like POP, in the sense you should just collect what you like.
If you're coming into it worried about the value going up, you're in for some disappointment (IMO)

Great advice. Thanks!
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

Angel 9708

Postby Angel 9708 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 pm

I really like hikaris because I am a sucker for anything colorful. I own a 250 le mickey mouse snow cone one and I just love it. I will never know what number it is because I'm an inbox collector and honestly it doesnt matter to me, It's just a beautiful piece. He sits on my fireplace and everyone who sees him just loves him.
Walking Dead Junkie! ImageImage

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 am

Angel 9708 wrote:I really like hikaris because I am a sucker for anything colorful. I own a 250 le mickey mouse snow cone one and I just love it. I will never know what number it is because I'm an inbox collector and honestly it doesnt matter to me, It's just a beautiful piece. He sits on my fireplace and everyone who sees him just loves him.

I’d be careful having sofubi too close too heat...they will get very soft and cave in or lean. ;-)
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Angel 9708

Postby Angel 9708 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:51 am

thejosh2010 wrote:
Angel 9708 wrote:I really like hikaris because I am a sucker for anything colorful. I own a 250 le mickey mouse snow cone one and I just love it. I will never know what number it is because I'm an inbox collector and honestly it doesnt matter to me, It's just a beautiful piece. He sits on my fireplace and everyone who sees him just loves him.

I’d be careful having sofubi too close too heat...they will get very soft and cave in or lean. ;-)

Thanks for the advice. My fireplace is only used for display. I've never actually used it for heat lol, but if I ever do turn it on I will remember to move him. I would be so upset if I ruined him.

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Angel 9708 wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. My fireplace is only used for display. I've never actually used it for heat lol, but if I ever do turn it on I will remember to move him. I would be so upset if I ruined him.

Sounds like an awesome piece in your collection! I don’t use the fireplace either lol but I do need to heat up a few of my Captain America hikaris feet so I can get them to stand flat.

Hi, I'm JASON!
You can follow me on Instagram: @jpg_rising or on Twitter: @jpg_rising
I also have an Instagram just for my Funko Photography: @PhoenixForcePhotos
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

Angel 9708

Postby Angel 9708 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm

PhoenixForce wrote:
Angel 9708 wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:

Sounds like an awesome piece in your collection! I don’t use the fireplace either lol but I do need to heat up a few of my Captain America hikaris feet so I can get them to stand flat.

Oh so you are an out of box collector. Did you look at the number it is. I always wondered about it but cant make myself open the box, lol. Does he fall forward or backwards, you can always use museum putty to get him to stand. Holds alot of weight and works well. I use it on my goofy mini because he likes to dive off the shelf without it.

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Angel 9708 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
Angel 9708 wrote:

Oh so you are an out of box collector. Did you look at the number it is. I always wondered about it but cant make myself open the box, lol. Does he fall forward or backwards, you can always use museum putty to get him to stand. Holds alot of weight and works well. I use it on my goofy mini because he likes to dive off the shelf without it.

The feet are not shaped flat so it’s like a weeble. I have them boxed away right now since they don’t stand.

Hi, I'm JASON!
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

Angel 9708

Postby Angel 9708 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm

PhoenixForce wrote:
Angel 9708 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

The feet are not shaped flat so it’s like a weeble. I have them boxed away right now since they don’t stand.

Are all hikaris like that, not flat or is it a flaw? never knew of this issue. Is it boxed in it's original box?

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Angel 9708 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
Angel 9708 wrote:

Are all hikaris like that, not flat or is it a flaw? never knew of this issue. Is it boxed in it's original box?

They are in their original boxes. It’s just the type of plastic and how it sets after the mold. I have others that are fine.

Hi, I'm JASON!

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:13 am

i grabbed some thinking they would be more valuable and enjoyable due to limited run but it just took up more space and I didn’t really love it. I don’t get the two colors of the same design since it’s translucent plastic. So I’m sad I didn’t love these even though I own quite a few.

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 am

The main hikari line is pretty much dead i think, but they have revived it somewhat with the mini hikaris, hopefully they find a sweet spot for this line so that they can continue to make them

stevedawg85_funko

Postby stevedawg85_funko » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46 pm

i never got into the line. they feel like hollow plastic. big pass for me

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm

stevedawg85_funko wrote:i never got into the line. they feel like hollow plastic. big pass for me

Not sure this was the answer the poster was looking for... lol
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:

To be fair most vinyl figures will do that too. I am looking at you Vynl Ranger Smith... :angryfire:

Return to “Hikari”