SDCC 2019 Hikari exclusives

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
brooklyn_geek

Re: SDCC 2019 Hikari exclusives

Postby brooklyn_geek » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:50 am

mohawkjones wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:
mohawkjones wrote: lol fair enough...and you know what? I'll make it my business to ask Brian if they could at least do a few small run ones for the conventions...thinking an LE 50 or 100 would be a safe bet...I'd like to see em too :D

I bugged him about Hikari last year at SDCC. He said the line was not dead but on the back burner to give more resources to higher profile lines. I know it has to be tough to divert resources to Hikari when the ROI on Pops! is so much higher.

Now if you could ask him about what is up with Vynl I would love hear what he has to say... ;-)

Yeah also I think part of it is (and this is a rumor) Mindstyle and Funko have a different relationship now...not sure if they were the ones actually producing hikari but I'm sure these things play into it, like how Super7 ended up doing their thing independent of funko with the figures that they still produce...Mindstyle had a ton of good stuff at Toy Fair but I don't think any of it had the Funko imprint or we'd have heard about it

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:Yeah also I think part of it is (and this is a rumor) Mindstyle and Funko have a different relationship now...not sure if they were the ones actually producing hikari but I'm sure these things play into it, like how Super7 ended up doing their thing independent of funko with the figures that they still produce...Mindstyle had a ton of good stuff at Toy Fair but I don't think any of it had the Funko imprint or we'd have heard about it

That makes a lot of sense. You are not the first person to mention to me a spilt or change of direction between Funko & Mindstyle. bummer, it did seem like they were heavy on the manufacturing end of the Hikari line.

Still, I love your idea of resurrecting the line as more of a boutique limited run special event/Fumko-shop exclusive item.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

hawkman2

Postby hawkman2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm guessing nothing this year, maybe too big or delicate for the show?

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:05 am

mohawkjones wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:Yeah also I think part of it is (and this is a rumor) Mindstyle and Funko have a different relationship now...not sure if they were the ones actually producing hikari but I'm sure these things play into it, like how Super7 ended up doing their thing independent of funko with the figures that they still produce...Mindstyle had a ton of good stuff at Toy Fair but I don't think any of it had the Funko imprint or we'd have heard about it

That makes a lot of sense. You are not the first person to mention to me a spilt or change of direction between Funko & Mindstyle. bummer, it did seem like they were heavy on the manufacturing end of the Hikari line.

Still, I love your idea of resurrecting the line as more of a boutique limited run special event/Fumko-shop exclusive item.

Come to think of it, I've heard of this before but I never put the pieces together. It does make a ton of sense.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:50 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

Come to think of it, I've heard of this before but I never put the pieces together. It does make a ton of sense.

Never heard of this, but makes total sense. Thanks for the info.

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 am

nightbodega wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

Yeah someone high up told me nearly 2 years ago to start grabbing as much Mindstyle Funko stuff (including Pop Asia pieces) as much as possible because they were going to be a thing of the past soon & this is what we've come to see. :-/
Logistically I think the best thing for the fans would be a Funko Shop SDCC Exclusive Hikari...that way they don't have to actually bring them to the booth. But I think the back burner on hikari stems from this situation.

slimpimp2phat

Postby slimpimp2phat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 pm

i just saw this thread, and was hoping they had some Hikari stuff lined up but there is nothing :(

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

Yeah someone high up told me nearly 2 years ago to start grabbing as much Mindstyle Funko stuff (including Pop Asia pieces) as much as possible because they were going to be a thing of the past soon & this is what we've come to see. :-/
Logistically I think the best thing for the fans would be a Funko Shop SDCC Exclusive Hikari...that way they don't have to actually bring them to the booth. But I think the back burner on hikari stems from this situation.

Got some good info there. And good idea on the Funko shop.

caliwolv

Postby caliwolv » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 pm

slimpimp2phat wrote:i just saw this thread, and was hoping they had some Hikari stuff lined up but there is nothing :(

lol lol lol I did the same! My bumblebee, megazord, and voltron need some company! Although this thread reminds me I need to go back and find the Iron Man one somewhere!
Pop Count: 1023
Dorbz: 93
Rock Candy: 1 (Sorry Enchantress)

philipali

Postby philipali » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm

just no mini hikaris for now please
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage

StarWarsFunkoGirl

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

philipali wrote:just no mini hikaris for now please

I really want some xs SW Hikaris to with the other 3 charcters
or another Freddy Funko
https://i.imgur.com/F5eaJ4O.jpg

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 758 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 180 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:06 am

Sadly with SDCC near, no Hikari probably.

philipali

Postby philipali » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:45 am

rexflexall wrote:Sadly with SDCC near, no Hikari probably.

You will never know what happens during Fundays :D
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage

StarWarsFunkoGirl

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 am

philipali wrote:
rexflexall wrote:Sadly with SDCC near, no Hikari probably.

You will never know what happens during Fundays :D

good point, we could get surprised like the pez last year
https://i.imgur.com/F5eaJ4O.jpg

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 758 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 180 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

thefunkohunko

Postby thefunkohunko » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Maybe some Hikari at Fundays 2019? Keep the faith!!!
Hey y’all, I'm Austin! I love putting smiles on people’s faces through my love for collecting and art!
Follow me on Instagram @thefunkohunko and check out my Funko art portfolio!
Aspring Funko artist!
In search of 2004 SDCC Funko-Mart items & old school Funko memorabilia!

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:39 am

thefunkohunko wrote:Maybe some Hikari at Fundays 2019? Keep the faith!!!

That’ll be a surprise and a first Hikari for me :compress:
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:40 pm

haha I hate seeing this topic.. i keep getting all excited! "Oh man an SDCC how'd I miss that!" ](*,)
Hi! I'm Dustin! I'm addicted to Pops! and a sucker for nostalgia... my wife thinks I'm stuck in the 90's.

I'm growing older but not up
- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ryespops

Postby Ryespops » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:10 am

Not even a Mini one from Fundays too...
Find Me on Instagram.com @Ryespops
Attended: Making Fun Funko Premiere, Disneyland Funatics Day Out, Funko Fundays 2017, FDO 8 NYC, Festival of Fun 2021, Funko Fundays 2022 :compress:

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

there was that one Ron English Hikari planned that funko was going to release. I remember someone saying tome wow that looks really cool but it isn't funko so i won't be buying it....that was a confusing statement lol. then the mindstyle/funko partnership kinda went away and it looks like toy tokyo is going to be distributing it with mindstyle.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

mohawkjones wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:
mohawkjones wrote: lol fair enough...and you know what? I'll make it my business to ask Brian if they could at least do a few small run ones for the conventions...thinking an LE 50 or 100 would be a safe bet...I'd like to see em too :D

I bugged him about Hikari last year at SDCC. He said the line was not dead but on the back burner to give more resources to higher profile lines. I know it has to be tough to divert resources to Hikari when the ROI on Pops! is so much higher.

Now if you could ask him about what is up with Vynl I would love hear what he has to say... ;-)

Anybody get an update on Hikari at SDCC?

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:20 am

Markn12 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:

Anybody get an update on Hikari at SDCC?

Couldn't even get near anyone who could shed any light on this as they were up on that second level of the Funko booth. I was actually supposed to get up there & even started shooting a little video once I got behind the rope, but it never happened.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 am

Alas, no Hikari at SDCC 2019!

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm

rexflexall wrote:Alas, no Hikari at SDCC 2019!

This made me a bit sad also...I was hoping that there would be at least 1...I guess not.
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a Fundays Hikari? Wishful thinking...

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:35 am

jagpop wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if they had a Fundays Hikari? Wishful thinking...

You scared me. I thought wait wait wait.. there was a Hikari??

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 am

SpastikGrl wrote:
jagpop wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if they had a Fundays Hikari? Wishful thinking...

My bad. Lol

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 am

SpastikGrl wrote:

same here haha, every time I see this thread bumped I think I missed something... unfortunately not :(
That's my secret Cap... I'm always angry

ImageImageImageImage

mrchadv

Postby mrchadv » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 am

Now that I think about it, I can't even remember the last con exclusive Hikari.....was it Copper C-3PO at SLCC like 5 years back?
Chad V
IG: http://instagram.com/milehighpophunter
Twitter: @milehighpophunt

ImageImage

ImageImage

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 am

mrchadv wrote:Now that I think about it, I can't even remember the last con exclusive Hikari.....was it Copper C-3PO at SLCC like 5 years back?

that sounds about right...we didn't get any love at fundays lol c'est la vie

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:59 pm

hawkman2 wrote:I'm guessing nothing this year, maybe too big or delicate for the show?

I'm thinking too big or too expensive for most people especially at conventions. A lot of people have limited space when they travel (especially if they fly) and the hikaris take up a lot of space). And they are expensive compared to the rest of the items in the Funko booth. Also, when you consider that everything is shared now, unless they shared the hikari with the Funko shop, I don't know what retailer would take them. They take a lot of shelf space and again, they have a high price point for something that will probably have to be eventually be put on clearance.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:47 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
mrchadv wrote:Now that I think about it, I can't even remember the last con exclusive Hikari.....was it Copper C-3PO at SLCC like 5 years back?

Off the top of my head there was also the SDCC/TT Bomb Pop Captain America. Can not remember what year that was, maybe 2017?, but I think that was the last SDCC Hikari.

The one on the left in this picture.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:53 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
hawkman2 wrote:I'm guessing nothing this year, maybe too big or delicate for the show?

I'm thinking too big or too expensive for most people especially at conventions. A lot of people have limited space when they travel (especially if they fly) and the hikaris take up a lot of space). And they are expensive compared to the rest of the items in the Funko booth. Also, when you consider that everything is shared now, unless they shared the hikari with the Funko shop, I don't know what retailer would take them. They take a lot of shelf space and again, they have a high price point for something that will probably have to be eventually be put on clearance.

Size is not the issue. Look at a lot of Hasbro & Mattel's exclusives packaging. While from a design stand point it is bad a** it is also GINORMOUS! And that doesn't stop folks from grabbing them up. And most of their stuff carries a higher price point than Hikari did.

You are right about Hikari being the most expensive item at the booth. The bigger issue is the pop-hole "it's not a pop so it's crap" mentality that is hurting any Funko line right now that is not a pop. Ands I get it from Funko's end, if a Hikari box takes up the space of 3 pop boxes and the pops are guaranteed sell throughs than I would to devote that space to Pops too. Bummer for people like myself but I get it.

ANTS131

Postby ANTS131 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:24 pm

They should bring Hikaris back!

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:48 pm

mongoose12 wrote:Wishful thinking I know lol but maybe we can post SOMETHING here in the coming days :-({|= ](*,)

I Hear that Hikari is HUGE in Japan :freddy2:
Image Image
ImageImage

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:30 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:

Size is not the issue. Look at a lot of Hasbro & Mattel's exclusives packaging. While from a design stand point it is bad a** it is also GINORMOUS! And that doesn't stop folks from grabbing them up. And most of their stuff carries a higher price point than Hikari did.

You are right about Hikari being the most expensive item at the booth. The bigger issue is the pop-hole "it's not a pop so it's crap" mentality that is hurting any Funko line right now that is not a pop. Ands I get it from Funko's end, if a Hikari box takes up the space of 3 pop boxes and the pops are guaranteed sell throughs than I would to devote that space to Pops too. Bummer for people like myself but I get it.

Size is also very dependent on who is actually buying the product in some ways too. Retailers/resellers will almost always buy no matter how big the item is since they are almost always driving to avoid space issues. While a lot of people fly since they are coming from all over the country. For Hasbro and Mattel size does matter to some point because within the last 7-8 years they have scaled their exclusives down significantly. Hasbro used to make some sets as big as 4 feet long, but never sold out since people couldn't figure out how to bring them home with them. Now their largest exclusives are much, much smaller (can fit in a suitcase). Since they don't have 70+ exclusives they can afford to have fewer, but larger exclusive sets.

They are going for a totally different market. A lot of people who go for pops aren't really looking to spend a lot either. They are used to paying $5-15 a figure so they see a great mold for $80 and they immediately say no way. They can get a handful of Pops for that price, even if they QM is a less than the HIkari QM.

FunkoNerd

Postby FunkoNerd » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:18 pm

I think Funko is done with Hikari
:freddy1:

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:14 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

Off the top of my head there was also the SDCC/TT Bomb Pop Captain America. Can not remember what year that was, maybe 2017?, but I think that was the last SDCC Hikari.

The one on the left in this picture.

Nice picture, where did you grab the captain america black and white hikari? Looks absolutely dope!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

Sparklepop5

Postby Sparklepop5 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

FunkoNerd wrote:I think Funko is done with Hikari

I hope that's not true.

FunkoNerd

Postby FunkoNerd » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Sparklepop5 wrote:

I hope that's not true.

We just haven’t seen anything lately...
:freddy1:

Sparklepop5

Postby Sparklepop5 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 pm

FunkoNerd wrote:
Sparklepop5 wrote:

I hope that's not true.

We just haven’t seen anything lately...

I know. Hopefully that just means they are gearing up for more soon.

Return to “Hikari”