Why Wacky Wobblers?

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Why Wacky Wobblers?

Postby Scotty » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:27 pm

Since there aren't many new topics in this once very busy portion of the board, I thought I'd get one going.

Pretty much everything that can be said about Wobblers has been said - and this forum is replete with the Wacky Wobblers' rich history. What is new, though, is an ever-growing albeit small group of Funatics that are discovering and collecting these awesome pieces.

So, the question is: Why Wacky Wobblers?

This is for new and old collectors alike. But it would be very interesting to hear why newer collectors of other lines came to collect Wobblers. Even if you're an old (or should I say mature) collector, and when you started collecting there wasn't any choice but Wobblers, why did you choose to spend your hard earned money on collecting them.

When I started collecting in 2012, there was a large and active Wobbler community on the board. PoP! were also huge and the number of PoP! collectors was quickly eclipsing the Wobbler collectors. But for me, Wobblers are what brought me to Funko. I was starting to revert back to my second childhood and searching for nostalgic collectibles that reminded me of the things I loved growing up. That's when I found Funko. It started with Hanna-Barbera, but spread to so much more. I loved Wobblers the most because they depicted the fandoms of my youth most realistically, as if the character just walked out of my TV and onto my shelf. My collection kept growing and growing because every Wobbler I got brought a big smile to my face. That's not to say I didn't collect just about every line Funko made, just in smaller numbers. But Wacky Wobblers is where my spring-loaded heart is at.

Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

levixkelly

Re: Why Wacky Wobblers?

Postby levixkelly » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:45 pm

I’ve always collected and liked bobble heads so I’ve leaned a lot more into Wacky Wobblers over the years. I love the designs and characters and like you said there’s so much history behind them. I’ll have to admit though, what got me into Funko were Pops. I think over time as I fazed out of collecting Pops I’ve fallen more in love with Wacky Wobblers.
Hi, I'm Levi
Instagram:
@levikelly90
Twitter: @levikelly90

Image Image

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:56 pm

Scotty,
I actually started collecting because of my oldest son. He started collecting lots of Star Wars at the age of 6. He transitioned into pops about 8 years ago. Not long after myself and other family members started to get the itch and collect. Before we knew it the entire family was hunting together. Fast forward to FDO8 and I ended up winning a Sprite boy wacky wobbler from Swobafett. That started the road I went down with Wacky Wobblers. The detail alone is outstanding and the fact that they wobble is amazingily satisfying. I never looked back after that. Since FDO8 I probably have around 500 wacky wobblers. I also collect pops, soda, pez and numerous other things. I have become much more selective over the years due to $ and space. Funko has brought great joy to myself and my family. I have made lots of friends and hopefully many more to come. My only wish is to have more time to spend with fellow funatics and to hunt for more wacky wobblers.

FunkoBurro3

Postby FunkoBurro3 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:01 am

My interest in wobblers began when I started collecting funko pops, but they were so hard to get by that time. During the pandemic though I met great people (through The United funko family) who helped me obtain great pieces!
Why though?
They are great and fun! A great piece of history to have. The ones that mostly attracted me were the Freddy funko wobblers. I loved the different variations they made of him (especially big Fred and darth freddy or freddy maul). I have other ones outside of the box and it just brings joy. There is never a time I don’t pass by my wobblers and tap their heads to see it move.

With that being said, I need more lol
Abel H 3 :freddy2:
The United Funko Family

-Funkowood (Funko Hollywood) Grand Opening
-Funko Virtual-Con 2020
-Funkon 2021
-SDCC-Special Edition 2021- Pop! Quiz - Auditions (Rejected)
-Funko Fundays 2022
-FDO9- San Diego 2023
-Camp Fundays 2023 (Sandwich survivor!)

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:29 pm

Levi, that's pretty cool you moved from PoP to Wobblers.

Tim, now that covid is winding down, i really do need to reach out and finally come see your toy room. It's on my "must do list."

Abel, I do the same thing when I'm walking by the wobblers near my desk in my den - I tap a bunch of there heads, then sit down and enjoy them all nodding at me.
Image Image

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:35 pm

Scotty,

My appreciation for wobblers grew after attending the Making Fun premier. I grew to love the history behind wobblers and honestly even the scarcity. It was fun tracking them down over the last 4 years and always get excited when you occasionally come across some in the wild.

It certainly helped chatting with you and other Funatics in the past, helping expand my knowledge of the obscure and limited pieces that exist. Last year I had to let go of a few of my favorites to help fund my wedding but I do plan to one day get them back. Half of the fun is the hunt, so I look forward to what I may find from here on out :)
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

FFJim
HoF 2007 & CotY
HoF 2007 & CotY

Postby FFJim » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that spring! Hi, Scott! I always will prefer Wobblers over Pops because Wobblers look truer to their subject matter. There are hundreds of Pops that, taken out of the box, would not be identifiable by me, but I don't have to guess who a Wobbler represents. Sorry, Poppers, but I'm a diehard Wobbler, old and stuck in more nostalgic times... but I do have a nice collection of Pop Ad Icons!

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:53 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:Scotty,

My appreciation for wobblers grew after attending the Making Fun premier. I grew to love the history behind wobblers and honestly even the scarcity. It was fun tracking them down over the last 4 years and always get excited when you occasionally come across some in the wild.

It certainly helped chatting with you and other Funatics in the past, helping expand my knowledge of the obscure and limited pieces that exist. Last year I had to let go of a few of my favorites to help fund my wedding but I do plan to one day get them back. Half of the fun is the hunt, so I look forward to what I may find from here on out :)

Well first, congrats on the nuptials. I've been really into the history of the pieces, too; it really adds to the collecting experience when a piece has a unique history or a limited production. I agree with you about "the hunt." It can be quite addicting.
Image Image

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:55 pm

FFJim wrote:It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that spring! Hi, Scott! I always will prefer Wobblers over Pops because Wobblers look truer to their subject matter. There are hundreds of Pops that, taken out of the box, would not be identifiable by me, but I don't have to guess who a Wobbler represents. Sorry, Poppers, but I'm a diehard Wobbler, old and stuck in more nostalgic times... but I do have a nice collection of Pop Ad Icons!

JIM!!!! So good to hear from you. As you can see from the pic I posted at the top, your guys are safe and in good company. I hope all is well.
Image Image

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:45 pm

I actually started collecting pops first but found wobblers shortly after seeing them in a store here. I then moved on too Spastiks. I still love wobblers but I always enjoyed seeing your posts as well as others who posted in the Wobbler section.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Scotty wrote:Levi, that's pretty cool you moved from PoP to Wobblers.

Tim, now that covid is winding down, i really do need to reach out and finally come see your toy room. It's on my "must do list."

Abel, I do the same thing when I'm walking by the wobblers near my desk in my den - I tap a bunch of there heads, then sit down and enjoy them all nodding at me.

Scotty,
We definitely have to get you and your wife over to check out our toy room. We had to start boxing some things up because we ran out of room and it was becoming hectic trying to find a spot for everything. You will see what I am talking about when you come over. Probably mid July or after Jen surgery in August. My oldest currently has every weekend booked with football camps in June and part July. In fact just got back from a camp all day today at Gettysburg University. Will be in touch!

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Just saw this post!

I started with pop like many others and as I explored the board more I wanted to expand outside of pop. Back when we had the gallery here, it was so much easier To see peoples collections.
Kevin, Craig, Carol and Rev were big inspirations for me as well to look at so many wobblers. I feel like pop has now been around enough to have a history but wobblers have such a fun history that is older.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Joker3346

Postby Joker3346 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:04 pm

During the time bobbleheads had more love I feel like

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:46 pm

Hey Scott, hope you have been well my friend, I got my first wobbler when I was 10 and am now 25! When I got the first one I would of never known it would turn into so many and how die hard I would be! Each of the wobblers are so unique and that is why I love them so much! Also something about them is just so nostalgic to me! When I first started collecting them learning the history behind them through some of the older Funko collectors was really awesome and I learned so much! Wobblers have been my main priority the past few years something about the thrill of tracking them down is so fun to me!! I have met so many awesome friends through collecting them too!! \:D/ \:D/
-Wobble On!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby cliffd64 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:03 am

For me, what grabbed my eye initially was the sense of nostalgia seeing characters and ad icons from childhood in wobbler form... I suppose that is how it starts with any collectible really. I still remember the first time I saw Wacky Wobblers in public... it was at local fairgrounds at a vendor table. Back in those days there weren't any big box stores or online websites carrying Funko products... it was mainly little specialty places. You really had to hunt to find them back then...
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:41 pm

I like them for the history that came with them, here in Mexico the bobble heads are not a big thing, but in the Funko world they are and thats what i appriciate. :freddy2:
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:56 pm

When i was in a younster back in 2001 i use to read metal magazine and i watch el diablo wacky wobbler in the magazine, in that time i did not know were to buy it but i falling in love with the character.

Just when i start my pop collection in 2011, and after search the history of funko,,,, there he was el diablo !!

Finally i found it!! Gemini collectibles was the site that gives me that Joy!!
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:34 pm

I love the wacky wobblers and anything OG vintage Funko product. I love pops too but Wobblers are just better IMO. I’m a nee type of collector, got into the collecting game pretty late I guess. Started collecting in 2019-2020 and I just really like the pops. I love the Freddy Funko Wobblers the most though. It’s just something about the vintage look of Freddy that has a hold on me.
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”