REPOST: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - The Wacky Wobbler

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

REPOST: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - The Wacky Wobbler

Postby Scotty » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:46 am

Hi all. Well, the board is still a bit wonky so thought I'd pull out one of my posts from the wayback machine for a little fun. I wrote this in my first year of collecting over 9 years ago. My how time flies. Hopefully the pictures will populate. Oh, and for those too young to know what Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was, well, it was a weekly wildlife show sponsored by Mutual of Omaha Insurance. It was great TV back in the 1960's and 70's [edit: I just looked it up and it apparently ran a lot longer than I realized, until 1988; and then popped up again a couple of times later.]

original post on Fri Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. Today we have a special episode in store for you:

In Search of the Wacky Wobbler

In the deepest, darkest parts of Funkoland, reside creatures of stoic beauty. They are the original inhabitants of this wide and varied land and exist in great numbers; yet, it is possible to drive across the plains and not see these creatures unless you’re looking for them.

With so many new Funatics, and most of you so agog over PoPs, I thought I’d shine a little light on another Funko line for fun—the Wacky Wobbler. Yup, it’s Friday night and this is what I’m doing.

This is not a post about one being better than the other; it’s just to inform and have some fun. The bulk of my collection is Wobblers, but I also collect PoP, Spastik Plastik, Fantastik Plastik, Funko Force, Bobble Breeze, Peek-a-boo Pop Ups, Nodniks, vinyl figures and cars, vinyl and wobbler banks, computer sitters, hand puppets, bookmarks, wall clocks, and mini blind boxes. Did you even know there was this many kinds of Funko—and there’s even a few more.

My collection of Wobblers is by no means as grand as many of the old time collectors—heck, I don’t even have my first star yet, but I do have over 500 Wobblers. So, I thought I’d just share a sampling of the spring-necked guys to entertain you—and perhaps sow the seeds for future Wobbler collectors.

And here we go…

My favorite Wobblers are the ones that remind me of happy times as a youngster. For me this meant first and foremost cartoons…

Hanna-Barbera:

Looney Tunes:

Peanuts:

Another huge part of my youth were the ad icons of the day. In a way, they were mini cartoons as the commercials always entertained.

Image Image

Funko also did a great job of creating original characters that somehow seemed very familiar…

Freddy, himself, fits into this category…and for many, Freddy Wobblers are the coolest thing in Funkoland.

And then there’s the TV shows and movies we like to watch and the games we play.

I’m a bit old school, but there’s a ton more; e.g., Star Wars, Avengers, Iron Man, etc.

And there’s music, pop culture, and stuff that just looks so cool you are just compelled to buy them.

Less Than Jake Bone Daddys

Rat Finks

So, this was just a VERY small sample of the Wacky Wobblers that so many Funatics have come to love and treasure. If you’d like to see a whole lot more…

There’s John’s Funko Spreadsheet: http://www.funkospreadsheet.com/wobblers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you can check out just about every kind of Funko here).

You can also see just about every Wobbler ever made in FunkoFanJim’s museum: http://www.funkofunatic.com/forums/view ... 10&t=39116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, thanks for watching. Perhaps next month, Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom will visit the dangerous jungles of Funkoland where we’ll find Monkey Assassins and Spastik Plastik.
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: REPOST: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - The Wacky Wobbler

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks for sharing, Scotty! Now I want to go out and search for some old Freddy Wobblers lol

The Zombie Lounge set is one of my faovrites and was my first Wobbler set that I personally completed.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:26 am

Really enjoyed reading this post, and the old school history of when you started collecting and the lines you also started with. Also like the back story of Mutual of Omaha wild kingdom. You have an amazing collection of wobbler’s, thanks for the share. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing love seeing these old collections and hearing the stories behing them.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your collection and their stories, they are awesome
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:36 pm

Love it Scotty! Always great to read the stories and see others collections.

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:23 pm

I miss that time, during my first couple years of collecting. I had no idea what a shop-a-holic I could be. I loved coming home to piles of packages. It was like Christmas all the time. I was definitely all about the hunt and completing sets. Luckily I eventually shook that obsession, and I love looking at my collection now...but, I do miss the hunt.

I hope everyone is doing well and maintaining their sanity. It's a tumultuous time. Everyone remember to breath.
Image Image

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:04 pm

Very cool collection. I was a bobble head collector for a while and sometimes I wish I would have gone harder on the Wacky Wobblers. Collections like yours always make me jealous :)
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:12 pm

Love your writing style, Scotty - very engaging and lively!

It’s been a while since I wrote something like that - maybe since I graduated the university, I haven’t wrote anything formal. Maybe I can brush up and do some feature writing about Funko. I hope I find some time to so do! :)
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:41 pm

renardchua wrote:Love your writing style, Scotty - very engaging and lively!

It’s been a while since I wrote something like that - maybe since I graduated the university, I haven’t wrote anything formal. Maybe I can brush up and do some feature writing about Funko. I hope I find some time to so do! :)

Thanks Renard. I used to write quite a few lengthy posts back in the day.
Image Image

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 am

Scotty wrote:I miss that time, during my first couple years of collecting. I had no idea what a shop-a-holic I could be. I loved coming home to piles of packages. It was like Christmas all the time. I was definitely all about the hunt and completing sets. Luckily I eventually shook that obsession, and I love looking at my collection now...but, I do miss the hunt.

I hope everyone is doing well and maintaining their sanity. It's a tumultuous time. Everyone remember to breath.

I miss those days my friend and I’m
Happy to still see you around. Memories I will never forget, we all use to compete against each other for certain pieces but still help each other out all the time. Hope your doing good Scott!
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Reverend wrote:
Scotty wrote:I miss that time, during my first couple years of collecting. I had no idea what a shop-a-holic I could be. I loved coming home to piles of packages. It was like Christmas all the time. I was definitely all about the hunt and completing sets. Luckily I eventually shook that obsession, and I love looking at my collection now...but, I do miss the hunt.

I miss those days my friend and I’m
Happy to still see you around. Memories I will never forget, we all use to compete against each other for certain pieces but still help each other out all the time. Hope your doing good Scott!

Thanks Jacob. Doing great. Hope you are too. Hope to see everyone one day when I'm more comfortable with the crowds. Almost went to NYCC this year, but not ready yet. Oh well.
Image Image

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm

Scotty those are some great looking Wobblers and bring back such great memories of the beginning. Look how far Funko has come. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”