What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
FunkoMartiniGirl

What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 am

My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

rexflexall

Re: What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Oh wow super interesting! I wanna know too!

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 am

rexflexall wrote:Oh wow super interesting! I wanna know too!

Same! It's really a strange thing. You'd think people would be posting about these recent acquisitions if Funko mass produced them again. But it seems.... shadier (?) than that.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am

It wouldn't surprise me that much anymore!

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Oh feel like one never knows with funko

Looking for Care Bear Protos

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 am

FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

Can you provide photos? That would help alot.

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 am

Geescube wrote:
FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

Can you provide photos? That would help alot.

Sure thing!

Here's a Sailor Moon one from eBay. As you can see the Special Edition is quite small and the production date on the bottom reads "TTC 201020"

And here's a Glitter Chibi Moon from eBay. The Special Edition is the correct size but the production date on the bottom reads "DRM 201105"

Besides these two, the only other ones currently out with these newer production dates are Tuxedo Mask, Sailor Jupiter, Sailor Venus, and the common Sailor Moon & Luna.

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 am

1. They look like fakes to me. The font used for "ANIMATION" is different than the previous releases.
2. There are listings of these from CHINA which almost always means fake are in the marketplace.

The biggest giveaway is to go search Ali Express. If old pops are showing up there at normal retail prices, they are fake.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566346161.html

Pop collecting has gotten to the point where you have to research every older pop that you want to buy really well.

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:04 am

fbingha wrote:1. They look like fakes to me. The font used for "ANIMATION" is different than the previous releases.
2. There are listings of these from CHINA which almost always means fake are in the marketplace.

The biggest giveaway is to go search Ali Express. If old pops are showing up there at normal retail prices, they are fake.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566346161.html

Pop collecting has gotten to the point where you have to research every older pop that you want to buy really well.

Thank you for your insight! I knew there is something off-putting about these. And eBay seems to be saturated with these fakes! And like 95% of them are coming out of California. ChaliceCollectibles.com has them up on their website as well. I thought Chalice was reputable?

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 am

Supposedly Funko is re-releasing older exclusive Star Wars (Commander Cody, General Grievous, etc.), so maybe they're re-releasing these as well? A few months ago they re-released some older Hot Topic exclusives as well (Bert Macklin, stealth Spider-Man, etc.). I've also seen some Walmart/Target releases pop back up.
Poppin'

netman97

Postby netman97 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am

they were up on animetasia (bundle sets) and some are still on chalice https://chalicecollectibles.com/search?q=sailor+moon and were on a few other sites as well
Wants-
Jam Master Jay , Tupac , Notorious Big
Public enemy - Chuck D , Flavor Flav,
Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula
Unmasked Jason Vorhees Pop
Image Image Image

daOCHO

Postby daOCHO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 pm

Seeing how older items of store exclusives popping up as restock, not surprised to see certain vaulted items popping back up in the market.

Twitter: @CCM8
Instagram: casey_aka_daocho

mactds

Postby mactds » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:54 pm

Missed the whole Sailor Moon wave previously, and now they have meaning to me, so I'm excited that Funko is doing this!
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:11 am

theraven00 wrote:Supposedly Funko is re-releasing older exclusive Star Wars (Commander Cody, General Grievous, etc.), so maybe they're re-releasing these as well? A few months ago they re-released some older Hot Topic exclusives as well (Bert Macklin, stealth Spider-Man, etc.). I've also seen some Walmart/Target releases pop back up.

Yes, Funko has been re-releasing older exclusives, but they've gone to their exclusive stores. Like some Attack on Titan pops that were restocked last week, were all up on Hot Topic's website. So since the Sailor Moon with Moonstick was a Hot Topic Exclusive several years ago, how come it's being restocked overseas and not on Hot Topic's website?

netman97 wrote:they were up on animetasia (bundle sets) and some are still on chalice https://chalicecollectibles.com/search?q=sailor+moon and were on a few other sites as well

Which are both California companies. The eBay stores that are selling these are all from California as well.

daOCHO wrote:Seeing how older items of store exclusives popping up as restock, not surprised to see certain vaulted items popping back up in the market.

But those restocks of store exclusives are coming out of their respected stores. The Attack on Titan Cleaning Levi Pop that was restocked last week is coming from Hot Topic's website, which is where he was exclusive too. Plus only certain Pops are being restocked.... Sailor Moon seems to be getting the entire LINE reprinted overseas. It doesn't make any sense. If they were doing certain vaulted Pops, why not just a few of the Sailor Moon ones? Why is the whole line being reprinted?

mactds wrote:Missed the whole Sailor Moon wave previously, and now they have meaning to me, so I'm excited that Funko is doing this!

I'm not so sure Funko is actually behind this reprint. Seeing as if that were the case, the stores/websites here in America would be restocking with these. These reprints are only coming in from Overseas. So if you're ok with having possible fakes in your collection, I say enjoy them!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am

Wonder what's really going on here??

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Hmmm. Never knew about this until now. Will have to see how this develops.

That small silver SE sticker on Sailor Moon #90 looks weird though, first time seeing a silver SE sticker that small.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Things are so tricky now with buying older releases with so many fakes around. Hope you and your friend figure things out without being scammed.
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:01 am

rexflexall wrote:Wonder what's really going on here??

Right?! The more you start thinking about the whole thing, the less sense it makes. I'm just trying to figure out why it seems they're reprinting the entire line and not just a certain few from the line. For instance: the few Attack on Titan Pops that was just restocked on HT's website, I doubt Funko is going to reprint the entire Attack on Titan line. So why is Sailor Moon getting this treatment?

renardchua wrote:Hmmm. Never knew about this until now. Will have to see how this develops.

That small silver SE sticker on Sailor Moon #90 looks weird though, first time seeing a silver SE sticker that small.

The Glitter Chibi Moon that's being reprinted has the normal sized SE sticker too. Why'd they put a tiny SE sticker on that Sailor Moon one? It's very strange and looks suspicious.

Imagery wrote:Things are so tricky now with buying older releases with so many fakes around. Hope you and your friend figure things out without being scammed.

Thank you! And I agree. Seems like fakes are being circulated so quickly these days. It's scary and I don't want people to buy the fakes for outrageous prices and think they're real.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 am

Half those stickers look off to me!

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:28 pm

I wouldn't risk it. I haven't seen any restock of this line for a long time at any retailers, so I'm sure these are knock-offs.
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

keyese

Postby keyese » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Someone in the WI Pop group posted a picture of a Sailor Moon Pop they ordered, and Luna (the cat) was in a smaller plastic bag inside the box. That screams fake to me.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:41 pm

A few things to note here:
-Funko could have renewed the license for the new movie (Eternal) coming out this month in Japan.
-it's perfectly common for a pop to restock overseas but not here. It's also common for something that was limited to a specific retailer (i.e. Hot Topic) be a "special edition" overseas with a different sticker. It just has to do with contract and licensing. We've seen this before with a license as big as Marvel (see: Thor from Infinity War)
-though AliExpress is a place where fakes are commonly available, it doesn't mean that everything there is fake. There are a lot of legitimate shops that sell there.

The underside of those boxes look fine to me. I would buy that Chibi Moon, and I have this whole collection.
San Diego funatic

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:17 am

A startling revelation!

So a friend of mine who lives in California, went down to Animetasia's shop and saw some of these reprints for sale. He asked the owner about them. The Owner replied that he's "secretly having the Sailor Moon line remade for the collectors" at "some factory overseas". Now, that is weird, right? He also said that he's distributing them to other vendors and shops, which are mostly California owned businesses. Even stranger.

So I've been trying to warn people about purchasing these new Sailor Moon reprints on Instagram. One person messaged me telling me she bought 2 specific pops from ChaliceCollectibles to compare them to her originals. I gotta say, there's quite the difference. I have gotten her permission to use these pictures:

Glitter Chibi Moon:

As you can see: The SE one is a much darker pink (and a darker yellow on the word POP!) box than the original, the outline of Chibi Moon on the side of the box isn't as precisely cut as the real one and it appears to be a thinner white outline around her head and hair.

Sailor Moon with Moon Stick:

As you can see: the one with the SE sticker has the word Funko added to the top of the box, the trademark logo has been added next to the word POP!, the white outline around Sailor Moon's hair appears to be thicker than the original's, really small Special Edition sticker compared to Chibi Moon's SE sticker, the stretched out warning sign at the bottom cuts off Moon's legs and Luna's body.

There's also the strange reprint of Super Sailor Moon being released by these specific stores/websites. The original BoxLunch exclusive has it written as Sailor Moon (Crisis Outfit). So there's another difference.

I just want to help the community. I want people to know that these could very well be fakes but we don't know if Funko has authorized these to be remade. I would think if these were real reprints, we'd be seeing them being restocked at our retailers, like Hot Topic would be getting a restock of Sailor Moon with Moon Stick and the 3 pack. But we're getting this entire line remade under unusual circumstances that seem illegal. Again, if Funko didn't authorize these. I don't know about any of you but I haven't seen an entire line, commons and all, be reprinted years after they first came out. Please steer clear of the websites/webstores selling these as well. I'm aware ChaliceCollectibles is selling them but I'm unsure if they know they are being remade suspiciously. Those of us who have been calling these reprints as fakes, seem to be correct in our assumptions.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 am

I think this is the rerun that they made for fans in europe. I would believe retailers got those pops from there that's why they are not selling it as retail. There is other rumor that other pops such as bleach mha fairy tail and AOT will have a rerun too since some shops in europe offer preorder even though it's already vaulted in funko app
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:11 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:I think this is the rerun that they made for fans in europe. I would believe retailers got those pops from there that's why they are not selling it as retail. There is other rumor that other pops such as bleach mha fairy tail and AOT will have a rerun too since some shops in europe offer preorder even though it's already vaulted in funko app

I've heard the same rumor and I would think they would get them first. But I've also done a lot of research as well and these reprints are not listed for sale on many (if any) international retail webstores. Funko Europe doesn't have them on their website. The bottom of these reprints show an Australian store called IkonCollectibles and they don't have any Sailor Moon pops listed. There's also a Japanese store listed below IkonCollectibles called Hot Toys Japan and they have no Sailor Moon Pops either. Popcultcha.com.au, who's very well known of getting Pops in before the USA or even just after the pops come out in America, doesn't have these pops either. It's all too suspicious when you really dig in to how and why these SM pops appeared in the American market without ever being in any international stores or listed on their websites first.

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:32 am

FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:I think this is the rerun that they made for fans in europe. I would believe retailers got those pops from there that's why they are not selling it as retail. There is other rumor that other pops such as bleach mha fairy tail and AOT will have a rerun too since some shops in europe offer preorder even though it's already vaulted in funko app

I've heard the same rumor and I would think they would get them first. But I've also done a lot of research as well and these reprints are not listed for sale on many (if any) international retail webstores. Funko Europe doesn't have them on their website. The bottom of these reprints show an Australian store called IkonCollectibles and they don't have any Sailor Moon pops listed. There's also a Japanese store listed below IkonCollectibles called Hot Toys Japan and they have no Sailor Moon Pops either. Popcultcha.com.au, who's very well known of getting Pops in before the USA or even just after the pops come out in America, doesn't have these pops either. It's all too suspicious when you really dig in to how and why these SM pops appeared in the American market without ever being in any international stores or listed on their websites first.

You did a very outstanding research. This is interesting I'm glad I didn't just jump and buy it.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:17 am

Likin' that sticker tho! LOL

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:

You did a very outstanding research. This is interesting I'm glad I didn't just jump and buy it.

Thank you! Now I just need Brian@Funko to see this and investigate if Animetasia is being fraudulent by having a person make these in their factory and bringing them over to America illegally. Cause I'm 99% sure Funko didn't authorize these to be remade under suspicious circumstances.

rexflexall wrote:Likin' that sticker tho! LOL

Which one? Lol. The tiny one?

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:27 am

So are they real or fakes? I'm confused 8-[

:freddy3: :freddy4: :freddy1:
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:46 am

FunkoMeansFun wrote:So are they real or fakes? I'm confused 8-[

:freddy3: :freddy4: :freddy1:

I am confused also!!
Image Image

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:32 pm

I dont know how to post individual phots from this person's album but someone on reddit did some digging as well.
These new 'reprints' are definitely looking at least sketchy (and likely fake). Really weird discoloration on the neck piece and lack of copyright. Smells like fake to me. Here is the album

https://imgur.com/a/49JUgMu
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

Toronto

Postby Toronto » Fri May 28, 2021 9:51 pm

This is disappointing news for collectors.
I'm glad that I am soon to be complete - but with the movie coming up, think it is time they make a new wave. Possibly GITD with their individual attacks!
ISO:Spidey/Pennywise/Mono Conans, Jubilee & Scott Pilgrim Protos [Scott Common/Dorbz]
Dream Pops:Toronto Raptors player Pops, Kimono jacket Daniel from Karate Kid 2.
Hopeful Next Funko Store Location?: The desperately needed Toronto, ON Canada #FunkoToronto
Recently Completed: Calendar Go Sailor Moon [Thanks RedRoo], Scott Pilgrim Proto - Ramona & Gideon, Mooby Protos - Both Yellow & White!

LujaKulu

Postby LujaKulu » Sat May 29, 2021 11:42 am

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if they make versions of all the sailors again performing attacks this time or translucent ones of them mid-transformation (“Make Up!”). That said, I would rather have new characters like Nehelenia, Helios, Emerald, Diamond, Wise Man, Galaxia, Eternal Sailor Moon (with wings and rod), the first Queen Serenity, the Amazon Trio, Naru and Umino, Luna and Artemis in their human forms, etc. I would love even to have the anime-only characters like Fiore and Ail / Alan, Ann, I always liked their designs.

If they were to do variants of the sailors, I’d rather it be of them in their most known regular clothes. Usagi, Mina, and Ami in their blue skirt school clothes, Lita in her brown skirt, Rei in her priestess outfit, Hotaru in her black dress, Mamoru in his green blazer, Chibiusa with Luna P, Michiru with her violin, etc. I’m sort of shocked there haven’t been any more pops for this line since Black Lady and the Neo-Queen Serenity, Small Lady, and King Endymion 3-pack.
Collecting Since: Spring 2012
First pop: Maleficent
Most recent pop: TLM VHS Cover Pop, Mama Odie w/ Juju, Ursula Cart
Pop Count: 280+
Next-to-Buy: Lady Tremaine, Hades on Throne, Conductor!Sebastian
Lines I Collect: Disney Animated Classics, Kingdom Hearts, Sailor Moon, Digimon
Dream Pops: ReBoot, Final Fantasy

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:43 am

It's nice having like-minded collectors who care about Funko to watch out for things like this. Family.... :smt057

:freddy3: :freddy1: :freddy4:
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:05 am

Waiting for new ones!

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:29 am

Like some action poses.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 am

Would love to see some transformation or action poses! Wish this line got as much love as other anime/manga series have (Dragon Ball, Naruto, My Hero Academia), especially for its popularity over the years and its legacy.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Return to “Pop!”