Using weights or not?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Dsho333

Using weights or not?

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on using weights? I think using a scale in a store is bad, but what about after you have purchased? Should you sell ones you have weighed and haven't open since you don't need that weight? I just see so many posts of people selling tons of duplicates and wonder if they feel using weights is morally wrong. I was testing some weights of the alien remix and when I thought I had a certain one it was off and got a different character. Seems like there was enough variance between 0 to 2 grams sometimes.

billydarector

Re: Using weights or not?

Postby billydarector » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 pm

I say weigh on! If you don't, the next person will. Plus Funko giving us more of that 1/6 BS making us weigh more. No one wants to waste money on duplicates. If they did 1/12 or higher ratios, I'd be more incline to not weigh as much. Or even 1 1/6 minis....but not 4...and I've spent quite a bit in the past before scaling. In some cases, I like the surprise factor sometimes and go in on it blind but depends on mood...haha
ISO: Rare Mystery Minis, Retro Freddys
Over 1200 Mystery Minis and growing
Image Image

:freddy3:

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:10 pm

I’m guilty of doing this, think I’ve done its once or twice lol. So I don’t see anything wrong with it, just sayin’.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 am

billydarector wrote:I say weigh on! If you don't, the next person will. Plus Funko giving us more of that 1/6 BS making us weigh more. No one wants to waste money on duplicates. If they did 1/12 or higher ratios, I'd be more incline to not weigh as much. Or even 1 1/6 minis....but not 4...and I've spent quite a bit in the past before scaling. In some cases, I like the surprise factor sometimes and go in on it blind but depends on mood...haha

I agree, the point of all this is hunting and collecting, not selling off your dupes

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:19 am

lavery01 wrote:I’m guilty of doing this, think I’ve done its once or twice lol. So I don’t see anything wrong with it, just sayin’.

I don't mean any judgment, just curious. The Office will be my first set that I try to get every single mini.

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:05 am

I weigh all mini sets i buy, all boxes i see. I have a box of dupes from doing it without a scale, just not worth it.

Also, since Funko makes it so buying a case is a stupid idea, scales are the only option. 4 of the same figure in each crate or more, makes no sense.

Personally, if people dont want to scale, thats great. Ill take the 1/72 they leave behind with my scale. You know what they say, one born every day.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 am

I've weighed other products but never MM...I really don't care what anyone does so long as they don't just rip open a box and leave it there
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 pm

mongoose12 wrote:I've weighed other products but never MM...I really don't care what anyone does so long as they don't just rip open a box and leave it there

Yeah definitely opening the boxes is a big no no. I've walked into some stores and had boxes just destroyed. Also happened with mystery boxes at GameStop and Barnes and Noble.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:09 pm

FredKruger wrote:I weigh all mini sets i buy, all boxes i see. I have a box of dupes from doing it without a scale, just not worth it.

Also, since Funko makes it so buying a case is a stupid idea, scales are the only option. 4 of the same figure in each crate or more, makes no sense.

Personally, if people dont want to scale, thats great. Ill take the 1/72 they leave behind with my scale. You know what they say, one born every day.

Yeah I don't like how the odds aren't actually odds since they are filling the cases on purpose and not randomly. They should go back to the odds of all 1/12 and maybe some 1/6. Then have exclusives at 1/12 and 1/24 and 1/36.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:I've weighed other products but never MM...I really don't care what anyone does so long as they don't just rip open a box and leave it there

Yeah definitely opening the boxes is a big no no. I've walked into some stores and had boxes just destroyed. Also happened with mystery boxes at GameStop and Barnes and Noble.

Low class move... but yeah it happens way too often.
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
lavery01 wrote:I’m guilty of doing this, think I’ve done its once or twice lol. So I don’t see anything wrong with it, just sayin’.

I don't mean any judgment, just curious. The Office will be my first set that I try to get every single mini.

Well I wish you luck. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:04 pm

lavery01 wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

Well I wish you luck. lol

I should be able to get all the regular ones and probably hot topic/box lunch but I might have to just buy the Walmart ones from resellers

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:00 am

As long as you don’t open the boxes, I’m fine with whatever!
Instagram- calebshiny

Rothkolion

Postby Rothkolion » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm

I have never scaled before and have spent way too much buying the Disney Afternoon series. I have a ton of extras because I was looking for on last character (that I ended up buying from a reseller because I had spent too much). It stopped me from buying the HB sets because I didn’t have the money to devote so I skipped the collection and wish I had not. I think I might scale next time there’s a collection I cannot miss. I like the surprise but when you just need a few last ones, it can be very frustrating and takes the joy away.
HUGE Cartoon fan who has been collecting Funko since 2015. Collect everything Hanna-Barbara including Pops, Pez and Sodas. Also collect Disney, 80’s cartoons and Ad Icons!

Instagram & Twitter: @Rothkolion

Funko Wishlist: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... w=wishlist

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm not a fan of scales or weighing your toys. I wish, instead, that Funko would get rid of 1/6 and go no higher than 1/72.

Personally, if I'm only looking for one or two, I'll hit up ebay and the BST pages. If I want to collect a majority of the set, I buy singles until I get a dupe, then go to Ebay or the BST pages.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find it much easier to just buy what I want on the secondary market.
Funklub: 11181

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Rothkolion wrote:I have never scaled before and have spent way too much buying the Disney Afternoon series. I have a ton of extras because I was looking for on last character (that I ended up buying from a reseller because I had spent too much). It stopped me from buying the HB sets because I didn’t have the money to devote so I skipped the collection and wish I had not. I think I might scale next time there’s a collection I cannot miss. I like the surprise but when you just need a few last ones, it can be very frustrating and takes the joy away.

Yeah it definitely takes away from the fun to not get all the characters if possible, I was intimated before because I didn't want to waste a ton of money to just get commons

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Squird wrote:I'm not a fan of scales or weighing your toys. I wish, instead, that Funko would get rid of 1/6 and go no higher than 1/72.

Personally, if I'm only looking for one or two, I'll hit up ebay and the BST pages. If I want to collect a majority of the set, I buy singles until I get a dupe, then go to Ebay or the BST pages.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find it much easier to just buy what I want on the secondary market.

Yeah that's definitely a option most people have to turn to, it would be nice to get it all for myself, that's what collecting is for me, I told myself I wouldn't buy a chase second hand until I found one I wanted myself

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:48 pm

No weights for me, it takes the fun out of the gamble. The suspense and ultimate satisfaction of pulling something you want is part of the fun.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm

jagpop wrote:No weights for me, it takes the fun out of the gamble. The suspense and ultimate satisfaction of pulling something you want is part of the fun.

Even when trying to complete a set? Do you enjoy getting tons of duplicates?

Imagery

Postby Imagery » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:33 pm

I used to roll the dice, but with the current ratios, weighing is the only way not to waste a bunch of money on doubles. And because everyone gets the exact same doubles, it's almost impossible to trade or sell them so you're typically stuck with them. It also comes in handy if there's just one or two pieces you want from a set. Not sure if there's a huge difference between weighing in store or weighing them at home and then returning the unopened ones — just fewer steps. And it typically just comes down to the store policy.
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night, 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada, Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am

Imagery wrote:I used to roll the dice, but with the current ratios, weighing is the only way not to waste a bunch of money on doubles. And because everyone gets the exact same doubles, it's almost impossible to trade or sell them so you're typically stuck with them. It also comes in handy if there's just one or two pieces you want from a set. Not sure if there's a huge difference between weighing in store or weighing them at home and then returning the unopened ones — just fewer steps. And it typically just comes down to the store policy.

Yeah, it seems like they make the sets almost too hard that it pushes more people away than it does pull them in, I've started to notice too that alot of cases have the rarer ones on the top layer so if you get to a case late, you are really screwed

Rothkolion

Postby Rothkolion » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 am

Dsho333 wrote:
jagpop wrote:No weights for me, it takes the fun out of the gamble. The suspense and ultimate satisfaction of pulling something you want is part of the fun.

I agree I like the hunt but if I only need one or two to finish my collection, I would be tempted to do it. I don’t mind the random buying at the beginning and like I said before, I haven’t done it, but I seriously would consider scaling for the last grail to keep me engaged. Otherwise I would probably never buy any more and that’s not what Funko wants. They need us to :mir1: :mir1: :mir1: so they can make more for us to :mir1: :mir1: :mir1:
HUGE Cartoon fan who has been collecting Funko since 2015. Collect everything Hanna-Barbara including Pops, Pez and Sodas. Also collect Disney, 80’s cartoons and Ad Icons!

Instagram & Twitter: @Rothkolion

Funko Wishlist: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... w=wishlist

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 am

Rothkolion wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

I agree I like the hunt but if I only need one or two to finish my collection, I would be tempted to do it. I don’t mind the random buying at the beginning and like I said before, I haven’t done it, but I seriously would consider scaling for the last grail to keep me engaged. Otherwise I would probably never buy any more and that’s not what Funko wants. They need us to :mir1: :mir1: :mir1: so they can make more for us to :mir1: :mir1: :mir1:

It's alot of give and take, I think people spend too much on one set and then that turns them off from the next, maybe one day we will have a good balance of rarity and accessibility

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:08 pm

I don’t know how I feel about weighing, seems like cheating to me. But at the same time, it sucks getting doubles you can barely give away.
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Current collection: 1549 pieces as of 9/7/20
ISO Protos: Paka Paka Dragon, Michael Myers, Forrest Gump, Quint (Jaws), Toph (Avatar), Cartman (South Park), Jim Henson (w/Kermit), Ron Swanson

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Trendkill24hr wrote:I don’t know how I feel about weighing, seems like cheating to me. But at the same time, it sucks getting doubles you can barely give away.

With more and more 1/6s I think funko is doing it to themselves

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Dsho333 wrote:

I don't get a ton of dupes. And when I do, it's part of the gamble. If I'm going for complete sets, I usually pick them off of eBay one by one or in lots. It's more economical to me that way. Plus, I would feel weird busting out a scale at the store...lol

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:15 pm

jagpop wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

I don't get a ton of dupes. And when I do, it's part of the gamble. If I'm going for complete sets, I usually pick them off of eBay one by one or in lots. It's more economical to me that way. Plus, I would feel weird busting out a scale at the store...lol

Yeah I get what ya mean, might have to resort to eBay or groups to get those elusive ones

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
jagpop wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

Yeah I get what ya mean, might have to resort to eBay or groups to get those elusive ones

I'm not in a lot of groups, but on IG I did manage to make a trade. Doesn't happen often but it's possible.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm

jagpop wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:
jagpop wrote:

I'm not in a lot of groups, but on IG I did manage to make a trade. Doesn't happen often but it's possible.

Yeah I'm in 3 fb groups, local, mystery minis and a big one, so hopefully I'll be able to get all of them, I'm going after The Office minis

SithLord

Postby SithLord » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I have never done it. I have heard of it being done. I wouldnt even know where to look to check for a list of the weights. I dont see anything wrong with it. I use to be one of those parents squeezing and manipulating the lego blind bag, making all kinds of noise for my son, so we would get what he wanted and not end up with a duplicate. To my this just the same. I wish I knew more about weighing when my son tried to collect the avengers MM’s!!!

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm

SithLord wrote:I have never done it. I have heard of it being done. I wouldnt even know where to look to check for a list of the weights. I dont see anything wrong with it. I use to be one of those parents squeezing and manipulating the lego blind bag, making all kinds of noise for my son, so we would get what he wanted and not end up with a duplicate. To my this just the same. I wish I knew more about weighing when my son tried to collect the avengers MM’s!!!

Yeah I would weighing is about the same as feeling the bag, no guarantees but can make some eliminations. You can join some mystery minis groups on Facebook, and sometimes here on the boards people will post them.

extremecaseoffunko

Postby extremecaseoffunko » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm

I've started using a scale since 2015 when I kept getting doubles of horror and sci fi. Just seemed to make the most sense. Now I have a Bible of compiled weights from almost every set. Does me well.
ImageImageImageImage

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:14 pm

I definitely weigh. I usually buy 1 full case and try to get a feel for the layout from that and then I weigh in store if the store doesn't have a problem with it. I used to try to go on layout alone, but with all the consolidated and mixed cases in stores I one time ended up with 4 of the same mini from one case. If I only want a few from a case I tend to just post my wants and buy from other collectors. The dupes are seriously no joke, I must have sold 100+ dupes, and I think I have at least that many again.
Hi, I'm Merri!

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:28 am

extremecaseoffunko wrote:I've started using a scale since 2015 when I kept getting doubles of horror and sci fi. Just seemed to make the most sense. Now I have a Bible of compiled weights from almost every set. Does me well.

Yeah makes sense, what do you do with your unopened duplicates?

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:30 am

synergy56 wrote:I definitely weigh. I usually buy 1 full case and try to get a feel for the layout from that and then I weigh in store if the store doesn't have a problem with it. I used to try to go on layout alone, but with all the consolidated and mixed cases in stores I one time ended up with 4 of the same mini from one case. If I only want a few from a case I tend to just post my wants and buy from other collectors. The dupes are seriously no joke, I must have sold 100+ dupes, and I think I have at least that many again.

Yeah I'm afraid of having just so many dupes that I'll have to sell them for so cheap I'm taking a huge loss. Especially with 6 exclusives for The Office, there no way I can just open every box I come across.

methodsmadness

Postby methodsmadness » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:13 pm

what kind of scales does everyone use?
Keep the MOTU line coming (*cough* ZODAC *cough*)! :cherry:
I'm trying to collect all the "I'm a Fan Of" buttons...HELP!
[I need Iron Man, Black Panther, Bigfoot, Harry, Crusader, and Crusaderette]!!
Image Image Image Image

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:08 pm

methodsmadness wrote:what kind of scales does everyone use?

I use a 200g limit jewelry scale, they have tons on ebay/amazon

extremecaseoffunko

Postby extremecaseoffunko » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
extremecaseoffunko wrote:I've started using a scale since 2015 when I kept getting doubles of horror and sci fi. Just seemed to make the most sense. Now I have a Bible of compiled weights from almost every set. Does me well.

Yeah makes sense, what do you do with your unopened duplicates?

I've sold and traded my doubles in fb groups, sold older rarer figures on eBay, sold at conventions when we had them. I don't take back my doubles that's for sure.
ImageImageImageImage

extremecaseoffunko

Postby extremecaseoffunko » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:45 pm

methodsmadness wrote:what kind of scales does everyone use?

Make sure to get a scale that weighs .01 and not just .1
When I weigh my minis I create an actual weight spread for a figure. Ex...
Horror series 3
Barbara HT exclusive 53.01-53.25g
Tiffany HT exclusive 50.88-51.24
ImageImageImageImage

extremecaseoffunko

Postby extremecaseoffunko » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:47 pm

synergy56 wrote:I definitely weigh. I usually buy 1 full case and try to get a feel for the layout from that and then I weigh in store if the store doesn't have a problem with it. I used to try to go on layout alone, but with all the consolidated and mixed cases in stores I one time ended up with 4 of the same mini from one case. If I only want a few from a case I tend to just post my wants and buy from other collectors. The dupes are seriously no joke, I must have sold 100+ dupes, and I think I have at least that many again.

I have done and will continue to do the same. I love weighing a fresh case just to analyze and figure out the layout and grab the figures I need most.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Blind Bags”