A plea from RiotCity!

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
RiotCityHoods
Hall of Fame Class of 2005

A plea from RiotCity!

Postby RiotCityHoods » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:11 pm

Okay...There's no Warped Tour in my area - First time ever...Anyway - Those 20" Bone Daddy's won't last to Cali anyway I'd bet. With that - Anybody who brings an extra person to the show or runs off with an extra while the band's not working (wait until they bend down to tie their Vans)...Seriously if you can get an EXTRA I'd be forever indebted to you...I *might* let you play on my foosball table in Vegas! By the way I'm thinking this table will end up crashing Otto and Mrs O's party in their SUITE! We can just put it on the bed and stand up there and play for a Gold Suit Freddy or something. Think you can take me pal? Bring your pink lip for Freddy!

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS I NEED THAT LTJ 20" AND AS MUCH AS I LIKE WIZEGUY I DON'T WANNA DRIVE TO VENTURA AND BE FORCED TO SIT THROUGH TOO MUCH POP PUNK. I LOVE YOU!

itchykorean

A plea for Itchy

Postby itchykorean » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:55 am

Hey! What's wrong with Pop Punk, Riot? :twisted: I don't plan on going to Warped either, but I could live without the 20" LTJ wobbler. If anyone can score an extra Evo Kid for me, I'd be forever indebted to you. Off to go see Melt Banana. :_r

Holy crap! With this post I'm now a Senior Funatic. I feel old. :roll:

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:08 am

Hey Itchy...I can almost stand punk being the rock of the day but I just can't listen to most of it! Not much worse either then seeing all of the local football team at the show mauling eachother on the dance floor.

JollyOllyOJ

Postby JollyOllyOJ » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:56 am

Hey! What's wrong with Pop Punk, Riot?

Itchy .. there is no such thing as "Pop Punk" .. the words Pop and Punk don't go together .. it's an oxymoron .. like Jumbo Shrimp ..

Pop is the Marcharena (sp) ..

Punk is a Slam Dancing in a Mosh Pit ... (just an example)

That people even say "Pop Punk" means they have no clue what Punk Rock was all about .. people have named there music this because they are lazy .. un-inventive .. and so in-articulate that they can't even come up with an original or uniquie name for there so-called music ..

Poor Sid is spinning in his grave right now as we speak ..

NESSNODDER

SID VICIOUS

Postby NESSNODDER » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:31 am

HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE SID ACTION FIGURE THAT'S OUT? WHO EVER MADE HIM DID A GREAT JOB.

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:11 pm

Yeah the Sid action figure is very cool and cheap too! I gots him.

And Jolly...I KNOW my punk rock my good brother...And there are SEVERAL styles that would legitimately fall within the genre of punk rock. The DESCENDENTS are every bit as punk rock as the SEX PISTOLS just as THE DAMNED are every bit as punk rock as SHAM 69. With THE DAMNED sounding A TON like THE OFFSPRING today.

POP PUNK is no doubt legitimate...It actually started in 1980 within (in my opinion) the MOST IMPORTANT punk rock scene ever...CALIFORNIA HARDCORE - SOCIAL DISTORTION, THE ADOLESCENTS AND THE DESCENDENTS being forefathers.

It's also VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE that the people very involved within punk rock OVER LOTS OF YEARS will usually define the term PUNK ROCK as more of an idea or way of behaving more than music or dancing. Sure there's some division on that but that's okay.

I can't stay listening to the pop punk formula anymore...I really can't. It was stylized 25 years ago by folks who do it better - It's not that I'm bitter about that it's that I'm bored with it. Rest assured that two of the BIGGEST POP PUNK BANDS ever - GREEN DAY (especially) and THE OFFSPRING (not quite as poppy but definately radio friendly) are TRULY INCREDIBLY PUNK ROCK...

I guess my point is that pop and punk together are real but now that it has truly been turned into a formula it's SOOOO BORING.

My two nickels. Paul

wizeguy
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby wizeguy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:05 pm

Frist off,
Riot: Wish you could make the tour, but i have no means of listening to any of the "pop" punk garbage (no offence itchy).
I'm going to see pennywise and the handful of hardcore bands playing this year...

poisonthewell,
avenged sevenfold
from autumn to ashes and other bands like:
Thrice
Andrew WK
face to face

and goofy, i may not be as old as most of you, but in today's times how could you say that that "pop" punk is not a real genre. Think about all of the bands (in my opinion crappy) that have come out recently and are total Poppy punk bands:

New Found Glory (they alright because they have Chad - Ex Shai Hulud)
Good Charlotte (utter crap)
Simple Plan (even Crapier)
SUM 41 (s*** with a capital S)
Blink 182 (still gotta give em props)
and what ever crappy mallcore band that just comes out nowadays.

These bands, whether we like them or not, are the ipitomy (sp?) of pop punk.

These are the bands i don't like to consider punk, but unfortunately they are.

Paul: If these are the bands you don't want to see at the Warped Tour, i completely agree with you!

Sher

Back to the original subject here...

Postby Sher » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:34 pm

If anyone can get myself an extra "Evolution Kid" from on of the shows. Well, I would be thrilled. That is most wanted wobbler. I've been looking forward to it ever since the cereal box.

Please HELP a girl out if U can?

BIG THANKS in advance.

whiskeylip

Postby whiskeylip » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:54 pm

I don't fly the flag of my upbringing to nearly the same degree as Paul, but having gone to my first Black Flag show with The Dicks and a few others at the Mabuhay (1980) and seeing shows almost every weekend after at classic halls like the On Broadway and the Stone and The Farm, I fell very comfortable talking about the punk thing. I can say that "pop punk" is and has been a recognized term for many years (at least out here on the west coast). To say that it is not legitimate or an oxymoron is crap. You may not care for the style and I will refrain from voicing my opinion about various bands but it is, none the less, a very legitimate and recognized term. To dispute it and show such arrogance as to say what is and what is not legit really DOES stray from what punk was all about.

Now since THIS section is supposed ot be about wobblers, I too am looking for 20" LTJ. Fingers crossed...can't wait to get him somehow... :D
Every man deserves his dew...
Tullamore Dew

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:03 pm

You know I love your perspective Whisk...One minor note though...I came in about the same time - for all of you outside California - There was a HUGE influx of youngin's to punk rock in California about 1980. The one thing from my perspective though - is that I stayed very involved until about 5 years ago...Since then though it's still a personal passion and literally think it helped shape me as a person. It's still on my mind to this day as well as all my friends...We haven't strayed from eachother or punk rock for 23 years now. So I'm not waving the flag it's still WAY important to me and my life. Sounds childish I know but what can I say.

One other note...back to the pop-punk piece...BLOOD AND GUTS - DESTROY ALL punk rock never appealed to me in the slightist...With that American hardcore and punk rock wasn't really ever there. Especially California...

Whiskey...Seeing Black Flag AND THE DICKS together is a real treat. Gary Floyd (Dicks singer) is still in SF playing music.

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:05 pm

Oh and Wizeguy...You know how I feel about PENNYWISE...I actually LOVE the first FACE TO FACE record EVEN THOUGH they seriously were a total glam band 2 years before putting out that record! Which to me sounds more like a career move - but the record is great.

whiskeylip

Postby whiskeylip » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:36 pm

Just to clarify... "flying the flag" wasn't a bad thing. Just my way of saying "discuss the topic" :D

:shock: And I WANT that 20" LTJ :shock: !!!!!
Every man deserves his dew...

Tullamore Dew

gline29

Just hought id chime in

Postby gline29 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:56 pm

with all this talk about the punk rock, id thought id chime in and ask you guys a question. since you were in this a while ago and def. before me and you are from california, did any of you see operation ivy before they broke up way back when. just thought id ask. i love that band and it would have been sweet to be able to see them before their demise. thanks

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:28 pm

i did see op ivy a couple of times as i'd go to gilman and hang out...also i did a show in fresno one time with FANG and somebody else did a show just a city away with OP IVY the same night...somehow i caught both. fantastic band of course.

whiskey...understood man...

gline29

very cool

Postby gline29 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:19 pm

thats very cool.

RiotCityHoods

Postby RiotCityHoods » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:56 pm

by the way...if you find the 20" less than jake...don't pick one up for me as i scored one today. thanks though!

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”