1/12 GITD, Metallic, chrome base Ironman (the story)

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
AleX-Men

Re: 1/12 GITD, Metallic, chrome base Ironman (the story)

Postby AleX-Men » Tue May 19, 2020 1:45 am

funkystark wrote:Since the funatics giving back section doesn't allow pics here it is

Many moons ago I had a 100% complete marvel collection with many 1, 2 and 3 of a kinds, hand painted protos. Also as my board name would suggest I believe I was the first die hard, if not he first one of, Ironman fans. Glow in the dark pieces are some of my favorite and I thought how wonderful would it be to have a glow in the dark Ironman. Not knowing anything about production cost, I emailed Brian and asked him how much it would cost to get a small run of glow in the dark Ironman wobblers made so I could keep one and contest the rest away on the board. A bit of time went by and I thought I wasn't going to hear back from Brian but I finally did. It was a polite reply explaining that because of licensing issues this was something that he probably couldn't do. Fast forward about 2 months or more and I had long stopped thinking about my dream of a GITD Ironman. I was sitting at home and there was a ring at the doorbell and I saw a Fedex truck in the driveway and I thought what the heck? I don't have anything on the way.... he handed me a box and I saw that it was from Funko? I thought what the what... then I opened the box. I near fainted! There was a little note telling me they were a 1/12 production and I later saw that the other 6 went to Gemini to sell. That was one of the first times I experienced how truly above and beyond this wonderful company called Funko (and Brian) truly are.

I know this post is old but is there still anyway to get this Iron Man? I missed out on Gemini and have no connections with Brian.
Hi, I'm Alex. I started collecting Funko in 2016, and love Wacky Wobblers, Hikari, Pop!, and Spastik Plastik! I love superheroes, basketball, collecting, drawing, and having fun. I also love attending conventions like E3, LACC, and DesignerCon.

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 am

AleX-Men wrote:I know this post is old but is there still anyway to get this Iron Man? I missed out on Gemini and have no connections with Brian.

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm

AleX-Men wrote:
funkystark wrote:Since the funatics giving back section doesn't allow pics here it is

Many moons ago I had a 100% complete marvel collection with many 1, 2 and 3 of a kinds, hand painted protos. Also as my board name would suggest I believe I was the first die hard, if not he first one of, Ironman fans. Glow in the dark pieces are some of my favorite and I thought how wonderful would it be to have a glow in the dark Ironman. Not knowing anything about production cost, I emailed Brian and asked him how much it would cost to get a small run of glow in the dark Ironman wobblers made so I could keep one and contest the rest away on the board. A bit of time went by and I thought I wasn't going to hear back from Brian but I finally did. It was a polite reply explaining that because of licensing issues this was something that he probably couldn't do. Fast forward about 2 months or more and I had long stopped thinking about my dream of a GITD Ironman. I was sitting at home and there was a ring at the doorbell and I saw a Fedex truck in the driveway and I thought what the heck? I don't have anything on the way.... he handed me a box and I saw that it was from Funko? I thought what the what... then I opened the box. I near fainted! There was a little note telling me they were a 1/12 production and I later saw that the other 6 went to Gemini to sell. That was one of the first times I experienced how truly above and beyond this wonderful company called Funko (and Brian) truly are.

I know this post is old but is there still anyway to get this Iron Man? I missed out on Gemini and have no connections with Brian.

It's all about the hunt, if you really want one go find one. That is what makes collecting Funko fun is the hunt IMHO.
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

It's all about the hunt, if you really want one go find one. That is what makes collecting Funko fun is the hunt IMHO.

Very true words!! The thrill of the hunt is quite addictive :bom: :drunken: :cheese:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

The hunt is fun yes, but if Brian has 6 and gemini sold out, doesn’t mean the only place to look is on the forum, ebay/mecari, or fundays?
Hi, I'm Alex. I started collecting Funko in 2016, and love Wacky Wobblers, Hikari, Pop!, and Spastik Plastik! I love superheroes, basketball, collecting, drawing, and having fun. I also love attending conventions like E3, LACC, and DesignerCon.

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:
Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

Very true words!! The thrill of the hunt is quite addictive :bom: :drunken: :cheese:

Well, Guess I’ll have to go to the in search of section lol

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:
Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

To the ISO section I go!

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:
Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

The hunt can be yes!

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 pm

AleX-Men wrote:

Fantastic story to keep alive, beautiful :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Wed May 20, 2020 1:41 pm

AleX-Men wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:
Reverend wrote:

The hunt can be yes!

If the hunt was easy it wouldn't be called a hunt, try hunting down 1/1 or 1/2. I wouldn't have my collection if I gave up that easy, I am always in search of something super rare. That is the only reason I am still collecting :D

When you hunt pieces like this, place like gemini won't have them you need to start looking at peoples collection and find at least 1 of the 12 people that own this piece to sell. So if you find it make sure you stand tall when you make a offer, just a word of advice because you don't want to waste theirs or your time. Plus no one ever wants to be that guy! Ok so there are tons of tools out there just don't be one of them :roflmao:
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

FireFist

Postby FireFist » Wed May 20, 2020 5:02 pm

I love looking at old post and hearing amzing stories like this one, I love the Iron Man movies which I feel paved the way for the mcu, I collect some iron man pops, I just found out recently about the freddy funko as iron man wobblers whcih I am going after, the fact that this amazing piece exists adds another piece to my wishlist which one day I hopefully can get.
    Image Image
Iso:One Piece and Yugioh Protos
Instagram:@stardust.singh

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Thu May 21, 2020 6:23 am

Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:

The hunt can be yes!

If the hunt was easy it wouldn't be called a hunt, try hunting down 1/1 or 1/2. I wouldn't have my collection if I gave up that easy, I am always in search of something super rare. That is the only reason I am still collecting :D

When you hunt pieces like this, place like gemini won't have them you need to start looking at peoples collection and find at least 1 of the 12 people that own this piece to sell. So if you find it make sure you stand tall when you make a offer, just a word of advice because you don't want to waste theirs or your time. Plus no one ever wants to be that guy! Ok so there are tons of tools out there just don't be one of them :roflmao:

Yeah, I understand. I never actually buy from people or other collectors. Just like people have their opinions on in/out of box, mint vs not mint, I like to collect items straight from the source. What I mean by this is that If a sticker says from let’s say fugitive, you buy it from fugitive; or, if it’s a bruce lee item, you buy it from either Bait or Bruce Lee’s store. I know it sounds ridiculous and perfectionist, but I have a logic to it. If I just bought all my items from just resale stores, then where would the fun be? If I bought my Kait Diaz from some place else, than I would’ve never gone to E3 and imo one of the greatest conventions ever. When I look for each exclusive store, I learn more about older stores and potentially more items and exclusives. Looking for each exclusive place has expanded my horizons more than I thought it could, and taught me to keep on searching for each and every awesome item. It’s not that I don’t trust the collectors with these rare items or don’t like them, as people like you and others on the forum are some of the nicest and most helpful people I’ve ever talked to. It’s just my method of collecting, my habit, my process. I know stuff like 1/2 or 1/1 can only he obtained from other collectors, but if I don’t have it, I learn to appreciate what I do. And hey, if they have it, they are probably more deserving of it then me. I just keep on doing what I do and hope for the best, because you never know what opportunities may come. Maybe one day I’ll have a very rare figurine of my own, done by method. If not, than I keep on trying, hoping to find grails to add to my collection. My method could be taken as foolish and absurd, but it makes me satisfied and continues to take me to new and interesting places. I hope you continue to find happiness and satisfaction in your methods of collecting, as a collector as committed and persevering as you deserves to succeed in your craft.

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Thu May 21, 2020 6:24 am

AleX-Men wrote:
Reverend wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:
The hunt can be yes!

Yeah, I understand. I never actually buy from people or other collectors. Just like people have their opinions on in/out of box, mint vs not mint, I like to collect items straight from the source. What I mean by this is that If a sticker says from let’s say fugitive, you buy it from fugitive; or, if it’s a bruce lee item, you buy it from either Bait or Bruce Lee’s store. I know it sounds ridiculous and perfectionist, but I have a logic to it. If I just bought all my items from just resale stores, then where would the fun be? If I bought my Kait Diaz from some place else, than I would’ve never gone to E3 and imo one of the greatest conventions ever. When I look for each exclusive store, I learn more about older stores and potentially more items and exclusives. Looking for each exclusive place has expanded my horizons more than I thought it could, and taught me to keep on searching for each and every awesome item. It’s not that I don’t trust the collectors with these rare items or don’t like them, as people like you and others on the forum are some of the nicest and most helpful people I’ve ever talked to. It’s just my method of collecting, my habit, my process. I know stuff like 1/2 or 1/1 can only he obtained from other collectors, but if I don’t have it, I learn to appreciate what I do have. And hey, if they have it, they are probably more deserving of it then me. I just keep on doing what I do and hope for the best, because you never know what opportunities may come. Maybe one day I’ll have a very rare figurine of my own, done by method. If not, than I keep on trying, hoping to find grails to add to my collection. My method could be taken as foolish and absurd, but it makes me satisfied and continues to take me to new and interesting places. I hope you continue to find happiness and satisfaction in your methods of collecting, as a collector as committed and persevering as you deserves to succeed in your craft.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Thu May 21, 2020 11:03 am

AleX-Men wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:
Reverend wrote:

Yeah, I understand. I never actually buy from people or other collectors. Just like people have their opinions on in/out of box, mint vs not mint, I like to collect items straight from the source. What I mean by this is that If a sticker says from let’s say fugitive, you buy it from fugitive; or, if it’s a bruce lee item, you buy it from either Bait or Bruce Lee’s store. I know it sounds ridiculous and perfectionist, but I have a logic to it. If I just bought all my items from just resale stores, then where would the fun be? If I bought my Kait Diaz from some place else, than I would’ve never gone to E3 and imo one of the greatest conventions ever. When I look for each exclusive store, I learn more about older stores and potentially more items and exclusives. Looking for each exclusive place has expanded my horizons more than I thought it could, and taught me to keep on searching for each and every awesome item. It’s not that I don’t trust the collectors with these rare items or don’t like them, as people like you and others on the forum are some of the nicest and most helpful people I’ve ever talked to. It’s just my method of collecting, my habit, my process. I know stuff like 1/2 or 1/1 can only he obtained from other collectors, but if I don’t have it, I learn to appreciate what I do have. And hey, if they have it, they are probably more deserving of it then me. I just keep on doing what I do and hope for the best, because you never know what opportunities may come. Maybe one day I’ll have a very rare figurine of my own, done by method. If not, than I keep on trying, hoping to find grails to add to my collection. My method could be taken as foolish and absurd, but it makes me satisfied and continues to take me to new and interesting places. I hope you continue to find happiness and satisfaction in your methods of collecting, as a collector as committed and persevering as you deserves to succeed in your craft.

I know you have been digging up a lot of posts and looking at rare pieces on the board, and it’s cool! I love pieces like this too and the stories are just as fun. I’ve forgotten about some of these old posts so it’s fun to see them again. But one thing is, if you’re only buying “straight from the Source” then you will most likely not get many old pieces. Gemini very, very rarely gets or finds some unique pieces and puts them up for sale. Sometimes they do have small exclusive runs or pieces that don’t get approved such as the Scooby Dum Dorbz form a couple years ago where they had 10 Made.

With this piece, Gemini sold these years ago. There were 6 and I’m pretty certain all 6 were sold then so it’s not likely they’ll put another one up for sale this week.

Like Rev said above the hunt is fun! You will have to be diligent and search and have a little bit of luck (and $$$$). I’ve been very fortunate and have found some unproduced and rare pieces for my collection but they’ve all been from eBay/other collections.
Nothing wrong with your method of collecting (buying straight from the small stores is better for them) but if you want some other stuff, you’ll have to go outside of them. Good luck with your searches!
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Buying straight from the source is surely one way to manage your collection. I get it, in a away. The Freddys I got myself at Fundays are much more special than those I bought on eBay.

You can look at your collection and think of every piece, I did the work to get all of those items. A throwback, let's pretend eBay and the ease of which obtaining via the internet doesn't exist. Let's take it back to to about 1993, which is happens to be the year I came onto the internet in college.

AleX-Men

Postby AleX-Men » Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm

BigM wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:
AleX-Men wrote:

I know you have been digging up a lot of posts and looking at rare pieces on the board, and it’s cool! I love pieces like this too and the stories are just as fun. I’ve forgotten about some of these old posts so it’s fun to see them again. But one thing is, if you’re only buying “straight from the Source” then you will most likely not get many old pieces. Gemini very, very rarely gets or finds some unique pieces and puts them up for sale. Sometimes they do have small exclusive runs or pieces that don’t get approved such as the Scooby Dum Dorbz form a couple years ago where they had 10 Made.

With this piece, Gemini sold these years ago. There were 6 and I’m pretty certain all 6 were sold then so it’s not likely they’ll put another one up for sale this week.

Like Rev said above the hunt is fun! You will have to be diligent and search and have a little bit of luck (and $$$$). I’ve been very fortunate and have found some unproduced and rare pieces for my collection but they’ve all been from eBay/other collections.
Nothing wrong with your method of collecting (buying straight from the small stores is better for them) but if you want some other stuff, you’ll have to go outside of them. Good luck with your searches!

Thanks very much, I’ll see what I can do :cheers:

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”