Proposal: Funko Designer Series

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
CollectorBadger

Proposal: Funko Designer Series

Postby CollectorBadger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:10 pm

As Funko becomes more of a Toy Giant it would be amazing to see them pay a tribute to their roots, the amazing design team that has made the company as great as it is.

I know a lot of other companies are getting into more designer and artist driven toys like DC Collectibles with their Artist Alley Series and now even Sideshow Collectibles!

It would be very cool to let the artist have a run at a licence(s) of choice and let their design elements shine through other than being restricted by the line they are working on. Also crediting the artist would be key to this as well.

I think they would turn out some awesome products, just an idea as my funko shelves fill up with uniformity, it would be nice to see something outside the box.

Nick IG: collector.badger

Gothamite

Re: Proposal: Funko Designer Series

Postby Gothamite » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Funko has tried developing new lines and even their own IP, but many of them don't last. Most people just want to collect Pops, which accounts for more than 60% or 70% of Funko's revenue.

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 am

Gothamite wrote:Funko has tried developing new lines and even their own IP, but many of them don't last. Most people just want to collect Pops, which accounts for more than 60% or 70% of Funko's revenue.

I am aware.....definitely not talking about developing a new line to mass produce product, I would like to see the artists have free reign to design a unique toy for a given licence in whatever style they choose, obviously it wouldn't have mass appeal and it would have to be a limited release and be more expensive than your average $10 pop but I believe it would appeal to those funatics who collect designer toys as well and are a little worn out at the mass production of the other lines.

Artists receiving credit for their work is also a draw to something like this, it would great to get to know these artists that we've grown to love behind the scenes more.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm

I like this idea but idk if it would ever be a reality unfortunately.
I have no idea how much it would cost to produce it all and if they did end up making stuff what the price point would end up being to cover it and make a profit.

It could work on a small scale possibly. I know Reis does his own thing and he seems to be doing well, but would it work for every artist? Maybe? Maybe not. Depending on the costs and design I would try for something. It reminds me of the custom Retro Freddys from a few years ago.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 pm

I have to agree with the other people who have already commented. While it would be a super cool idea and many hardcore fans would probably buy it, Funko sadly doesn't make bank off the hardcore collectors at the end of the day. They make their real money from what sells well long term and the more recognizable characters and items. What someone who isn't necessarily a collector can pick up as a gift for a child or their loved one that they know likes a certain TV show or game. Funko has tried making more designer items or even more artsy type items than pops but those lines eventually all end up cancelled.

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:As Funko becomes more of a Toy Giant it would be amazing to see them pay a tribute to their roots, the amazing design team that has made the company as great as it is.

I know a lot of other companies are getting into more designer and artist driven toys like DC Collectibles with their Artist Alley Series and now even Sideshow Collectibles!

It would be very cool to let the artist have a run at a licence(s) of choice and let their design elements shine through other than being restricted by the line they are working on. Also crediting the artist would be key to this as well.

I think they would turn out some awesome products, just an idea as my funko shelves fill up with uniformity, it would be nice to see something outside the box.

I dig this idea Nick! Definitely wondered about this same concept but glad to see you put it out there! Fingers crossed something like this could be something possible down the road...
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:41 am

dexiesmom wrote:I have to agree with the other people who have already commented. While it would be a super cool idea and many hardcore fans would probably buy it, Funko sadly doesn't make bank off the hardcore collectors at the end of the day. They make their real money from what sells well long term and the more recognizable characters and items. What someone who isn't necessarily a collector can pick up as a gift for a child or their loved one that they know likes a certain TV show or game. Funko has tried making more designer items or even more artsy type items than pops but those lines eventually all end up cancelled.

I know, a bit of a pipe dream, haha. I agree, I don't think it would be a huge money maker for them but more of a tribute to their art team. Just spitballing of course :)

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

BigM wrote:I like this idea but idk if it would ever be a reality unfortunately.
I have no idea how much it would cost to produce it all and if they did end up making stuff what the price point would end up being to cover it and make a profit.

It could work on a small scale possibly. I know Reis does his own thing and he seems to be doing well, but would it work for every artist? Maybe? Maybe not. Depending on the costs and design I would try for something. It reminds me of the custom Retro Freddys from a few years ago.

Yeah, I do agree with you on your points. It would be nice to see the artists get some exposure without having to start their own companies like Reis. Doing it under the funko name would probably help some of those artists who don't have the same name recognition as Reis.

It was just an idea I hoped for in the back of my mind as Funko is growing leaps and bounds and becoming more of a toy company and less of a collectible company.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:39 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I have to agree with the other people who have already commented. While it would be a super cool idea and many hardcore fans would probably buy it, Funko sadly doesn't make bank off the hardcore collectors at the end of the day. They make their real money from what sells well long term and the more recognizable characters and items. What someone who isn't necessarily a collector can pick up as a gift for a child or their loved one that they know likes a certain TV show or game. Funko has tried making more designer items or even more artsy type items than pops but those lines eventually all end up cancelled.

I know, a bit of a pipe dream, haha. I agree, I don't think it would be a huge money maker for them but more of a tribute to their art team. Just spitballing of course :)

I think it would be an awesome way for their art team to release some creativity. Maybe one way they could do it is with limited releases for charity or something. Then they could be able to release them without the pressure of profit margins.

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
CollectorBadger wrote:

I think it would be an awesome way for their art team to release some creativity. Maybe one way they could do it is with limited releases for charity or something. Then they could be able to release them without the pressure of profit margins.

I really like the idea of them doing this but more so as a charity release. I actualy think that would push sales for these items.
:freddy3: Collector, convention manager, all around nerdy weirdo!!

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:14 pm

That would be pretty sick to see!
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:04 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:it would be nice to see something outside the box.

Just gotta take them out of their cardboard prisons.. bro... lol

All joking aside, I would love to see some small run "designer" style toys from the senior artists.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 am

Funko will likely never honor the concept artists and sculptors. they are like NECA and Mattel, cogs in corporate machines. That's why many of the employees (both current and recently let go) are doing their own things now like Reis, Nnenna, Isabel, Shanna Duncan. Getting some creative satisfaction. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them pitch their stuff to Unruly Industries, but I am pretty sure Funko is not about that creativity.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

pommefille

Postby pommefille » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:54 am

I'd imagine these things get legally complicated pretty quickly...
----ig: kavka twitter: kavka fb: kavka----

Brutesquad

Postby Brutesquad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:25 pm

They definitely have the talent and resources to do it, would be great to see some unique and niche type things come from Funko. Hopefully something down the road!

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 pm

evrythngzen wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
CollectorBadger wrote:

I really like the idea of them doing this but more so as a charity release. I actualy think that would push sales for these items.

I think so too. The Funko community tends to be very large hearted and giving so I think this could be very cool. Could raise a lot of money and help the artists really show off their creativity. They honestly could even start small and make blank Freddys or pops that different artists could decorate.

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:11 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:As Funko becomes more of a Toy Giant it would be amazing to see them pay a tribute to their roots, the amazing design team that has made the company as great as it is.

That would be a cool concept!
2013 NYCC
2014 1st Pop at NYCC
2014 NYCC
2015 NYCC
2016 NYCC
2017 NYCC
2018 NYCC
2018 1st Proto at NYCC Fugitive Party
2019 NY Toy Fair
2019 NYCC
2021 NYCC
2022 SMF1, SMF2 and SMF Soda
2022 NYCC
2022 Fright Night II

http://www.instagram.com/jersey_jorge

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:54 am

Guess Ron English granted your wish ;-)
Hi, I'm Alex. I started collecting Funko in 2016, and love Wacky Wobblers, Hikari, Pop!, and Spastik Plastik! I love superheroes, basketball, collecting, drawing, and having fun. I also love attending conventions like E3, LACC, and DesignerCon.

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:03 am

AleX-Men wrote:

Not exactly what I was referring to, RE is a brand of his own.....was hoping for more original stuff by FUnkos artists, which is now what Paka Paka is becoming, which is cool.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:04 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

Not exactly what I was referring to, RE is a brand of his own.....was hoping for more original stuff by FUnkos artists, which is now what Paka Paka is becoming, which is cool.

Are the Paka Paka stuff all original? I know nothing about it but it is cool to see some stuff outside of the big 4 properties.
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

Oh, I see what you mean. I miss stuff like the spastiks
Hi, I'm Alex. I started collecting Funko in 2016, and love Wacky Wobblers, Hikari, Pop!, and Spastik Plastik! I love superheroes, basketball, collecting, drawing, and having fun. I also love attending conventions like E3, LACC, and DesignerCon.

FunkOCD

Postby FunkOCD » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 am

Does Futura count?
ImageImageImageImage

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:06 pm

BigM wrote:
CollectorBadger wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

Are the Paka Paka stuff all original? I know nothing about it but it is cool to see some stuff outside of the big 4 properties.

Yep all original, I think certain artists or teams are taking on each series. The exception is the Soda Kats, that one is licensed by Black Seed Toys, which are designer toys already.

A really great example of an artist driven original series with Paka Paka is Boo Hallow, totally based off of Reis's art, he used to do Halloween Doodles all the time in that style years back....cool to see them convert that to a mini series.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:56 pm

CollectorBadger wrote:
BigM wrote:
CollectorBadger wrote:

Yep all original, I think certain artists or teams are taking on each series. The exception is the Soda Kats, that one is licensed by Black Seed Toys, which are designer toys already.

A really great example of an artist driven original series with Paka Paka is Boo Hallow, totally based off of Reis's art, he used to do Halloween Doodles all the time in that style years back....cool to see them convert that to a mini series.

Cool. That will be fun to watch them grow. Seems like they’re getting a good following.
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Personally I really like this idea. Here's my twist on it. Have all the artist at Funko take one item and make, create, alter a very special piece and then place all items created online in a charity auction.

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Sun May 10, 2020 10:38 pm

TJLAUTERBACH wrote:Personally I really like this idea. Here's my twist on it. Have all the artist at Funko take one item and make, create, alter a very special piece and then place all items created online in a charity auction.

Oooo that's a great idea! I have noticed people I follow on Instagram are buying more of those designer type of items that have the low piece count but are uniquely made/ painted. It would work really well with Funko
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Mon May 11, 2020 7:26 am

FireEmblemZack wrote:
TJLAUTERBACH wrote:Personally I really like this idea. Here's my twist on it. Have all the artist at Funko take one item and make, create, alter a very special piece and then place all items created online in a charity auction.

Oooo that's a great idea! I have noticed people I follow on Instagram are buying more of those designer type of items that have the low piece count but are uniquely made/ painted. It would work really well with Funko

I have gravitated to them as well over the past 3 years. Have found several independent artist that are making some amazing pieces. Some are even local which makes it that much better. What really neat is seeing what artist can do when not held back by a license requirement.

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 am

Great idea but I think with how big Funko it is, as well as the current situation we are in, then this will be tough to execute.

But, recently we saw this happen with the Ron English Freddy, as well as the Ron English drop (Mona Lisa Grin) at Funko Shop.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

cptsailor

Postby cptsailor » Mon May 11, 2020 9:03 am

I think this would be doable for a sompany like Funko. Would be cool to see them sponsor their artists to be creative and license their original ideas.

Paka Paka is very refreshing to see and fun to collect. I enjoy how unique each line is and definitely would like to see something similar in the 4" or greater format.
Hi, I'm Dillon!

IG: cptsailor

Hgmaddhatter

Postby Hgmaddhatter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:17 am

This please and thankyou! Lol I love the idea of letting the designers have some leeway and create their own designs....
Image Image ImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:05 am

Hgmaddhatter wrote:This please and thankyou! Lol I love the idea of letting the designers have some leeway and create their own designs....

Didn't they made one already?
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Return to “Vinyl”