About the NFL Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
smlshin

About the NFL Pops?

Postby smlshin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 am

So I'm just curious, does anyone know why Funko doesn't include helmets in their NFL Pops anymore? The older waves included them, I wonder why they stopped? Maybe cause sculpting hair for other athletes might not allow the helmet to fit? Thoughts?

MattyPHATty

Re: About the NFL Pops?

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:52 am

My guess is that it’s probably just cheaper to produce them without the helmets. I thought they were a cool touch though on the og ones

smlshin

Postby smlshin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 am

MattyPHATty wrote:My guess is that it’s probably just cheaper to produce them without the helmets. I thought they were a cool touch though on the og ones

Yeah I agree, having an extra accessory is a nice touch. Plus again, sculpting more hair on top to make the Pop at least somewhat resemble the athlete, doubt they can make the helmet fit.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 am

smlshin wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:My guess is that it’s probably just cheaper to produce them without the helmets. I thought they were a cool touch though on the og ones

Yeah I agree, having an extra accessory is a nice touch. Plus again, sculpting more hair on top to make the Pop at least somewhat resemble the athlete, doubt they can make the helmet fit.

True, the heads definitely used to be a lot more rounded so the helmets fit on them pretty well. With them being a lot more detailed now, the helmets wouldn’t fit as well as they used to with different hairstyles like you said so that could be a reason as well

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 am

Yeah my guess is the same. Cutting back on unnecessary things. I do like the old ones with the helmets.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am

Howardthepop wrote:

Yeah my guess is the same. Cutting back on unnecessary things. I do like the old ones with the helmets.

Same, I always like when they come with extra accessories. My favorite will probably always be the Wayne Gretzky chase w/ Stanley Cup.

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:18 am

MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

Same, I always like when they come with extra accessories. My favorite will probably always be the Wayne Gretzky chase w/ Stanley Cup.

Oh what? There's a Gretzky with Stanley Cup? I gotta search for a picture.

CaliCollectibles
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby CaliCollectibles » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:45 am

Cost probably has alot to do with it. Great way to differentiate the OGs from the new molds.
Hi, I'm L.J. :spiderman: US Navy Veteran

Proto ISO: US Navy Sailor (Dress Whites), Inspector Gadget, Romeo (Romeo & Juliet).

Instagram/Twitter/YouTube: CaliCollectibles
https://www.instagram.com/calicollectibles

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:09 am

Howardthepop wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

Indeed there is, it was a Canadian retailer exclusive. There is also a Sidney Crosby w/ Lord Stanley’s Cup chase as well. I was lucky enough to have someone get me one for Christmas last year

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:25 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:Same, I always like when they come with extra accessories. My favorite will probably always be the Wayne Gretzky chase w/ Stanley Cup.

Indeed there is, it was a Canadian retailer exclusive. There is also a Sidney Crosby w/ Lord Stanley’s Cup chase as well. I was lucky enough to have someone get me one for Christmas last year

That is sick. Congrats on having that in your collection. I like how they made the cup metallic.

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm

smlshin wrote:So I'm just curious, does anyone know why Funko doesn't include helmets in their NFL Pops anymore? The older waves included them, I wonder why they stopped? Maybe cause sculpting hair for other athletes might not allow the helmet to fit? Thoughts?

Funny, I’ve never notice until your mention, so I went back to have a look at the nfl pops, and you’re right. I have no idea, maybe Funko feels that without helmets the players look more like themselves. IDK. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 am

Howardthepop wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

That is sick. Congrats on having that in your collection. I like how they made the cup metallic.

Thanks, it sure is awesome. Luckily I knew someone with a Canadian hookup so they got me one for a gift. He’s my favorite of all the hockey pops

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:51 am

Short answer - :mir1: :mir1: :mir1:
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

methodsmadness

Postby methodsmadness » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

Great question, and I suppose it is the case that everyone is suggesting - the hairstyles.

It would be cool if they added a smaller helmet under their arm, holding, or just comes with (similar to the SDCC Tony Stark holding the Iron Man helmet).
Keep the MOTU line coming! :cherry:
Image Image Image Image Image

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

I'm with you on the extra accessories for Pops. There's quite a few NFL players these days with the colored / smoked out visors on their helmets, I think that'd be a really neat addition to those Pops.

The Gretzky Chase w/ The Cup is an awesome piece! Happy to have that one in my collection.
That's my secret Cap... I'm always angry

ImageImageImageImage

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 pm

angrynate wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

I'm with you on the extra accessories for Pops. There's quite a few NFL players these days with the colored / smoked out visors on their helmets, I think that'd be a really neat addition to those Pops.

The Gretzky Chase w/ The Cup is an awesome piece! Happy to have that one in my collection.

Agreed. Like someone previously mentioned, maybe even just the players holding a smaller version of their helmet or something like that.

Gretzky is awesome! Really cool idea they went with on that one.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm ok with them going no helmet... And that Gretzky is a beauty!

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 pm

I guess having more detail on the face and hair makes them more unique than just all having helmets.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:33 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
angrynate wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:Same, I always like when they come with extra accessories. My favorite will probably always be the Wayne Gretzky chase w/ Stanley Cup.

Agreed. Like someone previously mentioned, maybe even just the players holding a smaller version of their helmet or something like that.

:freddy2: have to agree the helmets are really cool, removable accessories make them unique, gretzky pop with the trophy is awesome, now maybe we get a michael jordan or Kobe with a trophy or a joe namath or joe montana with the vince Lombardi trophy
:freddy3:

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 am

Jalapenopete wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
angrynate wrote:

:freddy2: have to agree the helmets are really cool, removable accessories make them unique, gretzky pop with the trophy is awesome, now maybe we get a michael jordan or Kobe with a trophy or a joe namath or joe montana with the vince Lombardi trophy

I would go pretty crazy over Jordan in his classic Jumpman pose (that they've already done), but have different shoe accessories on the side like the Gretzky cup. Just a different pair of vinyl Jordans and you can number the pop based on the shoe. To bring it back onto topic of NFL pops I would love to see the Vince Lombardi trophy as an accessory! That would be super cool, or maybe even the Super Bowl MVP trophy?

ImageImageImageImage

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:19 am

Jalapenopete wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
angrynate wrote:

I could definitely get on board with that. Somehow incorporate all 6 trophies for Jordan or 3 Lombardi trophies for Montana. Not sure if that’s even possible but it’s definitely a cool idea

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:45 am

Production costs maybe?

Thechuch316

Postby Thechuch316 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:37 pm

No pittsburgh this time around
So Shines a good deed in a weary World!
:freddy2:

smlshin

Postby smlshin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am

mongoose12 wrote:I'm ok with them going no helmet... And that Gretzky is a beauty!

Yeah same, I don't mind it, I was just wondering.

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:08 am

smlshin wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:I'm ok with them going no helmet... And that Gretzky is a beauty!

Yeah same, I don't mind it, I was just wondering.

Personally I'd love to see them with the helmets, or at the very least helmets on the teams that have the unique helmet material. Like how the Vikings and Seahawks have the matte helmets, I think that'd be a really cool detail on the pops.

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Pop!”