Japanese Ad Icons

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
mmmrice

Re: Japanese Ad Icons

Postby mmmrice » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
InternationalPopper wrote:
SDCC20 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Might be too late now unless it's already in the works haha.

And it somehow survives being made after this Corona Virus stuff.

Ooh didn't even think about that. Manufacturing is definitely down for at least a while.

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:04 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Might be too late now unless it's already in the works haha.

Ooh didn't even think about that. Manufacturing is definitely down for at least a while.

Yea I wouldn't be surprised if we have less exclusives at every con this year.
Funko Hollywood Grand opening
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:40 am

millone wrote:
The1one1 wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:
I learned about this through reddit a while back. It’s not crazy bc it’s true! Lol

I finally found the pic of my kids and I with Japanese Colonel Santa!! Lol :roflmao:

Aaaahahahahaha! That is so incredible. Im going to Japan now for Christmas

Do it! This was in Akihabara... the toy and video game capital of tokyo! Japanese Colonel was so amazing we had to get a pic. The locals were looking at us funny, but it was worth it! lol
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

There could be backlogs of everything this year due to supply chain issues depending on when everything is normalized.

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Ooh didn't even think about that. Manufacturing is definitely down for at least a while.

There could be backlogs of everything this year due to supply chain issues depending on when everything is normalized.

Yea that’s true too. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out. Some hot items might be scarce it’ll create some crazy demand until supply increases later.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:40 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Yea that’s true too. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out. Some hot items might be scarce it’ll create some crazy demand until supply increases later.

Idk if they would run production in batches but I guess this situation hasn't happened yet.

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:There could be backlogs of everything this year due to supply chain issues depending on when everything is normalized.

Idk if they would run production in batches but I guess this situation hasn't happened yet.

I think most pops aren’t made in China anymore, but I’m not sure where the raw material comes from. If there is a shortage this could be possibility. Of course this is all speculation
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:55 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

I think most pops aren’t made in China anymore, but I’m not sure where the raw material comes from. If there is a shortage this could be possibility. Of course this is all speculation

Really? Where it's the production coming from? The impact is also the warehouses and shipping too

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:07 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Idk if they would run production in batches but I guess this situation hasn't happened yet.

Really? Where it's the production coming from? The impact is also the warehouses and shipping too

Yea that's a very good point, shipping and freight if that slows down everything slows down.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Xenomorph

Postby Xenomorph » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 am

For me personally I only get ad icons that I have some personal connection to so I would pass on these but I hope they make some for anyone that's been wanting them!

Stardust88

Postby Stardust88 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:29 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Ooh didn't even think about that. Manufacturing is definitely down for at least a while.

The cases in China is beginning to flatten so perhaps it will give insight to a timetable of when the covid 19 season will end? That’s if their news is even reliable. Hopefully a good predictor that things will be fine by summer.

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 am

Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

The cases in China is beginning to flatten so perhaps it will give insight to a timetable of when the covid 19 season will end? That’s if their news is even reliable. Hopefully a good predictor that things will be fine by summer.

I really do hope so. It seems like the cases rise like crazy everywhere else
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am

Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

They're also on mandatory quarantine though so they've been able to limit continued spread while people here are still traveling everywhere.

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:29 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:There could be backlogs of everything this year due to supply chain issues depending on when everything is normalized.

Part of the reason is because they weren't testing enough people, the real number is probably much higher than reported

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 am

mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

They're also on mandatory quarantine though so they've been able to limit continued spread while people here are still traveling everywhere.

That’s a great point. We have not done a great job controlling the spread at all.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:51 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

Part of the reason is because they weren't testing enough people, the real number is probably much higher than reported

Yes that’s true, along with al the mild cases. People just become carriers. Going to work or public events thinking they are just sick. Unknowingly spreading it.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Yes that’s true, along with al the mild cases. People just become carriers. Going to work or public events thinking they are just sick. Unknowingly spreading it.

Yeah, that's what makes this one tough is how long you can have it without knowingly spreading it.

Stardust88

Postby Stardust88 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

My Japan trip isn’t good :(

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 am

Stardust88 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Part of the reason is because they weren't testing enough people, the real number is probably much higher than reported

Oh man GG, hope you can get your refunds.

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:57 am

The1one1 wrote:
millone wrote:
The1one1 wrote:
I finally found the pic of my kids and I with Japanese Colonel Santa!! Lol :roflmao:

Aaaahahahahaha! That is so incredible. Im going to Japan now for Christmas

Do it! This was in Akihabara... the toy and video game capital of tokyo! Japanese Colonel was so amazing we had to get a pic. The locals were looking at us funny, but it was worth it! lol

Great pic!!

Stardust88

Postby Stardust88 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am

mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Trying to get the credit card company to fight for us! But slim chance I will go. I want to hunt in Japan!

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

Trying to get the credit card company to fight for us! But slim chance I will go. I want to hunt in Japan!

Damn, I would have thought the cc companies would be able to do chargebacks pretty easily with everything happening.

Stardust88

Postby Stardust88 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 pm

mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Oh man GG, hope you can get your refunds.

Damn, I would have thought the cc companies would be able to do chargebacks pretty easily with everything happening.

If it could only work with damaged deliveries

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 pm

Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

If it could only work with damaged deliveries

Why can't cc companies just understand [-o<

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:39 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Part of the reason is because they weren't testing enough people, the real number is probably much higher than reported

Yeah, that's what makes this one tough is how long you can have it without knowingly spreading it.

yea man stuff has gone crazy this week
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:43 am

Stardust88 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Hope all goes well man
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:45 am

Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

Damn how did it end up playing out?
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

wash2366

Postby wash2366 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:50 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

From what I've heard, Funko started moving production to Vietnam right after Tariff Wars were introduced. I like the over all quality of the pops made in Vietnam anyways. :)
Name: David / Pop count: 733 / Vynals: 4/ Dorbz: 10 / Soda: 4 / Mystery Minis: 12
Collection: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... s/wash2366

ImageImageImage

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:28 am

wash2366 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Idk if they would run production in batches but I guess this situation hasn't happened yet.

From what I've heard, Funko started moving production to Vietnam right after Tariff Wars were introduced. I like the over all quality of the pops made in Vietnam anyways. :)

Have you really been able to tell the difference?

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:28 am

wash2366 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Think it started before, but that made them move almost all of production outta China
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 am

mmmrice wrote:
wash2366 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Maybe he just means in comparison, like newer pops with older ones.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Oh man GG, hope you can get your refunds.

Hopefully the complete shutdown in Italy doesn't become the norm.

wash2366

Postby wash2366 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:41 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
wash2366 wrote:

I can tell the difference actually. My wife is an OOB collector and picky as hell--Virgo thing she says. The parts where you have to actually hand paint details is where you will tell the difference. Because she is an OOB collector she looks for paint defects and more often than not they are made in China.

Plus, the China factory packages "box damaged pops". Their quality assurance is not on par with Vietnam production. Cant tell you how many times I've been at HQ during a release and I have gotten a ripped box in a sorter--straight from a China factory.

(But I'm biased. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.)

:)
Name: David / Pop count: 733 / Vynals: 4/ Dorbz: 10 / Soda: 4 / Mystery Minis: 12
Collection: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... s/wash2366

ImageImageImage

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm

wash2366 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:Have you really been able to tell the difference?

I can tell the difference actually. My wife is an OOB collector and picky as hell--Virgo thing she says. The parts where you have to actually hand paint details is where you will tell the difference. Because she is an OOB collector she looks for paint defects and more often than not they are made in China.

Plus, the China factory packages "box damaged pops". Their quality assurance is not on par with Vietnam production. Cant tell you how many times I've been at HQ during a release and I have gotten a ripped box in a sorter--straight from a China factory.

Fair enough, I usually try to find the best paint job too but I didn't know there was a big difference in country of manufacturing.

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:01 am

mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
Stardust88 wrote:

Crazy how this became reality... life changed so fast. Things have finally calmed down a bit tho.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 am

mmmrice wrote:
wash2366 wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Fair enough, I usually try to find the best paint job too but I didn't know there was a big difference in country of manufacturing.

I only do so for my more limited ones. The commons are just so massed produced.
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:07 am

Cchavez77 wrote:
mmmrice wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:

Crazy how this became reality... life changed so fast. Things have finally calmed down a bit tho.

It still feels pretty real in California. We are probably going to be like this for another few weeks for sure.

Return to “Pop!”