Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
ReisOBrien

Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 am

Hey gang! With our new line of ReAction figures about to hit stores in a big way, and with SDCC just around the corner, the buzz has been building to a fever pitch! But along with that buzz comes a lot of questions and speculation and even a sprinkle or two of misinformation, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to invite everyone to ask any questions they may have and I'll do my best to answer them. As the lead designer on the ReAction line, I'm your huckleberry. So rest assured that you're getting it from the horse's mouth.

I may not be able to answer some questions, especially if the answer is still top secret, or if it has to do with street dates (I'm always confused about when toys are supposed to hit stores), but I'll give it the ol' college try to answer the more delicate questions as well.

Let's keep this strictly about ReAction. If this proves useful, we can start a similar topic for Legacy, Mystery Minis, etc.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO!
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

Poe Ghostal

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby Poe Ghostal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 am

First off, thanks for doing this. And I do think a similar thread for Legacy would be great (especially since the GoT figures are already out).

As for ReAction - I'm curious on how the style was decided upon. Kenner's Star Wars figures became increasingly detailed with each movie - the Tatooine Luke Skywalker sculpt is much softer than, say, Nien Nunb from Return of the Jedi. And of course, other 3.75" were of vastly different levels of detail. How did you develop a specific style?
Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

homietrav
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby homietrav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:22 am

Is there any plans for play sets that will be produced as non-SDCC items? Something i could buy anywhere?
I know it a throwback line but is there any newer shows/movies that have sparked your interest in doing?
I think Game of Thrones figures done in 1980s style would be damn cool!

thanks Reis
Travis

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:51 am

With many of the lines pushed back to August and beyond, will we see any new reveals shown at Comic Con? Several announced properties haven't been seen yet (Star Trek, T2, Aliens, etc).

Will any new licenses be announced at Comic Con?

Thanks!

mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby mrcory5000 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:51 am

Marvel spilled the beans that Funko's booth prices for single Pop! figures will remain at $15, and the Mystery Mini box sets would run $84, or $7 per Mini, and Nickelodeon mentioned $50 for Hikari Michaelangelo. Would you be able to spill the remainder of said beans on the remaining items, like the Ninja Spongebob tin set, Legacy, 2-packs (Flintstones/Luke vs Wampa), 4-packs (Ghostbusters), etc.? I'm certain everyone is curious, including those working the booth. ;-)
WE ARE FUNKO!

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 am

No questions but I have to say the Firefly set is something Whedon-verse fans have been lacking for years. So thank you Funko crew for making them. I anticipate selling many to very happy Browncoats.
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

perfectgame34
HoF 2017 & Spirit
HoF 2017 & Spirit

Postby perfectgame34 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 am

No questions, just want to say HI REIS and I think it's awesome you're doing this!
IG & Twitter: @yokomccann

punksnotdead

Postby punksnotdead » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 pm

I noticed that some of the early proto pictures we saw had pretty generic scans but recent photos have shown us far more accurate faces. What is the process with getting these scans as close to the actor/actress as possible and did the change in likeness with these first lines have to do with any licensing issues that weren't in place yet?

What has been your favorite ReAction figure so far?

AND, are we getting a Faith in the Buffy line??

I absolutely love my Rocketeer, and can't wait to get Mal and Snake. Thank you so much for making this line and for taking the time to answer our questions.

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Seeing Nightmare before Christmas and the Rocketeer, is there any other Disney property getting the reaction treatment?

Big Trouble Little China?

Thanks!
2012 Rookie of the Year

The 998th LC

Postby The 998th LC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:35 pm

[youtube]kLDhMU5JvMk[/youtube]

Hey Reis thanks for taking the time to answer our fanatical questions about Funko!

Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite films of all time. Needless to say I have had the same wallet since age 13 that certifies I am what I claim to be. This is undoubtedly one of the most surreal and creepy scenes in cinematic history and I love you turned it into a PLAYSET =D>

Can we get the release numbers and price on this?
Hello, my name is Jon Snow.

ISO: 1/8 Officer Cartman Wobbler & 1/4 Tuxedo Cartman Wobbler

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Are there any more play sets planned in the near future? Whether that be a licensed play set like the Alien version or a more generic Playset for say, the Universal Monsters line.

Just curious as I know the molds for those suckers can be very expensive.

Any plans on releasing a bag of say, clear stands?
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:First off, thanks for doing this. And I do think a similar thread for Legacy would be great (especially since the GoT figures are already out).

As for ReAction - I'm curious on how the style was decided upon. Kenner's Star Wars figures became increasingly detailed with each movie - the Tatooine Luke Skywalker sculpt is much softer than, say, Nien Nunb from Return of the Jedi. And of course, other 3.75" were of vastly different levels of detail. How did you develop a specific style?

We did originally look towards the first run of Kenner Star Wars figures for inspiration, especially when we first got started, so that's why you'll see that our Terminator and Snake Plissken sort or mimic that "softness", but as we went on, things got a little more detailed, a little closer to ROTJ figures, which you'll see in the Universal Monsters and Horror lines. Basically, we think there's a sweet spot somewhere in there that we keep trying to hit. But Kenner remains our main inspiration as opposed to, say, Remco or Mego. But they have their charm, too.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

homietrav wrote:Is there any plans for play sets that will be produced as non-SDCC items? Something i could buy anywhere?
I know it a throwback line but is there any newer shows/movies that have sparked your interest in doing?
I think Game of Thrones figures done in 1980s style would be damn cool!

thanks Reis

We don't currently have any solid plans for further playsets, and whether or not the Alien set comes to retail will be up to Super 7 to announce. However, we're watching the response to Super 7's Alien set closely and if it looks like it has promise we may put some stuff into motion. I'm personally rooting for playsets. But we'll have to wait and see.

We have toyed with newer properties done in a vintage style, but haven't set anything in stone yet. I'm totally with you on Game of Thrones! Or Honey Boo Boo! (Just kidding)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:With many of the lines pushed back to August and beyond, will we see any new reveals shown at Comic Con? Several announced properties haven't been seen yet (Star Trek, T2, Aliens, etc).

Will any new licenses be announced at Comic Con?

Thanks!

Sorry, no new reveals at SDCC. Brian may want to announce some new stuff, but that's up to him, and will probably be done at Fundays, if at all.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:47 pm

mrcory5000 wrote:Marvel spilled the beans that Funko's booth prices for single Pop! figures will remain at $15, and the Mystery Mini box sets would run $84, or $7 per Mini, and Nickelodeon mentioned $50 for Hikari Michaelangelo. Would you be able to spill the remainder of said beans on the remaining items, like the Ninja Spongebob tin set, Legacy, 2-packs (Flintstones/Luke vs Wampa), 4-packs (Ghostbusters), etc.? I'm certain everyone is curious, including those working the booth. ;-)

That's a whole other discussion, and I'd rather keep this thread specifically about ReAction. Also, I'm completely out of the loop on pricing!

ImageImage

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:49 pm

If you could make ONE property into the Reaction line what would it be? Or, is that property already getting the Reaction treatment?
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

haydenstorm
Hall of Fame Class of 2021

Postby haydenstorm » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Hey Reis, thank you for doing this. Are there any plans on maybe some superheroes hitting the reaction line. I know license is always an issue, but right now Rocketeer is the closest we have.
John
Proud host of F.D.O. 6 ,and F.D.O. 7, F.D.O.8

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 pm

punksnotdead wrote:I noticed that some of the early proto pictures we saw had pretty generic scans but recent photos have shown us far more accurate faces. What is the process with getting these scans as close to the actor/actress as possible and did the change in likeness with these first lines have to do with any licensing issues that weren't in place yet?

What has been your favorite ReAction figure so far?

AND, are we getting a Faith in the Buffy line??

I absolutely love my Rocketeer, and can't wait to get Mal and Snake. Thank you so much for making this line and for taking the time to answer our questions.

First off, we don't scan any actors' faces. All are sculpted here at HQ. And the original generic faces were basically us trying to mimic the vintage style. Take a Kenner Han Solo and then look at a picture of Harrison Ford. They look nothing alike. But after Toy Fair, it became clear that today's modern sensibilities really leaned more towards on-model faces, so we redesigned most of the heads to push more towards that while still trying to maintain a vintage look. It was a bit tricky, but I think we finally got it. It had nothing to do with licensing. More about aesthetics.

I can't pick just one favorite. But I'm deeply in love with the Universal Monsters line.

Sorry, no Faith. (Yet.)

ImageImage

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Just throwing this out there, a Serenity play set would be the s***. :nudgenudge: lol
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:Seeing Nightmare before Christmas and the Rocketeer, is there any other Disney property getting the reaction treatment?

Big Trouble Little China?

Thanks!

There is some more Disney stuff in the works, but I can't talk about it yet.

And I can't comment (wink wink) on your second question.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:40 pm

The 998th LC wrote:14121

[youtube]kLDhMU5JvMk[/youtube]

Hey Reis thanks for taking the time to answer our fanatical questions about Funko!

Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite films of all time. Needless to say I have had the same wallet since age 13 that certifies I am what I claim to be. This is undoubtedly one of the most surreal and creepy scenes in cinematic history and I love you turned it into a PLAYSET =D>

Can we get the release numbers and price on this?

Haha! I don't see any Se7en figures coming out any time soon!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:Are there any more play sets planned in the near future? Whether that be a licensed play set like the Alien version or a more generic Playset for say, the Universal Monsters line.

Just curious as I know the molds for those suckers can be very expensive.

Any plans on releasing a bag of say, clear stands?

No plans for playsets, but that could change if the ReAction line ends up selling like gangbusters.

We have talked about making stands! I'm still trying to make that happen. Stay tuned!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:If you could make ONE property into the Reaction line what would it be? Or, is that property already getting the Reaction treatment?

Conan the Barbarian! (1982 movie version)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:03 pm

haydenstorm wrote:Hey Reis, thank you for doing this. Are there any plans on maybe some superheroes hitting the reaction line. I know license is always an issue, but right now Rocketeer is the closest we have.

No Superheroes. Mattel and Hasbro have those licenses locked up for action figures.

ImageImage

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
haydenstorm wrote:Hey Reis, thank you for doing this. Are there any plans on maybe some superheroes hitting the reaction line. I know license is always an issue, but right now Rocketeer is the closest we have.

No Superheroes. Mattel and Hasbro have those licenses locked up for action figures.

I think something like The Incredibles would be awesome [-o<
2012 Rookie of the Year

haydenstorm

Postby haydenstorm » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:13 pm

I'd even settle for some old pulp superheroes
John
Proud host of F.D.O. 6 ,and F.D.O. 7, F.D.O.8

unoudid
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby unoudid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks for doing this Reis!!!!

Can I have the protos? ;-)

Spoiler: show

On a serious note. Has there been any talk of video game lines being added to the mix?

I'd love to see some retro styled Halo or Mass Effect ReAction figures.
-Ross

Looking for Destiny & Pixar Protos

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:20 pm

unoudid wrote:Thanks for doing this Reis!!!!

Can I have the protos? ;-)

Spoiler: show

On a serious note. Has there been any talk of video game lines being added to the mix?

I'd love to see some retro styled Halo or Mass Effect ReAction figures.

Sorry. No talk of video game stuff yet.

ImageImage

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Hey, Reis! Great to have you on board!!!!

My question is about the packaging. Why are the cards the size that they are? It's a challenge to get sufficient wall space to display. Any knowledge on the evolution of the packaging would be appreciated.

Thanks.... Craig

Craig here......

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Guessing cause that is the same size as the original Kenner SW cards were.
Hang them up using clear push pins Craig.

Also, Reservoir Dogs would be cool.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Alleycat wrote:Hey, Reis! Great to have you on board!!!!

My question is about the packaging. Why are the cards the size that they are? It's a challenge to get sufficient wall space to display. Any knowledge on the evolution of the packaging would be appreciated.

Thanks.... Craig

Our packaging is the same size as the original Kenner packaging from the late '70s and early '80s. As to how it evolved to those measurements, I have no idea for sure. But I think the format was established by Mego in the '70s when their 8" figures went from being boxed to the thinner "Kresge" card, to the larger "side panel" card that we know today.

Also, keep in mind that packaging was originally intended to be ripped open and thrown away. It's just there to 1) protect the product and 2) catch the buyer's attention. So back in the '70s, toy companies hadn't even considered that people may want to keep them packaged.

But today, since the ReAction line is a sort of homage to classic toys, part of that homage is the size and format of the packaging, which we feel helps the feeling of "vintage-ness".

ImageImage

TCM Hitchhiker

Postby TCM Hitchhiker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Obviously you can't give a solid answer, but can you say what the chances are, or even possible for you to do Planet of the Apes? By far my number one want. Would be beyond perfect for this style, and 3.75 Apes figures have never been done. Seems like a no brainer.

Why hasn't Ghostface from Scream been shown with the rest of the modern horror line as of late? Has he been pushed back to a series 2 or something?

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

TCM Hitchhiker wrote:Obviously you can't give a solid answer, but can you say what the chances are, or even possible for you to do Planet of the Apes? By far my number one want. Would be beyond perfect for this style, and 3.75 Apes figures have never been done. Seems like a no brainer.

Yes, yes, yes!

One of my top wants as well.

JadBean

Postby JadBean » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi Reis, thanks for answering our questions!

I know you can't tell us about any new figures or licenses, so I'll ask a different question. Could you share with us a detailed breakdown of the production process for one ReAction figure? I'd love to learn how the design-to-production process compares to our beloved Kenner Star Wars figures.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am

TCM Hitchhiker wrote:Obviously you can't give a solid answer, but can you say what the chances are, or even possible for you to do Planet of the Apes? By far my number one want. Would be beyond perfect for this style, and 3.75 Apes figures have never been done. Seems like a no brainer.

Why hasn't Ghostface from Scream been shown with the rest of the modern horror line as of late? Has he been pushed back to a series 2 or something?

Planet of the Apes is definitely on the list of possibilities. But nothing has been put into motion yet. I agree, POTA would be perfect!

Not sure why Ghostface hasn't been shown. I thought he had! Heck, I've got one on my desk right now, so he's definitely happening in series one!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 am

JadBean wrote:Hi Reis, thanks for answering our questions!

I know you can't tell us about any new figures or licenses, so I'll ask a different question. Could you share with us a detailed breakdown of the production process for one ReAction figure? I'd love to learn how the design-to-production process compares to our beloved Kenner Star Wars figures.

The design process is pretty much the same as anything we do. I (or one of our other artists) sketch out "turns" of the figure, establishing the look and feel of the figure and choosing the level of detail, points of articulation, etc. Then one of our sculptors takes it and digitally creates a 3D version. After that, and once the sculpt is approved by the licensor, we have the digital sculpt sent to output. We send the output (the actual solid figure) to our factory as well as our color callouts. Then I start to design the packaging. Once the paints and packaging are approved (thanks to our production team working with licensors) we go to production and eventually they arrive in our warehouse.

It can be a pretty long and involved process jam-packed with a hundred little details that you have to keep your eye on all through the process, and we've gone through this process with over 60 figures in the past year!

ImageImage

JadBean

Postby JadBean » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 am

Cool, so there aren't actually any physical sculpts of the new ReAction figures. How times have changed! I love learning about the production process.

Care to share any pictures/screencaps of a 3D model?

Could you show us any prototype packaging mockups that were changed before the final release?

Again, thanks Reis!

ColumbiaShimmer

Postby ColumbiaShimmer » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Besides online stores, what nationwide retail stores are these figures sold at? I didn't see th Rocketeer (which is one of the ones out now) at Hot Topic or Barnes and Nobles. I know someone found The Rocketeer at a comic shop, but I don't go to those often!
Shivering in antici...pation for the Rocky Horror Pops! and ReAction figures.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:06 pm

JadBean wrote:Cool, so there aren't actually any physical sculpts of the new ReAction figures. How times have changed! I love learning about the production process.

Care to share any pictures/screencaps of a 3D model?

Could you show us any prototype packaging mockups that were changed before the final release?

Again, thanks Reis!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show pre-production stuff. I probably am, but I'd better check to make sure. Stay tuned for that.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:07 pm

ColumbiaShimmer wrote:Besides online stores, what nationwide retail stores are these figures sold at? I didn't see th Rocketeer (which is one of the ones out now) at Hot Topic or Barnes and Nobles. I know someone found The Rocketeer at a comic shop, but I don't go to those often!

Not sure about Hot Topic, but I do know that B&N is on board. Also, it's healthy for your brain and soul to visit comic shops. Trust me. Scientific fact.

ImageImage

Return to “Action Figures”