Are all Action Figure Lines Dead?

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Re: Are all Action Figure Lines Dead?

Postby renardchua » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:53 pm

They still do Rick and Morty Action Figures, as well as Stranger Thing ones.

Then from time to time, some classic movies from the 80s. :)
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:41 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:I think out of all of them, I miss Rock Candy the most. So beautifully sculpted and mainly focused on the female figures of pop culture.

I miss Rock Candy as well but I don't see them as Action Figures. The way it is going, I'm afraid we will be left with Funko only making Batman and Anime pops.

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:54 pm

fbingha wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:I think out of all of them, I miss Rock Candy the most. So beautifully sculpted and mainly focused on the female figures of pop culture.

I miss Rock Candy as well but I don't see them as Action Figures. The way it is going, I'm afraid we will be left with Funko only making Batman and Anime pops.

That seems unlikely since Pop!s cater to a large variety of fandoms every day. Other lines, however, not so much.
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
fbingha wrote:

That seems unlikely since Pop!s cater to a large variety of fandoms every day. Other lines, however, not so much.

I don't actually believe that, only a sentiment that I feel where the bulk of the attention goes and I really do believe is growing.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:17 pm

fbingha wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
fbingha wrote:

I don't actually believe that, only a sentiment that I feel where the bulk of the attention goes and I really do believe is growing.

I think that other lines are definitely getting shut out no matter what Funko tries. Every time they try something new people don’t like to buy anything other than pops, mostly because the price point on other items is higher. Or if it stays at the $10-15 range people think the item is too small compared to a pop and feel slightly ripped off and don’t buy it, even if it is more stylized, comes with more accessories, etc.

Eventually Funko will stop gathering so many licenses from a business standpoint since it won’t be cost effective any more for them. Companies are now aware of how much they make off the figures and probably demand a much higher licensing fee/share of the profits than before.

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
fbingha wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:That seems unlikely since Pop!s cater to a large variety of fandoms every day. Other lines, however, not so much.

I think that other lines are definitely getting shut out no matter what Funko tries. Every time they try something new people don’t like to buy anything other than pops, mostly because the price point on other items is higher. Or if it stays at the $10-15 range people think the item is too small compared to a pop and feel slightly ripped off and don’t buy it, even if it is more stylized, comes with more accessories, etc.

Eventually Funko will stop gathering so many licenses from a business standpoint since it won’t be cost effective any more for them. Companies are now aware of how much they make off the figures and probably demand a much higher licensing fee/share of the profits than before.

People really seem to love these Soda Figures though along with Paka Paka. Wonder what's in store for them.
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

Nis_chac

Postby Nis_chac » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:06 pm

xmaldigolax wrote:Haven't really heard a peep. They haven't advertised ANYTHING new. I feel like, if it isn't a Funko Pop, no one really cares. Oh and Loungefly. Kinda sad. Most of my favorite Funko lines have fizzled (Rock Candy, Dorbz, Action Figures, Hikari). I dunno...depressed.

Seems like they’re mostly con only these days
Violin is life :-({|=
Heading to NYCC 2022- Friday badge!
https://www.instagram.com/phunko_fotography
ImageImage

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Just got the new Rick and morty ones. I like these and with this wave they added a metallic version as well.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm

The action figure market seems to be so cutthroat but at the same time, there appears to be room for so many different formats. I miss the variety of properties that Funko brought to the action figure market.
ImageImageImageImage
Patrick from Central KY - Admin for The Kentucky Funko League of Awesomeness
Proto wants: Fallout keychains and Vynls, Dr. Doom (Pops or Minis)

L3g3nD33

Postby L3g3nD33 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
fbingha wrote:

People really seem to love these Soda Figures though along with Paka Paka. Wonder what's in store for them.

Paka Pakas are LIT! Love them. And they $5 price point isn't bad.
Collecting Funko since 2016
Funko Fundays 2018, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright Night 2022
Funatics Day Out 9
San Diego Comic-Con 2019, 2022, 2023, 2024
New York Comic Con 2021, 2022, 2023

Image Image Image Image Image

Teddyb84

Postby Teddyb84 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm

Paka paka are amazing so are the soda ones
ImageIG Teddyb1984

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 am

Seen nothing in new figures lately!

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 am

YeetGrimes wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
fbingha wrote:

I agree that people seem to like them right now. But I am cautiously optimistic. They started with really popular characters and people are hyped about all their new lines. VYNL was popular at first too.

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Im with you, sad seeing some of the product lines dying out. Hikari, Dorbz, Vinyl Idolz, Vynl, Super Deluxe... some great stuff there. Heck, even Playmobil - I loved that collab and it didnt even really get started. Theres also other lines Im not missing (like Pop home).

I think the new Sodas look great but will ultimately appeal to smaller number of collectors versus Pop so will be interesting to see how far they go. Maybe having blind chases will help that line out.
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:12 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I think that other lines are definitely getting shut out no matter what Funko tries. Every time they try something new people don’t like to buy anything other than pops, mostly because the price point on other items is higher. Or if it stays at the $10-15 range people think the item is too small compared to a pop and feel slightly ripped off and don’t buy it, even if it is more stylized, comes with more accessories, etc.

I agree that people seem to like them right now. But I am cautiously optimistic. They started with really popular characters and people are hyped about all their new lines. VYNL was popular at first too.

Very true. But the good thing about Soda Figures is they got both the toy AND the packaging going for them. With Vynl it was just the toy and the idea of having a duo. Cool packaging is always a plus!

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Haven't seen any new releases, I'd say so

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am

YeetGrimes wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:People really seem to love these Soda Figures though along with Paka Paka. Wonder what's in store for them.

Very true. But the good thing about Soda Figures is they got both the toy AND the packaging going for them. With Vynl it was just the toy and the idea of having a duo. Cool packaging is always a plus!

Totally agree. I like the value of them of in everything being a cool collectible.
ImageImageImageImage

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 pm

I hope soda succeeds. Hopefully retailers are not cracking then open to hoard chases
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 pm

PaleRiderOfDoom wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I agree that people seem to like them right now. But I am cautiously optimistic. They started with really popular characters and people are hyped about all their new lines. VYNL was popular at first too.

Totally agree. I like the value of them of in everything being a cool collectible.

I think this line has a great chance to succeed :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2:
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

ThePowerOfGus

Postby ThePowerOfGus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I feel like there will be action figure lines that pop up here and there but I doubt we'll get any long lasting lines out of it. There are just so many companies making action figures these days that Funko can't carve out more than a niche market for them and the niche Funko brands just don't last too long. Of course, they may find lightning in a bottle and prove me wrong, but I'd be really surprised.
Toy Collector - Scenic Designer - Goofball

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:28 pm

ehh prob, these things haven't really taken off. Seems like a test run that didn't really pan out
:SW7a:

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:49 am

ThePowerOfGus wrote:I feel like there will be action figure lines that pop up here and there but I doubt we'll get any long lasting lines out of it. There are just so many companies making action figures these days that Funko can't carve out more than a niche market for them and the niche Funko brands just don't last too long. Of course, they may find lightning in a bottle and prove me wrong, but I'd be really surprised.

I agree with you that it may be hard for them to really carve out a market for action figures. The action figure market is very picky and very particular.

Mikey_2_times

Postby Mikey_2_times » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Can we get dragon ball figures????
:freddy2:

Instagram - Funko_2times
Collecting Funko Pops since 2012
Comic con since 2012
Funko Fundays 2017
Funko Fundays 2018
Fundays games 2021
Fundays 2022
Fundays 2023
Love to meet new collectors!

MrSmileyFace

Postby MrSmileyFace » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:26 pm

ThePowerOfGus wrote:I feel like there will be action figure lines that pop up here and there but I doubt we'll get any long lasting lines out of it. There are just so many companies making action figures these days that Funko can't carve out more than a niche market for them and the niche Funko brands just don't last too long. Of course, they may find lightning in a bottle and prove me wrong, but I'd be really surprised.

I’m with you on that. It was a nice try for Funko to do their action figure line and try to convert Funko pop collectors but I don’t think it gained enough traction to pursue.
- Ray
Instagram: grail_collector
Funko funatic Rookie of the Year nominee 2019

ImageImage

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:08 am

Believe the Rick and Morty ones they still do, as well as the Stranger Things ones.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Batcavehero24

Postby Batcavehero24 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:10 am

Was hoping for some more 1966 Batman figures, hopefully this line isn't dead

MAKING FUN PREMIERE
FDO8
FUNKO HOLLYWOOD GRAND OPENING
SDCC 06-07 15-23
FUNDAYS 18-19-22
FUNKON 21
WONDERCON 23

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:12 am

I think what pops, and even dorbz and hikari and 5 star for instance, the packaging makes the collecting really neat for inbox collectors. I think if Funko wants to make the line go, they need to figure out how to make the packaging appealing. Weird, and kind of superfluous but i think it’s key.

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm

FuegoGlorious wrote:ehh prob, these things haven't really taken off. Seems like a test run that didn't really pan out

I dont think they were very popular

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 am

There are so many action figures that are released and you really have to do something that sets you apart. I like what Funko has put out, but they really haven't done anything to set themselves apart from other offerings. 5 Stars were a fun attempt, but they didn't release enough of anything to make a real impact.
ImageImageImageImage

ThePowerOfGus

Postby ThePowerOfGus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Batcavehero24 wrote:Was hoping for some more 1966 Batman figures, hopefully this line isn't dead

Sad to say that it's a goner. The silver lining is that Mezco has the license and they are doing figures in a similar scale and they're doing a bunch of characters that Funko left out.

Batcavehero24

Postby Batcavehero24 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:31 pm

ThePowerOfGus wrote:
Batcavehero24 wrote:Was hoping for some more 1966 Batman figures, hopefully this line isn't dead

Sad to say that it's a goner. The silver lining is that Mezco has the license and they are doing figures in a similar scale and they're doing a bunch of characters that Funko left out.

Any idea when these come out?

MAKING FUN PREMIERE
FDO8
SDCC 06-07 15-23
FUNDAYS 18-19-22
FUNKON 21
WONDERCON 23

ThePowerOfGus

Postby ThePowerOfGus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Batcavehero24 wrote:
ThePowerOfGus wrote:

This Summer, according to the Toy Fair info. Of course, who knows if the current madness going on in the world will delay that.

Batcavehero24

Postby Batcavehero24 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:20 am

ThePowerOfGus wrote:
Batcavehero24 wrote:
ThePowerOfGus wrote:

This Summer, according to the Toy Fair info. Of course, who knows if the current madness going on in the world will delay that.

So I should request it for Christmas, gotcha

MAKING FUN PREMIERE
FDO8
SDCC 06-07 15-23
FUNDAYS 18-19-22
FUNKON 21
WONDERCON 23

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 pm

methodsmadness wrote:Great question...
Bad news is that we might never "officially" know, they will just fizzle out and never come back. I loved the action figures, though. :(

Lol! Like an old 80's movie! Vanish into the dust!! XD :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

Trangole04

Postby Trangole04 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:11 pm

My local stores never have any of the action figures. I would think its because they are not popular enough, but at the same time may mean that aren't able to keep them on the shelfs. wish I was able to see more in person to have a better opinion.

PixelPandaPops

Postby PixelPandaPops » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:People really seem to love these Soda Figures though along with Paka Paka. Wonder what's in store for them.

I really LOVE the Funko Soda line!
IG - @pixelpanda_pops_n_stuff
IG - @daves_comics_etc

Image Image Image

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:14 am

I think they tried the Re-action line and just didn't do what they wanted from it. COVID probably didn't help either. The action figure market is very hard to break through and stay in. Now they are trying with the soda line which is very fun. Maybe one day the action figure line will come back. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

EZA

Postby EZA » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:59 pm

The best part of the ReAction line was the card art the figure was just a bonus...

Eric collecting Funko since July 29, 2013 but a collector since 1977
Follow me on Instagram: needful_toys

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pm

EZA wrote:The best part of the ReAction line was the card art the figure was just a bonus...

I agree with you EZA the card art was fantastic on them and wish they would have been more successful to help us see more of that awesome card art. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm

EZA wrote:The best part of the ReAction line was the card art the figure was just a bonus...

That is crazy I never knew about this!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

Return to “Action Figures”