Funko History: GITD Huckleberry Hound

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Funko History: GITD Huckleberry Hound

Postby Scotty » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:15 pm

[UPDATE 6/21/2023: Just wanted to acknowledge that this is not a new topic. Totally forgot that kroffty already started something like this quite a while ago in the Funko News section. Just stumbled on those, again. I knew this felt familiar :D Check out his posts for some very cool history. My intent for this current rendition is short histories on specific pieces. And go.]

Hey all. I was perusing the board a bit today. Not a lot going on here. So, thought I'd add a little content for your reading pleasure (that may have set the bar a bit too high). Like many collectors, I'm really into the history of Funko. So, I thought I'd start a series called: "Funko History". I encourage anyone with a cool backstory on a piece to contribute. Just start a new thread and title it "Funko History: XXXXX" ; and then fill in the X's with whatever you want to share. I suppose to be orderly, we should post the thread in the section to which it would apply, e.g., Wobbler history here, Spastik history in the Vinyl section, etc.

DISCLAIMER: Funko history can be elusive. Just because you read it somewhere, doesn't make it true. Even Funatics who have experienced something first hand can get it wrong. Heck, even Funko employees can get it wrong. What I post certainly isn't any better than anyone else. I have done a lot of research over the years and talked to a lot of people. I record a lot of what I find so I can share it with others later. So, feel free to add to any History post with alternate truths and opinions. It's all just our best guess.

Now, down to business. Anastasis asked me a question about the GITD Huck recently, so I refreshed my memory and gave him the background on the piece. I thought it might interest others.

In 2007, Brian Mariotti's first Hanna-Barbera collectors' book hit the streets.

50 of the books were sold by Cameron Collectibles, a major Funko retailer back then. The original plan (according to Cameron Collectibles in Dec 2006) was for 10 of the books to contain a special ticket redeemable for an LE 10 GITD Huckleberry Hound. By the time the book was ready to be released on their site in April 2007, the plan changed slightly. Five Funatics who bought the book from Cameron Collectibles would be chosen at random to receive the Huck. Brian decided to hold back the other Hucks to give away at Fun Days 5.

Nothing like a little blue glow Huckleberry!! Well, except for his 20 inch big brother lol

Anastasis wanted to know how well it glowed so I put this pic together for him. I only held it under the light for a couple of minutes and I just shot it with my cell phone (no black light obviously). The first glow pic is a few seconds after turning off the light. The second one is about 10 seconds later.

Wobble on.
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

mongoose12

Re: Funko History: GITD Huckleberry Hound

Postby mongoose12 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:20 pm

Love that you did this, thanks. I know many others will enjoy the read.

Ironfish242

Postby Ironfish242 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:44 pm

Great read! Thank you for sharing!

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:09 am

We need more long form of Funko History from you Scotty! Love the history behind these figures (it’s pretty obvious as well that I am into these kinds of stories as well).

Thanks for doing this, and can’t wait for the next write-up of the series. :D

P.S. Let me also think of ideas so as to share stories in this series as well. :)
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

lazcommalisa
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby lazcommalisa » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:13 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love reading about any and all aspect of Funko history. I had zero clue about this so definitely learned something new today. Looking forward to reading more awesome threads

Steelo99

Postby Steelo99 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:16 pm

Thanks for sharing. So cool and interesting read.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Amazing to these stories of pieces pre pop. Thanks Scotty and congrats on a great piece.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:32 am

That is awesome Scotty!!!!! Thank you!
Wow makes me appreciate the new book and how it had the Huckleberry POP with it too! Like how it's continuing the trend!!!
It was a fun read and oooo I want to do more threads like this!
I have done the "The Golden Coin!?!?!?!?" thread in 'Other Funko Products' but hmmmm time to look around the room and see what other neat oddities I can discuss!!!!
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

cptsailor

Postby cptsailor » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:44 am

Thank you for documenting to the best of your knowledge. A lot of these low LE pieces are difficult to figure out for newer collectors.. especially 2000s Funko.

Cheers!
Hi, I'm Dillon!

IG: cptsailor

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:27 pm

FireEmblemZack wrote:That is awesome Scotty!!!!! Thank you!
Wow makes me appreciate the new book and how it had the Huckleberry POP with it too! Like how it's continuing the trend!!!
It was a fun read and oooo I want to do more threads like this!
I have done the "The Golden Coin!?!?!?!?" thread in 'Other Funko Products' but hmmmm time to look around the room and see what other neat oddities I can discuss!!!!

Definitely share any unique pieces and their stories.
Image Image

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:38 pm

Thanks for posting and sharing the story, I really love learning more about Funko history and Huckleberry Hound is one of my favorites.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:25 pm

Thank you for sharing and providing the history on it. That is a beautiful piece; I love the glow!
Image Image

"We come to this place for magic. We come to funkofunatic.com to laugh, to cry, to care. Because we need that, all of us."

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Scotty. Been a little bit since I’ve been on here so it’s good to see something like this. Didn’t know this history!

I’ll try to come up with an idea or two sometime.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:56 pm

I really love this idea Scotty. Very cool share with the ultra rare Huck! I will need to put something together to share. Let me think.....

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:10 pm

TJLAUTERBACH wrote:I really love this idea Scotty. Very cool share with the ultra rare Huck! I will need to put something together to share. Let me think.....

I added a disclaimer to the beginning of this post, just want to make sure everyone knows that this isn't an original idea. I sort of thought it was when I posted, but totally forgot that kroffty already did something like this quite a while ago. His posts are bigger than what I had in mind; they're in the Funko News section and we've all seen them. And if anyone hasn't seen them, they're a must read--because they're awesome.
Image Image

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:34 pm

I had no idea there was an earlier HB book by Brian!
Hi! I’m Eric

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:22 pm

Awesome post Scott! Love this history lesson on the regular sized blue glow Huck, which is also a piece I have in my collection! Wobble on my friend!! :blob2:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

TragicShaun

Postby TragicShaun » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:18 am

I'm so glad you made this post, especially regarding the gitd Hucks! I'm a huge Huck fan, but started late in the game, so tracking down reliable info has been near impossible! I'm kinda on a quest, not necessarily have every Huck piece, but to at least have a collection that is difficult to replicate.
I have so many questions, like:
*How many of blue/red Huckleberry Wacky Wobbler cars were made?
*What is the actual chase count for the metallic Funko Force Huckleberry?
*Is it true that many of the Huckleberry Funko Pop Sodas were broken during transport, and the LE 400 count is inaccurate?
*Why am I seeing so many LE24 Dorbz missing their stickers?

I'd love to more history about the Huckleberry Hound pieces and any personal stories/experiences! I'd also like to know where these rare pieces ended up, including prototype pieces!!!

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:04 pm

Shaun, you obviously have impeccable taste lol

I can answer a couple of your questions.

*How many of blue/red Huckleberry Wacky Wobbler cars were made?
The Huck cars were Cameron Collectibles exclusives back in 2007 and are LE 75.

*What is the actual chase count for the metallic Funko Force Huckleberry?
"Actual" numbers are more like "Best Educated Guess." I have the chase piece listed as an LE 55 (one chase per case of 36 pieces). This should mean that the production count for the regular FF Huck is 1925, however, I found a listing that said there were 2000 of them (but 2000 isn't divisible by 35 or 36, so I'm guessing it was an estimate. Of course, both numbers could be wrong, but I think 55 is the 'best guess."
Image Image

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:02 pm

I already love this. It seems like there’s always more to learn about the way back before I started collecting and I find it fascinating. Thank you!
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”