Funko Trading Cards

Here's a place to talk about Funko's clothing, books and bookmarks, homeware, electronics, and the like.
Dbactor

Funko Trading Cards

Postby Dbactor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 am

One of the first things i ever collected were X-men/marvel trading cards. They were my favorite, and got me into the whole scene. I think Funkofied versions of things they have a license for would be a great throwback.

What details on the backs would make them coolest to you? Artists behind the pop? Early concept art? Character bio?

What else would get you to collect them?

Ratattack

Re: Funko Trading Cards

Postby Ratattack » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:56 am

Dbactor wrote:One of the first things i ever collected were X-men/marvel trading cards. They were my favorite, and got me into the whole scene. I think Funkofied versions of things they have a license for would be a great throwback.

What details on the backs would make them coolest to you? Artists behind the pop? Early concept art? Character bio?

One of the first card trading games I played/collected was pokemon. I would love if funko did a line of funkofied pokemon in trading card version. I would like the back to have a little bio of each species of pokemon. Kind of like the pokedex entry for each pokemon, and also including the height and weight.

I would definitely collect something like this! :freddy2:

FunkOCD

Postby FunkOCD » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:58 am

Don't they already have this with the cards that came with Infinity War pops from EE?
ImageImageImageImage

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm

FunkOCD wrote:Don't they already have this with the cards that came with Infinity War pops from EE?

I forgot they had done that! Yes, so basically let’s see some more!

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:48 pm

So I think trading cards would be awesome. I think since they have their own game division, they should do something similar to pokemon. Trading collectible cards that could also be part of a card game. I would love to see this a lot. It would take up less space that is for sure.
Collecting since 2014

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:13 pm

nascar246788 wrote:So I think trading cards would be awesome. I think since they have their own game division, they should do something similar to pokemon. Trading collectible cards that could also be part of a card game. I would love to see this a lot. It would take up less space that is for sure.

That’s another good point, they already have the gaming, so why not?

methodsmadness

Postby methodsmadness » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:08 pm

I would love to see these, would be very cool!
Keep the MOTU line coming! :cherry:
Image Image Image Image Image

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Trading cards are always fun and a smart way to draw more ppl towards the Funko brand. I just hope they don't drop any LE cards etc lol

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 pm

nascar246788 wrote:So I think trading cards would be awesome. I think since they have their own game division, they should do something similar to pokemon. Trading collectible cards that could also be part of a card game. I would love to see this a lot. It would take up less space that is for sure.

This times a million!

I'm obsessed with their original characters and I think this would give artists more of a reason to create new characters. I know their big lines like Marvel and DC are the big sellers, but I feel like creating characters and just putting on them cards wouldn't be too big of an investment. Pokemon cards kind of pushed me to become a big collector so I'm all for some trading cards!
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am

mongoose12 wrote:Trading cards are always fun and a smart way to draw more ppl towards the Funko brand. I just hope they don't drop any LE cards etc lol

Oh but you know they got to haha

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:19 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:

This times a million!

I'm obsessed with their original characters and I think this would give artists more of a reason to create new characters. I know their big lines like Marvel and DC are the big sellers, but I feel like creating characters and just putting on them cards wouldn't be too big of an investment. Pokemon cards kind of pushed me to become a big collector so I'm all for some trading cards!

Great insight! This is what I’m talking about, these artists work hard and probably have so much they can do with their concepts

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 am

Dbactor wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:Trading cards are always fun and a smart way to draw more ppl towards the Funko brand. I just hope they don't drop any LE cards etc lol

Oh but you know they got to haha

yeah i know...i'm just pretending to be in denial about whats to come lol

MyLittleFunkos
HoF 2016 & CotY
HoF 2016 & CotY

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am

Trading cards would definitely be a cool idea. I really liked the ones in the EE exclusives but I think they could have been more successful if they had paired the cards with different molds. That might have enticed more people to buy them.

Keeping the cards to larger licenses would probably do well to target the younger demographic. I was big into cards when I was younger and would have loved a pack of ol' Funko tradings cards, especially if there were some cool variants (glow, metallic, maybe flocked?).
I'm Abe

Ratattack

Postby Ratattack » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:51 pm

MyLittleFunkos wrote:Trading cards would definitely be a cool idea. I really liked the ones in the EE exclusives but I think they could have been more successful if they had paired the cards with different molds. That might have enticed more people to buy them.

Keeping the cards to larger licenses would probably do well to target the younger demographic. I was big into cards when I was younger and would have loved a pack of ol' Funko tradings cards, especially if there were some cool variants (glow, metallic, maybe flocked?).

OH! I really like the idea you had with coupling the cards with new molds. I also collected Trading Cards back in the day and would be thrilled if they made some Pokemon and Yugioh cards, specially if they paired them with new molds! :freddy2:

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 pm

Ratattack wrote:
MyLittleFunkos wrote:Trading cards would definitely be a cool idea. I really liked the ones in the EE exclusives but I think they could have been more successful if they had paired the cards with different molds. That might have enticed more people to buy them.

OH! I really like the idea you had with coupling the cards with new molds. I also collected Trading Cards back in the day and would be thrilled if they made some Pokemon and Yugioh cards, specially if they paired them with new molds! :freddy2:

I like this strategy a lot! Both targeting the new molds and the variants, i remember having metallic variants for the marvel ones i collected.

Guitarpik

Postby Guitarpik » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:15 pm

It would be cool if Funko made their own collecting app. Kinda like Quidd I guess but only Funko stuff.
Mike Becker for President!

Funko_boy13

Postby Funko_boy13 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:48 pm

I think it would be awesome if they threw in a trading card in each Funko pop an the trading card that comes with it is that pop.

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:07 am

Funko_boy13 wrote:I think it would be awesome if they threw in a trading card in each Funko pop an the trading card that comes with it is that pop.

That’s what the old X-men action figures did! Loved that. Of course that would mean us in box collectors would have to crank em open :( :eek:

Ratattack

Postby Ratattack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:32 am

Dbactor wrote:
Ratattack wrote:

I like this strategy a lot! Both targeting the new molds and the variants, i remember having metallic variants for the marvel ones i collected.

Fortunately, any of the main lines I collect haven't had the Trading Card treatment. If any of my main lines would ever get cards, new molds will tip the scale in favor of getting them all :bounce:

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:14 pm

I would definitely be game to this idea. I was really into collecting Pokemon TCGs as well as Basketball cards growing up.

If ever Funko decides to release some, I would most probably be pulled back to collect again.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm

I think it’s a great idea and would really be popular. It’ll just give us funatics another avenue to keep up with all the different genres and characters, IMO. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Karubin

Postby Karubin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:38 pm

I love collecting trading cards, so I can't wait to see how it works!!

Calvin
IG: karubin_funko
Twitter: Karubin_funko

Main Line: DBZ, MHA, Naruto, NBA, Anime, Kingdom Hearts, and Overwatch
Sub Line: Freddy Funko, Pop Asia, Marvel, DC, and etc.
Pop!: 2,000+
Dorbz: 150+
ISO: Atomic Freddy & Hall H Freddy

Funko events attended FUNday 2019: Team Loko Moko, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FunKon 2021, Virtual FUNday 2021: Team Proto Punks

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 pm

I just bought a box of Steven Universe trading cards and it came with autographs and sketch cards.

Sketch cards would be perfect for Funko.

Autographs could work too for Funko employees like Brian, Mike or the Funkast. I’m sure they could find some other celebrities with Pop figures to sign some cards too.
Larry
IG: nerdandcheese

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:01 am

Dbactor wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:

This times a million!

Great insight! This is what I’m talking about, these artists work hard and probably have so much they can do with their concepts

I know Funko would hit this out of the park that is for sure.
Collecting since 2014

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 am

nerdandcheese wrote:I just bought a box of Steven Universe trading cards and it came with autographs and sketch cards.

Sketch cards would be perfect for Funko.

Autographs could work too for Funko employees like Brian, Mike or the Funkast. I’m sure they could find some other celebrities with Pop figures to sign some cards too.

What are sketch cards?

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Dbactor wrote:What are sketch cards?

The card company sends out cards with a blank front to artists to do a quick sketch on. The artist sends them back and they get inserted into the packs.

Each one is a completely unique piece of art.

Example:
Spoiler: show
Larry

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm

nerdandcheese wrote:
Dbactor wrote:What are sketch cards?

The card company sends out cards with a blank front to artists to do a quick sketch on. The artist sends them back and they get inserted into the packs.

Each one is a completely unique piece of art.

Example:
Spoiler: show

Oooo yeah i remember those. That’s a fantastic idea. I’d love them.

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:30 pm

I think Funko cards would be a perfect fit for like a Fundays type thing. I mean we have seen the playing cards from Funko which are pretty cool. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:01 pm

With the recent card craze, I could see Funko getting into this...I think a Pokemon card just sold for over 220k

Chernabog

Postby Chernabog » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 pm

I imagine they'd start with like a promo card at like comic con and fundays and see how it goes from there

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Dbactor wrote:One of the first things i ever collected were X-men/marvel trading cards. They were my favorite, and got me into the whole scene. I think Funkofied versions of things they have a license for would be a great throwback.

Marvel Master Pieces was my favorite trading card set to collect. :bounce:
Image Image
ImageImage

Dbactor

Postby Dbactor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm

DrunkoPop wrote:

A buddy was just telling me about how much he love doing collecting those. So many good options in that game.

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 am

Would the cards they've been putting in orders count?
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 am

digithor wrote:Would the cards they've been putting in orders count?

I think everyone is thinking more like Pokemon cards or sports cards. Something you can pack break live etc.. But the cards you've mentioned are still cool :cheers:

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm

Dbactor wrote:
DrunkoPop wrote:

A buddy was just telling me about how much he love doing collecting those. So many good options in that game.

The art work is unbelievable. I still have the first wave. :colors:
Image Image
ImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 am

mongoose12 wrote:
digithor wrote:Would the cards they've been putting in orders count?

I think everyone is thinking more like Pokemon cards or sports cards. Something you can pack break live etc.. But the cards you've mentioned are still cool :cheers:

Yeah those are more of what people were talking about, probably a difficult road to start down for the license required from companies.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Tynett
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Tynett » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:17 am

I remember they did some cards for Wetmore forest at the grand opening. I also remember they had the Beerus card with the funimation exclusive but it wasn't a funko card of course.
Collection Focus - Star Wars, LOST, Video Games, 90's TV
Image Image

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am

Oh man id be all over funko trading cards!
This would be awesome
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Wed May 04, 2022 10:35 pm

Bumping up an old thread

Did anyone pick up the Webbly card at the Aquasox game last week?

Larry

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 pm

Trading cards is a very popular and profitable market for them. They are already doing well with the NFT's, imagine limited edition and numbered cards. Definitely worth getting!
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Funko Products”