DC Action Figures

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
AshleyWilbanks

DC Action Figures

Postby AshleyWilbanks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 am

So now that McFarlane Toys has revealed a license to produce 6 - 12" DC action figures, I sure hope/wish that Funko went after the 3 3/4 - 4" license... Anyone else hoping this happens?
ImageImage

Follow me on Instagram: dccollectors
Follow me on Twitter: @dccollectors

KryptonianRed

Re: DC Action Figures

Postby KryptonianRed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 pm

I wonder if the reaction figures kind of count? I like the first appearance Superman one from the LOC box. I’d definitely pick up more DC reaction, if they made them. (Comic over tv/movie versions)

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 am

I kinda wish it would be more articulated on these figs!

hojo

Postby hojo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing what McFarlane Toys does!!! I love the details in their figs and the GoT glams look incredible!

I've not been a fan of Funko's forays into action figures thus far as they tend to do stylized stuff which doesn't look as good to me. But I can be proven wrong.

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:13 pm

I'b be interested to see what Funko could develop. I'm curious to see what McFarland does and its price point.

Hi, I'm JASON!
You can follow me on Instagram: @jpg_rising or on Twitter: @jpg_rising
I also have an Instagram just for my Funko Photography: @PhoenixForcePhotos
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

Cobrala Commander

Postby Cobrala Commander » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 am

My understanding is that Primal Age hinged on a loophole:

They couldn’t use comics or movies as a basis for the designs, which ruled out DC fantasy characters as you’d have to give them an original look distinct from the comics. You also couldn’t have “straight” comics takes.

I would like to see Savage World “straight” takes of the Justice League in actual 80s era costumes. That way you can re-enact the He-Man crossover comics. I can see that going well with another comics one shot where you get to do a “Crisis on Earth-2” teamup between the Primal Age universe and pre-COIE Justice League/Super Friends.

Personally, I never had the nostalgia for the Kenner 4” figures (ala Jurassic Park/Aliens/Reaction) but I would ADORE 4.5” figures ala Kenner Super Powers, 90s Toy Biz DC/Marvel, and the Batman TAS/Justice League lines.

My preferences would be two lines there:

Super Powers Rebirth!

4.5” Super Powers line with modern costumes and figures never found in the vintage line like Lois Lane, 80s Supergirl, etc. Vehicles were the big draw of this line and I’d love to see a new Batmobile. You can skip the leg squeeze feature but you gotta have knee joints.

4.5” Batman the Animated Series line. To the Kenner/Mattel BTAS scale and therefore compatible with vehicles and playsets but more expressive and gimmick free. No knee joints needed. Standard 5 POA or maybe 6 with waist. Go down through the BTAS catalogue. Nostromo, Count Vertigo, Bullock/Gordon/Montoya/Alfred (never widely available), Red Claw, Rupert Thorne, Bruce Wayne in his brown and yellow suit, a standard Dick Grayson Robin, Christmas Joker, Terry McGinnis (originally only done in a different scale and later JLU). And on the subject of Justice League, there’s the new JLU spinoff with Jessica Cruz, Hal Jordan GL (in one JL episode, the toy was limited to 500 pieces as an employee gift), etc. There were good vintage Batmobiles but no real collector playsets that matched the show. I can see a BTAS Batcave/Bat Computer, Crime Alley (big moody diorama piece, cardboard or print on plastic with plastic alley walls, trashcan, maybe Thomas & Martha dead body figures with kneeling Bruce).

Cobrala Commander

Postby Cobrala Commander » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 am

It’s really stunning when you realize how many big BTAS characters never got figures or only got off-model gimmick figures.

I’m not sure there’s a BTAS Robin that resembles the animation model and doesn’t compromise for a gimmick. His cape on the show was usually draped asymmetrically or had a rounded collar but the figures usually gave him a symmetrical drape. And a weird, large head and off model physique.

If you had 4.5” BTAS figures as on model as the DCC with minimal articulation and maybe a $12 pricepoint, I think they’d fly off shelves.

Return to “Action Figures”