Ratios debate! Do you prefer high ratios or all 1/12 sets?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
SpastikGrl

Re: Ratios debate! Do you prefer high ratios or all 1/12 sets?

Postby SpastikGrl » Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm

I do prefer the ratios, HOWEVER, I do like the exclusives being 1/12. It makes my life so much easier!

saban

Postby saban » Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Duhkawaiipanda wrote:I like 1/12 sets only because there are so many other items coming out that I want to collect at the same time.

Agree! I buy them because I like them and want them, not because of rarity. I want to spend my money as efficiently as possible.

Also, great to see you here!
IG: vickyisodd

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 pm

saban wrote:
Duhkawaiipanda wrote:I like 1/12 sets only because there are so many other items coming out that I want to collect at the same time.

Agree! I buy them because I like them and want them, not because of rarity. I want to spend my money as efficiently as possible.

I agree. Especially cuz MM are so expensive at places like hot topic. 1/12 sets are my preference, even though I love the current toy story set.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

saban

Postby saban » Wed May 08, 2019 4:01 pm

emoagogo wrote:
saban wrote:

I agree. Especially cuz MM are so expensive at places like hot topic. 1/12 sets are my preference, even though I love the current toy story set.

So glad Forky was easier to get. I feel for all of you that still need Rex.
IG: vickyisodd

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm

saban wrote:
emoagogo wrote:
saban wrote:

:( :( :( don’t remind me

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

GraphicSilence

Postby GraphicSilence » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 pm

buried_by_pops wrote:I expect you would find a large divide between the large urban and smaller city/rural collectors regarding this question. I am in a large city and was able to easily complete the most recent Game of Thrones set because I was able to visit four Hot Topics in the space of a few hours and then a BoxLunch a few weekends later. It also helped that I am not on the west coast and could benefit from the intel provided by the generous members of this forum. I will admit that chase was a lot of fun, and the couple of duplicate rare pieces I got and sold made the complete set I kept basically free, but the really rare pieces just seem cruel to those collectors who have literally no chance of ever finding them in the wild.

I think that's a fair assessment. For people that live in city metro areas with a large variety of stores that carry minis it may not be so bad. But of you live out where there are only a couple of stores you can get to, then it becomes quite frustrating.

Personally I don't care about the rarity of a piece. I want what I want, and wish I could just buy that. Unfortunately with some of the distributions it's almost impossible to find certain pieces. I have yet to fully complete a set (that I can think of right now), and doubt I ever will due to store exclusives.

Grail: Batman Freddy
Desperately want: Flashpoint Batman, SDCC Blue Batman.

Hawkeye_13

Postby Hawkeye_13 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 pm

GraphicSilence wrote:
buried_by_pops wrote:I expect you would find a large divide between the large urban and smaller city/rural collectors regarding this question. I am in a large city and was able to easily complete the most recent Game of Thrones set because I was able to visit four Hot Topics in the space of a few hours and then a BoxLunch a few weekends later. It also helped that I am not on the west coast and could benefit from the intel provided by the generous members of this forum. I will admit that chase was a lot of fun, and the couple of duplicate rare pieces I got and sold made the complete set I kept basically free, but the really rare pieces just seem cruel to those collectors who have literally no chance of ever finding them in the wild.

I think that's a fair assessment. For people that live in city metro areas with a large variety of stores that carry minis it may not be so bad. But of you live out where there are only a couple of stores you can get to, then it becomes quite frustrating.

Personally I don't care about the rarity of a piece. I want what I want, and wish I could just buy that. Unfortunately with some of the distributions it's almost impossible to find certain pieces. I have yet to fully complete a set (that I can think of right now), and doubt I ever will due to store exclusives.

That's exactly the case with me, only two Walmarts and one gamestop within 30+ miles

MzTredecim

Postby MzTredecim » Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

PigNosePony wrote:I do prefer the ratios, HOWEVER, I do like the exclusives being 1/12. It makes my life so much easier!

Totally agree. The Walgreens horror exclusives almost broke me.
Funko Collector since 2012!
Collections: GITD / TWD / TMNTs / BTTF / Random Eye-Catchers / Mystery Minis & PSHs

matrixman9

Postby matrixman9 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:23 pm

I prefer 1/12. Its hard enough to even find minis at some stores like walgreens. But then to have to pull a 1/72 on top of that is too difficult. I was interested in the black and white universal monster minis, but now walgreens has a full exclusive set and there are up to 1/72. So I dont think I am going to start that set.

MzTredecim

Postby MzTredecim » Sat May 18, 2019 5:25 pm

matrixman9 wrote:I prefer 1/12. Its hard enough to even find minis at some stores like walgreens. But then to have to pull a 1/72 on top of that is too difficult. I was interested in the black and white universal monster minis, but now walgreens has a full exclusive set and there are up to 1/72. So I dont think I am going to start that set.

I'm so not ready for this Walgreens set. I don't even think they receive full boxes. The horror set was just random boxes
Collections: GITD / TWD / TMNTs / BTTF / Random Eye-Catchers / Mystery Minis & PSHs

Mauibrah

Postby Mauibrah » Sat May 18, 2019 5:36 pm

I like high ratios for the hunt
IG: @mauishaun

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 am

1/12 because although I love Mystery Minis, they're such a pain to collect! There are more coming out for It: Chapter Two. Here we go...lol
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Mon May 20, 2019 11:45 am

MzTredecim wrote:
PigNosePony wrote:I do prefer the ratios, HOWEVER, I do like the exclusives being 1/12. It makes my life so much easier!

Walgreens is the only one that I am able to devower therefore I LOVE WG!

MzTredecim

Postby MzTredecim » Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 pm

PigNosePony wrote:
MzTredecim wrote:

I've yet to see a full box of minis at WG and just kept ending up with the same figures. It was also super annoying that Funko changed the ratios of the non-exclusive.

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 pm

MzTredecim wrote:
PigNosePony wrote:
MzTredecim wrote:

I've yet to see a full box of minis at WG and just kept ending up with the same figures. It was also super annoying that Funko changed the ratios of the non-exclusive.

Its a matter of stalking WG, having people skills, and hitting it at the right time. I always get fresh cases.

GrabtharsHammer

Postby GrabtharsHammer » Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 am

buried_by_pops wrote:Eliminate 1/6 and anything above 1/36, and keep store exclusives at 1/12 and I think you have the perfect balance between hunting and collecting. Anything else and you are just generating profit for well-connected flippers rather than the company itself. The biggest problem is with store exclusives. How do you have a 1/72 exclusive at a store that is going to only ever get 24-36 in stock? I find it very hard to believe that anyone was at Hot Topic buying box after box of LotR hoping for an Eowyn or Lurtz once they realized how impossible they would be to stumble across. I mean even a large city with six HTs (and how many of those are there?) that all restocked once would only have two of each figure in the entire city. That is ridiculous. I get that some level of after-market keeps vitality in your fan base, but Funko has missed out on money they could have earned from me as I have personally limited the number of sets I have pursued because of this issue.

100% this right here. The only HT near me (still a 40 min drive) only got one box of LotR minis and one guy bought the entire box as soon as it was put on the shelves. I've been stalking the store forever since trying to get another shipment but they never restocked this store as it's a smaller store. I gave up on completing my set which is missing the HT exclusives and one B&N exclusive.

I refused to collect the Sailor Moon minis because I didn't want to deal with HT again.

GraphicSilence

Postby GraphicSilence » Tue May 21, 2019 12:02 pm

PigNosePony wrote:
MzTredecim wrote:
PigNosePony wrote:

Its a matter of stalking WG, having people skills, and hitting it at the right time. I always get fresh cases.

Depends on the Walgreens. The ones around me never get a full case of minis. They are just tossed in with a bunch of other mixed toys. The workers never really know what is coming in until they open the box. Just a vague "boys action figures" or something like that.

Grail: Batman Freddy
Desperately want: Flashpoint Batman, SDCC Blue Batman.

MzTredecim

Postby MzTredecim » Tue May 21, 2019 6:27 pm

GraphicSilence wrote:
PigNosePony wrote:
MzTredecim wrote:

Depends on the Walgreens. The ones around me never get a full case of minis. They are just tossed in with a bunch of other mixed toys. The workers never really know what is coming in until they open the box. Just a vague "boys action figures" or something like that.

Mine is the same. Seemed like no store received a full case. Employees would just pull out single boxes from these black bins.

Funko_Phan26

Postby Funko_Phan26 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:04 am

I personally wouldn't mind high ratio sets as long as each store exclusive set had at least a 1/12. That way no matter the case you could at least be guaranteed a store exclusive if you buy a case. But for example to get to Hot Topic or Walmart or Target with the last End Game set and there is a case that is Antman/Widow which neither are exclusive just sucks all the fun out of it. Target and Walmart barely get minis in and then to finally find a case and it be a lettered case that has no exclusives in it is so defeating.

On the other hand having 1/12 makes me order a full case from an independent small business, because I will get all different figures, and won't get stuck with 3 extra 1/6 that no one wants. I think if they got rid of the 1/6 ratio no one would mind the higher ratio sets. It's just insulting and a waste of $6.99-8.99 for a 1/6 that I end up just giving away to my students anyway, because they are un-tradable.
:freddy3:
[ig]https://www.instagram.com/funko_phan26/[/ig]

Fundays 2022, Blacklight Battle
Fright Night II NYCC 2022
FOTW 2/24/18
FOTW 11/30/22

ISO: Black Panther Protos Rick and Morty Mystery Mini Protos.
Been collecting since 2016. FoTW Feb 2018. Check out my toy photography on Instagram!

billydarector

Postby billydarector » Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 am

It seems like this would be a winning set:

All 1/12s plus the usual 1/24, 1/36, and 1/72 (No 1/6s) for common case. Still gives you the hunt without the store exclusive pressure and disappointment
Store Exclusive cases should be all 1/12 or at the very least as high as 1/36 for WM, HT, and GS etc and no double 1/72s in a case...these Marvel minis have been ruthless...
ISO: Rare Mystery Minis, Retro Freddys
Over 1200 Mystery Minis and growing
Image Image

:freddy3:

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Funko_Phan26 wrote:I personally wouldn't mind high ratio sets as long as each store exclusive set had at least a 1/12. That way no matter the case you could at least be guaranteed a store exclusive if you buy a case. But for example to get to Hot Topic or Walmart or Target with the last End Game set and there is a case that is Antman/Widow which neither are exclusive just sucks all the fun out of it. Target and Walmart barely get minis in and then to finally find a case and it be a lettered case that has no exclusives in it is so defeating.

On the other hand having 1/12 makes me order a full case from an independent small business, because I will get all different figures, and won't get stuck with 3 extra 1/6 that no one wants. I think if they got rid of the 1/6 ratio no one would mind the higher ratio sets. It's just insulting and a waste of $6.99-8.99 for a 1/6 that I end up just giving away to my students anyway, because they are un-tradable.

That's how I feel. I'd be more OK with 1/72s in a set if there weren't a bunch of 1/6s in the case as well. I feel like the 1/6 ratio is such a rip-off. I end up with a million dupes anyways, but they could at least make it so that if I buy a case, I'm not getting doubles of minis already in that case.

I do like store exclusives being 1/12. It takes a lot of the pressure out of the HT exclusives, since they tend to re-stock maybe once and then be done with them.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm

MzTredecim wrote:
PigNosePony wrote:
MzTredecim wrote:

Yeah, them changing the ratios on the non-exclusives was such a weird, random thing to do.

I was lucky with the Walgreens exclusive It minis, since I was able to find several fresh, full cases. But the horror ones I'd had zero luck with. I only ever found partial cases, and only got the exclusives thanks to super generous friends who had found the exclusives for me.

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Fri May 24, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm a huge fan of 1/12. One case and I'm set, other than exclusives.

I completed my Rick and Morty series 2 with only a few dupes and the new Fallout series with zero. Meanwhile I still can't get my two full cases worth of series one and older Fallout dupes sold off. I'm not sure I'll buy any minis anymore at retail unless they're 1/12 and just go for opened lots on secondary markets instead. I'm so done with wasting money on tons of dupes.
Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was?

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 pm

BadEugoogolizer wrote:I'm not sure I'll buy any minis anymore at retail unless they're 1/12 and just go for opened lots on secondary markets instead. I'm so done with wasting money on tons of dupes.

After chasing Ghostbusters, I am thinking the same thing. You either pay the iron/retail price and risk tossing the dupes or pay the secondary price and not waste anything. Ideally, you can sell the dupes, and reduce the cost of your own collection, but with the mix of ratios they hit us with on that set, its nearly impossible. I mean, at least a plastic straw served a purpose for a short time. The only purpose the low ratio figures serve is to drive up sales. I would even be ok if they had all 1/12 ratios but made cases that did not contain all 12, like an A case with 2-3 each of half the figures and a B case with 2-3 each of the other half. That way, I would still have to hunt a little to complete the set. They seem so set on the A-F case model that I don't think they can change, so when they decide to make a line, like Ghostbusters, with so few unique figures, they have to destroy us with 1/6s to fill all six versions out.

Duhkawaiipanda

Postby Duhkawaiipanda » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:43 am

saban wrote:
emoagogo wrote:
saban wrote:

Rex :banghead:

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:51 am

I prefer the OG sets with 1/144 ect. Before people would weigh mini boxes. I hate the 1/4, 1/6 ratios.
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:55 am

1/12 across the board. I’m lazy and cheap so I would rather just buy a case at once and be done lol
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:58 am

FredKruger wrote:As long as they eliminate the 1/6 all rates are essential to the hobby.

If all are 1/12 above, you get less dupes. If all are 1/12, often line doesnt sell since can get a complete set much easier. No 1/6 is way to go.

Eliminating the 1/6 would be great. I hate getting the same one 3-4 times (I don’t collect a lot of minis).
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am

Shalee04 wrote:I prefer the OG sets with 1/144 ect. Before people would weigh mini boxes. I hate the 1/4, 1/6 ratios.

Ironically both 1/144 and 1/6 incentivize weighing, which I'm sure people were doing in the good old days. Also, I'm guessing everyone who likes anything above 1/24 or 1/36 lives somewhere with lots of retailers they can hit and/or has enough disposable income to shell out on the secondary market without worrying about it too much.

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:16 pm

buried_by_pops wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:I prefer the OG sets with 1/144 ect. Before people would weigh mini boxes. I hate the 1/4, 1/6 ratios.

Ironically both 1/144 and 1/6 incentivize weighing, which I'm sure people were doing in the good old days. Also, I'm guessing everyone who likes anything above 1/24 or 1/36 lives somewhere with lots of retailers they can hit and/or has enough disposable income to shell out on the secondary market without worrying about it too much.

I have many of the OG sets and there wasn't any weighing going on that i knew of. Minis used to be $3.99 -$5.99 and I could go in and buy a case at hot.topic of game stop and I am not rich by any means.
Weighing I noticed started when the 1/6s came out and people were sick of getting 35 Elsa's.

I probably have 25-35 completed OG sets. I haven't bought a mini in over 2 years due to shenanigans in our local stores with people buying, and revealing and returning with crap minis put into the boxes. :eek:
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Now that I have a 1 year old and can't go off all over town to find the few boxes available in my area (among a dozen other collectors that do have the time to get everything), I am all for 1/12 sets lol
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm

I like the hunt...but I don’t like the 1/72 store exclusives. A 1/36 is more doable and still gives me that excitement
It’s me Lynda

Chowpope

Postby Chowpope » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm

High ratio = more fun

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:28 pm

I get that the feeling of having a rare piece is incredible, but the feeling of having a complete set is pretty great too. I would prefer a world in which more people had a chance to feel happy about their collection.

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:32 pm

I like the challenge of a hunt

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Oh boy, this is an excellent question. For me, I prefer both of that is allowed. With that being said, I only like the higher ratio exclusives when they are at stores that don’t have “Wal” in their name. The sporadicness of these stores putting stuff out just makes it way to difficult and highly annoying.

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 pm

My preference are 1/12s. I hate 1/6s...just seems like a way to pad things and sell more. The recent Universal Monster sets were horrible. There were only 12 in the set anyway...why in the world not do all 1/12s.
ImageImageImageImage
Patrick from Central KY - Admin for The Kentucky Funko League of Awesomeness
Proto wants: Fallout keychains and Vynls, Dr. Doom (Pops or Minis)

slimpicks

Postby slimpicks » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 pm

im ok with high ratios. i love the hunt but i hate the people that will bring a scale into stores or will look for case layouts.
Charles aka slimpicks
instagram: Funko_slimpicks
ImageImage
Funko Fundays - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright night - 2016
Funko HQ grand opening - 2017
Funko "Making Fun - The Story of Funko" - 2018
Funko HQ Hollywood - 2019
Funkon Hollywood 2021
FDO San Diego 2023

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 pm

slimpicks wrote:im ok with high ratios. i love the hunt but i hate the people that will bring a scale into stores or will look for case layouts.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm not a big mystery mini collector but I like the Paka Paka stuff which does not have a weighing element which may be the best way to do minis.
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 pm

slimpicks wrote:im ok with high ratios. i love the hunt but i hate the people that will bring a scale into stores or will look for case layouts.

I never weigh with a scale in stores, but I definitely do my homework on layouts. Even so, it is imperfect and I end up with extras of low ratio fillers. Can I ask how you approach this? Do you really just stab in the dark and buy a ton of random boxes? Or maybe buy by the case until you get what you wanted? If so, what do you do with the mountain of worthless junk you end up with? I still have a bunch of low ratio dupes I can't even get $2 for on eBay.

Return to “Blind Bags”